Who plays round 1 vs Gold Coast?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Who plays round 1 vs Gold Coast?

Joyce impressed against North and Dogs, Brown & Carlslile both missing and not sure about Roberton, so I reckon Joyce plays.

Marshall was fantastic vs Dogs and has earned a spot, question is do we include Pierce as well?

So how many tall forwards? Membrey is a given and It's good to have Josh Bruce back, wonder if Paddy get's up? If not, I suppose Pierce will ruck and Marshall can play forward.

Missing the JLT were Jack Steven, Blake Acres and Hannebury. Any of these likely to be available and who gives way?

And which of our mature age draft picks play, Parker, Kent or Hind. And who plays small forward? Gresham is a lock, then we have Long, Lonie and the new guys?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who plays round 1 vs Gold Coast?

Probably need a faster squad against the GC, so maybe an extra tall, or slow mid might not work.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Acres to miss a few weeks.
Won't rush in an injured guy, see Weller. That went well, hey.

Parker n Kent for sure.
Joyce gets a gig for me.

Paddy out until cleared by doc.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St Loxton
Club Player

I will have a go

Sav Joyce Gears
Battle Robbo Webster
Sinclair Steele Billings
Membery Bruce Gresh
Kent Paddy Long
Marshall Ross Steven

Dunstan Clark Newnes Parker

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Luke got about 26 touches, but he's too slow and seemed to just bomb it without looking- or am I wrong?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 5:52pm Luke got about 26 touches, but he's too slow and seemed to just bomb it without looking- or am I wrong?
I think they were pretty happy with the two new hot recruits - even King got a couple of kicks - but too lanky & slow atm

Seeya
The_President
Club Player

Dunstan should only ever be a backup. Hope he misses.

takeaway
Club Player

I reckon Dunstan is pretty certain to be in. Played quite well, 20 odd disposals, laid some good tackles, 10 in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is well inside the best 22.

barneyboyz
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 5:52pm Luke got about 26 touches, but he's too slow and seemed to just bomb it without looking- or am I wrong?
He and Seb are serial pests in bombing it long, and I hope they can both remove this from their game. They are far better footballers when given room and time to look, mind you, one previous serial pest Nathan Burke did alright for himself.

FWIW Luke does a lot of real hard work that isn't always noticed, he's a lock for mine

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 12 Mar 2019 10:37pm Dunstan is well inside the best 22.
That is a sad indication of our club if that is the case. Do you think hind Wilkie or Parker did enough for a game, if so whose spot do they take?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Even when Steven and Hannerbury available?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 8:48am
That is a sad indication of our club if that is the case. Do you think hind Wilkie or Parker did enough for a game, if so whose spot do they take?
Be pretty sad if the club doesn't pick a player that proved himself last year as being well inside our best 22 and has been having a great pre season.

Be sad if the club doesn't get team balance right too.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 10:16am
Absolutely. In fact I think players like Luke will improve dramatically with players like DH in the side.

Luke was recruited into a basket case of a club and for a first year player had us all drooling at what he could become, he's had to carry a heavy load without much of a supporting cast around him in most games since.

Expect Luke to be in the top 5 players at this years Trev medal night.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 10:36am
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 10:16am
Absolutely. In fact I think players like Luke will improve dramatically with players like DH in the side.

Luke was recruited into a basket case of a club and for a first year player had us all drooling at what he could become, he's had to carry a heavy load without much of a supporting cast around him in most games since.

Expect Luke to be in the top 5 players at this years Trev medal night.
Geez Cairnsman that's a big call re: Dunstan. I've always been a fan and have really hoped he'd come on well and be a great player for us. I think he's been terribly managed by Richardson and co the last couple of years along with plenty of our players, you just have to shake your head when you think about the players whos careers have stalled/ruined by our rubbish Footy department.

I 100% would love to see him have a great season and elevate his game and help our club climb up the ladder!

Saint wagga
Club Player

Here's my team for round 1:

Webster Joyce Geary
DMac Roberton Battle
Clarke Ross Billings
Membrey Bruce Gresham
Lonie Marshall Long
Fol: Pierce Steele Steven
Int: Dunstan Kent Savage Parker

Personal bias towards an eye still to the future and I'd love to see some trust and responsibility placed on Clarke, Billings, Gresham, Battle, Lonie, Long, Marshall, Pierce

I've picked Roberton, because I think he will either play rd 1 or probably be out long term. There's not much they can do intervention wise and all the test results will be known with plenty of time to assess suitability to keep playing or not, so if he;s not available for rd 1, I don't think it'll be good news longer term.

Same for Paddy really, I mean if he's not right in 2 weeks, then it's not looking good and i'd rather invest time in a forward setup that is more than likely going to be more reliable for the rest of the season, so i've left Mccartin out of my preferred side as i like the Pierce/Marshall combo, think it gives us good Ruck coverage across the ground and marshall shows good forward potential.

Question marks over DMac's fitness but if he's passed fit to play, i want him straight in the best 22, no more resi's time for this guy, he's shown he's up to it and can be part of our future
I've left Acres out because i dont know where he's up to with his injury status. If he's fit, like DMac, I'd personally like him straight in the 1's

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saint Wagga I agree with most of the team but I do have some queries.
No dan hanneberry? I assume you don't think he will be fit
Lonie over Sinclair in the forward pocket? Sinclair was our only elite player until they played him in a role that was not right for him plus Lonie was poor last weekend
Hind was one of the best on ground two weeks ago and we are desperate for pace so why dmac in the back line?

none of these queries are meant in a nasty way just like to hear others views

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I hope Parker and Hind get a game.

Hind reminds me of Rory Laird from Adelaide.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 12:29pm Saint Wagga I agree with most of the team but I do have some queries.
Lonie over Sinclair in the forward pocket? Sinclair was our only elite player until they played him in a role that was not right for him plus Lonie was poor last weekend
Hind was one of the best on ground two weeks ago and we are desperate for pace so why dmac in the back line?

Slight correction there DJH - Sinclair was rated as elite in 2017 by Champion Data in the position of Wing. Yes, he was very good early doors as a small forward but he blossomed when he was allowed to play the link-up man between the defence and Billings at half-forward. There was a point where Sincs was pretty much the only midfielder we had whose disposal by foot wasn't VFL 2nd's standard

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I believe Luke won't play, because:
- he does lots of inside blocking to free up Stuv
- they tried Luke in JLT to see if he can work with, and help Steele, Gresh, etc in the guts
- because Stuv might not play, and Luke didn't do so well in JLT, he's not in my 22 for Rd 1

Saint wagga
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 12:29pm Saint Wagga I agree with most of the team but I do have some queries.

No dramas DJ, left hannerbury out because he’s listed as a definite out I thought. He’s best 22 as soon as fit, hopefully lifts those around him!!

Look, I guess we all have a favourites or biases. I’m a pretty big fan of rewarding afl form, ie: players that finished the year off in the 1’s playing good footy, if their fit, I believe deserve first crack. Pre-season ‘form’ is overrated but that’s just my opinion...hence Lonnie and Dmac’s inclusion. I feel like guys like dunstan, acres, Brandon white etc have been poorly managed with regards to the above. Sure if your injured or clearly underdone or we bring in a gun from outside who plays that position, fair enough, but it’s just one of many bug bears of mine with our footy department over the last few seasons has been over rewarding pre season ‘form’.

Sinclair is an interesting one for mine. If he does get a spot in the side, needs to be consistently good, all that age bracket need to start delivering consistently if they want to be a lock in our best 22. His best is certainly good enough imo.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hind Parker and Young should all play.

We recruited the top ups for this year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 7:13pm Hind Parker and Young should all play.

We recruited the top ups for this year.
I agree. Could understand recruiting 18-19 year olds and trying them out at Sandringham first but what's the point of recruiting these mature age players if you don't give them games in the seniors? They don't need to prove that they can play at State level because I reckon they have actually earned a position on an AFL list due to the fact that they already performed consistently at State level.

Not sure where Hind fits in and what position he plays, but I would expect to see Parker or Young in the forward line each week (or both if Lonie or others are out of form or injured). It'd be pretty strange if we've recruited them to just mainly play VFL but I wouldn't be surprised. If you don't give them ample opportunity it makes no sense however I'm sure Phillips, Paton and a few others would also like the same opportunities.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2019 5:39pm

Slight correction there DJH - Sinclair was rated as elite in 2017 by Champion Data in the position of Wing. Yes, he was very good early doors as a small forward but he blossomed when he was allowed to play the link-up man between the defence and Billings at half-forward. There was a point where Sincs was pretty much the only midfielder we had whose disposal by foot wasn't VFL 2nd's standard
Thanks for the polite correction. I always viewed him as a small forward as he tended to be up forward either setting up or shooting at goal but I rechecked and he did play midfield in the 2017 as well.