Sam Rowe might be on the cards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Sam Rowe might be on the cards

Heard a rumour that we might pickup ex Carlton player Sam Rowe before the cutoff today.

He is 31 so I'm guessing it would just be for a short term needs based fill.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Sam Rowe might be on the cards

We could do worse, solid KPD and he's a solid citizen

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 8:24am he's a solid citizen
But does he come from a good family? :wink:
Did he go to a private school? :wink:

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Having a medical apparently.

guitars4
Club Player

I don't rate him continually makes poor decisions & is the turn over king. We already have plenty of player's with sloppy skills we really don't need another IMO.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Would much rather we got Billy Hartung, who will would be pretty valuable with the new rule changes.

He's also only 24 and has a load of footy ahead of him.

We can survive R1 & R2 with a defence of Austin, Marsh, Joyce & Battle. Rowe is 31 and there's not much future there. I'd like to think we can recruit guys who can play for a few years yet.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe talk to BJ!

shrodes
SS Life Member

Got a proper source now:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/14/ ... -backline/
Herald Sun journalist and SEN newsman Sam Edmund has revealed St Kilda is targeting former Carlton defender Sam Rowe.

Under the AFL’s new supplementary selection period rules, clubs can fill empty spots on their list with players currently out of the system.

Edmund believes the Saints are looking to add to their depleted defensive stocks with the ex-Carlton defender.

“We know Jake Carlisle is out long-term with the back, young key back Oscar Clavarino is out as well, there’s a doubt on Dylan Roberton and Nathan Brown for good measure is suspended for Round 1,” Edmund told SEN Breakfast.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Confirmed by the club. Sam Rowe has been signed.

Crossy66
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:54am Would much rather we got Billy Hartung, who will would be pretty valuable with the new rule changes.

He's also only 24 and has a load of footy ahead of him.

We can survive R1 & R2 with a defence of Austin, Marsh, Joyce & Battle. Rowe is 31 and there's not much future there. I'd like to think we can recruit guys who can play for a few years yet.
Billy wont replace Robbo or Paddy or Carlisle, Clav etc. Its tall backs we are short on.
At the start of the year i thought Billy might be worth adding to the list because he has a point of difference - speed and run. But reality is we preferred Parker, Hind, young etc so Billy would struggle to get a go.

guitars4
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:00am Maybe talk to BJ!
We could do a lot worse that's for sure :wink:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:54am Billy wont replace Robbo or Paddy or Carlisle, Clav etc. Its tall backs we are short on.
But we'll get back Nathan Brown by Round 3 to help Logan Austin. And we've taken Marsh. Plus Battle has been training as a defender; Joyce looks markedly improved.

I was really impressed by Wilkie, who at 22 is fully grown (with big SANFL experience) and is a play I'd have been happy to elevate - a Roberton clone.

And then a third-year Clavarino comes into mid-year calculations.

Whilst it's hardly a brilliant defence, I liked the idea of giving out opportunities to these guys and seeing if they could make it. We're not going to make the finals and we have to find more defenders for the future. This is how you do it.

Rowe plugs a gap for 6-7 games, tops. If you're only doing that, why not recruit Goddard and get some real leadership and a quality 22 games?
At the start of the year i thought Billy might be worth adding to the list because he has a point of difference - speed and run. But reality is we preferred Parker, Hind, young etc so Billy would struggle to get a go.
I'm about "spot-by-spot" management. For example, who would you rather: Hugh Goddard or Jon Marsh? Marsh for me, so that justifies the end game there.

I'd still put Hartung as a player who would be close to our best 25 and could well push above plenty of others. I hope we take a look at him in the mid-season draft.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:13pm
But we'll get back Nathan Brown by Round 3 to help Logan Austin. And we've taken Marsh. Plus Battle has been training as a defender; Joyce looks markedly improved.

I was really impressed by Wilkie, who I'd have been happy to elevate - a Roberton clone.

And then a third-year Clavarino comes into mid-year calculations.

Whilst it's hardly a brilliant defence, I liked the idea of giving out opportunities to these guys and seeing if they could make it. We're not going to make the finals and we have to find more defenders for the future. This is how you do it.
Exactly

Desperately bringing in a washed up 31yo at the last minute, seriously this club is an absolute joke, a total basket case.

Facepalm on steroids

WHY WHY WHY

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brandon White and Bailey Rice are thrilled

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Seems very knee-jerky to me, just adding depth to our depth instead of giving a one of our young guys (Wilkie springs to mind) a crack, or changing our defence structure. On the up side he can pinch hit in ruck, and was a decent forward early in his career. I'd imagine he's as cheap as cheap can get, but thought BJ (despite the finger pointing and pretzel assaulting) or a younger missed draftee/rookie would have been a better target .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Posters keep mentioning Logan Austin and ignoring Joyce. Why?

Joyce is a shoe in for round one. Austin isn't.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

From BigFooty
mad-saint-guy wrote:I'm on board with the signing of Marsh but Rowe absolutely staggers me. We already have an old stodgy stopper with no future in Brown; why the hell would we sign another one?

Yes our defensive stocks have taken a hit with our two best defenders out for the year. But we still have Brown, Joyce, Austin, Webster, Geary, Savage, Webster, Battle, McKenzie, Clavarino, Wilkie, White, Rice, Newnes, Marsh and Paton on the list. We need a backup ruckman far more than another defender. Last week our available rucks stocks consisted of Marshall and Alabakis.

Given that McCartin is probably finished as well, King is a few years off and Battle is being used in defense it would have made much more sense to recruit McLean.
That first point is absolutely right.

Saint wagga
Club Player

We have 1 proven afl standard fullback on our list - Nathan Brown...who is 32?33? He's not immune to injury.

We have no other AFL proven 'full back', not centre half back, not running half back flanker, full back, that plays on the oppositions biggest, least mobile forward.

I believe that is why we have signed Rowe - because that is what he is, an AFL proven full back, Is he Daniel Talia...no...but imo, given our current list and injury dramas, it's a reasonable descision. No hystrionics required I reckon.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Sam Rowe is added for one year most likely in a tutor kind of role for the younger guys I guess. But when Carlton cuts you for not being good enough for their backline it's a huge worry. It's for one year in a season over before it begins.

Think of the draft picks this year. If we come dead last and Paddy retires and then we may get a priority pick.

Trying for a silver lining here

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I also agree with the last point from mad-saint-guy about McLean.

The Recruit
Club Player

Is anyone replacing longer..?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:54pm I also agree with the last point from mad-saint-guy about McLean.
Too late though, unfortunately, plus he's what, 19?

takeaway
Club Player

Billy is irreplaceable. Marsh & Rowe are of course short term replacements for our sudden lack of KPDs. I assume they would have to earn a spot in the 22, but quite a sensible move by the club imo.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:09pm Billy is irreplaceable. Marsh & Rowe are of course short term replacements for our sudden lack of KPDs. I assume they would have to earn a spot in the 22, but quite a sensible move by the club imo.
That's the problem though, Marsh is potentially a 10 year player and adds value to the team instantly...Rowe is the guy they delisted to bring in Hugh Goddard! :shock: I can't see much benefit in his appointment, but I hope I'm wrong...maybe we won't use him at all? And...I think Billy's already been replaced.