COFFIELD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

COFFIELD

Wondering where he is at,i know it’s only his second season and he played 10/12 games last year but on the back of a supposed great preseason our no 8 pick hasn’t been sighted much.What are our expectations for him this year and in the future?

PADDLEPOP1000
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: COFFIELD

My gut feel is he will be a major disappointment.

Just seems a bit of a plodder with no wow factor.

Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t seem to be in our best 22

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

He is still only a teenager and won't turn 20 until the season is well and truly over.

To early to write him off yet.

Give the kid a break, or a chance maybe even.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 6:02pm He is still only a teenager and won't turn 20 until the season is well and truly over.

To early to write him off yet.

Give the kid a break, or a chance maybe even.
You may be right but I’ve had a gutful of waiting for the kids to come good. The good ones generally show something in their first year to make you think yep we have a good ‘un here.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 5:56pm My gut feel is he will be a major disappointment.

wow just wow, firstly, he is one of the quickest players on our list, so he no where near a plodder. Secondly he is only 19 years old and has shown more than enough in the games that he has played to show that he has the potential to be a very, very good footballer.
He is 191cm, has great speed, great evasive skills, good in traffic and is a beautiful kick.
He will be a star

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 5:56pm My gut feel is he will be a major disappointment.

I have openly stated multiple times that it was a mistake to get him. Not because he was a bad player but we didnt need yet another HB f#@king flanker.

He does have zero x factor and out of place a little at AFL level that is true but...

that is not why we got him. He is cool under pressure, solid as a rock defender with great efficiency who marshals most back lines he plays in. He has the toughest position to break into with so much competition and he is only young. Yes Hunter Clarke is further ahead of him at this point but give the kid a chance FFS. Not all stars launch in their first year or two

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plodder?

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/ ... -coffield/
Coffield tested as one of the fastest players in the draft pool with a sub-three second 20m sprint time. Add to that his sizable vertical leap, 190cm frame and strong hands, and you have a ready-made AFL athlete. The most promising thing about Coffield is that he combines his athletic traits with a high-level football IQ, which has inevitably seen him draw comparisons to Scott Pendlebury.

2017 NAB AFL Draft Combine top performers

Smartspeed 20-metre sprint
Jack Petruccelle - 2.87 seconds
Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 7:02pm

Plodder?

Coffield tested as one of the fastest players in the draft pool with a sub-three second 20m sprint time. Add to that his sizable vertical leap, 190cm frame and strong hands, and you have a ready-made AFL athlete. The most promising thing about Coffield is that he combines his athletic traits with a high-level football IQ, which has inevitably seen him draw comparisons to Scott Pendlebury.

Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97
He was also in the bottom 3 (pretty sure or thereabouts) youngest players in the comp last year - not sure what people expect.

I 100% agree we don't need another half back flanker - so if he is currently a few spots behind getting a game in the midfield right now - at 19 YEARS OLD - I am all for having him stay at Sandy for a bit and play midfield - even if its all year ( barring injury to the first line players) - if he breaks into midfield permanently at 20 I would say hes done very well .

I think without having hardly seen him play live that hes going to be great - not fussed if that greatness hasnt started already by this weekend

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 7:25pm
He was also in the bottom 3 (pretty sure or thereabouts) youngest players in the comp last year - not sure what people expect.

Good point. Coffield is only 4 months older than Bytel and 8 months older than Max King. All three must be on the scrap heap.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

He has a beautiful sidestep - reminds me of lenny for that. Be nice if he could also learn to tackle as hard as lenny.

stonecold
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 6:40pm

wow just wow, firstly, he is one of the quickest players on our list, so he no where near a plodder. Secondly he is only 19 years old and has shown more than enough in the games that he has played to show that he has the potential to be a very, very good footballer.
He is 191cm, has great speed, great evasive skills, good in traffic and is a beautiful kick.
He will be a star
Younger, faster (hopefully better) version of Acres!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Vazelos
Club Player

I can’t believe some of the comments on Coffield he showed plenty on his first year the only way is up for this boy. I saw enough to suggest he will have a good career

silverhalo
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:12pm I can’t believe some of the comments on Coffield he showed plenty on his first year the only way is up for this boy. I saw enough to suggest he will have a good career
Nick Coffield shows great potential and will be a long term St.Kilda player, make no mistake about it.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nice first game - I think he kicked a goal - then seemed to be managed by the numbers. For all AR's obvious strengths I sometimes wonder about his ability to judge a player and how best to use his talents. AR seems from a far distance to expect: a half dozen exceptional VFL games then a game starting on the bench then a back pocket or HBF gig for one game, maybe two if you score then back to the VFL to learn your trade then wait for injuries for an opportunity. A mid or forward role is out of the question for a couple of years unless you are Ben Long/Jade Gresham/J. Billings. So its all so circuitously self fulfilling. Coffield looked to have so much more to offer than a few that regularly got games in a terribly performing side last year. Go figure. I just hope he and the other young talent we do have don't just get pissed off by a lack of opportunity.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Coff had 23 in the first Sandy preseason game, which was equal second most for Sandy after Marshall. I was surprised that we didn't select him for JLT 2. No idea how Coff went in the second game as it seems there's a dearth of information on that game. Even if he had a bad game, you'd think, with Robbo out for the year, Coff would be around about the mark for selection.
Last edited by vacuous space on Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
guitars4
Club Player

Was touted as a ready to go player at the start of last season & now can't get a game in a depleted team destined to finish near the bottom. I'm not writing him off but for a top 10 pick IMO he has stagnated .

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Not every player in a side has to have wowee factor. If they did then who would do the grunt work? :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
st.rod
Club Player

Second year blues? Happened to many who turned out to be champions

minneapolis
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 7:02pm

Plodder?

Kane Farrell - 2.90
Aiden Bonar - 2.90
Ben Miller - 2.91
Nick Coffield - 2.91
Ben Paton - 2.95
Brent Daniels - 2.95
Stefan Okunbar - 2.95
Jaidyn Stephenson - 2.95
Nicholas Shipley - 2.97
Tested faster than Jaidyn Stephenson from Collingwood. That's pretty exciting.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It’s only exciting if he’s in the team,our development of our kids needs to improve hugely!

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

One big problem has been that our list lacks skill and quality. Coff has both and just needs time to develop.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He looks to me like he has lost a little confidence from he first arrived. Hopefully they can settle him on a back flank for the year and let him regain the faith in his game. Move him into the midfield later in his career once he is killing from the back half.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

st.rod wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:23pm Second year blues? Happened to many who turned out to be champions
wtf?

His 'second year' of AFL hasn't even started.

As you say, he could be a champion and it's ridiculous that some want to write him off

It's also funny when some of the fans say they're impatiaent with his development when he's still on trainer wheels and still a teenager

outside66
Club Player

Geez there are some cooked units in this forum, ffs. I can't believe that there are people writing off a bloke for not getting a JLT game?? His composure is second to none, has excellent game nous (this cannot be coached - you either have it or you dont) and personally, I reckon the coaches have challenged him to potentially play a slightly different role to last year hence plying his preseason in Sandy.

I think with Robbo going out, Coff may be called upon to potentially play in a similar vein. I don't know the answers but what I consider to be fact is that this bloke is coming into his SECOND year and showed plenty in the games he played last year. So it seems some folk prefer to be misery guts' and try to make issues out of nothing.

I'll eat my words if need be but I reckon this bloke will be a 200 + player for our club. Let's just hope he doesn't read this forum.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I suspect the reason for his drop in form and confidence is due to the fact that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder when he's very clearly your classic rebounding half back. Ideally he should be pushing Savage out of the side and becoming our new distributor from defence but our recruiters and coaches have a morbid fascination with recruiting flankers and trying to turn them into mids.