Cautiously optimistic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cautiously optimistic

Based on the pre-season injury/illness woes, together with the general feeling in the footy world that we were in for "more of the same", I entered season 2019 with some trepidation. I know it's VERY early days, but what I've seen thus far from the side has largely negated much of my fear. The two games so far have seen an important difference in attitude and heart from the side. The wins have been far from pretty, but give me, for one, much cause for optimism that perhaps we're not quite the "easy beats" that most pundits forecast we would be.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Cautiously optimistic

I too am feeling a little more positive but know in my heart of hearts that a lot of the problems we've encountered are still there largely unresolved. Namely, (1) poor goal kicking; (2) poor footskills; (3) a tendency to revert to type when under pressure and kick long bombs to the forwards; (4) one paced midfield when Jack S isn't playing as a mid.

But - I'm loving the renewed vigour in the contest (tackling is much better); the whole-ground defence is back and pressing up against teams is working so far; the run and carry of Gresham and the return of 2015 version of Bruce who clunks contested grabs. As much as anything - I love how Billings can use his creativity off a wing and set play up.

Go you red, black & white warriors
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:27am I too am feeling a little more positive but know in my heart of hearts that a lot of the problems we've encountered are still there largely unresolved. Namely, (1) poor goal kicking; (2) poor footskills; (3) a tendency to revert to type when under pressure and kick long bombs to the forwards; (4) one paced midfield when Jack S isn't playing as a mid.

But - I'm loving the renewed vigour in the contest (tackling is much better); the whole-ground defence is back and pressing up against teams is working so far; the run and carry of Gresham and the return of 2015 version of Bruce who clunks contested grabs. As much as anything - I love how Billings can use his creativity off a wing and set play up.
Fair comment Colleague. I guess I'm basing the feelings of optimism I've had so far, on the fact that in both games (GC & Essendon) there have been patches were the momentum has been wrested away from us, but the side have dug in deep and scrapped for the wins. I realise of course that our opponents in round one were hardly being touted as flag material, however, they brought a strong game and it was full credit to our lads that they hung in. Essendon, (even after that awful hammering by GWS) were tipped by everyone to smash us as they "made a statement" I felt apprehensive about the game myself. Man-for-man, the two sides were GALAXIES apart in experience and talent (on paper) the manner in which the Saints went about their work made a mockery of that. The changes in the coaching box also give me great reasons for hope. I'm NOT proclaiming that we're finals-bound....or even top 8........(YET!) What I am trying to articulate, is that there are solid signs, even after only two rounds that we now have something to build with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Suns beat Freo who were an 80 odd points winner the week before. Not the easybeats everyone makes them out to be.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 1:53pm The Suns beat Freo who were an 80 odd points winner the week before. Not the easybeats everyone makes them out to be.
mn...Freo?
They will have a different team to the one that beat us last year over there in Round 8, 2018.
We, on the otherhand, will still have 75% of the team that went over there and walked into the rooms at halftime with 1.5 on the scoreboard, but then came out and kicked six in the third to close to 14 points behind.

We have the new X factor and with Parker and Wilkie etc., Hopefully, our tattooed Full-forward will kick straighter because we had many chances then.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

We played well against them last year in general play and it was only the accuracy and Fyfe knocking Carlisle out that cost us.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm (to quote the well-worn cliche') taking the season a game at a time. Fremantle will be a tough nut to crack over there on their own midden. However, as shanegrambeau correctly points out, we have an "X factor" in "Nosey" Parker as well as Jade Gresham finding another level of his exciting game. Add the contributions from Brown, Webster and Wilkie at the back, and there is absolutely NO reason why we should not give the Dockers a real hard contest. If I'm honest, this would loom as a game we could drop IF we don't carry the same attitude we showed against Essendon. We already have 50% of the total wins for last season. Nothing to get carried away about, BUT (IMHO) certainly grounds to be "Cautiously optimistic"

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lids off.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
guitars4
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 4:00pm I'm (to quote the well-worn cliche') taking the season a game at a time. Fremantle will be a tough nut to crack over there on their own midden. However, as shanegrambeau correctly points out, we have an "X factor" in "Nosey" Parker as well as Jade Gresham finding another level of his exciting game. Add the contributions from Brown, Webster and Wilkie at the back, and there is absolutely NO reason why we should not give the Dockers a real hard contest. If I'm honest, this would loom as a game we could drop IF we don't carry the same attitude we showed against Essendon. We already have 50% of the total wins for last season. Nothing to get carried away about, BUT (IMHO) certainly grounds to be "Cautiously optimistic"
Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic Jigster but there's nothing wrong with being cautiously realistic either. :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 4:20pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 4:00pm I'm (to quote the well-worn cliche') taking the season a game at a time. Fremantle will be a tough nut to crack over there on their own midden. However, as shanegrambeau correctly points out, we have an "X factor" in "Nosey" Parker as well as Jade Gresham finding another level of his exciting game. Add the contributions from Brown, Webster and Wilkie at the back, and there is absolutely NO reason why we should not give the Dockers a real hard contest. If I'm honest, this would loom as a game we could drop IF we don't carry the same attitude we showed against Essendon. We already have 50% of the total wins for last season. Nothing to get carried away about, BUT (IMHO) certainly grounds to be "Cautiously optimistic"
Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic Jigster but there's nothing wrong with being cautiously realistic either. :wink:
Fair comment Colleague! :D Hence the reason why I'm "Cautiously optimistically realistic!" (or words to that effect!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

beteasy has Freo at short price odds, we're over $3 again, like last week.
From what I understand of betting, it's not what the bookies think will happen,
but the odds are based on how much money is bet on the result.
Long odds for us means that a lot less people have put money on us, compared to Dockers.
So the bookies want to make money, they offer very short price on where most of the bets are.

[Edit: we've shortened a bit to $2.85, which means some more money has been wagered on us.
The line is 15.5 points, which is pretty close]
Last edited by WellardSaint on Tue 02 Apr 2019 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 4:36pm beteasy has Freo at short price odds, we're over $3 again, like last week.
From what I understand of betting, it's not what the bookies think will happen,
but the odds are based on how much money is bet on the result.
Long odds for us means that a lot less people have put money on us, compared to Dockers.
So the bookies want to make money, they offer very short price on where most of the bets are.

[Edit: we've shortened a bit to $2.85, which means some more money has been wagered on us.
The line is 15.5 points, which is pretty close]
How interesting. I wonder what the Bookies were offering for us prior to the Essendung match? :)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Jiggly,
we were paying $3.85 last week from memory. I recall it was well over $3...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Look out, the Bandwagon is filling up!!!!!

No stress, still plenty of room on here, (not many of us true supporters remained on board the whole journey), I'm sure our first loss will empty some seats, haha, not long again till it's just the few true supporters left on board, nothing more certain!!!!! ;)

Nice to have some more positive company all the same!!!!! ;)

All aboard, many no-sayers getting off @ our next loss!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 5:05pm Look out, the Bandwagon is filling up!!!!!

No stress, still plenty of room on here, (not many of us true supporters remained on board the whole journey), I'm sure our first loss will empty some seats, haha, not long again till it's just the few true supporters left on board, nothing more certain!!!!! ;)

Oh really... :shock:
Guess what.
I am going. :mrgreen:
Will be in Section 536, up in the nosebleeds, high up
(that's the section the club was allocated by the inbreds of Optus Stadium)
Sitting amongst a huge contingent of fellow Sainters.
We made a lot of noise last year, it came over well on TV.
Keep an ear peeled for our cheering!

guitars4
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 5:05pm Look out, the Bandwagon is filling up!!!!!

Don't really know what your trying to say ? Who is on the bandwagon ? :?

stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 5:17pm

Oh really... :shock:
Guess what.
I am going. :mrgreen:
Will be in Section 536, up in the nosebleeds, high up
(that's the section the club was allocated by the inbreds of Optus Stadium)
Sitting amongst a huge contingent of fellow Sainters.
We made a lot of noise last year, it came over well on TV.
Keep an ear peeled for our cheering!
👍👍👍👍👍

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:14am Based on the pre-season injury/illness woes, together with the general feeling in the footy world that we were in for "more of the same", I entered season 2019 with some trepidation. I know it's VERY early days, but what I've seen thus far from the side has largely negated much of my fear. The two games so far have seen an important difference in attitude and heart from the side. The wins have been far from pretty, but give me, for one, much cause for optimism that perhaps we're not quite the "easy beats" that most pundits forecast we would be.
What's with all this cautious BS Jigster?

Turn the clock back and start wearing ya weekend undies on a weekday again.

Cautious optimism is 2 things, an oxymoron, and just plain unbecoming of you sir.

Your team needs your total health and happiness and unshackled optimism.

GO THE SAINTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 6:28pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 11:14am Based on the pre-season injury/illness woes, together with the general feeling in the footy world that we were in for "more of the same", I entered season 2019 with some trepidation. I know it's VERY early days, but what I've seen thus far from the side has largely negated much of my fear. The two games so far have seen an important difference in attitude and heart from the side. The wins have been far from pretty, but give me, for one, much cause for optimism that perhaps we're not quite the "easy beats" that most pundits forecast we would be.
What's with all this cautious BS Jigster?

Turn the clock back and start wearing ya weekend undies on a weekday again.

Cautious optimism is 2 things, an oxymoron, and just plain unbecoming of you sir.

Your team needs your total health and happiness and unshackled optimism.

GO THE SAINTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fair comment Colleague. SO!......... from here on in I resolve to be "Cautiously, optimistically realistic, while being healthily and happily unshackled"!!!! What could go wrong??? :? :? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i've said it before..I'll say it again...we can't kick to save ourselves ..we are in for some terrible beltings and I feel a bit sorry for some on here that have their hopes up after a couple mediocre wins over some very ordinary opposition.

Just sayin.

Kilda
Club Player

With due respect, The Fireman, you may be neglecting one quality that was particularly evident in the final 20 mins of last Saturday’s game. Our players willed themselves over the line... they were a united front and weren’t going to relinquish their lead. You could sense it; that magical quality where the total output is greater than the sum of its parts.

Yes, the team has its inadequacies (as others have correctly outlined) but don’t underestimate the power of a united front. If, and it’s a big If, we can sustain that collective will, it will take us places that defy our noted deficits.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

More fun to hope for the best and be disappointed than expect the worst - and still be disappointed!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Just taking it one week at a time...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 10:28pm i've said it before..I'll say it again...we can't kick to save ourselves ..we are in for some terrible beltings and I feel a bit sorry for some on here that have their hopes up after a couple mediocre wins over some very ordinary opposition.

Just sayin.
You just want to finish bottom again don’t you?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2019 7:27am
The Fireman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2019 10:28pm i've said it before..I'll say it again...we can't kick to save ourselves ..we are in for some terrible beltings and I feel a bit sorry for some on here that have their hopes up after a couple mediocre wins over some very ordinary opposition.

Just sayin.
You just want to finish bottom again don’t you?
I want a flag but having endured the heartache for as long as I have ...I have adopted a more realistic outlook and dumped false hope. Finishing last helps other clubs, we squander any benefit of being last.