Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan

In my opinion the most fascinating player on the list.

I imagine that many like myself, after watching his first few games had him stamped as future captain.

Unfortunately he didn’t continue along a consistent upward trajectory in the following seasons but that was to be expected to a degree because
a) he isn’t abundantly blessed with speed and skill to polish up his performance

And more notably
b) he needed a much bigger tank and the standard is so high these days that most young players need a season or two to get their fitness to the level where they can actually do the work required to keep up.

In addition to this, Luke hasn’t exactly been blessed with the most talented support mids around him... he’s had to take on a much more senior/relied upon role that what was perhaps reasonably expected.

Hence over the last 2 years, he’s had patches of form where he’s looked about ready to take the next step, patches of form that have made people question whether he has a weapon, and of course patches at Sandy.

My impression of him is that he’s the spiritual successor to a guy like David Armitage and pbly set up better then David was having gotten a lot more games under his belt early in his career. He’s a bull at the contest.
The knock unfortunately is that whilst we don’t need him to have a brilliant outside game... he’s prone to not getting enough possessions for a player with more of an inside game. Far too many 15-18 possession games, not enough 25+. What’s interesting however is that he’s also one of the guys on the list that’s prone to doing a couple of really superb plays per game that really stand out e.g. that contest vs Goldcoast that pbly saved the game... and the odd thing that makes you shake your head.

Reading this forum, it’s been a bit hard to gauge what ppl think. He’s both heavily praised in quarters and also a name that has regularly popped up in the who might make way discussions.

So what do people think. Where’s Luke at?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan

Just to add (can't edit)... how good do we think he can be and what will it take for him to get there?

He clearly has the drive. Could he get to Lenny Hayes standard?

barneyboyz
Club Player

For a couple of those years he wasn't fit, and considering his limitations which you have mentioned, he has suffered. But for me, I see Luke in a similar light to Lonie i.e. has the heart and determination to be the best version of his role type, which may just get him over the line.

It will be very interesting to see where both of those players are in another 5 years

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Luke Dunstan has the drive and ability to put himself comfortably inside our best 22, but he needs consistency. The pressure will be on when Hannebery is fit and ready to go.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks skeptic, an excellent assessment of Luke Dunstan.

My fear is that he may leave St Kilda, perhaps traded for a 2nd round draft pick, and become a great player for another club. An example of a kid being asked to do a man's job at a young age, struggling and not appreciated by his own fans and club.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Dunstan is just one of those blokes you always need on your list. Yes, he will probably never be A grade but if Steele or Ross went down long term for example then he could easily step in and do a great job. He just provides excellent depth to the midfield. With the new rules, his work is more valued, especially in centre bounces. He is now a man and it shows on the field. Definite keeper.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Like Sinclair, Dunstan will follow up a 10 possession quarter with a 1 or 2 possession quarter. Rarely gets over 20 possessions per game, and frequently gets around 15 per game. Those numbers just don't stack up for a midfielder. Last week, Dunstan and Sinclair combined got the same possessions as Billings. I have not seen him put in 4 quarters of consistency football in a game in the past three seasons. He may have only done it an handful of times in his 85 games. He's had two shoulder reconstructions, which haven't helped him, but the clock is ticking, and unless he finds the consistency of output and improves his sloppy disposal, then Clark will succeed him rather than play alongside him. He's tough on the inside, but gets burnt on the outside, and his lack of aerobic fitness means he's often too knackered to chose opponents.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Chase opponents, that is

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Often looks lazy to me, especially after being dropped to Sandy.
The problem seems to be between the ears. Needs to get his attitude right and he'll be a very good player.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
takeaway
Club Player

With Armo virtually gone, Dunstan is our main bull in the contests. I don't think he will ever be a consistent high possession player, and don't think he needs to be. He needs to get the ball out, block and clear a path for the better outside disposers such as JB and Gresh, to increase their disposals, rather than get piles of disposals himself. A lot of his stats aren't counted as stats, numbers aren't everything for a midfielder. In fact, stats imo are overrated. Steele is also good in and under, you need a couple. I haven't really seen him fail to chase opponents any more than other players. Be interesting when Hannebury is available.

Crossy66
Club Player

I think he is generally best 22, but I can see that opposition clubs could look to exploit his lack of speed. If you look at this week on a bigger ground, It may be smarter to choose "horses for courses" and add say a Clark who covers the ground better and has a damaging kick. Lyon is the sort of coach that would look to exploit this.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I still want to like him, but my god he can be wasteful. I've never seen a player so slowly telegraph their next move, the opposition picks him off on the outside far too easily. On the flip side, if he remains a dedicated inside mid, don't expect too many 25 possession games. As long as he's not burning it, I don't care.

milney044
Club Player

I like him, always have. I think his in and under work and quick hands either doesn't get the praise it deserves or goes unnoticed. He does a lot of the grunt work and i think his role can be "unglamorous" at times.

Sure he's had bad patches of form but ultimately i like our team better when he's in the 22. It was nice to see him kick that goal on the weekend as a bit of a reward for the selfless stuff he does. I'm happy with his 18 touches when he's doing the team stuff - so far so good.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I think he's a depth player at best - shows excellent desire (at times) but does nothing above average that sets him apart. That he's in our best 22 speaks volumes of what we don't have. He's hard at the contest but has the wrong body for AFL footy in the modern era. He's a taller Greg Burns. I can't help but think how good our forwards could be if they didn't have a poor kicking Ross and Dunstan ahead of him. I for one cannot wait until Hunter plays more mid - we need classy ball use - not another hunter/gatherer.

Funnily enough - I watched the game on Saturday at the ground thinking how much Essendon needed a Dunstan to put his head over it to gather contested ball and feed the runners and how much better we'd be with Shiel's outside run and polish.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He is not the answer as our inside gun - too small and too slow with iffy hand disposal

If Hannebury gets fit he will play ahead of Dunstan

Looking forward to seeing Bytel get on the track - is the prototype modern inside mid - 190cm, big bodied, strong, can rack up possessions and go forward and hit the scoreboard and loves a tackle - likely would have gone top 10 if it weren't for the back issue

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
guitars4
Club Player

I like him but he doesn't have any weapons so to speak,he's not quick, he's not a great decision maker,he's disposal is average & he not a noted goal kicker but he does provide inside grunt which is good but not really game changing . I think he's has stagnated over the past few years as another poster said has blocks of good games but falls away again. I think he's been ok this year so far & has played his role but will need to lift IMO to become a regular starter.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Luke simply doesnt have the tools to be a starting 22 in any AFL finals side. His one feature is winning contested balls but what he does with them is the issue. He is slow and an ordinary kick particular when at full space, even his handballing is not top level. He will remain on the list until we recruit or develop other ball winners, but I cant see him having a long AFL career.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2019 7:13pm Luke simply doesnt have the tools to be a starting 22 in any AFL finals side. His one feature is winning contested balls but what he does with them is the issue. He is slow and an ordinary kick particular when at full space, even his handballing is not top level. He will remain on the list until we recruit or develop other ball winners, but I cant see him having a long AFL career.
I guess you missed the goal he kicked against the drug cheats then.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Saintsational has to have its whipping boy, guess it's Luke atm

If you look at our midfield over the last 3 years, a couple of good outside types have been missed. This however is not Luke's fault, but simply exposes his deficiencies. Make no mistake, if you threw him into that Geelong side last night, he'd have been a real compliment.

That said, with Gresh, Clark, Sinclair and Co now getting better, let's watch Luke prosper. His type will always be needed in AFL football

You don't always know what you have, Go Saints

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He’s not and never will be the messiah. But I reckon he has another two gears we haven’t seen yet. There have been some good signs that is season that he really wants to be there ...

Always loyal
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2019 5:03pm He is not the answer as our inside gun - too small and too slow with iffy hand disposal
Sums it up, unfortunately