Clark facing the axe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Clark facing the axe

From AFL.com

"ST KILDA is considering dropping highly touted midfielder Hunter Clark as coach Alan Richardson mulls over the best way to break the first-round draftee out of his "slump".

The Saints face West Coast at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night and Clark has averaged 13 disposals through three games this season.

Doubt is swirling over the availability of Jack Newnes, who ran laps briefly alongside Jimmy Webster (left hand) before the pair went inside.

Newnes has lined up in 117 straight games, the second-longest active streak behind evergreen Port Adelaide tall Justin Westhoff (130).

Tough defender Jimmy Webster needs to train well on Thursday to prove his fitness after hurting his left hand in the loss to Greater Western Sydney.

Clark's lacklustre start comes after being considered one of the big improvers at the club during the pre-season.

"I think Hunter's going to be an outstanding player for our footy club. Right now, he's been struggling a bit," Richardson said.

"We've spoken about that long and hard in match committee, do we keep him going, do we put him back to build a bit of confidence and a bit of belief in the VFL. We've done that once already."

Clark was drafted at No.7 in 2017.

"Right now, he's in a little bit of a slump, but we'll make sure whether he's in or out, we'll support him and make sure he gets back playing good strong footy really quickly," Richardson said.

Meanwhile, last year's No.4 pick Max King will finally take to the field after a right knee reconstruction and is set to play about 80 per cent game time in the VFL on Sunday afternoon at Victoria Park against Collingwood.

Richardson said electric forward Robbie Young and speedy backman Nick Hind were in the conversation to debut, while Luke Dunstan has been "really strong" in the VFL and Ed Phillips improving for Sandringham.

Find AFL Exchange on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.

Veteran defender Nathan Brown looks likely to be recalled to take on Eagles spearhead Josh Kennedy.

"There'll be a couple of changes. We still need to see Jimmy Webster get through. Jimmy won't do everything out there today, to give him every opportunity (to play)," Richardson said.

"We're quietly confident that he'll get up but he needs to get through."

Captain Jarryn Geary took to the track and was jogging, almost three weeks after an operation on his right thigh for compartment syndrome.

Star defender Jake Carlisle is impressing with his recovery from back surgery and ran on Tuesday.

"He's going well, Jake. As people step up their load, you've got your fingers crossed a little bit, but he's going really well," Richardson said.

"In fact, he's probably ahead of schedule, which is exciting."

Ruckman Lewis Pierce is still battling concussion, a month after his head knock, and was been restricted to running laps, while young defender Oscar Clavarino looks set to resume in the VFL against the Pies after right ankle surgery

required for an injury sustained during an intraclub in February."

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Clark facing the axe

There's a really uncertain tradeoff between getting games into guys like Clark and rewarding those who are overachieving in the VFL. TBH I think we need to reward some of the good performances.

Always loyal
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we are serious contenders in 2019 then fair enough, but with our injuries to key personnel, isn't it time the footy department reassess their goals for this year?

I believe young blokes need a plan. They need certainty and they need a disciplined coach who they can trust. Tell the kid at the start of the year that when he earns a call up to the seniors that you'll give him 4 games minimum no matter what.

Talking about a young bloke in his second year of AFL/VFL footy and using terms like "he's been struggling a bit" is the usual bs we've come to expect from Cho. Axing players and changing the team is ok, but you have to treat young blokes differently to your senior or more experienced players.

Hunter had an outstanding pre-season and is working hard at improving his footy. It is up to the leaders at the club and especially the head coach to build belief and to have a plan based on developing confidence.

The coach has a responsibility to help build belief and confidence. The individual has a responsibility to put in the hard work on the track and in the gym. When both do their job properly we'll see consistency and good form.

It is wrong in my opinion to be expecting Hunter's KPI's to be the same as Jade Gresham or Dean Kent or Jack Newnes or Jack Sinclair. It is up to Cho to ensure Hunter knows where he stands with regard to how many games he plays in the seniors. And FFS, don't tell us in one sentence that he's going to be a ripper and then next minute use negative words like 'he's struggling' and 'he's in a slump'

Richo has been in a slump since mid 2017

twirlyhair
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 2:03pm If we are serious contenders in 2019 then fair enough, but with our injuries to key personnel, isn't it time the footy department reassess their goals for this year?

I believe young blokes need a plan. They need certainty and they need a disciplined coach who they can trust. Tell the kid at the start of the year that when he earns a call up to the seniors that you'll give him 4 games minimum no matter what.

Talking about a young bloke in his second year of AFL/VFL footy and using terms like "he's been struggling a bit" is the usual bs we've come to expect from Cho. Axing players and changing the team is ok, but you have to treat young blokes differently to your senior or more experienced players.

Hunter had an outstanding pre-season and is working hard at improving his footy. It is up to the leaders at the club and especially the head coach to build belief and to have a plan based on developing confidence.

The coach has a responsibility to help build belief and confidence. The individual has a responsibility to put in the hard work on the track and in the gym. When both do their job properly we'll see consistency and good form.

It is wrong in my opinion to be expecting Hunter's KPI's to be the same as Jade Gresham or Dean Kent or Jack Newnes or Jack Sinclair. It is up to Cho to ensure Hunter knows where he stands with regard to how many games he plays in the seniors. And FFS, don't tell us in one sentence that he's going to be a ripper and then next minute use negative words like 'he's struggling' and 'he's in a slump'

"They need certainty and they need a disciplined coach who they can trust".
You would need to ask the players this yeah? Guesswork as to whether the coach is disciplined or not?

King12
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 2:03pm If we are serious contenders in 2019 then fair enough, but with our injuries to key personnel, isn't it time the footy department reassess their goals for this year?

Hunter had an outstanding pre-season and is working hard at improving his footy. It is up to the leaders at the club and especially the head coach to build belief and to have a plan based on developing confidence in individuals which will provide dividends with consistency and good form.

That's your opinion, fair enough.

However a couple of questions/statements for you to ponder.

Do you really think the club doesn't have a plan for Hunter, our other young players and all of our playing list?

Before you answer, ponder the following, if the club had no plans in place,why are the all putting pen to paper?

Hunter would know exactly where he stands before the coach announces anything to the press.

You can't tell anyone their in for 4 games, what about the guys working their backside off @ Sandy trying to get back in?

'Oh, you killing it down there,but, sorry we have guaranteed Hunter and others that spot in the one's the next 4 weeks'.

It simply doesn't work like that, I understand your point, but it's not the simple.

He had a great preseason, yes, however preseason is just that, preseason, way different to what we are in at the moment.

Hunter's KPI's would be individually based like all players, so no comparison with more seasoned players, that's a fact at every club.

I see and understand what your are saying, however, it is way more complex than that.

Once again, I stress I'm not having a go at you and understand your points, however, my opinion (and it's only an opinion), is that I think your blatant dislike for Richo is compromising your judgement.

PS, the head coach is not always in charge of the player development solely, most of that work is actually done by development/line/assistant coaches, so in short, yes, Alan is in charge and accountable, however if players weren't happy, they wouldn't all be re-signing!

As I said, no offence to your post/opinion intended, it might just be easier for you to just not always point the finger at Alan.

Have a lovely day!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The same good ol’ Cho development plan we’ve seen work wonders over the last few years... :shock:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Richo wants to bring back his old favourite, Dunstan.

Not that I mind Dunstan, it's just a matter of how many inside mid types you need as opposed to quicker outside types.

takeaway
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 5:34pm The same good ol’ Cho development plan we’ve seen work wonders over the last few years... :shock:
Yes, coming to fruition nicely.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not sure Dunstan is a fav of richo anymore. He overused him initially but the last two seasons has been scapegoated a bit. I think since his offseason incident (or two) back a ways, Richo lost a bit of love. Dropped after a decent show against freo whilst a terrible Sinclair and Acres remained in. He should have been in against the stronger bodies of Adelaide. Hopefully he’ll get a chance this week. His grunt work is superior to all mids bar perhaps Steele.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Want to get games into Hunter, but also want him to learn the harsh realities of not performing at AFL level.

We need to rewards total performance. Dunstan might not be the best player, but he's pretty solid whenever called upon. I'd be happy to bring him back up.

This is a guy that picked up 30+ touches in the last two games of 2017 and the first game of 2018. He can get it done.

But he needs to have a Seb Ross-like revelation in his head about total commitment to footy. He needs to work out what he does well, and become the best in the league at it, rather than trying to patch up the parts of his game that aren't great.

Hell, Clinton Jones was a dreadful footballer, but he had an Olympian's lung capacity, and just worked opponents over until they tapped out...at which point, he started gathering his own footy - and finished with a very respectable 150-game career.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Kent has played a couple of shockers this year and stays in,Clarke needs a run at it & I get what people are saying regarding players playing well in the two”s and they should get a go,but I have to say as a long time supporter to have pick 7&8
from last year & pick 4 from this year all be it injured,running around in the 2”s is for some supporters quite disappointing,now the coach’s & selection committee might have plans regarding young blokes but to my mind at this stage our development isn’t working as well as it should,Battle & Paton excluded the rest are struggling,yes some through injury but some just seem lost!

PADDLEPOP1000
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The challenge is and always has been consistency... nothing wrong with a guy like Clarke getting a taste and going back to work on a few things.

Where it gets more contentious is you look at Long, DMac Acres, Kent, Sinclair, Gresh and Parker over a few weeks (who have played good games and bad ones with chances given to persevere with varying effects)...
And you look for consistency.

If you start noticing that some players are getting multiple chances after multiple poor performances and others are dumped right away... starts to get iffy.

I don’t necessarily disagree with Hunter being forced to earn his way back...
History also has made we weary of another Weller situation unfolding in front of us

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 7:39pm The challenge is and always has been consistency... nothing wrong with a guy like Clarke getting a taste and going back to work on a few things.

Where it gets more contentious is you look at Long, DMac Acres, Kent, Sinclair, Gresh and Parker over a few weeks (who have played good games and bad ones with chances given to persevere with varying effects)...

If you start noticing that some players are getting multiple chances after multiple poor performances and others are dumped right away... starts to get iffy.

History also has made we weary of another Weller situation unfolding in front of us
Oh here we go. Conspiracy theories Thursday.

<1 day ban for baiting>

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Second year blues.

Expectation vs reality.

Should go back to Sandringham and star. Then do it again and again.

And then be able to transition that form to the firsts.

He has time. I mean are we having a shot at the flag this year? Not really.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stkfc1
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 7:00pm Want to get games into Hunter, but also want him to learn the harsh realities of not performing at AFL level.

We need to rewards total performance. Dunstan might not be the best player, but he's pretty solid whenever called upon. I'd be happy to bring him back up.

This is a guy that picked up 30+ touches in the last two games of 2017 and the first game of 2018. He can get it done.

But he needs to have a Seb Ross-like revelation in his head about total commitment to footy. He needs to work out what he does well, and become the best in the league at it, rather than trying to patch up the parts of his game that aren't great.

Hell, Clinton Jones was a dreadful footballer, but he had an Olympian's lung capacity, and just worked opponents over until they tapped out...at which point, he started gathering his own footy - and finished with a very respectable 150-game career.
CJ and The Blake were two guys that were the epitome of hard work over skill. Both ended up as guns in their own right.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 7:56pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 7:39pm The challenge is and always has been consistency... nothing wrong with a guy like Clarke getting a taste and going back to work on a few things.

Oh here we go. Conspiracy theories Thursday.
You are seriously a stalker

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here are just incapable of objectively assessing what our club does well and comparing our coach to the rest of the competition. This is not about Dunstan or other players. This is about building confidence in a young player. Richo is going about it wrong in my opinion because you have to leave players in the AFL if they are going to get better in the AFL.

Have a look at the way the Bulldogs have played Aaron Naughton this year in each round no matter how badly he was going. There were calls from muppets in the media to drop him but Bevo stood firm to a disciplined plan. The player repaid the confidence of his caoch with an awesome display.

Naughton ripped it up in round 7 after having a run of bad form - check out his stats;
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg- ... n-naughton
Naughton's coach never once used negative words or never once chopped and changed.

Richo plays a bloke like Hunter for 2 games and then chops him. Then he brings him back in and straight away he wants to axe him and he also starts using negative words.Didn't Richo say that he wasn't going to chop and change this year and not be so reactive? Stick to a plan Richo no matter how much pressure you are feeling

Have a look at the way Freo have played their young blokes compared to us. Cerra has had 7 games straight this year. Have a look at the way Carlton play their young blokes compared to us. Paddy Dow has got 7 games straight this year.Based on their form and their output both would have been dropped if Richo was their coach

The problem with one-eyed sycophants and cheer squads is that they'll applaud and turn up no matter how badly we are going and how poorly our coach is going in terms of developing our top end talent. They will cheer the good stuff only and never analyse or criticise

Park aside the way the team has gone recently.
Park aside how other teams and clubs nurture their top end talent
Park aside the way our top end draft picks have gone recently (including the dreadful development of Billings in 2015/2016 and McCartin in 2017/2018).
Park aside the negative terms used about a young player who is learning the caper

If you park all those objective measure aside, Richo is doing really well

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Couldn’t agree more Scollop!👍

PADDLEPOP1000
older saint
SS Life Member

It is a little concerning, not so much for long term , but it can create an environment where some players are playing almost looking over their shoulders and 1 game in , don't smash it, and get dropped . Like at batsman in cricket if you walk out scared of failing you will fail.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Just like RIcho to think safety first and bring back Dunstan - who I actually rate.

It's just that Dunstan, Steele and Ross in the same team tends to make us a little stodgy.

Could have dropped Long and played Hunter in that role, but that would require too much lateral thinking

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

I don't seek any controversy or conflict related to the following:
Over the years of following the Saints (53 now) I have generally trusted and agreed with the selection process
and the integrity therein.
In this current era however I often scratch my head on Thursday evenings after the announcement of our team.
I am baffled about the haphazard nature of some team selections, eg related to Joyce, Clark, Brown etc.

I sometimes wonder if the players are confused and disheartened as well.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigcarl wrote: Thu 09 May 2019 10:32pm Just like RIcho to think safety first and bring back Dunstan - who I actually rate.

It's just that Dunstan, Steele and Ross in the same team tends to make us a little stodgy.

Could have dropped Long and played Hunter in that role, but that would require too much lateral thinking
They don't like more than 4 changes.
Hunter might need special attention in VFL, and they're hoping Long can step up

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Leo.J
SS Life Member

This more about Richo keeping his job, than Clarke’s future.

Disappointing really...Clarke has a future in the AFL, hopefully at the Saints.

I hope Richo doesn’t, I’ve had more than enough of him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think tough love is the order of the day - Clark has improved his fitness (so he is developing nicely in that sense) but he now needs to work on his consistency.

Saying he's in a "form slump" is like saying - " I know you have a lot of ability so we're expecting a lot more from you"
(it means I know and you know that you could do a lot better - and you need to start bringing it).

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Like most things its a set of trade offs. Possibility of Joyce getting another caning from a big forward (former Colman medal winner or close up?) in a premiership team vs giving the lad a fair crack. On balance scratch him from the WFA gig and train him for an upcoming welter event. Explain the thinking - horses for courses, Irish understand horse analogies. Clark not travelling so well, Dunstan killing it in the B's (a 50m goal, really!), Hunter back to VFL, try to get a lot of touches, you know we love you. Eagles have a tough set of mids, Luke is seasoned and in form. (Have to reward form, you know, with a few obvious exceptions). Phillips is one we really want for the future and has a lot to offer. J. Marsh was naturally highly emotional last week, the drought has broken so now you know you can make it and will consistently in due course, just go back to VFL take a breath, find that zen zone and we will see you in the firsts again soon enough. Long? Kent? nothing to see here, move along. 3 changes is more than enough for a side in the 8.