It all comes down to this Sunday.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It all comes down to this Sunday.

From the herald sun.

Which of Alan Richardson and Brendon Bolton will survive beyond 2019? David King says Sunday will shape their futures
David King, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

One of Alan Richardson and Brendan Bolton will be a senior coach in 2020.

Sunday’s losing coach will find it impossible to maintain an unwavering faith from his board in an end-of-season review — if it gets that far.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST

St Kilda started the season in fine fashion, winning four of its first five games, but despite some strong football since, has lost the past four.

As crazy as it sounds, Richardson is coaching well considering the injury list.

But when the wins are out-stacked by the losses, it’s only a matter of time.

A loss on Sunday to cellar-dwelling Carlton would immediately send the circling vultures from Royal Pde in Carlton to Linton St in Moorabbin.

Fox Footy’s Tom Morris has reported that Richardson has only one remaining performance-based trigger in his contract that would see him coach in 2020.

St Kilda must win a final.

If the Saints fail to defeat Carlton, they won’t be playing in September.

Richardson, who has missed finals in his past five years in charge, is a realist.

He understands coaching mortality after 30-plus years in the game.
St Kilda and Alan Richardson face a must-win game against struggling Carlton on Sunday. Picture: AAP Image/David Crosling.

But this Sunday afternoon will be the biggest two hours of his football journey.

Coach’s cannot survive in this cutthroat industry if they’re winning fewer games than every full moon sighting.

Over the past four years Carlton has done it far less — more like once in a Blue Moon.

Brendan Bolton’s coaching record in the past 40 games is dreadful, despite the continual talk of a rebuild that has apparently bottomed out.

It’s time for evidence.

Evidence from Brendan Bolton that he is the man.

Evidence that Carlton fans can come week-in, week-out with confidence the players will have a red hot go.

Evidence that Bolton will provide organisation and structure that allows the players to collectively do their best, regardless of the quality of opposition.

Carlton and St Kilda were considered a like-type at the start of the season.

We will find out where that lies at 5.30pm on Sunday.

I vividly recall Robert Walls challenging Mark Harvey when he was under pressure coaching Fremantle in 2008.

Will Walls be asking the same question of Bolton — in the same blunt and brutal manner?

“What does your club stand for?” I wonder what Bolton’s current answer would be.

Carlton’s balance sheet in the past three weeks is akin to Mark Neeld’s coaching era at Melbourne, which cost the Demons millions of dollars and five or six seasons wasted in the wilderness.

Carlton has averaged 24 fewer contested possessions than their opposition. That’s a smashing.

It’s an indictment that the Blues have placed their opposition under the least pressure of any team in the competition. Not just in the forward half — it’s a total team issue.
Brendon Bolton walks away from the Carlton huddle during the club’s heavy loss to GWS on Sunday. Picture: Phil Hillyard.

Carlton has scored a paltry 86 points from intercepts over the past three weeks, which is more than nine goals less than the AFL average in that time.

Put simply, Carlton has been too easy to play against.

Despite a terrific clearance scoreboard return against the Pies a fortnight ago, the current model is unsustainable.

The three-week balance sheet questions all, but at the end of the day the question needs to be answered: Is it a lack of effort or organisation?

These stats show the magnitude of a dysfunctional team and it’s the reason Carlton players have had an honest feedback session or “circled up”.

But what if the circle doesn’t work? Where to then?

How would Carlton maintain hope and hunger in the back half of the season?

Carlton is all-in on Sunday afternoon and it would be an amazing victory for the Blues if they could find a way.

Recruiting and list quality is always a constant discussion and knowing where the football club is at.

If an AFL coach were given the choice of the current lists at Carlton, St Kilda, North Melbourne and the Gold Coast Suns, which would be chosen?

I’d suggest Carlton would feature prominently, but it won’t affect the game on Sunday.

There’s nothing worse in football than hearing fans barrack for their teams to lose, hoping for change.

That’s a common occurrence right now for these two clubs.

Sadly, Sunday may just give both the winning and losing teams supporters what they desire?"

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: It all comes down to this Sunday.

I doubt Carlton hierarchy think St Kilda is so poor that a loss would be unforgiveable. Its the huge floggings Bolton has to stop. If we lose and its a high standard game then so be it. We have serious offensive problems and this forum has convinced me it is delivery that causes that. I guess out of ignorant impatience I would like to see different mid combinations. Savage as a defender is kicking goals! Half forward maybe. I appreciate it may be as misguided as election polls but I'd love to see Dmac given a chance as a ruck rover and Steele be given licence to go full on offence. But I know their magnets on the white board are particularly strong.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richo has a higher hurdle.

Obviously anything can happen but have to go with the Saints given 2019 form, effort and recent results against the Blues.

I've jinxed us now.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
HighettMan
Club Player

Bugger me dead this is not a word of a lie but before I even clicked on this thread the title already had me triggered and my immediate thought was, what is it with all these hysterical posters/supporters trying to win Rupert's Herarld Sun award for dickheadery and bugger me dead...Rupert had his finger prints all over it..

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If they've got any self-respect, they'll come out breathing fire. We have to give it back and stop Cripps. We stop Cripps we should win decisively. If Cripps has a day out, they can compete with anyone, as they did against Collingwood just 2 weeks ago.

We've lost 4 in a row, I'll be happy to take the 4 points.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Based on how last season finished, I’d be disappointed in the club if they sacked Richo following a loss to Carlton on Saturday even noting that I certainly don’t believe he’s the man for the job.

Off-season 2018 they either had to sack him or back him in.

They backed him in. I didn’t agree with it then but regardless, his job now is to prove beyond a doubt by season’s end that we’re almost ready for an assault on the finals in 2020.

Some say he’s been told he needs to win a final in 2019... personally I think that’s not a reasonable ask considering where we finished in 2018. As long as there is a MARKED improvement, not a minor one... I think that’s good enough.

Sacking him post a loss on Saturday would suggest to me that our decision making is wishy washy and that we’re not very composed.

Special
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 11:23pm Based on how last season finished, I’d be disappointed in the club if they sacked Richo following a loss to Carlton on Saturday even noting that I certainly don’t believe he’s the man for the job.

Off-season 2018 they either had to sack him or back him in.

They backed him in. I didn’t agree with it then but regardless, his job now is to prove beyond a doubt by season’s end that we’re almost ready for an assault on the finals in 2020.

Some say he’s been told he needs to win a final in 2019... personally I think that’s not a reasonable ask considering where we finished in 2018. As long as there is a MARKED improvement, not a minor one... I think that’s good enough.

Sacking him post a loss on Saturday would suggest to me that our decision making is wishy washy and that we’re not very composed.
Win or lose we are unlikely to play finals either way.
I doubt Richo will be cut off mid season regardless of results.

This is conservative St Kilda

King12
Club Player

David King wrote the article, so, I take with a grain of salt, no relevance what so ever. He was probably pissed and driving when he wrote it! 😂

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why doesn't DK pick on the coach of his old team?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

There’s a few guys who need to lift, but I’ll start with just one.

Players such as Acres have played enough senior football to be producing on a regular basis.

I think he is being played out of position in second ruck, but nevertheless it puts him where the ball is and he should be showing more than he is to live up to his potential.

Unless, of course - as I’ve read on here more than once - he’s not that good.

The club has invested five years in him and he needs to step up. This week would be a good time to start.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think we should be looking at this game very positively, after all it’s really a win-win for us! We either beat Carlton, or we lose and then... :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 2:09pm I think we should be looking at this game very positively, after all it’s really a win-win for us! We either beat Carlton, or we lose and then... :)
As Kingy stated."There’s nothing worse in football than hearing fans barrack for their teams to lose, hoping for change.

Sadly, Sunday may just give both the winning and losing teams supporters what they desire?"

King says sad, I say pathetic.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 2:09pm I think we should be looking at this game very positively, after all it’s really a win-win for us! We either beat Carlton, or we lose and then... :)
How will you survive the 2020 season if Alan is still coach?
Seriously.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
King12
Club Player

Don't feed the Monkeys!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 2:55pm
As Kingy stated."There’s nothing worse in football than hearing fans barrack for their teams to lose, hoping for change.

There’s bigger issues for the club than winning a handful of games this season.

I barrack for us to be successful long term and win premierships. Whatever needs to happen short term to get us on the road to that is what I want to happen.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
portosaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 1:53pm There’s a few guys who need to lift, but I’ll start with just one.

Players such as Acres have played enough senior football to be producing on a regular basis.

I think he is being played out of position in second ruck, but nevertheless it puts him where the ball is and he should be showing more than he is to live up to his potential.

Unless, of course - as I’ve read on here more than once - he’s not that good.

The club has invested five years in him and he needs to step up. This week would be a good time to start.
Touche'!

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I personally think Blake could be anything. I also think he's a pure bull midfielder. Regardless, he needs to start finding a way to impact the game wherever he is asked to play.

He is getting opportunities.... It's up to him

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda by 49 points. Members - 6 goals.

By the way, I think Richo was great on AFL360 on Monday night. It would have to be a complete and utter train wreck for the rest of the year for him to get the axe.
Personally, I think we’ll get stronger and stronger in the back half of 2019 and not look back from there really.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:27am David King wrote the article, so, I take with a grain of salt, no relevance what so ever. He was probably pissed and driving when he wrote it! 😂
And looking for a Hot Dog van, to trash.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

no it doesn't..that moment has come and gone. If we are to beat this rabble it means SFA. Maybe bottom 4 positioning but thats it.

Harves Man
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:30pm no it doesn't..that moment has come and gone. If we are to beat this rabble it means SFA. Maybe bottom 4 positioning but thats it.
Sorry Firey, not sure what you mean by that moment has come and gone? Do you feel that another marker point (earlier in the season) has sealed an aspect of our planning? Ta.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:41pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:30pm no it doesn't..that moment has come and gone. If we are to beat this rabble it means SFA. Maybe bottom 4 positioning but thats it.
Sorry Firey, not sure what you mean by that moment has come and gone? Do you feel that another marker point (earlier in the season) has sealed an aspect of our planning? Ta.
yeah, I just thought our last 4 losses indicated a lack of creative coaching and adapting to opposition coaching changes in general, using the last 4 as a marker point. nothing comes down to this Sunday when you consider the opposition.
The Match against the Giants was a fair indication where we are at in the scheme of things(watched a couple of times). I really think we need a coach change.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bassoon wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 11:06pm If Richo was Coach, I'd be happy if we won 8 or 9 games this Season, and same time next year, 6 or 7. Take it on board Ted, next year - 2020 - we were promised a Premiership - if we turn Round 11 with even four or five wins, instead of six or seven you're defending the indefensible. We can't make the 8 next year - we'll getting to the grim dark days of 1940 to 1960, and 1974 to 1990. Yeah I know we're talking about only nine years this time around, but another rebuild - we're starting to get to our historical lows. As A Saints supporter from 1969 (7 years old), and seeing close to the bottom of the Ladder every year between 1977, and 1990, yes, I'm despondent, and pessimistic, and want to change things so this s*** don't happen again. We started a rebuild in 2014 - we improved to 2017 - 2018 a bad year - but as a Team (not individual) we need to improve greatly. Yes, Steven, Carlisle, Hanneberry, Geary, and Lonie are out (not to mention possible retirees like McCartin, and Roberton). Yes, we have a Max King who after the next half a dozen rounds might be a great contributor next year. Yes, Collingwood was a very poor disposal team two years ago. But we need to show something - we generally have the Spirit, but if we can't show accuracy of disposal, and accuracy of Goalkincking agents Carlton, Richo's no longer the man for the job (and maybe the majority of our players are not either). Let's be realistic - a rebuild that hasn't worked after five years, needs another rebuild.
yep

Harves Man
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:56pm
Harves Man wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 10:41pm
yeah, I just thought our last 4 losses indicated a lack of creative coaching and adapting to opposition coaching changes in general, using the last 4 as a marker point. nothing comes down to this Sunday when you consider the opposition.
The Match against the Giants was a fair indication where we are at in the scheme of things(watched a couple of times). I really think we need a coach change.
Yes, agree.

HighettMan
Club Player

I've heard Brad Scott is going to the game tomorrow.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
twirlyhair
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 23 May 2019 2:55pm

Yep, well said. Just can't believe that any true supporter would be hoping we lose. Sad indeed.