Let's talk Finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HighettMan
Club Player

Let's talk Finals

Some will hate it but the fact of the matter is we are in the discussion.

Win next week and the media will jump on the bandwagon.

We are going to get some geniune A graders into the side shortly and also some other very handy players.

Alan is probably coaching better than he ever has.

Lots to like about this club at the moment.

Discuss.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Let's talk Finals

Haha !!

Hahahaha!!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:05am Haha !!

Hahahaha!!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!
Lol

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Will they let us play Carlton and GC again in the finals?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Let’s talk trolling

The_Merchant
Club Player

With our draw, we are legitimately a chance to make it. Could end up on 13 wins just by beating sides that are below or near us on the ladder.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You can talk about finals just the same as Finnis and co have been talking about bagging a big fish the last 4 years running

Yes...anything's possible even if it is highly improbable but we are not playing finals this year.

Even Saint supporters have a hard time enjoying the style of footy we have been playing since June/July 2017.

Let's talk about our football brand. Why would any neutral supporter want to watch the Saints?

Kudos to you HM for daring to dream. Very courageous of anyone to step up and start a thread that could seriously bite you on the backside

If we somehow do a Bradbury and stumble over the line against bottom 8 teams it will all come crashing back down to earth when we play the top 8. Can't wait for one of kosi's ladder predicter threads in round 18 telling us we are a mathematical chance!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:47am Some will hate it but the fact of the matter is we are in the discussion.

We are going to get some geniune A graders into the side shortly and also some other very handy players.

Discuss.
If we make the finals, most likely it’s 7th or 8th and a trip to Perth, Adelaide or Sydney. Pbly as far as we go but I good effort,

I want to ask you a legitimate question... your obviously having a bit of fun winding up the board. Believe this is the third win for the true believers thread for the season and then this thread. It was disappointing that ppl attacked you during the match thread... agree or disagree that type of personal/targeted stuff really isn’t on.

Do you genuinely believe Richo should stay on as coach?
The considerations for this question are is he doing a good job, is the list developing well, does he have the ability to elevate this list/club to the next level and make us a a viable contender, are you happy with the football we’re playing.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:06pm Can't wait for one of kosi's ladder predicter threads in round 18 telling us we are a mathematical chance!
We're still looking good to finish on top.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:23pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:47am Some will hate it but the fact of the matter is we are in the discussion.

Discuss.
If we make the finals, most likely it’s 7th or 8th and a trip to Perth, Adelaide or Sydney. Pbly as far as we go but I good effort,

I want to ask you a legitimate question... your obviously having a bit of fun winding up the board. Believe this is the third win for the true believers thread for the season and then this thread. It was disappointing that ppl attacked you during the match thread... agree or disagree that type of personal/targeted stuff really isn’t on.

Do you genuinely believe Richo should stay on as coach?
The considerations for this question are is he doing a good job, is the list developing well, does he have the ability to elevate this list/club to the next level and make us a a viable contender, are you happy with the football we’re playing.
I actually don't overly care who the head coach is because as you know I am a very strong believer in the sum of all parts theory. And the theory being it's about all of those parts coming together at the right time. And for that to happen you need a bit of luck.

Something we haven't had for 18 months now with reference to injuries.

If I was a bettting man I'd say we will have a new coach in 2020 and if he has a healthy list then he will have an amazing opportunity to take over a list that is finals capable. If Alan stays on then I think he will also have the same opportunity and do it well. Can't think of someone that can come in and solve all of the problems you bang on about. Who's your pick for a coach.

I think posters mistake my defence of false claims and relentless attacks and criticism as blind faith. Couldn't be further from truth, I give constructive feedback of Alan, I just don't regurgitate in every post so it gets lost in the eco chamber.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Discuss.
Reality is we have little chance due to our very poor percentage.
We are effectively 2 games out not 1 and regardless of the very favorable draw for the rest of the season I cant see us going past Freo, Brisbane, Richmond or Port on the ladder.

We are two wins off where I predicted we'd finish so its probably a pass mark for the club this season on where I thought we'd be.

The question around the coach will be whether the club is accepting of bottom 8 and mediocrity or do they wish to become a force.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:50pm The question around the coach will be whether the club is accepting of bottom 8 and mediocrity or do they wish to become a force.
I agree with this. I'm not a Richo hater but he's had six seasons. Three bad and three middling ones. If 2016, 2017 & 2019 are the best he can get out of this group the club need to get someone who can take us further. No idea who that is though.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Crossy66
Club Player

If three things change, we can play finals.
1. Get back a few of our key players i.e. Hannas, Carlisle, Steven, Lonie etc
2. i50 entries - low the eyes, stop bombing long
3. Kick straight for goal

point 1 is happening so tick.
Point 2. If the coaches cant stop them doing it, drop the player or drop the coach - but stop accepting it.
point 3 We have tolerated poor goal kicking for 2 years. Make a statement - sack Dixon, start dropping players who cant kick, make them train an extra day focussing on just goal kicking - DO SOMETHING, make people accountable. If the coaches cant get them to kick set shots straight - get rid of the coaches. - But dont simply accept this any longer.

I actually think we have a list that is far better than many think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Let's not.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:

Discuss.
We are effectively 2 games out not 1 and regardless of the very favorable draw for the rest of the season I cant see us going past Freo, Brisbane, Richmond or Port on the ladder.

We are two wins off where I predicted we'd finish so its probably a pass mark for the club this season on where I thought we'd be.

The question around the coach will be whether the club is accepting of bottom 8 and mediocrity or do they wish to become a force.
Our percentage is low but not much worse than Richmond and we have a game in hand. I can’t see how that equates to two games out.

I’m not predicting anything. I’m just taking it one game at a time.

To the top
SS Life Member

We have a side structured on Draft Picks since and including the Draft that gave us Billings, Dunstan and Acres all in the top 20 of that year

Quite frankly the win v Richmond was the last hurrah for Riewoldt and Montagna (and Fisher and Dempster were already gone) hence the decline in performance past that particular game

We have added Carlisle and Hannebery, both yet to play a game this season

Plus we have offered a home to the likes of Roberton, Steele and Membrey who have all contributed

We have addressed short falls with the likes of Brown, offering him a home

We have been unlucky with Mc Cartin - and hopefully with time and medical supervision he returns

Then we have King

Plus these we have Drafted in the top 20 since the Billings Draft - Clark, Coffield etc

We seek to present this potential to attract name players under Free Agency

So we are a work in progress - with potential to develop into a very competitive side

The Coach

I don’t like his focus on Geary - an honest performer lacking required skills with the ball - skills not negotiable in the footy of today

And that he appears to have favourites - but probably because of the age demographic of the side when it comes to Newnes and others

So we wait, we look and we see

And we are winning the games we are expected to win - against Hawthorn and Essendon and others

Some of the comment on here staggers me

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:48pm I just don't regurgitate in every post so it gets lost in the eco chamber.
In fairness, I think you kind of do... just from the other end. Equally your message in misconstrued and lost.

HighettMan
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:40pm We have a side structured on Draft Picks since and including the Draft that gave us Billings, Dunstan and Acres all in the top 20 of that year

Quite frankly the win v Richmond was the last hurrah for Riewoldt and Montagna (and Fisher and Dempster were already gone) hence the decline in performance past that particular game

We have added Carlisle and Hannebery, both yet to play a game this season

Plus we have offered a home to the likes of Roberton, Steele and Membrey who have all contributed

We have addressed short falls with the likes of Brown, offering him a home

We have been unlucky with Mc Cartin - and hopefully with time and medical supervision he returns

Then we have King

Plus these we have Drafted in the top 20 since the Billings Draft - Clark, Coffield etc

We seek to present this potential to attract name players under Free Agency

So we are a work in progress - with potential to develop into a very competitive side

The Coach

I don’t like his focus on Geary - an honest performer lacking required skills with the ball - skills not negotiable in the footy of today

And that he appears to have favourites - but probably because of the age demographic of the side when it comes to Newnes and others

So we wait, we look and we see

And we are winning the games we are expected to win - against Hawthorn and Essendon and others

Some of the comment on here staggers me
The comment that has been made regularly since yesterday's game is the one that staggers me and it is this one: "I'm happy with the win but I'm not happy how we played".

Made without much footy knowledge is the only thing that explains it.

I mean absolutely it was a game to forget but what where the pelicans expecting, it was already a team decimated by injury and then was further challenged by 7 changes.

For 18 months now it's been impossible to settle a side to play together consistently and develop some understanding and cohesion. It's easier to execute a game plan when you have players who can form the required structures and can then execute it.

The way we played was symptomatic of a very inexperienced team that hadn't played much footy together long enough to get the system going.

But clearly after half time they got it going and that is what makes me think the coaches and playere are still committed to the cause and each other. Who cares how the hell they played.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:17pm
Joffa Burns wrote:

Discuss.

Our percentage is low but not much worse than Richmond and we have a game in hand. I can’t see how that equates to two games out.

We have played the same amount of games as Port, Freo, Ess, Bisbane and each have one more win at this stage.

Brisbane have the lowest percentage of above at 103.1% while we sit at 87%.
I believe this differential equates to two matches difference for us to leapfrog these teams into a finals birth.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 3:33pm
Joffa Burns wrote:

Discuss.

We have played the same amount of games as Port, Freo, Ess, Bisbane and each have one more win at this stage.

I believe this differential equates to two matches difference for us to leapfrog these teams into a finals birth.
Maybe I should use a more reliable site, but the one at afl.com.au has us on the same number of wins as Port and Essendon. The eighth team is Richmond and they are one game and five percent ahead of us and we have a game in hand.

Am I missing something?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 4:19pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 3:33pm
Joffa Burns wrote:

Discuss.

Maybe I should use a more reliable site, but the one at afl.com.au has us on the same number of wins as Port and Essendon. The eighth team is Richmond and they are one game and five percent ahead of us and we have a game in hand.

Am I missing something?
no you are correct, it is me that was missing something :lol:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bigred
Saintsational Legend

What's a final?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigred wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 6:42pmWhat's a final?
I believe " a final"
might in fact refer to Rd 23, which will be "the final" game of Mr Positive/Pleasing.

Lethlean will be sitting in the coaches box behind him during the game,
5 minutes before the end of the game, Lethers will say
"Alan, you can leave all your notes and laptop there buddy"
I don't know if Lethers will offer to shake his hand either.

And not before time, I must say

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:44am Let’s talk trolling
Gold

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.