White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

White

Did he spend the entire game up forward? I didn’t see the whole match but when I did he was played up forward which seems odd given his form down back in VFL
Anyways I dare say he gets dropped as Cho can’t forgive a young player out of position not starring in their first game back

#1 Ryder fan
shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: White

He hurt his leg relatively early and spent 10-15 mins doing runthroughs on the bench. When he finally came back on I think they swung him forward given the injury.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting. He appeared to be injured, but rather than leave him on the bench he was propped up against the goal post.

As a consequence, we had a forward target!

Perhaps there's a lesson here.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Yes he had a presence there. Shame he couldn’t slot those sitters

Thanks for the info guys

#1 Ryder fan
realdeal
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:06am Interesting. He appeared to be injured, but rather than leave him on the bench he was propped up against the goal post.

Is it obvious enough though...

SuperDuper
Club Player

Selected at HBF but of course, once Richo was in charge, rather than the selection panel, he started on the bench and Newnes started on the ground instead.

His kicking was good in the first half, taking several kick ins and was solid down back without being spectacular on limited game time in the first half

Seemed to get a corky near end of the half.

Really showed something at full forward in the last quarter after finally coming back on. Should have had 3 for the quarter. Missed two sitters, and then got a free kick straight in front but advantage was paid to allow Billings to goal. If he kicked 3 for the quarter this would be a very different thread,

Is one of the best kicks in the team but clearly was nervous for the two shots. Not used to playing forward and not used to the big stage.

Showed enough to persist with though, IMO.
Give him a couple more weeks at least to see how he goes.

Personally I am bullish on him, I recon he will play very good AFL footy over the next 7-8 years. Has all the traits. I just hope it is at the saints.

Crossy66
Club Player

A nothing game for whitey. Not bad not good, but should be commended for showing some ticker and playing through injury for the team. The injury to his thigh robbed him of the chance to stake a claim. I suspect the thigh injury didnt help his goal kicking, particularly as he is known to be a good kick.
I think he will miss through Injury this week and should be given another opportunity as soon as he is ready.
Timing is everything though. We will be getting a few defenders back in coming weeks, making competition for spots interesting

spert
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 10:40am A nothing game for whitey. Not bad not good, but should be commended for showing some ticker and playing through injury for the team. The injury to his thigh robbed him of the chance to stake a claim. I suspect the thigh injury didnt help his goal kicking, particularly as he is known to be a good kick.
I think he will miss through Injury this week and should be given another opportunity as soon as he is ready.
Timing is everything though. We will be getting a few defenders back in coming weeks, making competition for spots interesting
Yeah, no doubt his injury had an effect on kicking, but he's a tough nut and a good mark for his size.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 10:43am
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 10:40am A nothing game for whitey. Not bad not good, but should be commended for showing some ticker and playing through injury for the team. The injury to his thigh robbed him of the chance to stake a claim. I suspect the thigh injury didnt help his goal kicking, particularly as he is known to be a good kick.
Yeah, no doubt his injury had an effect on kicking, but he's a tough nut and a good mark for his size.
He is actually deceptively tall, he is 189cm (6ft 2) and he has a great vertical leap. I actually think the move forward could be an accidental stroke of genius, White has great speed, good hands and, if they can straighten up the shots at goal, he could be that medium sized forward that we are looking for

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:36am

Really showed something at full forward in the last quarter after finally coming back on. Should have had 3 for the quarter. Missed two sitters, and then got a free kick straight in front but advantage was paid to allow Billings to goal. If he kicked 3 for the quarter this would be a very different thread,

Is one of the best kicks in the team but clearly was nervous for the two shots. Not used to playing forward and not used to the big stage.

The cork was in his right leg though wasn't it?

Makes it very difficult to kick when your support leg is dead.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:36am Selected at HBF but of course, once Richo was in charge, rather than the selection panel, he started on the bench and Newnes started on the ground instead.

His kicking was good in the first half, taking several kick ins and was solid down back without being spectacular on limited game time in the first half

Personally I am bullish on him, I recon he will play very good AFL footy over the next 7-8 years. Has all the traits. I just hope it is at the saints.
Yes, I thought he showed a bit, kicking for goal aside. Persist

asiu
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:26am
Toy Saint wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:06am Interesting. He appeared to be injured, but rather than leave him on the bench he was propped up against the goal post.

Is it obvious enough though...

:P

classic

ta.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He started well and it was a nightmare to see him limping along the boundary line in the second quarter, given how long it had taken him to break back into the team. He's a beautiful field kick (and I don't take anything from those shanks at goal, given he was probably lucky to be standing upright!)

That tackle he laid on Lukosius in the last quarter was an absolute ripper and helped us win the game.

Really hoping he pulls up ok and that he can string a few games together.

Always loyal
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep; From saints.com

" A match-winning tackle

After injuring his thigh in the first half, Brandon White was limited to playing as one of the Saints’ deepest forwards as the match wore on.

It was far from his regular home at half-back, but White was nonetheless able to exert his influence in what was arguably a moment which gave the Saints the four points.

With seven minutes left on the clock, Josh Bruce tumbled the ball inside 50, with Gold Coast’s Jack Lukosius scooping up the bouncing ball after it bypassed Tim Membrey.

Despite being far from full mobility, White dug deep, gathered his momentum and lunged forward in desperation, bringing Lukosius down with him as the umpire called holding the ball.

Jack Billings was ultimately the final benefactor, putting through his second to extend St Kilda’s lead to eight points.

It ended up being the final goal for the Saints, before they managed to ward off a late surge from the Suns to hold onto victory.

White has often been likened as a “product of hard work”, especially during his time for Sandringham.

That clutch tackle proves why."

ace
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:19am Yes he had a presence there. Shame he couldn’t slot those sitters

Thanks for the info guys
He sliced the two kicks atrociously.
He wants to be a professional footballer and does that when the game is on the line.
I fear those two kicks could terminate his football career.

I hope he gets another chance but with injured players coming back into the team he could be terminal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:36am Selected at HBF but of course, once Richo was in charge, rather than the selection panel, he started on the bench and Newnes started on the ground instead.

His kicking is disgraceful most of the time, missing two basic set shots like that is inexcusable. If he’s one of the best kicks on our team that says a lot.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:30pm

His kicking is disgraceful most of the time, missing two basic set shots like that is inexcusable. If he’s one of the best kicks on our team that says a lot.
Are you a St Kilda supporter?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:18pm

Yeah... Which is why im sick and tired of seeing deplorable set shock goal kicking week in week out. We have too many players on our list that cant execute basic opportunities that an ordinary person off the street would convert. In my opinion, poor skills is our primary weakness at present, something needs to be done about it. Players like White and Lonie are part of the problem.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:14pm

Yeah... Which is why im sick and tired of seeing deplorable set shock goal kicking week in week out. We have too many players on our list that cant execute basic opportunities that an ordinary person off the street would convert. In my opinion, poor skills is our primary weakness at present, something needs to be done about it. Players like White and Lonie are part of the problem.
Crap, White had a very badly injured thigh. Normally he is a decent kick.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:21pm

Crap, White had a very badly injured thigh. Normally he is a decent kick.
Shouldn't of been on the ground if he had an injury so debilitating that it caused him to miss successive 15 metre set shots on a minimal angles.

Crossy66
Club Player

So, prior to saturday, what was whites goal kicking %?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not the sharpest tool in the shed!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 8:28pm Not the sharpest tool in the shed!
Who, are you talking about White ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
lewdogs
Club Player

He was pretty huge. Back on after a corkie and had a big influence. Looks much more of a forward prospect than a few others we've tried there.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

ace wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:53pm
MC Gusto wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:19am Yes he had a presence there. Shame he couldn’t slot those sitters

Thanks for the info guys
He sliced the two kicks atrociously.
He wants to be a professional footballer and does that when the game is on the line.
I fear those two kicks could terminate his football career.

I hope he gets another chance but with injured players coming back into the team he could be terminal.
I have read some s*** on this site but this just takes the cake!!!!! He is a 22 yo with 11 games to his name and on obviously clearly hampered by a leg injury and you think missing two set shots will get him delisted!!! I guarantee you, the way he played when moved forward will have won him a whole new level of respect and admiration at the club and he will not be going anywhere soon