If we change coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

If we change coach

With the success thus far of Shaw and Teague it should help push the case for a replacement being a person who is an experienced assistant or someone who has may have been a coach and then has gone back and improved.

I personally don't see what the appeal of Scott is- North supporters always complained no plan B, he got 2 average lists to prelims ( got smashed twice) but really to me not the answer and how North are going since he left seems to support this.

Short list I would like to see considered:

- Ratten
- Voss
- Caracella
- Harvey

Long shot
-Longmire ( no pun intended)
- Beveridge

If they did go the rookie option love to see Roos approached to be a coaching director type role. Play the role in the background a Balme at Collingwood and then Richmond has. Surely more useful n the box on match day than Lethlean

The_President
Club Player

Re: If we change coach

There won't be a change until there is ABSOLUTELY no chance we can make finals.

If we act before that, Richo will have a case for a payout because we prevented him from potentially reaching his trigger.

suss
Club Player

The_President wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 8:08pm There won't be a change until there is ABSOLUTELY no chance we can make finals.

If we act before that, Richo will have a case for a payout because we prevented him from potentially reaching his trigger.
It would depend on the precise words of the contract of course, but I'm not sure that's 100% accurate.

P66 has been suggested as much on BF and I'm sceptical of his understanding of contract law - although he does pretend to know everything.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we will start winning

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Beware the mid season honeymoon after a coach is sacked. Stats and history show that they never last.

Different sport, but Man Utd last season in the EPL is a classic example of this.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There is no if. And wouldn't a honeymoon be sweet relief from the last 6 years. A couple of games of absolute passion compare to 6 years of absolute anti football tedium. There is zero or less chance of the finals. Club make the announcement.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind your short list Older Saint and realistically I think that's where our new coach will come from. I cannot see Longmire or Clarkson and to be honest I'm unsure about Beveridge. 2016 was a year that every single planet in the universe lined up perfectly for the doggies. The ensuing 3 years have been more telling.

I would not like to see Scott, whilst I'm sure he has the back of his players, I really worry when a coach looks like the head of the cheer squad when a decision goes against his side. A small thing but still an insight into the man.

Now we get to the argument / decision between a coach with senior experience or best available assistant. We have to go back to 2010 to find a coach who had senior coaching experience winning a flag, thanks to a bounce & no extra time. The other flags since were all one by coaches who had been assistants.

I do not have the answer, nor do I know anyone with a crystal ball. I do know that person will need to understand our list, where it can improve, how it can improve and what's required to make it improve. They need to understand expectations as well as understand what the differences are between a battling club and a successful club. If they cannot address that gulf they will be consumed by it.

I want them involved with recruiting, they need to be or certainly be very clear in the players they want.

Hawthorn were a basket case when Clarkson took over, 2008 surprised everyone but he had a plan and a vision with what he wanted in terms of players and from the club.

I believe we've a great opportunity, my fingers are crossed for the right person with the right understanding and vision. Hoping they have the right development and recruiting staff or hoping those areas share that vision.

darylcowie
Club Player

Once we lose to North and Geelong we will be 6 - 10 with a percentage below 80, regardless of how competitive we are (unlikely) in those two games and therefore even 6 wins in the last 6 weeks won't raise our percentage above 100 and get us into the finals.

So change is inevitable after the Geelong game and my preferred coaching options in order are: Beveridge, Clarkson, Longmire, Hinkley, Scott and Ratten.

I prefer Beveridge because he is the most recent premiership coach, bleeds for his players and has a soft spot for the Saints.

Clarkson is the next most-recent premiership coach on this list and he is a shrewd operator who is getting stale at Hawthorn, but what incentive could get him to the Saints?

Longmire interviewed for our job post-Thomas and was supposed to be down to the final 2 until Lyon came from the clouds with Walls' backing, but I can't see him leaving the Swans to coach North, let alone us and he is just starting to turn the Swans season and list around.

I rue the day that we chose Watters over Hinkley, with Richo a distant third in that coaching race in 2011, because Hinkley would at least have given our list the licence to run and gun, play some exciting footy and give the finals a shake!

Scott has the ability to get a side singing from the same hymn sheet, albeit a pretty dour one and just like Lyon, he can get also get a side deep into finals, even though both are unpopular figures with fans for obvious reasons.

Ratten has been out of the senior coaching role for some time, but he has kept his hand in as an assistant with Clarkson he has been able to familiarise himself with our list's strengths and weaknesses and he can obviously coach, given his finals entries at Carlton.

I think we will end up with Ratten if he wants the job, otherwise it will go to Scott, with Hinkley only a chance if he misses finals with Port and gets the ass from them.

Thoughts?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

For me the search is on already. Richo is getting as much pay as he can before shown the door and I don't blame him. His salary will be much lower at his next gig.
8 games left so that is 32 points and we are two wins outside the 8. Lose 3 of the next five and he is gine

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's when.

Has Richo resigned yet?

I really need to sleep this one off. Worse than a hangover. Someone wake me when he's gone please!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 7:53pm

- Ratten
- Voss
- Caracella
- Harvey
My mail is that we are chasing very hard for one of those above (he has loose ties to St Kilda) but nothing will be announced until their role with their current team is over. FWIW

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: "If we change coach"....... I will back WHOEVER gets the gig. Even if it turns out to be B. Scott. If the club appoint Scott, then I for one will give him a fair go at doing the job. Simple as that!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 10:27am
older saint wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 7:53pm

- Ratten
- Voss
- Caracella
- Harvey
My mail is that we are chasing very hard for one of those above (he has loose ties to St Kilda) but nothing will be announced until their role with their current team is over. FWIW
Voss?

saint4life
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 1:29pm Voss?
Touches Nose
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Wed 03 Jul 2019 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Tell him if he can bring Rozee and Duursma across with him we'll double his first year salary :)

Actually stuff it, we'll double his salary for the first year if he gets one of them and we'll double his salary for each year of his contract if he can convince both of them :wink:

I still prefer Brett....

Ratten

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

IF we are to get a new Coach, then my choice would be B Ratten.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

When is it going to happen? Im just patiently waiting.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saint wagga
Club Player

We need a proven winner who has win and all costs in his DNA. Someone who will drag the whole club on his Samsonian shoulders to the promised land, an old fashioned "Super Coach" ...that man is

LEIGH MATTHEWS.

I'll be underwhelmed with anyone else...bar Alistair Clarkson...or maybe at a pinch Kevin Sheedy

Special
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 4:35pm We need a proven winner who has win and all costs in his DNA. Someone who will drag the whole club on his Samsonian shoulders to the promised land, an old fashioned "Super Coach" ...that man is

LEIGH MATTHEWS.

I'll be underwhelmed with anyone else...bar Alistair Clarkson...or maybe at a pinch Kevin Sheedy
Funny one!

So you want a 67 year old who hasn’t coached at AFL level for 11 years?

Makes sense.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 4:35pm We need a proven winner who has win and all costs in his DNA. Someone who will drag the whole club on his Samsonian shoulders to the promised land, an old fashioned "Super Coach" ...that man is

LEIGH MATTHEWS.

Matthews, Sheedy? Why not hire Blight again then?

That era of coaches are all past it well and truly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HighettMan
Club Player

I'm confused, are we voting in Womans Day for the Logies or are we thinking about who we think will be able to improve on the incumbant and why and how. Outside of proven performers being available as a guess we really know SFA. It's not a popularity contest.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Of course you're confused. One moment you believe game plans to be over rated, then you believe them to be important. You believe in rote learning and that Alan has only been able to rote learn one game plan on the list in six years. A plan involving two key forwards, one he successfully implemented using McCartin and Battle last year in one game. So Alan has not been able to adjust I guess. Alan has forgotten Battle is still in the team and Josh Bruce is back. I guess Alan forgot his one and only game plan, especially when Richmond only had one tall forward to be manned up, allowing Battle to move forward.

I would hope whoever replaces Alan moves away from this rote learnt game plan, allowing his players some freedom to move the ball into a forward line whether it has none, one, two, three or six talls.

Whatever qualities the next coach has surely have to be better than the current one trick pony you described. That's not taking into account the fact the incumbent only offers opportunity and inspires development once injuries force his hand.

I will guess I've misconstrued you, know nothing about what really goes on at the club and have not nominated a new coach or what qualities he has that will make a difference to St Kilda. So I will defer to you HM.

Why should we keep Alan & what are his qualities that we won't find in another coach that are needed at St Kilda?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

LEIGH MATTHEWS.

Closest UNTRIED version of Leigh Matthews is, Michael Voss.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think putting Scott in there would alienate a lot of people after he was seen as not the right man at North. It would have to be Ratten, or Lade if he is interested maybe.

HighettMan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 6:50pm Of course you're confused. One moment you believe game plans to be over rated, then you believe them to be important. You believe in rote learning and that Alan has only been able to rote learn one game plan on the list in six years. A plan involving two key forwards, one he successfully implemented using McCartin and Battle last year in one game. So Alan has not been able to adjust I guess. Alan has forgotten Battle is still in the team and Josh Bruce is back. I guess Alan forgot his one and only game plan, especially when Richmond only had one tall forward to be manned up, allowing Battle to move forward.

I would hope whoever replaces Alan moves away from this rote learnt game plan, allowing his players some freedom to move the ball into a forward line whether it has none, one, two, three or six talls.

Whatever qualities the next coach has surely have to be better than the current one trick pony you described. That's not taking into account the fact the incumbent only offers opportunity and inspires development once injuries force his hand.

I will guess I've misconstrued you, know nothing about what really goes on at the club and have not nominated a new coach or what qualities he has that will make a difference to St Kilda. So I will defer to you HM.

Why should we keep Alan & what are his qualities that we won't find in another coach that are needed at St Kilda?
Pffft!

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism