Who's Good At Maths?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HighettMan
Club Player

Who's Good At Maths?

Does this result now make it the "mathematical" impossibility?

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
ss1986
Club Player

Re: Who's Good At Maths?

HighettMan wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 6:55pm Does this result now make it the "mathematical" impossibility?
Please don’t even pretend you are now calling for his head.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it's now impossible to finish 15th. We will definitely finish 16th with 6 wins and 10 straight losses.

HighettMan
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 6:59pm
HighettMan wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 6:55pm Does this result now make it the "mathematical" impossibility?
Please don’t even pretend you are now calling for his head.
If nothing else you are entertaining.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
DJ Higgins
Club Player

6 games left thats 24 points. we are 2 games out of the eight so it is still possible we will need to win each game by about 100 point but its still possible . if we lose to the cats it becomes 3 out with 5 games left. Long story short end of July we will most likely be goneski

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

It would need to be no longer mathematically possible to win 12 games. Forget percentage, a contract is legal. If we don't win another game between now and the conclusion of Round 18, it would be then.
I think we will win a couple of games between now and then, or at least one, so you would have to add one round for each extra win we have between now and the conclusion of Round 18.
To be honest I don't think anything is to be served by sacking a coach before the end of the season. He is the captain of the ship and sacking somebody ultimately relieves them of the responsibility to improve the situation they find themselves in. A caretaker coach can have a care factor of zero.
There are others at the club who are also responsible for where we find ourselves, and they will find themselves accountable when things don't improve too.
I am in no rush because I want the club to make the right decisions for the long term. Too much has failed at St Kilda the past three seasons for it all to fall to one individual.
I suspect the head coach leaving will set off a domino principle.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We need 13 wins to make the eight with our percentage. That means every game has to be a win.
We play Geelong, Adelaide, and Sydney away.
We won't win any of those.

He must resign...NOW!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Multiply the probability implicit in the odds the bookies are offering for the Saints to win the next few games of this season, which in its own way is worse that 2018. And compare that with other real chances for the 8th spot. There is a less than 1 chance, close enough to zero to be accepted by any reasonable Board. Do we have a reasonable Board. We don't have a reasonable CEO and the coach its like Capt. Queeg. For goodness sake give it up, you are stewards of St Kilda not its undertakers, regardless of how important you think you are and how sacrosanct "process" is. Think laterally. Surely he is in breach of his contact by weight of the performances not just by the fine print of one clause.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:53pm We need 13 wins to make the eight with our percentage. That means every game has to be a win.

He must resign...NOW!
But it isn't just him. We also have a Director of Coaching, a reserves coach, etc. The club shouldn't look at the new assistants because that isn't fair, they've just arrived, but the others who have been at the club for at least two seasons or more would be at least partly responsible.
I think it would need to be mathematically impossible for the team to win 12 matches, not 13 for any action to take place anyway.
However, next week against Geelong could be a circuit breaker in terms of the publicity for the club becoming very bad if the team go in with the mindset they took into the first quarter today. Geelong will try to absolutely blow us out of the water, and they won't be slowed down like North today, no way.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:59pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:53pm We need 13 wins to make the eight with our percentage. That means every game has to be a win.

He must resign...NOW!
But it isn't just him. We also have a Director of Coaching, a reserves coach, etc. The club shouldn't look at the new assistants because that isn't fair, they've just arrived, but the others who have been at the club for at least two seasons or more would be at least partly responsible.
I think it would need to be mathematically impossible for the team to win 12 matches, not 13 for any action to take place anyway.
However, next week against Geelong could be a circuit breaker in terms of the publicity for the club becoming very bad if the team go in with the mindset they took into the first quarter today. Geelong will try to absolutely blow us out of the water, and they won't be slowed down like North today, no way.
Agreed...But he must be the first Domino as the players aren't coached by anyone else.
The CEO and Coaching Director should also be in the gun.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Should we keep him?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richo, Hamill, Sexton have to go.

I wouldn’t stop there either.

We need to trade out a few players to.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

A few players, I’d get rid of a dozen!

Luckily a new coach will solve all our problems

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 9:08pm A few players, I’d get rid of a dozen!

who said that?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 9:08pm

Pretty sure if you explore the forum you will find discussion on topics such as drafting, trading, admin, lack of a dedicated VFL team, Sandringham FC, goalkicking, our debt, Lethlean, Finnis, etc etc

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:06pm Yes, it's now impossible to finish 15th. We will definitely finish 16th with 6 wins and 10 straight losses.
St Kilda can still finish 17th and draft pick No2 a super gun midfielder.
Carlton is capable of 3 more wins and Melbourne only need one more.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 6:54pm
perfectionist wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:06pm Yes, it's now impossible to finish 15th. We will definitely finish 16th with 6 wins and 10 straight losses.
St Kilda can still finish 17th and draft pick No2 a super gun midfielder.
Carlton is capable of 3 more wins and Melbourne only need one more.
Saints can still get 2nd bottom and pick no 2 in the draft.
No more wins and 6 rounds starting at 18 to go.
Melbourne need only one win against St Kilda in round 19.
Carlton only need 2 wins Gold Coast in round 18 and then St Kilda in round 22.
St Kilda, Carlton & Melbourne all finish on 6 wins but St Kilda should have the lower percentage.

If you think like this the pain of disappointment at repeated losses become partially bearable.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

After the loss to Geelong it is now Mathematically impossible for us to finish on top.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think so.

I'm expecting a surge in the last six games and have cleared my calendar in September. 8-)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The squares are all rooted.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
suss
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 7:50pm
It would need to be no longer mathematically possible to win 12 games. Forget percentage, a contract is legal. If we don't win another game between now and the conclusion of Round 18, it would be then.
I think we will win a couple of games between now and then, or at least one, so you would have to add one round for each extra win we have between now and the conclusion of Round 18.
To be honest I don't think anything is to be served by sacking a coach before the end of the season. He is the captain of the ship and sacking somebody ultimately relieves them of the responsibility to improve the situation they find themselves in. A caretaker coach can have a care factor of zero.
There are others at the club who are also responsible for where we find ourselves, and they will find themselves accountable when things don't improve too.
I am in no rush because I want the club to make the right decisions for the long term. Too much has failed at St Kilda the past three seasons for it all to fall to one individual.
I suspect the head coach leaving will set off a domino principle.
It would depend on the exact terms of the contract. No-one can say with certainty that he must be paid his final year in full if he’s sacked while finals remains a mathematical possibility unless they’ve read the contract.

While I expected that he’d be sacked on Monday, I think he might have bought himself some more time with the Geelong showing. It was a spirited performance at least.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I love it how everyone thinks it’s only the coach, and if we have a new coach all of a sudden our list with very few fit A Graders (if any) are going to start winning games of footy.

AR is part of the problem, not the only problem. But I think people think he IS the problem and without him, we would be successful. I’ve got news for you, as hard as it is to believe, there are many more issues than just the senior coach.

There’s a lot of cogs when it comes to being a successful team
Good players being the main thing, a good recruiter to get those good players, a good list Manager to keep those players, good coach to lead those players, good assistants to teach specific skills for those players, good medical staff to keep them on the park, good fitness staff to make them able to perform optimally and be prepared and conditioned for games, good welfare staff to make sure everyone’s wellbeing is fine.
And even more than that needs to be working to achieve results

Oh, and examples of Carlton and North
They have A Graders available

BarryGrogan
Club Player

suss wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 10:15pm I think he might have bought himself some more time with the Geelong showing. It was a spirited performance at least.
FWIW, I think that when a team delivers a 'spirited performance' and can still only muster 55 points - it's as clear as day that the system doesn't work.

For mine, that is as damning as it gets for the coach.

suss
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 10:26pm I love it how everyone thinks it’s only the coach, and if we have a new coach all of a sudden our list with very few fit A Graders (if any) are going to start winning games of footy.

AR is part of the problem, not the only problem. But I think people think he IS the problem and without him, we would be successful. I’ve got news for you, as hard as it is to believe, there are many more issues than just the senior coach.

There’s a lot of cogs when it comes to being a successful team
Good players being the main thing, a good recruiter to get those good players, a good list Manager to keep those players, good coach to lead those players, good assistants to teach specific skills for those players, good medical staff to keep them on the park, good fitness staff to make them able to perform optimally and be prepared and conditioned for games, good welfare staff to make sure everyone’s wellbeing is fine.
And even more than that needs to be working to achieve results

Oh, and examples of Carlton and North
They have A Graders available
Agree but we’ve brought in two new senior assistants, a new head recruiting guy, a new list manager, a new data guy and others.

What we need is a new coach and some elite talent. Hopefully some of the back room staff can deal with the latter while the board deals with the former.

Agree that there might need to be other changes too.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 10:26pm I love it how everyone thinks it’s only the coach,
BM I know that this is one of your favourite lines, but no matter how often you repeat it you know it is not the case.

You post a lot good stuff and so I do not know why you keep trotting it out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....