Riewoldt prefers "bad cop" coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Riewoldt prefers "bad cop" coach

Not sure if this has been mentioned from last night's AFL360, where the discussion was about different styles of coaches, the calm, quiet "good cop" and the strong hard edge "bad cop". Nick Riewoldt said that he always preferred the "bad cop" coach as it drove him to play better.

It was interesting to hear his views too on St Kilda's notoriety for sacking coaches: "what choice did the club have, sit on their hands"??

Opinions are running freely on who should be St Kilda's new coach and it includes both "good cops" and "bad cops". A lot of supporters want to see club legend Robert Harvey get the job, convinced that his attributes as a dual Brownlow medallist and brilliant midfielder will be exactly what the club needs to win another premiership.

My concern with Harvey is that club champions rarely win a premiership coaching their own team in the modern era, to wit Michael Voss. Certainly we can cite Paul Roos and John Worsfold but although they were good, neither were club champions when they played for the Swans and Eagles respectively. Harvey to my mind comes across as a "good cop" coach and he would be on a hiding to nothing and would risk certain ignominy if his Saints failed to fire under him. Far better for him to wield his craft with another club and if successful make a triumphant return to his alma mater!

For me, the current list of players are on the cusp of vast improvement and I am quite convinced that this will be best developed under a tough disciplinarian "bad cop" coach.

Clearly there are a whole lot of supporters who are threatening to abandon the club if Brad Scott is selected.

Ultimately the club will work through a rigid, uncompromising and fully accountable process to select the coach for 2020, and I will fully support whomever the club appoints - "good cop" or "bad cop".

Fortius Quo Fidelius!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt prefers "bad cop" coach

I simply prefer the best coach. He good be a hard arse or a new-age softy. I don't care as long as he is the best coach we can get.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

A combination of both like Thommo was will do me fine.

Doctor Two
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:33pm Not sure if this has been mentioned from last night's AFL360, where the discussion was about different styles of coaches, the calm, quiet "good cop" and the strong hard edge "bad cop". Nick Riewoldt said that he always preferred the "bad cop" coach as it drove him to play better.
Have to be careful who we wish for. This could be our Dean Bailey moment. Bailey a well respected within the football industry "development" coach who couldn't get a young Melbourne list playing consistent football was replaced by a "hard arsed" Mark Neeld. We all know how that went.

I think the modern coach has to be able to switch modes, needs to be able to cosset and cuddle, But also has to be able to wield the bid stick.

Not sure the millenials can cope with a pure bad cop.

Interesting choices ahead

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Reiwoldt's personal preference will suit him, but is it the best for the entire squad?
I remember beating the Bombers by 30-40 points and Rooey yelled at a female staffer who wanted pics with fans, but Rooey was mad because we shoulda won by more and wanted the guys off the ground asap.

Rooey drove very high standards.
I agree with Doctor 2, we need a bi-polar Jekyll n Hyde.
GT style, with a bit of Alves (just keep him away from staircases and young HFF :oops: )

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'd prefer a good tactician. And a list that doesn't need to be beaten into submission.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:52pm A combination of both like Thommo was will do me fine.
Yes. His great strength was believing in his players. Showing faith in them and backing them to play their natural games. We’ve missed that type of approach.

I’m sure he could read the riot act, too, if necessary.

kalsaint
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:33pm Not sure if this has been mentioned from last night's AFL360, where the discussion was about different styles of coaches, the calm, quiet "good cop" and the strong hard edge "bad cop". Nick Riewoldt said that he always preferred the "bad cop" coach as it drove him to play better.

It was interesting to hear his views too on St Kilda's notoriety for sacking coaches: "what choice did the club have, sit on their hands"??

Opinions are running freely on who should be St Kilda's new coach and it includes both "good cops" and "bad cops". A lot of supporters want to see club legend Robert Harvey get the job, convinced that his attributes as a dual Brownlow medallist and brilliant midfielder will be exactly what the club needs to win another premiership.

My concern with Harvey is that club champions rarely win a premiership coaching their own team in the modern era, to wit Michael Voss. Certainly we can cite Paul Roos and John Worsfold but although they were good, neither were club champions when they played for the Swans and Eagles respectively. Harvey to my mind comes across as a "good cop" coach and he would be on a hiding to nothing and would risk certain ignominy if his Saints failed to fire under him. Far better for him to wield his craft with another club and if successful make a triumphant return to his alma mater!

For me, the current list of players are on the cusp of vast improvement and I am quite convinced that this will be best developed under a tough disciplinarian "bad cop" coach.

Clearly there are a whole lot of supporters who are threatening to abandon the club if Brad Scott is selected.

Ultimately the club will work through a rigid, uncompromising and fully accountable process to select the coach for 2020, and I will fully support whomever the club appoints - "good cop" or "bad cop".

Fortius Quo Fidelius!!
I was with you until you said the players were on "the cusp of vast improvement".

I have no doubt some are likely to improve but there are many in the 3-5 seasons that wont match improvement compared to other sides IMO. that means our depth in leadership and expertise will still be missing and we will continue to get floggings at odd times. When we start to beat Sydney, Adelaide, WCE and Giants on away games we will know we have made the improvement. We only beat teams of low experience.

Coaches work over the team during the week and at games on quarter by quarter in game time for plays and skills. They will make calls when emergency decisions are needed in game time. In general its ground leadership that should be those who are creating an aura of team role accountability for those not meeting their KPIs. Alternatively they should be coaching those less experienced on their role in the game plan.

Leadership to me is the prime factor lacking in our team performance since Roo and Joey left. We don't have the skills, that's a longer team assistant coach need or perhaps even a recruitment issue to cover for longer term injuries to sustain team balance. We have been overrun so often in contested footy, particularly the important inside 50 marking this year. Accountability must be driven on the ground by team leaders. We just don't have Roos or Goddard to do this anymore. This is the bad cop approach needed. Roo said on AFL360 last year he struggled with the softer approach with Saints players in 2018. You only have to see what he did on the ground to get his message through in game time. We need that more than anything and we don't have enough of it. Good grief, we had Geary doing tagging roles last year. How can he do a leadership role doing that. Lead by example on players like Patton is great but it doesn't give him time to bestow the accountability just the lead by example attribute. We don't have enough senior elites in the side to do either. This is a failing within the current group and recruitment hasn't helped this with our injuries being prevalent.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Special
Club Player

This I reckon is where Scott will be a perfect fit for our club.

I couldn’t give a rats toss bag about the bitching and moaning from some fans about an incident that happened on field 15 odd years ago, or that he brushed off that twat King recently. To me, Scott is a firm but fair person.

HighettMan
Club Player

They will need to be really good in press conferences, have selection integrity and not allow bombs into the F50.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
axcellence
Club Player

Fortius Quo Fidelius!!
With all due respect to Riewoldt, Richo got him playing and excelling on the wing. With the 6-6-6 arrangements now he would be even more potent.

He saw his prime during Lyon’s reign so probably wedded to that.

Obviously, the greatest coach of the last couple of decades has been Clarke who’s been quite tough but also seen as fair (unlike Lyon).

What do I know though...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 6:39am They will need to be really good in press conferences, have selection integrity and not allow bombs into the F50.
Also needs to have 'Plan B'.
I don't even care if they don't have 'Plan A'.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sanctorum
Club Player

kalsaint wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 3:19am
I was with you until you said the players were on "the cusp of vast improvement".

I have no doubt some are likely to improve but there are many in the 3-5 seasons that wont match improvement compared to other sides IMO. that means our depth in leadership and expertise will still be missing and we will continue to get floggings at odd times. When we start to beat Sydney, Adelaide, WCE and Giants on away games we will know we have made the improvement. We only beat teams of low experience.

Coaches work over the team during the week and at games on quarter by quarter in game time for plays and skills. They will make calls when emergency decisions are needed in game time. In general its ground leadership that should be those who are creating an aura of team role accountability for those not meeting their KPIs. Alternatively they should be coaching those less experienced on their role in the game plan.

Leadership to me is the prime factor lacking in our team performance since Roo and Joey left. We don't have the skills, that's a longer team assistant coach need or perhaps even a recruitment issue to cover for longer term injuries to sustain team balance. We have been overrun so often in contested footy, particularly the important inside 50 marking this year. Accountability must be driven on the ground by team leaders. We just don't have Roos or Goddard to do this anymore. This is the bad cop approach needed. Roo said on AFL360 last year he struggled with the softer approach with Saints players in 2018. You only have to see what he did on the ground to get his message through in game time. We need that more than anything and we don't have enough of it. Good grief, we had Geary doing tagging roles last year. How can he do a leadership role doing that. Lead by example on players like Patton is great but it doesn't give him time to bestow the accountability just the lead by example attribute. We don't have enough senior elites in the side to do either. This is a failing within the current group and recruitment hasn't helped this with our injuries being prevalent.
Agree with this analysis kaisaint, lack of on field leadership has been a major problem since retirement of Roo and Joey and much of this is due to a shortage of elite experienced players on the list, it is why the club was so keen to get Hannebery. Geary IMHO does not possess the high skill levels necessary to lead by example, and all of the teams that are successful have more than one.

This aspect has to be a major priority for the club going into season 2020 and the likes of Steele and Marshall have the potential to fill this void to complement Hannebery.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
spert
Saintsational Legend

Might be just my observation, but I don't think the team has been "together" as a unit in the last couple of seasons- we don't have an inspirational player to drag the team back into games, and lack a really strong leader who displays strong leadership on field- although Geary is a dedicated and strong senior player as captain. Having listened to Richo live and on TV, I just never got any sense of inspiration, more just a logical explanation of what's going on and what processes can be done better, but with no fire in the belly in the whole package. He is a nice guy with good footy knowledge however. Not everyone is born a good coach, some just have it and some dont

Roo can have his opinions, but every playing group is different, and its a different one now since he moved on, and we need the best fit for now onwards, not what might have worked well in the past.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:39am This I reckon is where Scott will be a perfect fit for our club.

I couldn’t give a rats toss bag about the bitching and moaning from some fans about an incident that happened on field 15 odd years ago, or that he brushed off that twat King recently. To me, Scott is a firm but fair person.
But a crap coach . The reason he got the arse from North. 10 years and a f****** absolute failure. Shaw has shown him up for the clown of a coach that he was.

Perfect fit??? :roll: