Eleni Umpiring Saints v Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Eleni Umpiring Saints v Freo

Eleni is umpiring our match this week against Freo.

Lets hope we get a better go than earlier this year when we played the other team from the West.

It could be worse I guess. We could have had umpire Nick Foot as well.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Eleni Umpiring Saints v Freo

No!!!!!

I'm seriously considering not going, I don't need the stress!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Oh well I'm sure The Dud will support the rubbish she dishes out. When you back Aleem Dar you'll back anyone.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Leo.J
SS Life Member

I cannot believe she is in the best, most qualified umpires in the country.

The AFL needs to take a serious look at how they recruit, develop and train their umpires.

Umpiring is a joke at a junior level, and it doesn’t improve upwards.

The AFL needs to invest in umpires at a junior level to develop talent that stays in the game and eventually umpires at the top level after many years of experience, just like the players. It should start at grassroots level.

But just like Eleni, junior leagues are putting in inexperienced under qualified umpires who ruin games of football because they aren’t up to the level they’re umpiring.

It’s not the umpires fault though, it’s the AFL and the leagues not wanting to invest in this so this is what we get. Mediocrity.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

From what I can see within the limited umpiring stats around, she is the only field umpire to have been dropped four times this season.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 1:34pm I cannot believe she is in the best, most qualified umpires in the country.

The AFL needs to take a serious look at how they recruit, develop and train their umpires.

The AFL needs to invest in umpires at a junior level to develop talent that stays in the game and eventually umpires at the top level after many years of experience, just like the players. It should start at grassroots level.

But just like Eleni, junior leagues are putting in inexperienced under qualified umpires who ruin games of football because they aren’t up to the level they’re umpiring.

It’s not the umpires fault though, it’s the AFL and the leagues not wanting to invest in this so this is what we get. Mediocrity.
Explain to me how the AFL is going to develop and recruit umpires when you get flogs who don’t understand the game abusing and threatening them because they are not favouring their team?

Why would they continue? How’s a 15 year old kid supposed to respond to that at the local footy?

It’s sad and pathetic the way some carry on on here, and they would be those exact people cluelessly abusing kids at local games thinking they’re some kind of hero :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Josh Battle
Club Player

If it's seen as a full time profession maybe more ex footballers might transition to umpiring. At least they've played regular footy and have a feel for the game.

They need to pay them a decent wage and encourage more young AFL players who retire or get delisted to take up umpiring

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

A decent wage?

What is considered a decent wage now a days?

From what I understand the base wage of an AFL Umpire is $65K part time
Over 30 years as a professional in an industry and I am only earning 1.25 times that full time.

Can we get more decent than that - if so - I want to be treated 'decently'.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Fri 09 Aug 2019 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 1:46pm
Leo.J wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 1:34pm I cannot believe she is in the best, most qualified umpires in the country.

Explain to me how the AFL is going to develop and recruit umpires when you get flogs who don’t understand the game abusing and threatening them because they are not favouring their team?

Why would they continue? How’s a 15 year old kid supposed to respond to that at the local footy?

It’s sad and pathetic the way some carry on on here, and they would be those exact people cluelessly abusing kids at local games thinking they’re some kind of hero :roll:
Just like it's sad and pathetic the way some carried on here about the coach, and they would be those exact same people "cluelessly" abusing coaches at local games (when their little dud is doing their time on the bench) thinking they’re some kind of hero :roll:

Is that a swing or a roundabout?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
barneyboyz
Club Player

Went along in support of my stepson to a tribunal hearing (Dandenong Districts) several years back. The boy (12yrs) had been punched fair in the face and an 18yo male umpire had witnessed it, along with us as it was right infront of him and us.

Kid being charged gets to have club advocate, and so does the kid that was hit.

18yo male umpire, who saw the incident from 3 - 4 metres away was treated to one of the biggest lambastings I've witnessed, and might I say, walked out extremely embarrassed. I don't think he would have ever thought about reporting a player again since, and is probably not even umpiring anymore.

Point of the story is, and I haven't been involved for some 10yrs now, but at that time, most games played in one of the largest junior football competitions in Vic, were being umpired by very young people i.e. it was not difficult to witness 13 - 15yo kids umpiring 16 - 17yo players

If we cannot make the game 'safe' for an 18yo umpire (or less), then how can we expect them to develop or even want to become umpires at all?

Though, I guess young kiddies seeing now that there's potentially a romantic benefit at the end of it all, is most important

To the AFL, please get your game in to such a condition that the rules can be effectively umpired, and in so doing not excaserbate tentions to the point of extreme vitriol, with your supporter base and we might just see some real growth in the umpiring fraternity, again :x

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Cordz2
Club Player

First time I've agreed with one of your posts/Except for your last sentence which you don't realise reveals more about you than anyone else.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 12:36pm Eleni is umpiring our match this week against Freo.

Lets hope we get a better go than earlier this year when we played the other team from the West.

It could be worse I guess. We could have had umpire Nick Foot as well.
Nah fanks :evil:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I will tell you how Dud. How about actually giving the umpires correct and honest feedback so they improve rather than just continue to make mistakes. Correct them when they make on field mistakes while learning rather than worrying about how it looks and not how the poor kid feels having his head taken off but no free. Umpires have to understand they are the only ones getting paid at junior football so they aren't the most important part of the day.

George27
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 2:11pm A decent wage?

Over 30 years as a professional in an indusrty and I am only earning 1.25 times that full time.

And how many times, in the course of your career, and in particularly in your early years when you were learning your profession and wondering if it was the right career for you, were you subjected to vitriol and threats of physical violence from people you did not even know ?

I have been in employ for 46 years. In all that time no one has ever spoken to me in my employment the way I have been spoken to whilst officiating in a voluntary capacity in junior sport.

When a 15 year old goes out to umpire a junior footy match for pocket money , and is subjected to all sorts of insults and threats, I am pretty sure he or she is not thinking “ No worries - 15 more years of this and I will be on $65K “.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just who are you calling a flog? I think the fact that this particular maggot has already been dropped 4 times this year confirms who is actually clueless. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Never abused a kid at a local game either and I really take offensive at your insulting abusive post.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 2:15pm

Just like it's sad and pathetic the way some carried on here about the coach, and they would be those exact same people "cluelessly" abusing coaches at local games (when their little dud is doing their time on the bench) thinking they’re some kind of hero :roll:

Spot on mate. That's really calling a spade a f****** shovel. :D :) :wink:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 2:26pm

Over 30 years as a professional in an indusrty and I am only earning 1.25 times that full time.

And how many times, in the course of your career, and in particularly in your early years when you were learning your profession and wondering if it was the right career for you, were you subjected to vitriol and threats of physical violence from people you did not even know ?

I have been in employ for 46 years. In all that time no one has ever spoken to me in my employment the way I have been spoken to whilst officiating in a voluntary capacity in junior sport.

When a 15 year old goes out to umpire a junior footy match for pocket money , and is subjected to all sorts of insults and threats, I am pretty sure he or she is not thinking “ No worries - 15 more years of this and I will be on $65K “.
Sorry George - you picked the wrong target audience - lol - in general - you wont get much sympathy on this forum!! :wink:
However, I was a junior umpire - and quite a few times Mum was ready with the brolly

Including when I umpired a different league and did not know they had a send off for a 1/2 rule - but I sent a guy off for 10 minutes and then called him back on!

I was not saying that $65K for a full time role was excessive - but it is a part time role - which people also earn a full time salary for.

And I was actually asking - what people consider a decent wage - I have a B.Bus (Acc) but work in the mechanical industry - we are getting shut down - so will be redundant

Might take up umpiring! :wink:

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 2:31pm
satchmo wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 2:15pm

Spot on mate. That's really calling a spade a f****** shovel. :D :) :wink:
Close to post of the year. Yep, the Dudley carried an avatar of Richo and abused and carried on about him daily until the day he was sacked.

If you accuse others Dudley, you should not behave that way yourself. You fit in at the Greens party Dudley.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Eleni umpiring...oh dear. We have lost already. Lucky I haven't put a bet on yet.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I went to a tribunal in junior footy as one of my Under 12 players had been struck. Nothing sinister just a poor attempt at a spoil. The umpire and his adviser wanted the poor kid hung drawn and quartered. In a well rehearsed performance it was a true example of them trying to get a win. This is how the bad relationship starts.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You get paid what you're worth.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 3:16pm
You get paid what you're worth.
Totally disagree with that.

Some people get more - some people get less

Source:
I do Payroll - and I see what happens when you introduce:
- Nepotism;
- Perceptions;
- Preconceived ideas; and/or
- Desperation

But at the end of the day - if you can live with what you get and you are happy then you are miles ahead of either of the alternatives!

― Aristophanes

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Was also a junior umpire whilst I played Ammos for a few years. Dud is right about people abusing not only the umpires, but also the players. I had to stop a game once because some 40 y.o hero was abusing kids on other team. Was pretty disgusting what I put up with as an ump doing U/12, U/14, U/16. Certainly no incentive to continue.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 09 Aug 2019 3:33pm Was also a junior umpire whilst I played Ammos for a few years. Dud is right about people abusing not only the umpires, but also the players. I had to stop a game once because some 40 y.o hero was abusing kids on other team. Was pretty disgusting what I put up with as an ump doing U/12, U/14, U/16. Certainly no incentive to continue.

Its not right but in the end you were getting paid. Try standing out in the freezing cold twice a week through winter baby sitting 26 kids only to have phone calls and confrontations from parents who don't agree with how you do things.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Don’t stress. She’s no better or worse than any of the others.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"