Ratts Press Conference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

Ratts Press Conference

Just had another look at Ratts' press conference and was impressed with how he responded to the loss. His assessment was very frank and forthright without trying to paper over the cracks. He mentioned that he spoke to the players after the game "and told them what I thought and some might not have liked that but that's part of the role" - he showed more passion than his predecessor and it was heartening to see that.

elizabethr
Club Player

Re: Ratts Press Conference

Need to find a better option than the placid journeyman Rattan.

nothing to say
silverhalo
Club Player

Don't think Ratts is placid....

To the top
SS Life Member

We had Lonie, Long, Steven and Hind but had to move Carlisle forward to attempt to correct that the ball was not coming to the ground

Casboult was everywhere with his game acknowledged

Then there was their ruck dominance which finally won the game for them

I would add that we just did not use space - and nowhere as well as they did

They went end to end - including after a Membrey miss so a 2 goal play

When did we go end to end?

Noting Steven, Long, Lonie and Hind

Between 40 odd disposals they only returned 3 goals

Apart from the period in the second quarter when we went 4 goals up we just did not put scoreboard pressure on

Just some of the questions

And we need to identify a full back with closing speed because we were exposed there as well

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:10pm Just had another look at Ratts' press conference and was impressed with how he responded to the loss. His assessment was very frank and forthright without trying to paper over the cracks. He mentioned that he spoke to the players after the game "and told them what I thought and some might not have liked that but that's part of the role" - he showed more passion than his predecessor and it was heartening to see that.

Doesn’t cut it for me.

To the top
SS Life Member

So you want another Allan Killigrew?

saintbob
SS Life Member

He could have shut the door on the coaching job today, but was clearly out coached by Teague.

I hope Banger nails the interview and puts real pressure on him and the selection panel

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:43pm
silverhalo wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:10pm Just had another look at Ratts' press conference and was impressed with how he responded to the loss. His assessment was very frank and forthright without trying to paper over the cracks. He mentioned that he spoke to the players after the game "and told them what I thought and some might not have liked that but that's part of the role" - he showed more passion than his predecessor and it was heartening to see that.

Doesn’t cut it for me.
So who do you want as our coach?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

Out coached?

Really?

To me it came down to resources and ability to perform the game plan

They went tall, even with their injuries to talk resources

Our tall resources are what they are confirmed by our 2 KPP forwards are Bruce and Membrey, Membrey being 188cm tall

In defence we had Carlisle, Brown and Battle - then Wilkie at 191cm

Our rucks were Marshall

At times both Carlisle and Marshall went forward

The reason for this was that our forward line consisted of Steven, Long, Lonie and Hind but the ball was not hitting the deck - plus there was no spread to use space and poor defence

So what you would expect from our (forced by unavailability) resources did not come to pass

I note some included Hine in the best - but his input was minimal so I am guessing that 2 goals has influenced plus that one was eye catching

We lost because we kicked only 10 goals and Membrey missed what he missed

So those 4 did not contribute - including because the ball was being marked by the opposition defenders

That is not out coached

saintbob
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 1:30am Out coached?

Really?

Our tall resources are what they are confirmed by our 2 KPP forwards are Bruce and Membrey, Membrey being 188cm tall

Our rucks were Marshall

The reason for this was that our forward line consisted of Steven, Long, Lonie and Hind but the ball was not hitting the deck - plus there was no spread to use space and poor defence

So what you would expect from our (forced by unavailability) resources did not come to pass

I note some included Hine in the best - but his input was minimal so I am guessing that 2 goals has influenced plus that one was eye catching

So those 4 did not contribute - including because the ball was being marked by the opposition defenders

That is not out coached
Yes out coached, he allowed Simpson, Newman and Thomas to do what they liked ALL day.

He took Carlisle out of the backline and should’ve put him straight back there after he kicked his goal, but decided to roll the dice leaving us vulnerable in defence and with no forward line pressure what so ever.

Brown played on McKay all day although he didn’t have the pace or height to go with him, Wilkie or Battle would’ve been a much better match up.

Lonie should’ve been dragged after that insipid contest and chase with Simpson, his f****** ears should still be ringing!!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Outcoached because there were soft efforts across the ground. From the usual suspects.

No good complaining about it ion the presser. Should never be allowed to happen in the first place.

God help us if we get another three years of lurking and shirking and staging.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Carlton are about an 8 goal better team on paper than us.

And we made many basic, inexcusable errors.

It's harsh to peg the coach for a 10 point loss against a far superior team when we were lucky not to be mauled by 10 goals.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 3:31am Outcoached because there were soft efforts across the ground. From the usual suspects.

No good complaining about it ion the presser. Should never be allowed to happen in the first place.

God help us if we get another three years of lurking and shirking and staging.
You realise he's a caretaker coach right?

He hasn't chosen his assistants. Hasn't chosen his players. Hasn't implemented his own selection policy.

If you're expecting miracles from the coach's box, you're being incredibly naive.

It took Ross Lyon 2 pre-seasons and 18 months to implement what he wanted.

Ratten has been a caretaker coach for a month!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

elizabethr wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:19pm Need to find a better option than the placid journeyman Rattan.
Journeyman? What? Ratten coached at Carlton then found himself a job at Hawthorn before coming to us. Harvey went from an Assistant at St Kilda to the same
At Collingwood.

Clarkson started at St Kilda, went to Central Districts in SA, then Port & finally, to Hawthorn. On that basis, more of a ‘journeyman’ than Ratten.

One of the more inane things I’ve ever read on SS

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 12:34am He could have shut the door on the coaching job today, but was clearly out coached by Teague.

I hope Banger nails the interview and puts real pressure on him and the selection panel
Nails? Harvey already had his interview last week

Go you red, black & white warriors
takeaway
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:46am
elizabethr wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:19pm Need to find a better option than the placid journeyman Rattan.
Journeyman? What? Ratten coached at Carlton then found himself a job at Hawthorn before coming to us. Harvey went from an Assistant at St Kilda to the same
At Collingwood.

Clarkson started at St Kilda, went to Central Districts in SA, then Port & finally, to Hawthorn. On that basis, more of a ‘journeyman’ than Ratten.

One of the more inane things I’ve ever read on SS
I think the comment was tongue in cheek.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:03am

Really?

Our rucks were Marshall

That is not out coached
Yes out coached, he allowed Simpson, Newman and Thomas to do what they liked ALL day.

He took Carlisle out of the backline and should’ve put him straight back there after he kicked his goal, but decided to roll the dice leaving us vulnerable in defence and with no forward line pressure what so ever.

Brown played on McKay all day although he didn’t have the pace or height to go with him, Wilkie or Battle would’ve been a much better match up.

Lonie should’ve been dragged after that insipid contest and chase with Simpson, his f****** ears should still be ringing!!
Lonie not 100% fit might have something to do with it. Doesn't matter anyway, you hate him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 12:34am He could have shut the door on the coaching job today, but was clearly out coached by Teague.

Need to see Harvs front a hostile press conference to compare - The area I wonder about for him.- presentation to public in general is a fair percentage of the job now- Supporters will love him regardless but the need to sell the club.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 9:55am

Need to see Harvs front a hostile press conference to compare - The area I wonder about for him.- presentation to public in general is a fair percentage of the job now- Supporters will love him regardless but the need to sell the club.
bratty, you have absolutely nailed it. And that is the thing I suspect will prevent Harvs from ever being a senior coach.

It’s not a knock on him - just his personality type.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Kicking in to the forward 50 still our downfall

This week magnified the issue as we seemed very Stuv conscious, directing it his way pretty much the entire first half and he was completely out played. Out marked, out run, out everything

Membreys kicking yips really hurt as well, a couple of two goal turnarounds off the back of poor set shots

We seemed generally flat footed in the 2nd half and lacking desire across the ground

#1 Ryder fan
saintbob
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 9:33am
saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:03am

Really?

Our rucks were Marshall

That is not out coached

Lonie not 100% fit might have something to do with it. Doesn't matter anyway, you hate him.
CORRECT

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lonie

16 possessions and 2 goal assists

Reasonable output from a small forward

1 poor contest, where he positioned himself poorly at stoppage doesn’t define his game. That was a poor moment which will be highlighted on review, but he did some good stuff, especially early in the game.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Forget press conferences, they are sterile, dime a dozen acts that the AFL decree. I want Premier League no holes barred after match pressers.

Give me the audio / video of the Sunday / Monday coach & player reviews.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 11:57am Lonie

16 possessions and 2 goal assists

Reasonable output from a small forward

1 poor contest, where he positioned himself poorly at stoppage doesn’t define his game. That was a poor moment which will be highlighted on review, but he did some good stuff, especially early in the game.
He needs to kick goals.

His inability to hit the scoreboard is an enormous flaw for a guy who is paid to kick goals.

seano1
Club Player

Our fitness and players playing that are clearly underdone showed up today cause there was no pace coming from Steven Lonie Long Carlisle making thete aging backline look good . We were supposed to be the fittest team around but alas maybe after next preseason. As for who will coach it will be interesting...if it’s to be Ratten it would probably be announced this week if it’s to be Banger they would wait till the pies are out of the race I would presume