What is REALLY the problem?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

What is REALLY the problem?

With Ross Lyon?

The bloke left us, because we faffed about with a contract renewal, when he was fiscally broken. He got us to two consecutive GFs and, with a bit of luck, and hindsight, would have been a dual-premiership coach.

He proceeded to get FREMANTLE to a GF, and came up against one of the best sides of the modern era. No disgrace in that either.

Yes, our game style was average - but I'd far rather win games than lose them. We were relevant when he was around. We've been irrelevant ever since.

Atm, we are left with;

Ratten (who I like), but whose claim to fame is a decent season with Carlton;
Brad Scott, who did not distinguish himself with North Melbourne; or
Untried/unknown quantities.

It staggers me that, per SEN or whatever, over 90% of people wouldn't want him back. I can only assume, that is because we are butthurt from him walking out on us for better spondoola elsewhere. So what? He is a career coach, and whichever way you want to slice and dice it, the best performed of anyone available right now.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is REALLY the problem?

33% win loss ratio in the last 4 years. His time is past.

Special
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 5:41pm 33% win loss ratio in the last 4 years. His time is past.
Isn’t that better than Cho though?!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 7:10pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 5:41pm 33% win loss ratio in the last 4 years. His time is past.
Is that really the measuring stick you want to go by?

There are 17 other coaches and a few sacked ones that fit that criteria

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 7:10pm
Nope. Cho went 36 from 88 in the last four years. 40.9%

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 5:34pm With Ross Lyon?

The bloke left us, because we faffed about with a contract renewal, when he was fiscally broken. He got us to two consecutive GFs and, with a bit of luck, and hindsight, would have been a dual-premiership coach.

He proceeded to get FREMANTLE to a GF, and came up against one of the best sides of the modern era. No disgrace in that either.

Yes, our game style was average - but I'd far rather win games than lose them. We were relevant when he was around. We've been irrelevant ever since.

Atm, we are left with;

It staggers me that, per SEN or whatever, over 90% of people wouldn't want him back. I can only assume, that is because we are butthurt from him walking out on us for better spondoola elsewhere. So what? He is a career coach, and whichever way you want to slice and dice it, the best performed of anyone available right now.
The problem with RL is that it has been shown very clearly over a sustained period that without 6-10AA players with finals experience in their prime... he is a rubbish coach that doesn’t get any results whatsoever.

And clearly he is not capable of developing or building a list.

I’m not seeing too many AAs on this list.

IMO he’s the biggest snake oil salesmen of coach I’ve ever seen with more and more people finally clueing in that he’s really not that good

older saint
SS Life Member

Atm, we are left with;

It staggers me that, per SEN or whatever, over 90% of people wouldn't want him back. I can only assume, that is because we are but hurt from him walking out on us for better spondoola elsewhere. So what? He is a career coach, and whichever way you want to slice and dice it, the best performed of anyone available right now.
I actually think Lyon is a good coach, and many take it personal the way he left StKilda. Like you say bad kicking and a poor bounce away from being a 3 time premiership coach. That said he doesn't seem to have shown to have the skill set for where this club and list is at. I would be more worried if i was say a Leon Cameron or John Worsfold as the lists there seem to match his operation and style where he is successful. In fact I think if he was to coach GWS they could well win it all as they know how to attack they just cannot defend.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Tosser Lyin is an entertainer at least.

I love his pressers.

That’s where he does his finest work

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

One trick pony that bores the life out of everyone and strips the joy of playing from the players

Nee!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The best available coach on the market, like him or not.

We rarely if ever played a soulless game under him.

But it's all a moot point as Tony74 tells us he's not in the running.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 9:20pm The best available coach on the market, like him or not.

We rarely if ever played a soulless game under him.

But it's all a moot point as Tony74 tells us he's not in the running.
Best available coach based on what? Four years at 33% ain’t something to hang your hat on.

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

How many other coaches have taken 2 different teams to the GF within 5 years recently?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Singapore wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 12:11pm How many other coaches have taken 2 different teams to the GF within 5 years recently?
Recently is not 2013 and 2009/2010.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Atm, we are left with;

Ross could have had equal to or more premierships than Mathews and Bomber, if it weren't for some pretty crap luck TBH, instead...Nuffink. He would have been a King for us

Having said that, keep him away. No backwards steps

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Surely Essendon will consider dumping Woosha and inserting Ross.

They have the talent mix but lack the discipline & structure, seems perfect for Ross to come in and impact.

He won’t build them for beyond 2025 but he’d have them competitive for the next 3 years.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Atm, we are left with;

You mean he cost us two flags don't you?

Because the prick certainly did.

Also the lying s*** ran the club into the ground in relation to getting games into young recruits.

The flog is an unmittigated arsehole and I would think persona non grata at Moorabbin.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 07 Sep 2019 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 6:48am Surely Essendon will consider dumping Woosha and inserting Ross.

They have the talent mix but lack the discipline & structure, seems perfect for Ross to come in and impact.

He won’t build them for beyond 2025 but he’d have them competitive for the next 3 years.
A lot easier to barrack against both them and him in one go! :evil:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

st.byron wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 12:14pm
Saint_Singapore wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 12:11pm How many other coaches have taken 2 different teams to the GF within 5 years recently?
I would consider since 2009 there have been 10 other better coaches that have taken their team from rnd1 to a Grand Final

Seeya
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 9:00pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 12:14pm
I would consider since 2009 there have been 10 other better coaches that have taken their team from rnd1 to a Grand Final
And didn't cost clubs money in sexual harassment payouts!
Hope he gave back that purple tie he wore (with self satisfied smirk) at his Freo inauguration!
Don't give a rats that REiwoldt and co love him he is a low-life dog!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 6:48am Surely Essendon will consider dumping Woosha and inserting Ross.

Agreed but his game style just hasn’t evolved
If Lyon had demonstrated he’d been able to adapt, add a genuine attacking side to his game plan he’d have had success.
We know he can coach, we know he can galvanise and instill ruthless discipline into a team but equally we know he doesn’t develop and doesn’t free his sides up into attack often enough
I think Lyon is tailor made for a footy director role perhaps mentoring new coaches attempt8ng to get their team to play 5geir way but I think his coaching days are done
Make no mistake, ignore the dimwits full of hate....in 09 he took defensive footy in the afl to another level and arguably player inability to execute on the big day was the reason he didn’t win in 09......we had the Cats.

“Yeah….nah””
Special
Club Player

Lyin doesn’t like the newbies and young players who aren’t elite.

I know of a current Docker who’s not a big name that wanted out of Freo this year due to Lyin. Maybe he will stay now. That’s probably just one of many examples of players that can’t stand him.

Hopefully he goes to the Junkies and screws them up before being sent to the ex-coaches scraphead for good.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Sun 08 Sep 2019 9:31am Lyin doesn’t like the newbies and young players who aren’t elite.

I know of a current Docker who’s not a big name that wanted out of Freo this year due to Lyin. Maybe he will stay now. That’s probably just one of many examples of players that can’t stand him.

Hopefully he goes to the Junkies and screws them up before being sent to the ex-coaches scraphead for good.
My prediction:

Ross to Essendon next year.
Essendon 6th next year.
Top 4 2021-2023
No premiership and 2024 onward starts massive decline

Ross gets chop end 2024 never to coach again.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.