Tomlinson. Not Very Likely

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Tomlinson. Not Very Likely

The trade tom toms are beating pretty loudly of late and if the rumours are to be believed, the Saints are not doing so good.

And it is all a bit dispiriting.

I'm prepared to say 'doing so good' is a relative term depending on your point of view about the players we are said to be chasing.

According to the latest trade rumour, the Giants' Adam Tomlinson, who we fought so hard to get in 2018, and almost got, wants out but Melbourne is now his likely destination.

So no Tomlinson, No Amon who re signed with the Power, No A Keath even though he toured our facilities. All the money is on him joining the Bulldogs.

We're keeping Carlisle on a 12 month contract and no more. In any case no other club appears interested in Jake even if we offer him up.

On the other side of the ledger, we appear to be losing Bruce to the Bulldogs, Steven to the Cats although if Geelong recruits Higgins from the Kangas, will they still want JS?

And probably Acres as part of the trade to get Hill.

Paddy won't play for us again and I would be extremely surprised if we ever see Dylan Roberton play another game of footy for our club.

The only net gains I can see are these:

Zac Jones apparently still deciding his future. You'd want to hope we get some decent compensation for Bruce and Jack S but don't hold your breath.

Hill will probably come to the Saints because we offered him the kitchen sink. Would he still want to play for us if we hadn't offered him $900 K a season?

Probably not.

So let's just tally it all up. Hill and Ryder, semi definite. And who else besides Jones?

They expert commentators said we will be busy this trade period but it doesn't look like it.

Other clubs seem to have minimal trouble attracting talented players. It's more than a little concerning that we really struggle or fail.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Tomlinson. Not Very Likely

Bruce and Steven are contracted so we don’t have to agree to a trade if not to our advantage

One year will be our year
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's all bulldust and speculation until the 7th of October, that's when the trade period starts, that's when it's real.

Until then, it's all gossip.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Laurie
Club Player

When ever we are linked to a player you treat it as a grain of salt as players want to go to a club that has had success and unfortunately.I we havent.
So yes lets wait until trade period and see if theres another Hannebury out there who we pay overs for and try and get his body right.
Will not surprise me if we do not get Hill .
If Golstein is available lets chase him and not Ryder who is very much padt his best.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I would be happy with:

Hill $900,000 a season for 4 years with trigger for 5th year in exchange for Pick 5 and Acres receiving back Pick 24 along with Hill (which would give Fremantle picks 5 and 6 in the draft)

We take pick 24 (probably slides to 25) either to the draft night OR use it to secure Zac Jones from the Swans (turning pick 5 and Acres into Hill and Jones) ...

Goldstein $750,000 / $750,000 / $500,000 3 year deal as Free Agent (no draft pick or player swap required)

If and only if Jack Steven want to leave then I would be happy to swap for Constable - straight swap. Jack has 3 years left. Constable could be a 3 year bust or a 10 year player. Very very hard to break into the Geelong midfield ...

Summary:
OUT: Steven, Acres, Pick 5
IN: Hill, Constable, Goldstein, Z.Jones (or pick 24)

I think this improves out list. Pick 5 and Acres getting us Hill + Jones would satisfy me as a good result.

Bruce stays
Carlisle stays

At the draft, I would be happy to take 3 more State league gems from low low junk picks ... that last year netted us Wilke (gun); Hind (shows real pace and potential) and Parker (great start but jury out)

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Laurie wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 12:00am When ever we are linked to a player you treat it as a grain of salt as players want to go to a club that has had success and unfortunately.
Not really.

Players either stay at their club, go home, or go to a big club where they get to play in front of big crowds on the MCG.

The other lure, is to play under a particular coach.

Money is the outlier reason.

We haven't recruited a big fish since Blight arrived.

I don't know why people scratch their heads as to why we can't attract players. It's obvious why.

Think about it....would you choose the Saints? I wouldn't.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 10:49pm The trade tom toms are beating pretty loudly of late and if the rumours are to be believed, the Saints are not doing so good.

And it is all a bit dispiriting.

I'm prepared to say 'doing so good' is a relative term depending on your point of view about the players we are said to be chasing.

According to the latest trade rumour, the Giants' Adam Tomlinson, who we fought so hard to get in 2018, and almost got, wants out but Melbourne is now his likely destination.

So no Tomlinson, No Amon who re signed with the Power, No A Keath even though he toured our facilities. All the money is on him joining the Bulldogs.

We're keeping Carlisle on a 12 month contract and no more. In any case no other club appears interested in Jake even if we offer him up.

On the other side of the ledger, we appear to be losing Bruce to the Bulldogs, Steven to the Cats although if Geelong recruits Higgins from the Kangas, will they still want JS?

And probably Acres as part of the trade to get Hill.

Paddy won't play for us again and I would be extremely surprised if we ever see Dylan Roberton play another game of footy for our club.

The only net gains I can see are these:

Zac Jones apparently still deciding his future. You'd want to hope we get some decent compensation for Bruce and Jack S but don't hold your breath.

Hill will probably come to the Saints because we offered him the kitchen sink. Would he still want to play for us if we hadn't offered him $900 K a season?

Probably not.

So let's just tally it all up. Hill and Ryder, semi definite. And who else besides Jones?

They expert commentators said we will be busy this trade period but it doesn't look like it.

Other clubs seem to have minimal trouble attracting talented players. It's more than a little concerning that we really struggle or fail.
Has trade week finished? I must’ve missed the start

#1 Ryder fan
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tom ... 52pln.html

Most interesting part of the above article is this:

Tomlinson has also been used as a wingman, where he was closed to best on ground in the 2017 preliminary final loss to eventual premiers Richmond at the MCG.

It was that game that turned Tomilnson's fate.

He had agreed to terms with St Kilda and both clubs were already talking about a deal – likely to be a second-round pick – but coach Leon Cameron blocked the trade after witnessing how vital Tomlinson was in the preli

I seem to remember someone saying it was a done deal and getting bagged when it didn't happen, but obvious it was torpedoed at the last minute

suss
Club Player

He’s okay but will come with a big price tag. Not too upset about missing out.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

suss wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 10:24am He’s okay but will come with a big price tag. Not too upset about missing out.
He's average.

The question is whether he would be better in a tean where he can get more opportunity.

Sounds like we wanted him as a utility, whereas Melbourne have offered him an opportunity as an outside wingman - which he prefers.

SMS
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 2:00am I would be happy with:

Hill $900,000 a season for 4 years with trigger for 5th year in exchange for Pick 5 and Acres receiving back Pick 24 along with Hill (which would give Fremantle picks 5 and 6 in the draft)

We take pick 24 (probably slides to 25) either to the draft night OR use it to secure Zac Jones from the Swans (turning pick 5 and Acres into Hill and Jones) ...

Goldstein $750,000 / $750,000 / $500,000 3 year deal as Free Agent (no draft pick or player swap required)

If and only if Jack Steven want to leave then I would be happy to swap for Constable - straight swap. Jack has 3 years left. Constable could be a 3 year bust or a 10 year player. Very very hard to break into the Geelong midfield ...

Summary:
OUT: Steven, Acres, Pick 5
IN: Hill, Constable, Goldstein, Z.Jones (or pick 24)

I think this improves out list. Pick 5 and Acres getting us Hill + Jones would satisfy me as a good result.

Bruce stays
Carlisle stays

At the draft, I would be happy to take 3 more State league gems from low low junk picks ... that last year netted us Wilke (gun); Hind (shows real pace and potential) and Parker (great start but jury out)
I like it.

Unfortunately not getting Goldstein. :(

Sam Jacobs?

Really hope we get Constable. But we wont.

Steven for 3rd Round - you watch. We will get raped.
No Pick 24 also

What will happen?
3rd Round for Steven
Hill for Pick 5 & Acres
ZJones for Newnes & Lonie

Rocket
Club Player

I dont like that deal for Hill. we are giving up too much

The better scenario
Swap pick 5 for say 13 - 28 - find a club with picks around this mark
Give Freo pick 13 for Hill
Give Swans pick 28 for Z Jones
Then Trade Acres for another pick say between 20-30 - that gives us 2nd round pick
Then Trade Steven for say mid 20's pick or Constable
Other FA targets - dont cost us anything Ryder, Grey, Tomlinson (if race still open)
We then end up with Hill, Jones, 2 x FA's and 2 (1 pick if Constable) picks in Mid 20's

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ryder and Gray are not free agents.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Just heard a news bulletin on SEN that said the Saints and Melbourne are both in the hunt for Tomlinson.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vazelos
Club Player

We had him in the bag but we told his manager we have other deals as a priority first and his manager has taken that on board and said that’s fine we will go to a club that has us as a priority.
That’s why Demons are in the race now.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

For a team that desperately needs outside speed, why are we chasing Tomlinson? I totally get why the club doesn’t have him as a high priority..

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 9:04pm We had him in the bag but we told his manager we have other deals as a priority first and his manager has taken that on board and said that’s fine we will go to a club that has us as a priority.
Why is it deal dependent? Isn’t he a free agent?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

To the top
SS Life Member

So everyone cheering for Acres to go

Fair dinkum!!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 9:15pm
Vazelos wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 9:04pm We had him in the bag but we told his manager we have other deals as a priority first and his manager has taken that on board and said that’s fine we will go to a club that has us as a priority.
You still have to pay them. The ‘deals’ is about the salary and length of contract.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vazelos
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 10:22pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 9:15pm
You still have to pay them. The ‘deals’ is about the salary and length of contract.
Exactly.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Well if Melbourne is prepared to pay more then so be it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 11:20am Well if Melbourne is prepared to pay more then so be it.

Though if Vazelos is correct it is no so much the paying more (as our offer may be more), but rather that we are not prepared to say yes 100% we want you.

Chasing a player and stating well our offer to you only proceeds based on what over players decide is harder going to go down well as a recruiting tool with any player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Assuming we get Brad Hill, we should have the wing positions sorted between Hill and Billings.
Marshall in ruck and I guess, Ryder as back up or even 2nd ruck forward.
We have an abundance of HBF types, and Josh Battle as a mobile tall.
If they are thinking Roberton may also successfully resume, maybe there is no real point in Tomlinson.
Prefer to hold onto the $s and go for a genuine tall (B King) or another genuine mid.

Nee!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tomlinson is bog average