McKenzie ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

McKenzie ...

Sheesh it would be amazing act of trading thievery if we could get something more than a half eaten Mars Bar for McKenzie ...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/con ... 52uux.html

Go you red, black & white warriors
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: McKenzie ...

Well worth doing if we can get something of value.

To the top
SS Life Member

With Clark, Coffield and hopefully Roberton pressure will come on our small and lock down defenders to feature at AFL level

And about time

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Yes please will take a 5th round pick

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He'll be of value to somebody. We just have too many of his type.

And further to the McKenzie v Paton thread of a few months back, I think most are in the Paton camp.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

evertonfc wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 7:16pm He'll be of value to somebody. We just have too many of his type.

And further to the McKenzie v Paton thread of a few months back, I think most are in the Paton camp.
I'm in the Paton camp, but only because DMac has been there for a while and although has shown signs of some talent, he isn't consistent, and seems to be treading water.
Paton is still young and shows a bit more flair, and I have a hope that he can cement a spot in regular 22.
Paton's on the up, while DMac is flatlining.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

I hope Ratten gets a couple of years to try turn DMac into a very good player. If it doesn't work, then trade him.

😎
saint-stu
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
evertonfc wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 7:16pm He'll be of value to somebody. We just have too many of his type.

I'm in the Paton camp, but only because DMac has been there for a while and although has shown signs of some talent, he isn't consistent, and seems to be treading water.
Paton is still young and shows a bit more flair, and I have a hope that he can cement a spot in regular 22.
Paton is a pretty good kick.

1ac46a38
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

johnnyrayflamingo wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 8:28pm I hope Ratten gets a couple of years to try turn DMac into a very good player. If it doesn't work, then trade him.
DMac, Wilkie, Coffield, Webster, Geary, Savage, Paton, Langlands, Clark, JONES
Plus the taller Robbo, Austin, Joyce and Clavarino.

Even once Clark has moved to the midfield, I think we have too many players for the defensive flanks. Too many for some to be given a real crack at it.

If other clubs are willing to trade for DMac then great, as we seem to have very few players that other clubs want, that we can afford to lose.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 9:29pm
johnnyrayflamingo wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 8:28pm I hope Ratten gets a couple of years to try turn DMac into a very good player. If it doesn't work, then trade him.

Even once Clark has moved to the midfield, I think we have too many players for the defensive flanks. Too many for some to be given a real crack at it.

If other clubs are willing to trade for DMac then great, as we seem to have very few players that other clubs want, that we can afford to lose.
Understand but Rat should get a chance at him for at least a season.

😎
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

D Mac is pretty close to irrelevant for our side now.
How the hell did he get a 3 year contract?

Nee!
saintbob
SS Life Member

johnnyrayflamingo wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 9:45pm

Ratts did say if you can’t kick you’re on notice!!!

SuperDuper
Club Player

st.byron wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 6:39pm Well worth doing if we can get something of value.
well worth it if we can just get someone else to honor his contract... I would take pick 99

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 10:05pm D Mac is pretty close to irrelevant for our side now.
Beggars belief really. A contract for 2020 would have been plenty.

Same with Joyce.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

From The Age ”Jimmy Webster and Jarryn Geary, both of whom play similar roles to McKenzie, should both be back at the start of 2020”.

Very similar roles.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

johnnyrayflamingo wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 9:45pm

1/ You realise that is why we have so many HBFers already?

2/ DMak is on a 3 year contract. So it is more like trade him now if someone wants him or you are giving him "a chance" for 3 more years.

3/ We are not going to get better if we dither on making some changes.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 26 Sep 2019 2:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
takeaway
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 10:39pm
fugazi wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 10:05pm D Mac is pretty close to irrelevant for our side now.

Same with Joyce.
McKenzie was in the top 10 in the B & F in 2018 season playing only 13 games - was very good in the second half of the season. In 2019, imo he should have played a more attacking role, but often was a lock down defender, doesn't suit him, and he was beaten a few times. Courageous player, big tank, and quick, and I still think he could turn out to be a very good player in the right role.

He does make some spectacular clangers, but strangely his disposal efficiency is over 80%, kicking efficiency 74%, both quite a bit above Billings for example. Billings gets a lot more possessions of course. If he goes and gets a chance to play a role that suits him we may well rue his loss down the track. Maybe he in on the table because other clubs are interested - we certainly have to trade out to get those reported players in, with limited draft picks available.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Same with Joyce.
Isn't it the same reason they gave Newnes a contract?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Geez top 10 b&f in only 13 games last year is an amazing effort.

Really like McKenzie but can see how he might be on the outer.

Interestingly from champion data (maybe the previous years prospectus) he was rated highly in terms of relative ratings (based on age and position) for his draft class.

Anyone got an update from the 2018 version?

minneapolis
Club Player

It would be pretty smart to rectify the 3-year contract mistake any way you can.

I can't think of which club would want him. Only the GC people out at Werribee maybe?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saint-stu wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 8:39pm
WellardSaint wrote:

From my memory of him, he does seem to pick the right option and deliver it better than Webster, DMac etc.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Pundit
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: ↑Thu 26 Sep 2019 4:22am
saint-stu wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 8:39pm
WellardSaint wrote:

From my memory of him, he does seem to pick the right option and deliver it better than Webster, DMac etc.
Maybe you shouldn't drink so much when watching the footy next and have a closer look at Jimmy and his distributor skills. You could mount a very serious argument to claim if Jim didn't get injured this year we play finals.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I’m really like this churn we are doing. We have way too many bog average players on our list that we keep persisting with year after year and we keep missing finals.

DMac is one of them. Might get a good DE figure but probably plays safe footy like most of them. Also doesn’t demand much attention from the opposition

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 10:59pm

Same with Joyce.
McKenzie was in the top 10 in the B & F in 2018 season playing only 13 games - was very good in the second half of the season. In 2019, imo he should have played a more attacking role, but often was a lock down defender, doesn't suit him, and he was beaten a few times. Courageous player, big tank, and quick, and I still think he could turn out to be a very good player in the right role.

He does make some spectacular clangers, but strangely his disposal efficiency is over 80%, kicking efficiency 74%, both quite a bit above Billings for example. Billings gets a lot more possessions of course. If he goes and gets a chance to play a role that suits him we may well rue his loss down the track. Maybe he in on the table because other clubs are interested - we certainly have to trade out to get those reported players in, with limited draft picks available.
That disposal efficiency stat can be a little misleading.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

takeaway wrote: ↑Wed 25 Sep 2019 10:59pm

Same with Joyce.

Who cares about his kicking efficiency.

A lot of defenders have a high efficiency because moving the ball in the back half is comparatively easy. especially if you are conservative with ball in hand