Two Ruckmen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

poatina
Club Player

Two Ruckmen

Hawthorn won its flags with two ruckman. Richmond had two ruckman in the GF this year. We’ve preferred to usually go with one and a “ chop out “ whose game suffers as does team structure . Nearly all indications so far, especially concerning Bruce, would indicate our recruiting and trading are as hopeless and muddled as usual but if the recruitment of Ryder is in order to run two genuine ruckman, that is good .

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Two Ruckmen

poatina wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2019 7:53pm Richmond had two ruckman in the GF this year. We’ve preferred to usually go with one and a “ chop out “ whose game suffers as does team structure
Yes this year Richmond won a GF easily with 2 rucks and 2 genuine key forwards.

In 2017 Richmond won a GF with one ruck and only one key forward.

There is more than one structure that can win.

I have never seen a team win a GF though without genuine stars and a very committed team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Amazing.

Some would have you think we should play a ruckman at all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't care as long as we don't hinder Marshall's development. He looks set for Brody Grundy like excellence. I hope we don't slow that down. He was our most exciting prospect for years.

Hawks always liked a big ruckman up front like Hale who could spill the ball.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:07am I don't care as long as we don't hinder Marshall's development. He looks set for Brody Grundy like excellence. I hope we don't slow that down. He was our most exciting prospect for years.

Agreed. It’s the right structure.

Am not a huge fan of Paddy Ryder but one can at least respect that it’s the style of player that want

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:07am

Hawks will have Patton next year. Plus have Lewis developing.

So it will be interesting in 2020 if they also play both Ceglar and Big Ben (in 2019 they did not always play the two rucks together).

Big Ben was also used as a CHB late in the year and only gained the 1 HO in the game showing how little he rucked. Clarko may have just been experimenting tough and the Hawks were short on key defenders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:07am I don't care as long as we don't hinder Marshall's development. He looks set for Brody Grundy like excellence. I hope we don't slow that down. He was our most exciting prospect for years.

I agree with this.

However the aspect of his game where Marshall really shone was his contested ball work in the midfield. He was like a giant mid and was a huge clearance player for St Kilda this year.

As his confidence and abilities grew, and as his team mates knew better what to do to leverage of it you saw more and more him winning the ball, his opponents trying to tackle and bring him to the ground in vain, as Marshall then dished off handballs to team mates in the clear. Just imagine in 2020 when Hill will be one of them!

Marshall has obviously great core strength, and know how to keep his feet.

These contested ball abilities will be almost completely wasted if we use Marshall instead as just a lead up forward. This to me is why Marshall should mainly be playing as the No 1 ruck. In this role he is a real weapon. We desperately need to improve the effectiveness of our midfield group. As a lead up forward he will be what???

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Like to know where Marshall plays when Ryder is in the ruck, and how long for?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

2017 1 ruckman, 2019 2 ruckman do we need 3 ruckman then? or get really ahead of the curve go with 4 ruckman?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:12pm Like to know where Marshall plays when Ryder is in the ruck, and how long for?
There's bloody great big hole at FF now, if Battle doesn't offset it, surely Marshall resting there fills it?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We need to make the Balkans and the former Yugoslav nations our new hunting grounds for next gen rucks

My neck was killing me travelling through Croatia and Serbia because everyone is so tall. And I'm not talking about just 7 foot bean poles either

We can start first up with finding out where Ivan Soldo's rellies are from and what sort of goats milk or wild artichokes they consume that makes them so big...LOL

On a side note..It's sad that we had guys like Hickey and Longer who were high draft picks as juniors and yet we couldn't help develop them, and yet Richmond turn an amateur into a professional in the space of three years. I'm sure that 'perfectionist' and his thread might go a little way to explaining things.

http://www.google.com.au/url?q=https:// ... GxF09c988Q

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So we take a player who dominated in a position, and change one of the only things that succeeded in 2019?

Why do you think Marshall would be a good FF?

And before you say it, Ryder is a horrible forward.