Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Acres

It would seem that any deal with Hill will require Acres involvement. Does anyone know whether Acres actually wants to go?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Acres

Of course not. Why would anybody want to go to that s*** team! :)

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Is there any evidence that Freo want Acres? Legitimate question I have no idea. I have seen this being mentioned and I would have no issue with it but I have not seen from Freo to suggest they have an interest in him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Acres would have to agree so I imagine it’s been raised with him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Apparently our original offer to the Shockers for Hill was pick 6, Acres and a second-round pick. They are damn fools for knocking that one back!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Ape_Man
Club Player

I really want to see Acres for one more year under a new coach.

Also not fussed if we don’t get Hill. His highlight package is great, but the don’t think his 4 quarter efforts are worth selling the farm.

To the top
SS Life Member

I repeat that if you look across our winning games over the past 4 years you will find that Acres has been a consistent performer when we win

With him significantly absent injured in 2018 we won just 4 games - and if my recall is correct he was a contributor to our Round 1 win that year

Why the preoccupation with trading out a player who has evidenced he can contribute to a win?

The problem has been that over the period we have had too few players who can contribute to a win - so start looking there

Acres is 75 games into his career

Then you get to his usage, as a designated F50 player (and a forward he is not), rucking and running the wings (look at the Melbourne commentary on wingmen having tried 15 or whatever the number is). Running the wings can be a most frustrating requirement

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i think Hill was a bargain for Freo at pick 24.He's looking very overpriced for the Saints. I am gobsmacked with what we offered, and even more gobsmacked Freo knocked it back.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 7:59pm I really want to see Acres for one more year under a new coach.

Also not fussed if we don’t get Hill. His highlight package is great, but the don’t think his 4 quarter efforts are worth selling the farm.
Agree with you. If Acres stays this could be the kick in the a*** he needs to realise his undoubted potential.

If he goes I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. Us being St Kilda, I fear it may.

Ape_Man
Club Player

I admit that I am biased, Acres is one of my favourites. Has been for some time.

Like TtT says, he has been really important in our wins. One of a select few that looks to advantage.

Big bodied plays can take some time. Cripps and Bont are exceptions, not the rule.

I know people want instant superstars. But it doesn’t always happen quickly. Hell, it took Goddard a few years to blossom. I know a few supporters that wanted to get rid of him after a few years and he developed in an elite system.

Just give Acres one more year please Saints.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Acres is no BJ.

Not competitive enough for starters. BJ was a figgin maniac.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ape_Man
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Acres is no BJ.

Was just pointing out that it took some time for Goddard to realise his potential.

It took years for BJ to realise his potential.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 9:19pm
SaintPav wrote:Acres is no BJ.

Was just pointing out that it took some time for Goddard to realise his potential.

It took years for BJ to realise his potential.
👍

saintkid
Club Player

We like Acres too. Shows in glimpses how much ability he has and needs persevering. Would be pretty disappointed if he was traded.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think Blake has much upside.

Happy if he stays but if he’s the difference between us getting Hill or not, happy to cut him loose.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

In Goddard 4th year 2006, he was excellent. Averaged over 20 and looked ready to really take off.

Until doing his knee in 07 he was killing it.

This, it took years for BJ is a bit of a croc.

His first three years he was patchy, partly because he was thrown around so much, partly because he was still getting used to the tempo of AFL footy and partly was he struggled with expectation.

But once he found his groove, he was a gun

To the top
SS Life Member

With a better and better balanced side on the park, I am of the view that correctly deployed Acres will be one of our leading lights among a raft of others

We need to make a decision on Ross, Steele and Dunstan

Whilst those 3 have different skill sets, Steele as a tackling and handball asset, Dunstan as a bottom of the pack contester and Ross who mostly runs away from the contest going to his left side hence not straight at the goal hence generally poor disposal, they are all similar in what they contribute to the side including in regard leg speed

So the question to me is not Acres who contributes to scores but Steele, Dunstan and Ross who has 22 goals in 124 games

That is what I mean by better balance

Then maybe absent Steven whose contribution supports the above assessment

We need Hill

I read Jones has leg speed

Gresham is clever but does not have leg speed hence better deployed within range of goal

So, again, we put the right players in the right positions - including Acres

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Acres been there for 6 years

Not sure he’s ever finished top 10 in the b&f

Even McKenzie has done that

To the top
SS Life Member

Goddard has the turning circle of the Queen Mary hence deployed as a quarter back

If he was so good why was he used in that role and not in the “guts”

He was generally a good ball user but his possessions were usually accrued in the spare quarter back role including by demanding the ball as the free player

Hence he was let go

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You must have missed the 2010 GF?

In fact you must have missed the entire 2009/2010 seasons

Top Ten player I the AFL in both those seasons with a combined tally of nearly 1400 possessions.

Acres doesn’t get a run in the midfield because he isn’t up to it, he’s had 6 years in the system and is still a fringe player

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'm a big 8cres fan and would be very disappointed in the club if they moved him on.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Ape_Man
Club Player

B.M wrote:You must have missed the 2010 GF?

Top Ten player I the AFL in both those seasons with a combined tally of nearly 1400 possessions.

Acres doesn’t get a run in the midfield because he isn’t up to it, he’s had 6 years in the system and is still a fringe player
Goddard was epic in 09/10. I thought he was going to be the Ablett/Judd level after 2010.

I wasn’t saying Acres is the next BJ, just pointing out not all players are instant guns.

Ape_Man
Club Player

B.M wrote:You must have missed the 2010 GF?

Goddard was epic in 09/10. I thought he was going to go to the Ablett Jr/Judd level after 2010.

I wasn’t saying Acres is the next BJ, just pointing out not all players are instant guns.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 10:05pm Goddard has the turning circle of the Queen Mary hence deployed as a quarter back

If he was so good why was he used in that role and not in the “guts”

He was generally a good ball user but his possessions were usually accrued in the spare quarter back role including by demanding the ball as the free player

Hence he was let go
FFS, talking up a C grade AFL player in Acres and knocking Goddard is ridiculous. Anyone comparing Acres to Goddard in anything other than similar size is taking the piss.

Just because you emphasize your opinion by writing “I repeat” does not validate your opinion as being remotely factual.

Goddard was a gun in his 4th season before he did his knee, he was AA at the same age Acres is now.

You believe Acres is a match winner, that’s your opinion but reality is he is a guy who shows flashes of talent and elite quality from time to time but is right now a C grader without a position not a gun.

If he was a gun wouldn’t Freo have grabbed him along with #6 for Hill? Why don’t they want the match winner on their list?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Keep him

I’ve gone cold on the Hill deal, we’ll be paying overs and I’m sick to death of us getting screwed over by other clubs at this time of year.

Yep, I loved it yesterday when we traded pick 6 but we need to now hold our nerve and make it happen on our terms.

1st round this and a 2nd round next year is all we should be paying