I think we need to talk about David Armitage!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: I think we need to talk about David Armitage!

Unquestionably best 22, and an absolutely vital cog of our line up.

As a few have mentioned, played with a lot of duress this year, and it was unbelievable that he managed to play 22 games.

Tough as nails, can find the ball, and can kick a goal. Opponents hate playing against Armo.

The Saints are coming!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Obviously 2015 was a better year for him - and Armo seemed to be carrying something this year?

Despite this, that last quarter Armo played against Freo this year (along with Steven) that turned the game on its head - when their midfield to that point had complete control of the game and Freo looked to be heading for a big win (their first for the year) - convinced me of his importance.

Hopefully, he'll be back to his injury-free, free-moving best next year.

But what we may have to keep in mind:
The depth of our midfield next year might mean that we now have 8 genuine midfielders to share the 160-odd midfield possessions on offer ... so you might not get one player getting 40 possessions any more - and that should only be expected. It's the collective that will get the job done, and Armo will be an important part of it.
We should probably therefore stop poring over individual stats, and start looking at our midfield vs the opposition midfield as a whole.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope he can return to the 2015 form, for his and the teams sake?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
citywest wrote:Should have traded him to Richmond 2 years ago for pick 12.
You really are clueless, aren't you?
Actually, you are clueless Sainternist. This is a forum which means everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I honestly believe that if pick 12 was on offer from Richmond we should have taken it. We would now have a 20 year old gun with 30 games under his belt and his best footy ahead of him. Instead, we have Armo who is 29 with his best footy behind him. If you don't agree then that's fine but don't you dare come on here and say I'm clueless.

Well, I dare because you dont have a clue.

shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
citywest wrote:Should have traded him to Richmond 2 years ago for pick 12.
You really are clueless, aren't you?
Actually, you are clueless Sainternist. This is a forum which means everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I honestly believe that if pick 12 was on offer from Richmond we should have taken it. We would now have a 20 year old gun with 30 games under his belt and his best footy ahead of him. Instead, we have Armo who is 29 with his best footy behind him. If you don't agree then that's fine but don't you dare come on here and say I'm clueless.

Well, I dare because you dont have a clue.
If it was a legitimate possibility we could have had Lachie Weller (taken at pick 13) or Laverde (taken at pick 20). But I do love Armo.

To the top
SS Life Member

The comment on the numbers we hope and trust we will have available thru our mid-field in 2017 and consequently we will see a greater spread of possession earners but totaling more is valid.

It is contribution to team.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Armo is a crash em bash em inside mid who runs hard and knows were to bob up both attacking and defensively. He is also accountable for his direct opponent and would probably make best 22 in most sides.

He wont be remembered as a devastatingly effective footballer but he will be remembered for his contribution to the culture of the club during an extremely challenging period of rebuild.

I wouldn't trade him but Hawthorn would.