Weird scenes of camaraderie after the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Weird scenes of camaraderie after the game

One of the strangest things I witnessed after the game was the quite eerie friendliness and amicability between Saints and Pies fans. It was like we were bonded together having witnessed something quite amazing

All day M10 (Saints)and M11 (Pies) had been going at each other, with stirrers in both bays giving it to the opposition across the aisle. Yet as that same aisle filled after the game there were wry smiles, friendly discussion, even a handshake or two. Outside the ground was pretty similar

Was just one more weird ramification of this game that I very much doubt I'll see ever again at a Saints Pies game

Anyone else witness similar scenes post-game?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
FQF
SS Life Member

The two Nicks (Riewoldt and Maxwell) seemed to be having a friendly chat after the game.

And even stranger, one of the umpires seemed to be pulling up a Saint who was on the ground. I don't know if it was just a handshake in a strange position, but it certainly looked strange.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I had a conversation with a knowledgable Pies supporter with all his teeth, all the way back to the city.

Poor bugger came over from tassy and bought a corporate ticket for $1300 and no result!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weird scenes of camaraderie after the game

saint66au wrote:One of the strangest things I witnessed after the game was the quite eerie friendliness and amicability between Saints and Pies fans. It was like we were bonded together having witnessed something quite amazing

All day M10 (Saints)and M11 (Pies) had been going at each other, with stirrers in both bays giving it to the opposition across the aisle. Yet as that same aisle filled after the game there were wry smiles, friendly discussion, even a handshake or two. Outside the ground was pretty similar

Was just one more weird ramification of this game that I very much doubt I'll see ever again at a Saints Pies game

I know what you mean saint66au.

We were actually surrounded by them where we were seated and they were going right off during the game. But afterwards it was all handshakes.

Mind you, we checked those in front of us before the game and they all had a mouthful of teeth and no visible skin art, so perhaps they were faux pies. :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The two Nicks (Riewoldt and Maxwell) seemed to be having a friendly chat after the game.

And even stranger, one of the umpires seemed to be pulling up a Saint who was on the ground. I don't know if it was just a handshake in a strange position, but it certainly looked strange.
That was Shuan Ryan helping Dal up !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintstime
Club Player

I was in m57 and some old bloke from collingwood tried to give me a cuddle , I thought it was great until he said we were the real winners we just couldn't kick straight

FQF
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
FQF wrote:The two Nicks (Riewoldt and Maxwell) seemed to be having a friendly chat after the game.

That was Shuan Ryan helping Dal up !!
Put in an early bet on Dal for the Brownlow 2011... he is setting the ground work already.

Liam_G
Club Player

I was in M10 also, row H. Saw the exact sames scenes at the end of the match. Walking back to Richmond station, the friendliness was bizarre. I'd be surprised if we experience anything similar to that ever again.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's outrageous, just what is the world coming to? First Phony Tony gets all kinder and gentler and now Collingwood fans are all friendly with Saints fans. I suggest the latter will last as long as the former, about a week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It's outrageous, just what is the world coming to? First Phony Tony gets all kinder and gentler and now Collingwood fans are all friendly with Saints fans. I suggest the latter will last as long as the former, about a week.
From where I was sitting, a point either way would have seen the pyschos acting in a totally predictable manner.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, I was in M10 and there were definitely some interesting exchanges during the 2 and 3rd quarters...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote:Yeah, I was in M10 and there were definitely some interesting exchanges during the 2 and 3rd quarters...
Im sure the friendliness didnt extend to that particlarly feral screaming nuffie Pie fan about half way up M11 whose hysterical ranting towards us every time they scored a goal was enough to even have his mates pull him back into his seat

Anyone in M10 will know the guy I mean..not all there sadly I suspect

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GRAMophone
Club Player

Same same where I was in the Ponsford. Nobody left for quite some time and then there was a very respectful exodous with several pies supporters saying 'well done'

It was either a full moon or close to it and felt like it.

Have to say I felt very priveleged to witness the day with BJ and Lenny's heroics unfolding down our end in the last.

Was fortunate to be surrounded by a great bunch of Saints. The guy who arrived and sat next to me was wearing a very old looking Saints guernsey which I asked him about. He explained that it was Verdun Howell's [spelling??] which he wore in 66. I seriously got goose bumps at that point.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Owen
Club Player

gotta admit I had good convos with several decent pies groups at Transport pre and post game ..

and yeah definitely everyone was just so stunned and emotional after what we'd just seen .. you couldn't help with the good natured 'seeya next week for rd.27' banter with the pies fans ..

It was far more awesome to share it with fellow saints fans tho .. this is what its all about to be a saints footy fan ..

older saint
SS Life Member

Everyone had witnessed something unique and had all emotion drained from them at the same time by the sound of the siren. I really hope though that the same time This Saturday StKilda becomes more hated than Carlton by Collingwood supporters for again denying them of a Premiership.

rexy
SS Life Member

Was a surreal experience thats for sure, the hush a round the ground was bizarre. In some ways as we left the ground it felt like we were all on one side for ne fleeting moment, we all had the same result, the same feelings etc. It was almost like everyone turned to humor (which I suppose is the Australian way) to deal with a situation they did not know how to deal with.

On the way through the grounds I said to my brother that I blamed Harry Taylor, he tipped the draw, a collingwood supporter walking near me agreed and said he had just said the same and we had a good dig at the cats together, then on the tram I had a good chat to a woman who was at the drawn game in 77, she thought we would win next week as apparently they never win the second grand final :) I didnt bother telling her that a lot of the players had probably changed since then :lol: . Later on a Collingwood supporter loudly announced that there were only 5 saints supporters left on the whole tram and that the tram was nearly perfect again, when I suggested that the 5 of us still had more teeth than the 35 of them he laughed.

Was a weird day.

Maybe this year?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Saw the most appalling behavior of the day walking out of the ground by a SAINTS fan.

Just being an obnoxious, loud and offensive tool.

Fair chance he might of had his head kicked by the time he got on a train.

A drunken dick head of substance.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weird scenes of camaraderie after the game

saint66au wrote:One of the strangest things I witnessed after the game was the quite eerie friendliness and amicability between Saints and Pies fans. It was like we were bonded together having witnessed something quite amazing

I guess it's weird, if you don't bother to talk to your fellow forum mates at the game. Not weird for me.

miss-saint09

Had the same thing around M29. It was like no one could believe what just happened. Lots of "See you next week!".

There was this pies fan on the train who so nicely reminded me the last time there was an October final, Collingwood had won. Only wish I'd known at the time that the last time they were in an actual grand final replay, they'd lost (didn't find that out until I got home).

Really bizarre and odd day...

Nattens
Club Player

Had a total wanker of a bloke down at the park in St Kilda right in the front of the screen. Everytime something happened he would get up with his giant inflatable Pies hand and dance around in front of thousands of Saints fans.

I'd already had 6 pack by half time, twit was lucky he didn't get a glass donation at high speed.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I hate them all. I don't want their handshakes or empathy. I want them to lose. Always.

f*** em.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
roxanne
Club Player

I also had the weird experience of shared shaking of heads and wry smiles and friendly chats on Richmond station with Pie fans. More freakily, during the last minutes of the game...I couldn't stay seated and ended up in standing room at the back of Level 1 - mostly Collingwood but we were all sharing the roller coaster in an unthinkable mutual way. It's never happened to me at the footy with any other supporters, never mind Collingwood.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Absolute tosser of a filth fan who was calling Milney a rapist all day and bagging all of our players starts speaking to me in a friendly manner with a minute to go saying how he couldn't handle it!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Q5
Club Player

Lucky enough to be in a 'corporate' area, and how the feral filth fans who sat in front of us got tix there, I will never know. I still felt as much hatred for them at the end of the game as at the start - actually, more, if that is in fact possible... :evil:

busso mick
Club Player

bigred wrote:Saw the most appalling behavior of the day walking out of the ground by a SAINTS fan.

Just being an obnoxious, loud and offensive tool.

Fair chance he might of had his head kicked by the time he got on a train.

A drunken dick head of substance.
Was that outside Gate 5 bigred? If that was him I told him to settle down as I was with my niece at the time. Poor form by him.