Old and sore, oh really Sharrod?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Further to the above post on recovery, Matthews did an analysis a few years about the optimiun age of players for a premiship window etc.

The conclusion was without a doubt it is when the average age group was b/w 26 to 28. There is is very good reason for this, apart from the mental seasoning it also involves physical seasoning and the ability to last out a long physical season.

The Pies have done this well for the young average age of their playing group this year by having a game plan that is based on blasting out of the blocks and then in most games just cruising in the 2nd half. That is why Matthews thinks the Saints will run over the top of the Pies this week.

He is spot on IMO. The Pies wont last it out. After 2 easy finals last week will be a big shock to their physical and mental recovery.
There is a part of me deep down that suspects this will be the case... but I'm trying to keep a lid on it!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Young Sharron might just be getting a little ahead of him self. He should try to get a touch next time before he starts trash talking.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

So the old players won't pull up, eh?

They'd better drop Davis and Ben Johnson then. And keep Jolly, Leigh Brown, Didak, and Maxwell in cotton wool.

We know who's going to be feeling sore - eh Sharrod? 22, third season in the seniors? Played 16 games last season, and 23 so far in this one? Mmmm.

Here's the demographics:

STK:
(4) 29-30: Hayes, Milne, Baker, Blake
(4) 27-28: Fisher, Koschitzke, Riewoldt, Peake
(7) 25-26: Montagna, Dempster, Jones, Dal Santo, Gram, Schneider, Goddard
(5) 23-24: Dawson, Ray, McQualter, Gwilt, Gilbert
(1) 21-22: Eddy

COL:
(2) 29-30: Johnson, Davis
(4) 27-28: Jolly, Brown, Didak, Maxwell
(2) 25-26: Ball, Swan
(5) 23-24: Shaw, O'Brien, Cloke, Toovey, Thomas
(6) 21-22: Pendlebury, Macaffer, Dawes, Wellingham, Brown, Reid
(3) 19-20: Beams, Blair, Sidebottom
Last edited by InkerSaint on Thu 30 Sep 2010 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Further to the above post on recovery, Matthews did an analysis a few years about the optimiun age of players for a premiship window etc.

The conclusion was without a doubt it is when the average age group was b/w 26 to 28. There is is very good reason for this, apart from the mental seasoning it also involves physical seasoning and the ability to last out a long physical season.

The Pies have done this well for the young average age of their playing group this year by having a game plan that is based on blasting out of the blocks and then in most games just cruising in the 2nd half. That is why Matthews thinks the Saints will run over the top of the Pies this week.

He is spot on IMO. The Pies wont last it out. After 2 easy finals last week will be a big shock to their physical and mental recovery.
But I heard some nuffer, I think it was Eddie, say that this is where their Arizona high altitude training all those months ago was going to kick in!

Alas Moorabbin is only 33 metres above sea level so I guess our goose is cooked. :(

Mind you, BJ's been getting a bit of high altitude training of late. :wink:

eppo67
Club Player

You are right Samoht and the more I think about it the more I think he might go for Stanley for his pace and tackling pressure across half fwd.

Regardless of whether he takes any overhead marks or not he is as quick as any other of our mid size defensive fwd. options and he will definately give another tall mobile option that might make Maxwell think twice about playing off his man with no respect. (ie Eddy)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:So the old players won't pull up, eh?

They'd better drop Davis and Ben Johnson then. And keep Jolly, Leigh Brown, Didak, and Maxwell in cotton wool.

We know who's going to be feeling sore - eh Sharrod? 22, third season in the seniors? Played 16 games last season, and 23 so far in this one? Mmmm.

Here's the demographics:

STK:
(4) 29-30: Hayes, Milne, Baker, Blake
(4) 27-28: Fisher, Koschitzke, Riewoldt, Peake
(5) 23-24: Dawson, Ray, McQualter, Gwilt, Gilbert
(1) 21-22: Eddy

COL:
(2) 29-30: Johnson, Davis
(4) 27-28: Jolly, Brown, Didak, Maxwell
(5) 23-24: Shaw, O'Brien, Cloke, Toovey, Thomas
(6) 21-22: Pendlebury, Macaffer, Dawes, Wellingham, Brown, Reid
(3) 19-20: Beams, Blair, Sidebottom
not sure what the fuss is about. what he said is true. saints at peak. pies too young.

saints to win this year (its our time)

pies can win in 2012.

simple.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

That's a lot of mid and back half run required from a lot of sore kids isn't it...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
westy
Club Player

Wellingham's arrogant South African heritage is becoming apparent!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Wellingham's arrogant South African heritage is becoming apparent!
He looks like one of those dandy types on the old cigarette cards...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
westy wrote:Wellingham's arrogant South African heritage is becoming apparent!
He looks like one of those dandy types on the old cigarette cards...
If Lovett is an "ex St Kilda player" then maybe Wellingham should be also.

I mean he was linked to the Saints during the Ballathon and has played as many games for us as AL.

So, a little respect please. I will not have Shazza called a dandy!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Talking of a dandy did anyone see his unisex reading glasses as he arrived at the recovery session. Hello sailor!

They alluded recently to his indigenous heritage recently in the paper. He might be the next Daniel Kerr who was incorrectly labelled an Aboriginal player.

ThePunter
Club Player

Only one club has this guy

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Only one club has this guy

What are you suggesting?

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Can the old men get up this weekend!

The young kids of the pies had a day extra break on us before the grand....

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
ThePunter
Club Player

I'm suggesting that we shouldn't be worried about St Kilda's ability to back up, as we have the best fitness guy in the business.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:STK:

COL:
There's the key age.

They walk amongst us...

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I REALLY want to see us get 10 goals in the first half this week and put the pressure on and shut all the media fools up.
I just do not get how Whately, King and others are still sticking to them when we strangled their scoring in the second half.
We need Roo and the small forwards to shine in the first quarter and make their half-backs accountable.
GO SAINTS!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:I REALLY want to see us get 10 goals in the first half this week and put the pressure on and shut all the media fools up.
I just do not get how Whately, King and others are still sticking to them when we strangled their scoring in the second half.
We need Roo and the small forwards to shine in the first quarter and make their half-backs accountable.
GO SAINTS!
Some decent bounces, some frees paid and some decent forward delivery and we would have done this (and then some) easily last week. The fact that the 'experts' didn't see this fills me with confidence when I see they are still pumping Collingwood's tyres. I know Maxwell's 'dodged a bullet' interview may have been merely lip service, but he was bloody right.

SaintTom
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Can the old men get up this weekend!

The young kids of the pies had a day extra break on us before the grand....
This extra days break business is a joke. We had an extra days break last year against the cats, and fat lot of good that did us in the last quarter.

If that's what we're hanging our hats on, we're in trouble.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

well reading through all this would suggest a SHELLACKING of the FILTH is on the card's....... :D

like very much... :D

hope very much... 8-)

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Collingwood supporter on SEN tonight is going on the theory that they were a bit flat after their tough game against Geelong so will be good to go this week. :roll:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

ThePunter wrote:I'm suggesting that we shouldn't be worried about St Kilda's ability to back up, as we have the best fitness guy in the business.
I'm sure if I was back in Melbourne I could dig up a photo of the Collingwood fitness guy David Buttifant going off to the footy in his Saints gear as a 12 year old.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Collingwood supporter on SEN tonight is going on the theory that they were a bit flat after their tough game against Geelong so will be good to go this week. :roll:
I heard that too, well, if it was hard to get up after the effort against Geelong..... :)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And David Parkin on AFL Teams (Fox Sporst) stated there was a rumour in Canberra during the week that the Saints had asked for teh game to be played on Sunday (not Saturday).
WHen asked by the other panelists why they would ask for that, the response was 'recovery'.

Oh and for those interested, the tips from this set of experts was:-
Tony Shaw - Collingwood by 10 points
David Parkin - Collingwood by 19 points
Liam Pickering - Collingwood by 6 points

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

God i really hate some of their players haha...not sure what they just get under my skin
This Sharrod bloke, 'Daisy', Swan, Beams, Sidebottom... so much generally hateable players :x
Maybe its just a Collingwood thang..