The Grand Final Replay Preview - By DaVe86

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DaVe86
Club Player

The Grand Final Replay Preview - By DaVe86

Wow, what a game last week. The Saints were amazing and I'm pretty proud of the Pies to hang on despite being outplayed. The replay promises to be yet another cracker.

My GF Replay preview is now up. You can view it at either thebigtip or the Collingwood website. It's probably a bit more collingwood-centric than usual but you guys might still be interested.

http://bit.ly/bID5Lk

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfea ... fault.aspx

Regards

Dave

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

[Saints] looked the stronger and more experienced side. Further, all their star players were very good. Despite all this, the Magpies still managed a draw, and that’s why I think the Magpies benefit the most from the replay.

Urm. 'Managed' a draw?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Great work Dave. Glad to hear you'll actually be going this week too.

Enjoy the game - gbut not too much :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Only 24 points up at halftime, and still managed to hang in there to salvage a draw.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Only 24 points up at halftime, and still managed to hang in there to salvage a draw.
Exactly my point...

Inaccuracy + choke + St K dissecting game plane + disappearance of key blokes + (fortuitous bounce x 2) = "Managed".

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I thought it was done well.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

"Despite the fact that the Magpies skipped away to a good lead at half-time, I thought they played about a quarter and a half of really good football."

"Collingwood would feel that if they can string 4 quarters of their best footy together, that they can score quickly against the Saints."

Dave, buddy, did you actually watch the game? We shut you down. You had no way of playing 4 quarters of good football because the Saints didn't allow it. If you think we will let you play 4 quarters this week and just lay down, you are delusional! Bit of credit to our team please.

"Importantly, they have also seen a few of Ross Lyon’s tricks. The Saints changed their structures in the 2nd half and caught the Magpies by surprise. This week they will be prepared if Gilbert goes forward and will put more attention in Goddard. They will also be more mindful of the 3rd man up in the ruck contests."

Don't think we have any other tricks in the bag? Ross has the amazing ability to make changes when needed. He has a plan a, b, c and d. Mick doesn't and refused to make changes to his game plan. Do you really think we are one trick ponies?

"The Pies had a look about them during the match which suggested they could see what St.Kilda were trying to do, yet simply could not do anything to stop it."

Can't see this changing this week either. Well surmised.

"Further, St.Kilda went into the match with prior Grand Final experience and dealt with the week in a low key manner compared to the Magpies. This week, that advantage is evaporated and the build up is a lot less frantic. With the Gary Ablett news coupled with Essendon and Geelong coaching dramas, the media frenzy surrounding the replay is a lot less intense. Ultimately, I am glad from a Collingwood point of view that this is the case."

You have experience of 1 GF, we have experience from 2. Still think that gives us the edge. We go about are footy the same way every week. More importantly, we show our opposition respect regardless of who they are. Seems that the Pies could learn a lesson or two from us in that regard.

In regards to the build up, thought your club was all about the fans? Maxwell, Malthouse and Ed were sprouting about it all last week. My oh my, things change pretty quickly. Seems some of your players are not to happy to be upstaged by Ablett, Hird and Bomber if their twitter pages are anything to go by.

Pretty disappointed in this effort Dave and usually I am a big fan of your previews. Don't always agree with them but usually enjoy the read. This piece is contradictory and smacks of fear and of trying to talk your team up. Disappointing.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigred
Saintsational Legend

LOL @ salvaged draw.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

DaVe, not that I'm one to tell you where you should spend your energies, but you would have won more hearts and minds here if you'd focused on a post-match assessment of your last preview.

Cut through all the spin and hyperbole and I think you'll find the consensus is that the job only gets harder for your boys this week. Every factor that you cite as an advantage for the Magpies can be turned 180 degrees.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:"Importantly, they have also seen a few of Ross Lyon’s tricks. The Saints changed their structures in the 2nd half and caught the Magpies by surprise. This week they will be prepared if Gilbert goes forward and will put more attention in Goddard. They will also be more mindful of the 3rd man up in the ruck contests."

Don't think we have any other tricks in the bag? Ross has the amazing ability to make changes when needed. He has a plan a, b, c and d. Mick doesn't and refused to make changes to his game plan. Do you really think we are one trick ponies?
Well, RL did produce a 'trick', but pushing Gilbert forward is not new. Neither is Blake, Zac, Fisher, Goddard or Dempster going forward, plus Gardi, King and MacEvoy sitting there, or Milne on the ball, Kosi down back, Blake in the ruck, etc, etc...I'm glad Mick's got all these covered.

DaVe86
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
markp wrote:Only 24 points up at halftime, and still managed to hang in there to salvage a draw.
Exactly my point...

Inaccuracy + choke + St K dissecting game plane + disappearance of key blokes + (fortuitous bounce x 2) = "Managed".
yes...and despite the fact all the above occurred...we still came away with a draw. So I think we dodged a bullet.

Putting aside the 24 point lead at half time....you guys absolutely smacked us in the 2nd half. We were merely clinging on.

Then you hit the lead with 5 minutes to go. I thought it was over. I thought it was a real sign of character that we kicked a goal against the tide.

Anyway, I said in my OP this was more collingwood-centric than I usually write.

It is true that every positive can be turned around 180 degrees...but then again I could do the same with every St.Kilda positive to come out of the game.

It was one of those once in a life-time games where both sides gave everything and neither was willing to budge.

At the end of the day...a lot is going to come down to the medical room and which side is fresher.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think the Saints will have confidence and the Magpies will have more doubt.

Every media person said this match will be won in the mind. Gives Saints advantage.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
DaVe86
Club Player

saint75...good post and I appreciate you reading the article.

No...I do not think you are 1 trick ponies...but I think Collingwood went into the game thinking we could play the game on our terms.

Therefore, we figured that if this would happen, guys like Goddard and Hayes and Gilbert would not have a big say.

Unfortunately for us, the game was on our terms for about a quarter and a half...the rest was all St.Kilda.

THis week I think we'll set tighter tags on Goddard and Hayes. It is not our style, but we would be foolish to let them run free again. Goldsack will come into the side to take either BJ or Fisher. It's easier said than done I know....however it will be the key for Collingwood to take out these 2.

Trust me, I am not underselling St.Kilda. I will freely admit that you were the better side on the day. I can name 5 St.Kilda players who were better than any Collingwood player.

If the game goes the same way, it will be the Saints who will win the flag. The onus is on Collingwood to try and find an answer now.

This is why I think we dodged a bullet. Realistically, I think you should've won the match in the end.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

DaVe86 wrote:saint75...good post and I appreciate you reading the article.

No...I do not think you are 1 trick ponies...but I think Collingwood went into the game thinking we could play the game on our terms.

Therefore, we figured that if this would happen, guys like Goddard and Hayes and Gilbert would not have a big say.

Unfortunately for us, the game was on our terms for about a quarter and a half...the rest was all St.Kilda.

THis week I think we'll set tighter tags on Goddard and Hayes. It is not our style, but we would be foolish to let them run free again. Goldsack will come into the side to take either BJ or Fisher. It's easier said than done I know....however it will be the key for Collingwood to take out these 2.

Trust me, I am not underselling St.Kilda. I will freely admit that you were the better side on the day. I can name 5 St.Kilda players who were better than any Collingwood player.

If the game goes the same way, it will be the Saints who will win the flag. The onus is on Collingwood to try and find an answer now.

This is why I think we dodged a bullet. Realistically, I think you should've won the match in the end.
Always read your reviews Dave, that was why I was so surprised with this one. Thanks for the response. Makes a little more sense now.

Do you really think your team will bring in Goldsack. I would be very surprised if Malthouse drops Davis. Any injury news that may be floating around that you care to share with us? :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

DaVe86 wrote:THis week I think we'll set tighter tags on Goddard and Hayes. It is not our style, but we would be foolish to let them run free again. Goldsack will come into the side to take either BJ or Fisher. It's easier said than done I know....however it will be the key for Collingwood to take out these 2.
By the same token it would be a surprise if Daisy wasn't given more attention this time around. Ditto Maxwell - and there's the rub: if the Magpies man up on Fisher and don't allow the Saints' loose man in defence they can't employ one of their own. Both teams have versatility here: the Pies with Shaw, and the Saints with Goddard or Gilbert.

I don't expect to necessarily see Gilbert up forward again - it would more likely have been Gardiner had he been fit. If McEvoy plays, expect to see him make a couple of appearances up near the goalsquare.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I don't expect to necessarily see Gilbert up forward again - it would more likely have been Gardiner had he been fit. If McEvoy plays, expect to see him make a couple of appearances up near the goalsquare.
From experience, you could almost guarantee we won't see Gilbert forward (at least not on purpose)...don't usually see Ross using the same tricks twice, even in a season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope that the Pies and their coaches are in as much denial as Dave is.

Make no mistake...if the GF is played on the Saints terms we will win. And every sign at present is that the Pies will be mindful of us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

InkerSaint wrote:
DaVe86 wrote: I don't expect to necessarily see Gilbert up forward again - it would more likely have been Gardiner had he been fit. If McEvoy plays, expect to see him make a couple of appearances up near the goalsquare.
That's not a trick or surprise. He has done that often before. Good mark and not a bad kick for goal either. :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
DaVe86
Club Player

saintsRrising....i can't argue that if the game is on the Saints term as it was last Saturday then we will lose. I don't think you can point to anything I have said that would contradict that point.

I believe the onus is on us to bring the game back on our terms. If we want to slog it out like we did last weekend, you'll out-last us.

It's hard to see us breaking you for 4 quarters. The odds are you will choke us up through the centre as you did last week.

However, for all that has been said...we had a period at the end of the 2nd quarter where we could've put the game away.

This week, we have to take that opportunity. If we gain momentum, we have to put the game beyond doubt. Last time, we left you in it.

Saints75....In terms of injuries etc....rumour is Pendlebury was quite sick leading into the game last week. However still some concern over Wellingham.

I think Goldsack will come in. We've used him forward, centre and back this year....so he seems a good option for Goddard who can play in any position...and he also has the height to play on Fisher if need be. I understand this match-up is not necessarily going to send panic through your camp...however his versatility would've been handy last Saturday.

I agree Davis should hold his spot...however if you jump on Magpie forums...they are calling for his blood. Picking Davis would be a very unpopular move indeed. However, I hope he is named because I think he is the sort of player who only needs a 5 minute patch of brilliance to win a game. Ultimately, without him on the weekend, we would have lost.

I'd probably drop Beams or Blair who both had around 10 disposals last week.

What's your opinion on Jone's and his suspected broken foot?? I believe it is a beat up.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

DaVe86 wrote:saintsRrising....i can't argue that if the game is on the Saints term as it was last Saturday then we will lose. I don't think you can point to anything I have said that would contradict that point.

I believe the onus is on us to bring the game back on our terms. If we want to slog it out like we did last weekend, you'll out-last us.

It's hard to see us breaking you for 4 quarters. The odds are you will choke us up through the centre as you did last week.

However, for all that has been said...we had a period at the end of the 2nd quarter where we could've put the game away.

This week, we have to take that opportunity. If we gain momentum, we have to put the game beyond doubt. Last time, we left you in it.

Saints75....In terms of injuries etc....rumour is Pendlebury was quite sick leading into the game last week. However still some concern over Wellingham.

I think Goldsack will come in. We've used him forward, centre and back this year....so he seems a good option for Goddard who can play in any position...and he also has the height to play on Fisher if need be. I understand this match-up is not necessarily going to send panic through your camp...however his versatility would've been handy last Saturday.

I agree Davis should hold his spot...however if you jump on Magpie forums...they are calling for his blood. Picking Davis would be a very unpopular move indeed. However, I hope he is named because I think he is the sort of player who only needs a 5 minute patch of brilliance to win a game. Ultimately, without him on the weekend, we would have lost.

I'd probably drop Beams or Blair who both had around 10 disposals last week.

What's your opinion on Jone's and his suspected broken foot?? I believe it is a beat up.
Definite beat up re-Jones. Said as much on this forum yesterday when the article made it to the light of day. Would be more concerned about Gram as against CJ.

Re-Pendlebury - rumour has it his ribs are the concern after that hard hit with the turf. Didak's shoulder is also rumoured to be 'shot' as compared to it just being 'sore' after Zac's hit on him. Both teams will be carrying niggles. It is a long season so it is to be expected.

It should be one hell of a match and I cannot wait!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DaVe86 wrote: saintsRrising....i can't argue that if the game is on the Saints term as it was last Saturday then we will lose. I don't think you can point to anything I have said that would contradict that point.

I believe the onus is on us to bring the game back on our terms.
IMO you will not have a choice on slogging it out.

First half the Saints, like Geelong the week before, made the two big mistakes of:

* allowing the game to be open

* overdoing the handball = feeding the Piemids. Back in 2008 the Hawks did the same to the Cats.
DaVe86 wrote:
If we want to slog it out like we did last weekend, you'll out-last us..
It is lot easier to close a game down...than to open it up.

Therefore if both teams are switched on I believe the advantage will be with us.

eppo67
Club Player

Dav acouple of points that cant be turned 180 degrees are.

Dal and Gram played injured or restriced.
Pies had an extra days break and 2 soft Finals Coming in.
Saints played a man down for most of the game.

And yet WE managed to hang on for a draw great effort Saints!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Dav acouple of points that cant be turned 180 degrees are.

Dal and Gram played injured or restricted.

Plus despite all the hype...the Pies actually kicked straight last week. They scored 9.7. If they kick with their normal inaccuracy they will get less goals.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Plus despite all the hype...the Pies actually kicked straight last week. They scored 9.7. If they kick with their normal inaccuracy they will get less goals.
Hadn't thought of that.

Oh. That's right. I know why.

Because they kicked 9.14.

Or are you taking out rushed?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Hadn't thought of that.

Oh. That's right. I know why.

Because they kicked 9.14.

Or are you taking out rushed?
Yes,
we seemed comfortable in 'rushing' behinds and taking the kickout option rather than trying to keep the ball in play.
It's probably a reason why they seemed to have so little 'goal success' from their massive I50 count.

Most teams they've played get caught in a 'zone' from the goal to about 30 which inevitably results in them scoring.

Other than the last 2 goals that Davis and Coke kicked, we didn't.