Positives going forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Positives going forward

Knowlledge that our best is still up there with the best. Today's performance was far from our best.

Our top 5-6 players are as good or better than most other clubs.

Our second 5-6 players are quality players too but need to develop more consistency week to week to provide better impact on the big stage.

Our last 5-6 players have identified an opportunity for team list improvement.

Those between 12 and 18 are probably either young and inexperienced players that need another go to really test their futur inclusion.

The game plan needs development from what worked last year to ensure participation in finals or we face a quick slide down the laddere if we are to introduce more speedy or younger players to the team.

Believe it or not, kicking goals is motivating for the players and crowd alike. We have had a slide in this respect this year so this needs inclusion to the "new" game plan for 2011.

Recruitment now needs to think strategically. This needs to be 1-5 years rather than 1 year at a time to match the AFL strategy for change in the game. We have been caught out with pace over 8 years as the game has evolved.

While we dont want a kindergarden (Ross's words not mine) we do need youth integration as they are easily motivated. We cant inflict a tough game plan as per the current option or we will kill off the new playing brigade with injury.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The weathers on the improve....and...hmmmm....good weather. Yep I'm out

Bring back the Lockett era
battye
Saintsational Legend

Well put, it's so hard to talk about these sort of things right now - thanks for the composed post.

I agree with everything you've said, so I'll just add to the part about kicking goals. Over the past few years we have worked on the defensive side of our game so much, and probably perfected it in 2009. Unfortunately, the window of opportunity where defensive footy will win you premierships is probably closed now. That's not to say that it should be dismissed, because to compete you need a strong defence. What I think it means is that we need to add an attacking component to our game plan. I'll leave it to the coaches to figure out how to do that, but what this month has shown us is that the key indicator has to be inside fifties. If we can increase our inside fifties exponentially, as we did to our tackle count a few years ago, then it would help tremendously. Somehow we need to revolutionise our game plan so that the ball is inside our forward fifty an unprecedented amount of times. Then the defensive component can be utilised to make sure it doesn't get out until a goal is scored.

Easier said than done, but I reckon this is what needs to be done if we are going to have another crack at the flag with this playing group. :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We need mobility in our forward line, I grow tired of wathing our talls trying to chase the defenders running it out of there.

What happened to the talls and smalls cohesion later this year, never appeared to be an opportunist in sight.

Not going to bag the midfield, they put in an almight effort last week, it would of been easy for the Collingwood mids to lift after their non-performance last week.

The Roo being fresher than everyone else theory was wrong, he appeared to burn out after missing so much footy.

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We need mobility in our forward line, I grow tired of wathing our talls trying to chase the defenders running it out of there.

What happened to the talls and smalls cohesion later this year, never appeared to be an opportunist in sight.

Not going to bag the midfield, they put in an almight effort last week, it would of been easy for the Collingwood mids to lift after their non-performance last week.

The Roo being fresher than everyone else theory was wrong, he appeared to burn out after missing so much footy.
The structure and game plan has been found wanting. Clearly, not by a lot seeing we made the Grand Final and almost won it last week. But these last few weeks have also shown cracks.

I agree SainterK the forward line seems slow, and Kosi seems extremely slow. I think he can re-invent himself as a ruckman, Grant Thomas has been saying it for a while and I think this past fortnight has shown it to be valid.

Probably some youth needs to be injected into our forward line, Stanley seems an obvious choice and hopefully is given ample opportunity next season. Maybe Steven as well. Also on our structure, I reckon we press far too much up the ground. I realise we sacrifice some defensive pressure if we keep players up forward, but too often we bombed away into an empty forward line.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Positives - we will never choose Eddy, Peake and McQualter in the next finals... maybe even Kosi.
We should start playing Walsh and Stanley instead next year.

Negatives - our window is well and truly closed - and Collingwood's just opened unfortunately... and the next 4 cups are their's.

I reckon Collingwood is almost a certainty for the next 4 years ! .. you can almost back them in.

kalsaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:We need mobility in our forward line, I grow tired of wathing our talls trying to chase the defenders running it out of there.

I had earlier identified What I thought needed review. I avoided the direction of how we might do this but I do agree with the mobility issue down forward plus include the 1 forward point focus used with Roo. We cant apply forward pressure as per Battye's note until we can get inside 50's and improve the mobiliy.

On another note I was a little annoyed that Nick didn't really get into the game and stayed forwad a lot with several oppostiion players hanging of him.
I was thinking at half time, move Roos as a roving player like Goddard and hace Kosi and McEvoy interchanging at full forward with Milne and Sneider at their feet.
With the bigger bodies nearer the midfield and crumbers forward there was opportunity to either feeding the tall forward or running into the forward line by either Roos or Goddard. We weren't winning enough possession in the midfield and butchered when we did have it to make the initial set up being effective.
Tall forwards only need to make the contest to provide opportunity if you have crumbers around. They were often too far away today.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
[ and Kosi seems extremely slow. I think he can re-invent himself as a ruckman, Grant Thomas has been saying it for a while and I think this past fortnight has shown it to be valid.
Don't mistake taking a few marks as evidence he can paly ruck. His actula ruck, ruckword is not flosh and never has been.
Happy to have him asa No 2 relief ruckman...but not as Mo1.

Personally I think Kosi's time is past. His awareness is poor...and if he does not mark he and the team is rooted.

Basically he and Josh Fraser are in the same boat. Not good enough as key forwards, and not good enough as rucks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
eppo67
Club Player

Smith Miles Stanley Steven Armitage Geary Walsh Heyne Lynch Simpkin. So how can we not be excited! 2 G/F sprint winners in last 2 years. We have a very bright few years ahead so HTFU people.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

What a f****** joke. The only kids we have coming through are Stanley, Simpkin and Tommy boy...

Let's not kid ourselves...the next 10 years will be extremely barron.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is gone - a 1 goal/week forward (if that) and bit ruckman is well past his prime - and hasn't fulfilled his potential I'm afraid.

I'd sooner go with kids... even Walsh.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 02 Oct 2010 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

battye
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
battye wrote:
[ and Kosi seems extremely slow. I think he can re-invent himself as a ruckman, Grant Thomas has been saying it for a while and I think this past fortnight has shown it to be valid.
Don't mistake taking a few marks as evidence he can paly ruck. His actula ruck, ruckword is not flosh and never has been.
Happy to have him asa No 2 relief ruckman...but not as Mo1.
I agree, I didn't mean to imply as a number one ruckman. I think McEvoy needs to be groomed for that as a long-term prospect.

But with Gardiner most likely retiring, Kosi can be more than adequate as a number two ruckman to McEvoy (who will get better and better). I said re-invent himself because clearly it's something Kosi will need to work on., maybe that means spending the summer in Steven King's ear.
Last edited by battye on Sat 02 Oct 2010 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

New facilities and $1.5M profit from 2 GF appearances will help the Saints' cause.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Let's not live in denial - Kosi is past it .. he's holding other players back.

eppo67
Club Player

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:What a f****** joke. The only kids we have coming through are Stanley, Simpkin and Tommy boy...

Let's not kid ourselves...the next 10 years will be extremely barron.
So you don't rate Smith Miles Steven Armo Geary Heyne or Lynch. Sorry but you are a d.....head if this is what you are saying. Calm down breath and think about what you are saying.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Geary is terrible with disposal, Armitage is way 2 slow...

Heyne is yet to be decided and Lynch has SHOWN ABSOLUTEY NOTHING...

TOTAL STUPIDITY NOT TO QUESTION OUR FUTURE.

THE KIDS ARENT STEPPING UP!! WATCH A FEW SANDRINGHAM GAMES FOR f**** SAKE..

MUST BE GOOD LIVING IN DENIAL...

THE JEWS ONLY THOUGHT THEY WERE HAVING A SHOWER...

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We need to bite the bullet on a number of players who were found out for pace again today. Collingwood has now joined Essendon in the pace race. A defence of Baker, Dawson, Dempster, Blake, is far too slow. Raph will be an improvement of pace and run and carry on each of them, and Luke Miles needs to be developed. Alistair Smith, and Simpkin need to play some games next season. Walsh. we need his size and pace but I dont know where Ross plans to use him. As forwards Steven and Stanley need to be played. Stanley needs to spend time in the ruck as well.

If you look at the players the two teams left out, it tells you a lot.
All Collingwoods young and speedy players were in the team, the older plodders were not. With St.Kilda the situation was reversed. Ross and the Selectors need to consider big changes in our on field personnel.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Miles and Stanley are too slight - Stanley will get there eventually .. Walsh at least has the physique.

i'd persevere with Walsh ahead of Kosi... much more upside.