ARMITAGE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:would not even consider dropping Eddy, he is a tackling machine.

We may need close to 100 tackles again next week to win it......dunno if we can manage two 100 tackle games in a row though....
According to the Age, Eddy had 4 tackles for the game, which isn't really enough to justify his spot. I thought he was better against the Bulldogs.

If Armitage comes in and we win, he will be a lucky premiership player indeed.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Steven and Geary are more likely to come if there are any forced changes, both are way ahead of Armitage.

Armitage is so over-rated on this site it's not funny, if he's as good some on here would have us believe then why can't he ever hold his spot in the team.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Gram will have to have a good week on the track...or at least in recovery, then a fitness test. Looked very proppy. Couldn't even kick properly.

Armo is a great guy in tight, and is a tackling machine. That game last year where he came in against Hawthorn and played like he'd been there all year was a good plus for him.

Depends how fit he is after all his injury woes this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:There will probably be no more than 1 or 2 changes. Macca and maybe Geary in for Gards and someone else. It really depends how many changes the opposition make.
Yep the only 2 as i see it. Ben obviously plays and geary is a chance for Gram if he cant come up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Geary is a genuine chance, didn't do much wrong this year. True defensive player the way ross likes them. The reason Armo doesn't get a game is because Ross likes us to go in with guys that spread, tackle and run. Armo is an inside mid, a long term replacement for an ageing Lenny.

Steven has good goal sense also but didn't get enough games on the board this year. Geary and the big Mac are the only changes I can see unless we are injured or suspended into replacements.

smasherini
Club Player

I agree totalyy with Gringo.
Geary is one tough honcho who can slot a goal.Unfortunately for Eddy,he may have to make way.
Ben Mac will do well...

Tom_Aus
Club Player

agree with most posts, don't think Armo is a chance really. Would think 2 changes max, with McEvoy in for Gards and Geary next in for either Eddy or Gram if he doesnt come up.
The fact Armo wasn't even an emergency makes me feel he is no chance

DWOODROW
Club Player

Apart from being a bit biased and of course would like to see him come in I'm not getting my hopes up. It's proven Ross Lyon doesn't rate him.

Possible changes would be Big Mcevoy for Gardiner, maybe even a given. Geary Steven or Possibly Armo for Eddie.

Love the way Eddie goes about it but we are talking about winning a Grand Final here. It's one thing to throw your body around like a mad man but at some point you actually have to take possession and do somethig with it. He will be unlucky if he is dropped.
I thought Dal santo and Gram were a bit short in getting through the game. I could be wrong as I was on to my 21st pot but hey didn't look their normal selves.

lefty
Club Player

rexy wrote:Did we really get smashed in the mid field?

Clearances were fairly even, contested ball and un contested ball fairly even, Hayes and Goddard were the best 2 players on the ground, Swan and Pendlebury well held.

I thought our midfield at the stoppages was quite good, it was our outside/running players like Joey Dal and Gram that were down IMO, we got beaten on the wings and flanks, not in the guts.

No ones talking about Miles? is he a smokey.
**** midfield cost us the game.

Got smashed again, whilst we play Gram (inj) and Eddy (no effect).

FFS... pissed off. I said it last week, you could see it.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintbob
SS Life Member

Armitage is just a player, if his manager is any good he'll be at the Suns next year.

kalsaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:would not even consider dropping Eddy, he is a tackling machine.

We may need close to 100 tackles again next week to win it......dunno if we can manage two 100 tackle games in a row though....
What!!

Armitage would be a better option but he wouldn't replace Peake as others suggest. Eddy caused 2 tackles in the GF replay. Not good enough for the big stage.

Lets look at today's game. Lenny got 14 tackles, then Dal was second with 6. McEvoy was next with 5! McEvoy has more than the combined effort of Milne, Eddy, Mini and Dawson halfway through the 3rd quarter. I havent got the balls to look at the final stats as I might break something at home in anger.

The bottom 6-8 players need review for effort, pace, tackling ability and creativity. Armo is probably equal or better than these guys were in the GF but still is off the pace needed for the Saints to go the next step.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
lefty
Club Player

saintbob wrote:Armitage is just a player, if his manager is any good he'll be at the Suns next year.
For the sake of the club, I will hope Armo stays, and Ross plays him the entire year next year. Stop playing farkn Eddy ffs. Stop playing player's who are picked because of their "defensive aspects who dont have any input or effect attacking - ie kicking goals, setting up crucial plays"

I really hated our midfield today. Absolutely cost us the game.

Peake was s***, Ray was s***, Jones was by far the worst and absolutely pointless.

DWOODROW
Club Player

lefty wrote:
saintbob wrote:Armitage is just a player, if his manager is any good he'll be at the Suns next year.
For the sake of the club, I will hope Armo stays, and Ross plays him the entire year next year. Stop playing farkn Eddy ffs. Stop playing player's who are picked because of their "defensive aspects who dont have any input or effect attacking - ie kicking goals, setting up crucial plays"

Peake was s***, Ray was s***, Jones was by far the worst and absolutely pointless.
You forgot Eddy, MCqualter, Gram who was injured and did nothing, Montagna, did he toucht the ball and many more. Dave do what Ball did and go to ateam that will play you

lefty
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
lefty wrote:

You forgot Eddy, MCqualter, Gram who was injured and did nothing, Montagna, did he toucht the ball and many more. Dave do what Ball did and go to ateam that will play you
I don't really blame the forwards, you can't when you can't get the ball to them, however Eddy's efforts really pissed me off (to limit Maxwell?), along with McQualters tackles that again... don't stick.

Gram was s***, Geary should of played. Armo should of played for Eddy.

I'd be disappointed if Armo left, the problem with the GC is they'll just get a heap of players, and if you don't get a regular gig, you'll get moved on too fast, so its a tough call.

DWOODROW
Club Player

lefty wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
lefty wrote:

I don't really blame the forwards, you can't when you can't get the ball to them, however Eddy's efforts really pissed me off (to limit Maxwell?), along with McQualters tackles that again... don't stick.

Gram was s***, Geary should of played. Armo should of played for Eddy.

I'd be disappointed if Armo left, the problem with the GC is they'll just get a heap of players, and if you don't get a regular gig, you'll get moved on too fast, so its a tough call.
Mate could have should have. It all boils down to David Armitage is not a required player at the Saints.

Other players had the opportunity to show why they were selected but even some of the big guns didn't fire. What do you do??

Collingwood played Saints footy better than we did.
Last edited by DWOODROW on Sat 02 Oct 2010 8:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:[

Collingwood played Saints footy better than we did.
That is it ina nuthshell I am afraid.

Pies had 22 team players today.

We had many many passengers. Pis were doing all the little things today..many of our players were not. Pies were always hard at it. many of our players were not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Well if David could string good games together maybe there would be a place for him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
DWOODROW
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Well if David could string good games together maybe there would be a place for him.
Well maybe if he didn't get dropped after a quite game he would be able to.

Every other player seems to get a second chance. If you play below Par one week you get to redeem yourself the next.

Look at Mcqualter. Done nothing all year but still gets a game. :roll: :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SaintDebi
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Well if David could string good games together maybe there would be a place for him.
Hard to string good games together when you only get a game here and there.
I love Armo. He has the potential to be really good. It will be a pity if its not for us, but I could understand why he'd move on and wherever he plays I wish him well.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

[/quote]Dave do what Ball did and go to ateam that will play you[/quote]

Is he?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Well maybe if he didn't get dropped after a quite game he would be able to.

Every other player seems to get a second chance. If you play below Par one week you get to redeem yourself the next.

Look at Mcqualter. Done nothing all year but still gets a game. :roll: :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Agree 100% on McQualter. Without thinking too hard has he played a good game in 2010. Why can't Armitage play his role?

Another opportunity awaits!
lefty
Club Player

I understand its bs that armo doesn't get selected, however, he is still young, unfortunately got injured this year, so it was hard for him to string a few games together, especially when your a top 4 side.

Hopefully today taught Ross a valuable lesson about centre clearances and winning contested ball.

Ross seems to like stability, and not change the side around too much, so its harder to get in that get out. Playing football I can understand why you don't change the side too much, maybe 1-3 players, otherwise its just hard to gel.

That said, Geary, Armo, Stevens, Winmar, Stanley all need to be regular 22 players next year in the midfield and wings. Ross needs to roll the dice.

Peake, Ray, Jones, Eddy, McQualter are just not up to it.
Gram should be worried as well...

If armo stays, he will be the future of our midfield. If he leaves, ill be really upset, but I can understand why :(

sigh... :( however harv's is back as midfield coach, maybe he will see armo play a big role next year.

Kilda
Club Player

Armitage will be going to Gold Coast...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Kilda wrote:Armitage will be going to Gold Coast...
Apparently signed a one year deal was the talk from last night.

Fortius Quo Fidelius