ARMITAGE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Well if David could string good games together maybe there would be a place for him.
Well maybe if he didn't get dropped after a quite game he would be able to.

Every other player seems to get a second chance. If you play below Par one week you get to redeem yourself the next.

Look at Mcqualter. Done nothing all year but still gets a game. :roll: :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Agree 100% on McQualter. Without thinking too hard has he played a good game in 2010. Why can't Armitage play his role?
I've had a gutful of this player. He has been very average to crap in every game this year. As for his tackling, he struggles to put a proper holder on the stronger bodied players and if they are pacy, McQualter has as much chance of getting a hold of them as he has at being in the top 10 of our best players in a game.

Tom_Aus
Club Player

Still scratch my head as to how Mini gets a game every week, so he is in the team for his tackling pressure? Don't think i saw him hold one single tackle in both the grand finals. List clogger IMO and with Peake may have played himself out of a future at the saints after the 2 very poor GFs

undecided
Club Player

lefty wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
lefty wrote:
saintbob wrote:Armitage is just a player, if his manager is any good he'll be at the Suns next year.
For the sake of the club, I will hope Armo stays, and Ross plays him the entire year next year. Stop playing farkn Eddy ffs. Stop playing player's who are picked because of their "defensive aspects who dont have any input or effect attacking - ie kicking goals, setting up crucial plays"

I really hated our midfield today. Absolutely cost us the game.

Peake was s***, Ray was s***, Jones was by far the worst and absolutely pointless.
You forgot Eddy, MCqualter, Gram who was injured and did nothing, Montagna, did he toucht the ball and many more. Dave do what Ball did and go to ateam that will play you
I don't really blame the forwards, you can't when you can't get the ball to them, however Eddy's efforts really pissed me off (to limit Maxwell?), along with McQualters tackles that again... don't stick.

Gram was s***, Geary should of played. Armo should of played for Eddy.

I'd be disappointed if Armo left, the problem with the GC is they'll just get a heap of players, and if you don't get a regular gig, you'll get moved on too fast, so its a tough call.
you do realise eddy broke his arm in the first quarter right? i think that would be the kind of thing that would limit pretty much everything you need to do in AFL

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's time to be honest about Armo - he's been given countless opportunities and has yet seize any of them. Despite his brother's pleas on here, he HAS been given numerous chances even after quiet games and still hasn't come good. Ppl make out Lyon has something against him, I reckon Lyon has something against lazy footballers.

NOt only does Armo have quiet games but he does very little else when he's quiet. His work rate is poor, and often his opponent dominates us. Sorry but this kid is not the answer.

For Armo to succeed anywhere, he needs to get fair dinkum. Eddy, mini, Peake etc will neevr feature in our top 10 best players, but some of the young kids coming through I am hopeful about. Miles, Stanley, Jack Steven, even Tommy Walsh all look prmising I reckon.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:It's time to be honest about Armo - he's been given countless opportunities and has yet seize any of them. Despite his brother's pleas on here, he HAS been given numerous chances even after quiet games and still hasn't come good. Ppl make out Lyon has something against him, I reckon Lyon has something against lazy footballers.

NOt only does Armo have quiet games but he does very little else when he's quiet. His work rate is poor, and often his opponent dominates us. Sorry but this kid is not the answer.

For Armo to succeed anywhere, he needs to get fair dinkum. Eddy, mini, Peake etc will neevr feature in our top 10 best players, but some of the young kids coming through I am hopeful about. Miles, Stanley, Jack Steven, even Tommy Walsh all look prmising I reckon.
I agree with this. Lots of 'armo' this and 'armo' that. Not much substance to it though. I am hoping to be proven wrong next year....

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintjake
Club Player

Moods wrote:It's time to be honest about Armo - he's been given countless opportunities and has yet seize any of them. Despite his brother's pleas on here, he HAS been given numerous chances even after quiet games and still hasn't come good. Ppl make out Lyon has something against him, I reckon Lyon has something against lazy footballers.

What about that game against the Hawks last year when we left out majority of our side.
from memory he got the 3 votes in the brownlow and bally got the 2.
he was dropped the next week.
i think
or if he wasnt dropped he played poorly the next week and was then dropped.
the point people are making is that Eddy and McQ constatly play badly and still get picked.
where as Armo ALTHOUGH HE IS STILL YOUNG may play a good game, a bad game and then BAM he is dropped.
give him a decent run.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:

What about that game against the Hawks last year when we left out majority of our side.
i think
the point people are making is that Eddy and McQ constatly play badly and still get picked.
where as Armo ALTHOUGH HE IS STILL YOUNG may play a good game, a bad game and then BAM he is dropped.
give him a decent run.
As the old saying goes 'you get what you deserve'. Armo has yet to prove anything. One game does not a player make! Did not do much at all prior to being dropped then injured this year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintjake
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:

i think
give him a decent run.
As the old saying goes 'you get what you deserve'. Armo has yet to prove anything. One game does not a player make! Did not do much at all prior to being dropped then injured this year.
AND THE ARGUMENT IS WHAT DO EDDY AND MCQUALTER DO TO HOLD THEIR SPOT OVER GEARY ARMO AND STEVEN FFS

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:
saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:

i think
give him a decent run.
AND THE ARGUMENT IS WHAT DO EDDY AND MCQUALTER DO TO HOLD THEIR SPOT OVER GEARY ARMO AND STEVEN FFS
NO NEED TO YELL FFS! I am not deaf.

McQualter had a stellar year last year and was injured pre season this year and never regained that stellar form. What did Armo do early this year when in the side that was better than McQualter to retain his spot? Short answer, nothing. Armo needs to step it up. Ross has been saying it to him for months if his selections are anything to go by. Armo would not have been our saviour yesterday.

Eddy more than held his own last week and we were applauding him. Broke his arm in the first quarter so back in your box you go and try and find your perspective.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintjake
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:
saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:

i think
give him a decent run.

McQualter had a stellar year last year and was injured pre season this year and never regained that stellar form. What did Armo do early this year when in the side that was better than McQualter to retain his spot? Short answer, nothing. Armo needs to step it up. Ross has been saying it to him for months if his selections are anything to go by. Armo would not have been our saviour yesterday.

Eddy more than held his own last week and we were applauding him. Broke his arm in the first quarter so back in your box you go and try and find your perspective.
not only can Armo go into the middle.
his tackles stick and he can kick goals.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:
saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:
saint75 wrote:
saintjake wrote:

i think
give him a decent run.

not only can Armo go into the middle.
his tackles stick and he can kick goals.
He can, but how often does he? That is the point. If he gets it together, he will be fantastic. However, we all have and are over rating him at this stage of his career. He needs to step up, that is all that is being pointed out. If he does, he will have a long and healthy career at the Saints. If he doesn't either Ross or Armo will make the decision to move on.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

At best Armo has been sporadic - he seems to have the gifts but is not fierce enough at the ball or with tackling yet- maybe he will develop this - I hope so, but to imagine he would have made any difference yesterday is pure folly.
Who kicked those 9 points when we were 1.9? The answer to our failure is there - and the Captain was the first to blow a major opportunity - the coach made the moves and we had the forward thrusts and even on-ball dominance for a time but did not capitalise. We choked when it mattered both last year and this, as sad as it is to admit.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
jays
Club Player

i heard this kid is going to the bombers

saintjake
Club Player

Sean Dempster
2010 games - 14
Disposal -173
Contested Possessions - 57
Tackles - 49
Goals - 1
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 4
Time on Ground - 81%

Robert Eddy
2010 Games - 10
Disposals - 115
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 33
Goals - 3
Behinds - 3
Score Assists 6
Time on Ground - 68%

Andrew McQualter
2010 Games - 25
Disposals - 134
Contested Disposals - 112
Tackles - 104
Goals - 8
Behinds - 7
Score Assists - 27
Time on Ground - 75%

David Armitage
2010 Games - 9
Disposals - 142
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 50
Goals - 4
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 2
Time on Ground - 68%

Jarryn Geary
2010 Games - 19
Disposals - 314
Contested Disposals - 101
Tackles - 62
Goals - 4
Behinds - 3
Score Assists - 11
Time on Ground - 83%

Jack Steven
2010 Games - 8
Disposals - 90
Contested Disposals - 31
Tackles - 31
Goals - 10
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 5
Time on Ground - 73%

Please note that in the 3 Games Armo played in 2009 he averaged 9 tackles and 4 clearances.
so mbogo i dont think his attack on the ball or tackling ability is what is letting him down.

saintjake
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Sean Dempster
2010 games - 14
Disposal -173
Tackles - 49
Goals - 1
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 4
Time on Ground - 81%

Robert Eddy
2010 Games - 10
Disposals - 115
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 33
Goals - 3
Behinds - 3
Score Assists 6
Time on Ground - 68%

Andrew McQualter
2010 Games - 25
Disposals - 134
Tackles - 104
Goals - 8
Behinds - 7
Score Assists - 27
Time on Ground - 75%

David Armitage
2010 Games - 9
Disposals - 142
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 50
Goals - 4
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 2
Time on Ground - 68%

Jarryn Geary
2010 Games - 19
Disposals - 314
Tackles - 62
Goals - 4
Behinds - 3
Score Assists - 11
Time on Ground - 83%

Jack Steven
2010 Games - 8
Disposals - 90
Contested Disposals - 31
Tackles - 31
Goals - 10
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 5
Time on Ground - 73%

Please note that in the 3 Games Armo played in 2009 he averaged 9 tackles and 4 clearances.
so mbogo i dont think his attack on the ball or tackling ability is what is letting him down.
So Armo played less games then Eddy and McQ but had more Disposals.
Kicked more goals then Eddy and Dempster (in less games)
Had more tackles then Eddy and Dempster (in less games)
had 54 tackles less then McQ with 16 less games.
Geary has had the most Disposals of any of them by 141
Steven who has had the least games out of all of them, has kicked the most goals.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

OK saintjake these stats look favourable but some of these players are not aspiring midfielders and play more defensive roles.
As a matter of interest how were Armos effective disposals and clangers etc.?
Would he be good as a defensive forward? I hope he stays BTW and see much upside. I would personally have had him in - or Geary maybe - instead of Mini.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
eppo67
Club Player

If Eddy and Mcqualter get a game next year in front of Armo, Steven or Geary I'm am going to pull the rest of what's left of my hair out FFS!!

The standards that some of you place on Armitage when he plays if you placed those same standards on Eddy and McQualter they wouldn't get a game for f...king Sandringham 2nd's.!!

saintjake
Club Player

mbogo wrote:OK saintjake these stats look favourable but some of these players are not aspiring midfielders and play more defensive roles.
Would he be good as a defensive forward? I hope he stays BTW and see much upside. I would personally have had him in - or Geary maybe - instead of Mini.
disposal eff.
was 72%
surely we cant have a defensive forward who isn't a good tackler though :lol:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
2010 games - 14
Disposal -173
Tackles - 49
Goals - 1
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 4
Time on Ground - 81%

Robert Eddy
2010 Games - 10
Disposals - 115
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 33
Goals - 3
Behinds - 3
Score Assists 6
Time on Ground - 68%

Andrew McQualter
2010 Games - 25
Disposals - 134
Tackles - 104
Goals - 8
Behinds - 7
Score Assists - 27
Time on Ground - 75%

David Armitage
2010 Games - 9
Disposals - 142
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 50
Goals - 4
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 2
Time on Ground - 68%

Jarryn Geary
2010 Games - 19
Disposals - 314
Tackles - 62
Goals - 4
Behinds - 3
Score Assists - 11
Time on Ground - 83%

Jack Steven
2010 Games - 8
Disposals - 90
Contested Disposals - 31
Tackles - 31
Goals - 10
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 5
Time on Ground - 73%

Steven who has had the least games out of all of them, has kicked the most goals.
He plays on the ball. I would hope he'd have more disposals. His role when playing is as a BALL WINNER. He doesn't play a -ive fwd role like mini or a run withy role like Eddy. It's purely to win the clearances and spread after them. Purely and simply he doesn't do enough, and imo doesn't work hard enough when things aren't going his way, or when the ball's not in his vicinity. Eddy has less talent but works his arse off every game he plays.

Personally I would have considered Geary yesterday, but let's be honest - the best Geary game was not the difference. The difference was as a collective we just couldn't pressure the opposition enough. Armo is inconsistent in this regard.

saintjake
Club Player

Moods wrote:
saintjake wrote:
2010 games - 14
Disposal -173
Tackles - 49
Goals - 1
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 4
Time on Ground - 81%

Robert Eddy
2010 Games - 10
Disposals - 115
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 33
Goals - 3
Behinds - 3
Score Assists 6
Time on Ground - 68%

Andrew McQualter
2010 Games - 25
Disposals - 134
Tackles - 104
Goals - 8
Behinds - 7
Score Assists - 27
Time on Ground - 75%

David Armitage
2010 Games - 9
Disposals - 142
Contested Disposals - 56
Tackles - 50
Goals - 4
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 2
Time on Ground - 68%

Jarryn Geary
2010 Games - 19
Disposals - 314
Tackles - 62
Goals - 4
Behinds - 3
Score Assists - 11
Time on Ground - 83%

Jack Steven
2010 Games - 8
Disposals - 90
Contested Disposals - 31
Tackles - 31
Goals - 10
Behinds - 2
Score Assists - 5
Time on Ground - 73%

He plays on the ball. I would hope he'd have more disposals. His role when playing is as a BALL WINNER. He doesn't play a -ive fwd role like mini or a run withy role like Eddy. It's purely to win the clearances and spread after them. Purely and simply he doesn't do enough, and imo doesn't work hard enough when things aren't going his way, or when the ball's not in his vicinity. Eddy has less talent but works his arse off every game he plays.

Personally I would have considered Geary yesterday, but let's be honest - the best Geary game was not the difference. The difference was as a collective we just couldn't pressure the opposition enough. Armo is inconsistent in this regard.
if Armo struggles to pressure the oppostion, then he must be tackling his own team mates.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

At his age and where he plays, Armo has to average at least 20 possessions a game.
Lenny was doing it by the time he was his age, Harvey was probably getting more, Selwood is about the same age and is elite.
Even Jack Steven has only had 1 outstanding game, well 10 minutes really to date.
Armo could be a great in an under player, but how bad does he want it, the oppotunity was presented to him this year and he didn't take it.
The guy he was suppose to replace was also having 20 plus possession games when he was at Armo's age.
If he isn't traded this year, well he has one year to prove himself, or he will be delisted this time next year hoping someone picks him up in the draft.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintjake
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:At his age and where he plays, Armo has to average at least 20 possessions a game.
Lenny was doing it by the time he was his age, Harvey was probably getting more, Selwood is about the same age and is elite.
Even Jack Steven has only had 1 outstanding game, well 10 minutes really to date.
Armo could be a great in an under player, but how bad does he want it, the oppotunity was presented to him this year and he didn't take it.
The guy he was suppose to replace was also having 20 plus possession games when he was at Armo's age.
If he isn't traded this year, well he has one year to prove himself, or he will be delisted this time next year hoping someone picks him up in the draft.
all i want is to see him left in
even in Minis place
for a stretch of 10 games to see if he can do it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:
mbogo wrote:OK saintjake these stats look favourable but some of these players are not aspiring midfielders and play more defensive roles.
disposal eff.
was 72%
surely we cant have a defensive forward who isn't a good tackler though :lol:
Just to put that into context, here are some other disposal efficiencies:
BJ- 78%
Dal- 70%
Gilbert- 70%
Jones- 70%
Gwilt- 84%
Hayes- 71%
McQualter- 74%
Eddy- 73%

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

His stats are actually better than I thought!
Obviously a player we should keep and give more opportunities next year.
He had a game against Adelaide in Rnd 22 with 21 possies - which is ok - but previous 4 games only between 10 and 15 possies. Needs to be better than that - you would have to admit.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote: all i want is to see him left in
even in Minis place
for a stretch of 10 games to see if he can do it.
This is where the debate lies. CAN he do it? Only been average for mine. I would love him to pick it up and run with it, but he hasn't as of yet. Hope he makes a real go of it next year. He will be one that I watch closely.

Fortius Quo Fidelius