Big calls needed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tom_Aus
Club Player

Big calls needed

I know it is still raw after the GF loss, however i believe if we are to keep our so called premiership window open, a few big calls need to be made.
We have a few players who have performed really poorly in the past 2 or 3 GF's and even though a few of these guys are new at the club, the question has to be asked, if you cannot perform on the big stage then you are not required at the club. It may sound like a big call to delist some players after 2 bad GF's but if we are fair dinkum about having a crack at it next year, these players from saturday must go IMO.
Delist: Peake, McQualter, Eddy
Trade: Gram, Koschitzke
Retire: Baker, Gardiner

Required: Ready made ruckman, inside midfielder, midfielder with pace (and skill!!!)

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

You couldn't add these comments to the 5-10 other threads going around?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to read where Collingwood intend to get rid of up to 12 players off their lists. If that is the case, how many should we get rid of? Unless there is a dramatic wake-up all, we will probably only get rid of half that many.
Last edited by borderbarry on Mon 04 Oct 2010 10:21am, edited 1 time in total.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Interesting to read where Collingwood intend to get rid of up to 12 players off their lists. If that is the case, how many should we get rid of?

Another opportunity awaits!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gardi is going again.........

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big calls needed

Tom_Aus wrote:I know it is still raw after the GF loss, however i believe if we are to keep our so called premiership window open, a few big calls need to be made.
We have a few players who have performed really poorly in the past 2 or 3 GF's and even though a few of these guys are new at the club, the question has to be asked, if you cannot perform on the big stage then you are not required at the club. It may sound like a big call to delist some players after 2 bad GF's but if we are fair dinkum about having a crack at it next year, these players from saturday must go IMO.

Required: Ready made ruckman, inside midfielder, midfielder with pace (and skill!!!)
it wont happen. but i like your ideas. Eddy would be a really good "hard at it" player in the VFL. Would be much respected in the EFL. Probably even make a difference at SANFL or WAFL level. But he is not an AFL footballer. His pressure stats were very low (which is supposedly his strong point) and his disposal ball skills and decision making are deplorable.

And to those who say he a "gap filler" please tell me the name of the geelong or pies players who play AFL football every week as "gap fillers". Oh sorry they dont exist cos "gap filling" is not a position on the ground and is, in fact, the figment of Ross Lyons wonderful imagination.

And Kosi - ? Geez hed make a difference at Old Xavs. Could take one those big pack marks and kick a ton on the way to an ammos A section flag!

Grant Tomas has been right all along on Kosi. Hes a ruck or nothing. Too immobile for todays fwd line. U cant let teams run it out and attack from half back with ease.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Another forward would be handy too.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
degruch
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Interesting to read where Collingwood intend to get rid of up to 12 players off their lists. If that is the case, how many should we get rid of? Unless there is a dramatic wake-up all, we will probably only get rid of half that many.
They've played all their kids, they have a ton of dead woods to trim.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Interesting to read where Collingwood intend to get rid of up to 12 players off their lists. If that is the case, how many should we get rid of? Unless there is a dramatic wake-up all, we will probably only get rid of half that many.
The Pies do have a full VFL side too (44)… plus plenty of older players that couldn't get into the team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The 12 includes their rookies.

However outside of their 22 they now havea bulge of players who are not going to get better and are past it.. Davis, Medhurst, Fraser, Presti, etc..

Their kids, or at least the ones that will make it, are already in their 22.

So they can have a massive clean-out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Big calls needed

Tom_Aus wrote:I know it is still raw after the GF loss, however i believe if we are to keep our so called premiership window open, a few big calls need to be made.

Would this thread even exist if Hayes kicked had of bounced the other way last week?

NO

For god sake people these players were in our team for a reason, and you want to get rid of a third of our GF team. These players helped get us there. For gods sake. Suck it up people!!!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bergsone
SS Life Member

How much s left in Milne,Blake,even Lenny,then add under achievers like Pake,Mini,Eddy,Gram,Dempster,Kosi,starts leaving us a bit thin

BJ
Roo
NDS
Fisher A Graders

Monty,Jones,Gilbert,Ray,Schneider,not convinced yet

Rucks either Gardiner or a Cox etc if available,let kosi ben fight for second spot

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but we didn't win and that's the point

Zippy
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:May I remind the forum that these players were legends and hero's till just last week. Won nearly every game for a few years.
Our sports car simply needs a minor service. No need for an engine overhaul.
imho.
Couldn't agree more. Even with no change to the 22 we'd still have a fighting chance at the flag in '11. With some minor tweaks (eg, gilbert to half-forward, Jack Steven, etc), we're a good contender.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Yeah, but we didn't win and that's the point
The point? Throw out a half-Premiership side? You'd have to be nuts. Would like to see some kids getting a run next year, because they have had the time put in to them and should be ready, but the majority of this team should stay intact.

groupie1
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:May I remind the forum that these players were legends and hero's till just last week. Won nearly every game for a few years.
Our sports car simply needs a minor service. No need for an engine overhaul.
imho.
It could do with a decent trim and a fully loaded interior, though, mate. The body's good, runs great, but needs a bit of polish

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pies are in the same position we were last year. To keep our list of emerging players they need to trim the old guys on big dollars playing vfl.

They are handy back up but not on big bucks.

Fraser would be on good cash so would guys like J.Anthony, the blonde smiley little tool who's name I already forget.

They need to keep the new guys.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Pies are in the same position we were last year. To keep our list of emerging players they need to trim the old guys on big dollars playing vfl.

Fraser would be on good cash so would guys like J.Anthony, the blonde smiley little tool who's name I already forget.

Word is Medhurst, Lockyer and L Brown are to annoucne their retirements.

saintkid
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
gringo wrote:Pies are in the same position we were last year. To keep our list of emerging players they need to trim the old guys on big dollars playing vfl.

The first two yes but not Leigh Brown.

derby Street
Club Player

SainterK wrote:

Official - Medhurst & Lockyer retired. No mention of Brown. (Not much value in that lot anyhow !)

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Official - Medhurst & Lockyer retired. No mention of Brown. (Not much value in that lot anyhow !)
Not sure of the similarities with us last year?
They have a flag and a young team - zero similarities.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The title of the thread should be changed to "Big Balls needed"

Another opportunity awaits!
lennylegend

Rooey should be asked to stand down as captain for BJ. Rooey has to just concentrate on winning us GF I feel BJ has become a better leader than Rooey, (this is a BIG CALL POST)

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

lennylegend wrote:Rooey should be asked to stand down as captain for BJ. Rooey has to just concentrate on winning us GF I feel BJ has become a better leader than Rooey, (this is a BIG CALL POST)
i've heard a few people mention this to me. However i feel Roo has stood up when counted in previous finals. I think he has a big GF in him