Player Appearance at Family Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually think that fronting up to the family day last year was awful. I think making an appearance is important, but it was a bit like watching someone traumatised speaking at a funeral. It was uncomfortable and awkward.

saintnick12
Club Player

Just saw it on the news.

On a side note, What were BJ and Roo thinking with those sun glasses :wink:
Maybe i'm not up with current fashions but they looked pretty feminine to me.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Just saw it on the news.

Didn't see BJ's but Roo definitely borrowed his from his gf. :lol:

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Not only are they a better football club, but their players also have better taste in eye wear.

Now THAT really hurts. :o

saintnick12
Club Player

Beej wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Just saw it on the news.

Didn't see BJ's but Roo definitely borrowed his from his gf. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

My husband thinks BJ might have borrowed his from Elvis in his Las Vagas days.

As I said, maybe we are not up with current trends in sunnies....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The hundreds of kids there would have appreciated some time with the players, that's what grows a club & keeps them coming back through the lean times.

We're all shattered but an hour to sign some stuff for the kids would have been nice, if only to see the smiles on the kids faces.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

oneteam wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I'm sure Greg Westeway is a nice bloke but he is the exact opposite to loud mouthed Eddie Everywhere. The guy needs to get out more often. We need a pres with more presence.
and that will achieve what ?

another loud mouth kennett or Eddie?

Membership - massive improvement
On field - 4th , 2nd , 2nd?
funding to footy dept- Ross said last night thanks to the board and exec for giving footy everything they ask for.

I want to see the coach, captain and ceo. Not the president.
I agree to a point but I do want to hear from the President. I have hardly heard a whimper froim him all season. Where was he this week? Maybe he doesn't like speaking to the media. It's part of his role which he hasn't seemed to particularly embrace.

He made some dubious remarks after last weeks GF.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: He made some dubious remarks after last weeks GF.
The more we hear from Westaway, explains why it's probably best we hear less from him!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Our last Prez was a loud mouth who loved getting his mug in the paper.

That is the last thing we need.

I think that Westaway is solid when it comes to the important things like the books etc....

There is a chance that the "Football First" ticket may just have forgotten why it is actually in power.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I was amazed at how Goddard could string together all of those cliches in one speech!

The day could've been used as a send-off/ Farewell to Moorabbin aswell, but that fact wasn't even mentioned.

Enjoyed having a kick with the kids on the our old sacred site though, even if the day was really, more or less, another membership drive.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Im kind of changing my tune a little as i read how accessible players were at the official function the night before. Maybe a bit of mingling wouldnt have gone astray seeing as they were happy to chat with the better heeled fans.....if it was just the non playing members of the squad who mingled however i retract that
As for Moorabbin, i think its quite possible events like today and intraclub will still happen there..at least occassionally, maybe mixed up with Frankston.
Anyone who has taken a peek at belvedere park will know that its not designed to cater for those sort if crowds. No parking bar staff and players and no public transport within cooee
Reckon the ol girl will host a few things yet

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Beej wrote:Not only are they a better football club, but their players also have better taste in eye wear.

I so wanted to yell whn Roo was speaking ,,,

"HEY NICK ,, GIVE YOUR GIRLFRIEND BACK HER SUNNIES"

but i thought I might get lynched

What will be next from this club ?
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:I was amazed at how Goddard could string together all of those cliches in one speech!

The day could've been used as a send-off/ Farewell to Moorabbin aswell, but that fact wasn't even mentioned.

Enjoyed having a kick with the kids on the our old sacred site though, even if the day was really, more or less, another membership drive.
We'll still train there sometimes so it's not really a farewell.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

feb family day??

whats that like?

might think about a trip...depending on what its like
i mean, chance of a photo of lenny and the misses??
that type of family day photos and handshakes and chats etc???

or is ita ten min whizz em out say hi and piss off deal again???

groupie1
Club Player

philip wrote:it was bloody pathetic.

i went with my little girl and we are proud of their effort in the first game and in yesterday's but to stay for so little is disrespectful on the back of GF week and putting training on at 10.30am Monday morning when a lot of people can't get to it.

this is what i expect;
- for the players to understand we are hurting as much as they are even though we werent players
- for the players to give us more than 10 mins of their time on Sunday
- and for the players to mingle with the crowd who turned up to pay them the ultimate respect and show our support for them and the club the morning after they were pantsed!

And quite frankly I don't think that is too much to ask!

philip
Philip

It's ridiculous. It is too much to ask. They're footballers. Their job is to play football, not mill around with 3 year olds. It's not pathetic. This reminds me of people complaining at the best and fairest last year the announcer requested people don't approach the players. It is entirely fair and reasonable that the players are afforded privacy just like you and me, and not expected to sign every little autograph book or football anyone shoves in their face.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:
Beej wrote:Not only are they a better football club, but their players also have better taste in eye wear.

I so wanted to yell whn Roo was speaking ,,,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 5933427638

8-)

Worst goes to Steven, IMO :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:so wanted to yell whn Roo was speaking ,,,

It might have lightened the mood- like the young person who yelled we love you.( Ross)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
philip
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:

i went with my little girl and we are proud of their effort in the first game and in yesterday's but to stay for so little is disrespectful on the back of GF week and putting training on at 10.30am Monday morning when a lot of people can't get to it.

this is what i expect;
- for the players to understand we are hurting as much as they are even though we werent players
- and for the players to mingle with the crowd who turned up to pay them the ultimate respect and show our support for them and the club the morning after they were pantsed!

philip
Philip

It's ridiculous. It is too much to ask. They're footballers. Their job is to play football, not mill around with 3 year olds. It's not pathetic. This reminds me of people complaining at the best and fairest last year the announcer requested people don't approach the players. It is entirely fair and reasonable that the players are afforded privacy just like you and me, and not expected to sign every little autograph book or football anyone shoves in their face.
Depends on your view I guess. On that we will agree to disagree. I'm not asking for them to spend 5 hours with us, half an hour milling around would have sufficed. But I do not retreat from my position that 10 minutes was dissapointing and insulting for those that turned up. And for the record I was not looking for autographs, I took no pens and was not interested but if others were than good luck to them. I was looking for some mutual understanding. Oh well. Like our football I can always hope for next year.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
philip
Club Player

oneteam wrote:

this is what i expect;

philip
You think as a selfish person.

and that's why you will never understand.
I'm happy for you to pot me on why, but your post is ridiculous. I am not just thinking about myself, which is the very definition of selfish but for all the others that also turned up including the family that made the trip from Warnambool.

Each to their own, but ultimately, the club gave a very poor account for itself on Sunday.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
avid
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
krabb wrote: Also not a whimper from our Club about having to wear the clash jumper for 2 grand finals in 2 weeks either....
Actually Krabb, I went to the 2008 AGM and mentioned this issue to the board as to why we bend over when Collingwood and Essendon don't?

Furthermore I told Archie Fraser that he promised me in writing that the members would get a say and a vote on the next clash jumper which did NOT happen!

I asked WHY our clash jumper had a white panel as wide as the Grand Canyon?

I then pointed out that OUR clash jumper should be as close to OUR HOME JUMPER as possible, in the event that we play Collingwood in a Grand Final and are forced to wear a clash jumper!

Greg Westaway responded with, we will be wearing OUR HOME JUMPER in a GRAND FINAL! :roll:

I suggested that OUR Clash jumper should be our HOME JUMPER with a white back, at least it's as close to OUR HOME JUMPER as possible!

WHY the AFL didn't change the jumpers for the replay is a disgrace, if for no other reason than to differentiate between the two games!

The wide white strip looks like a white flag signifying surrender!
And the over white socks

insipid looking.....

Just adds to the overall pain.....

although small in relation to winning and losing

but principal.
What's this discussion doing in this thread??
It's an issue that I personaly don't want to see lost here. I agree 100% with every point raised above, and want it sent directly to the club.
We are close to getting it right. But it's wrong, as it stands, and I, for one, want the club to address it properly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:
oneteam wrote:

this is what i expect;

philip
You think as a selfish person.

and that's why you will never understand.
I'm happy for you to pot me on why, but your post is ridiculous. I am not just thinking about myself, which is the very definition of selfish but for all the others that also turned up including the family that made the trip from Warnambool.

Each to their own, but ultimately, the club gave a very poor account for itself on Sunday.

philip
I am pretty sure players walking around still pissed and stinking of grog doesnt give a good impression. The guys did what they had to do and then get them out of there to commiserate with family and friends.

And yes i know the pies players would have been the same but they were the winners. They can be as they please. Probably not a great look for the losers so a short stay is best.