Trade week talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ThePunter
Club Player

Please please let us get Alwyn Davey.

FQF
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:Please please let us get Alwyn Davey.
In terms of footy talent, he is the only player with the chance of moving who is better than Lovett.

Lovett is a brilliant footballer, and if he played, the side would have been much much improved. But Davey is just as good, if not better.

The only other player on the table who might rival them is Sherman, but even then... Davey is lightning quick.

I'd like to see Miles in the team as well.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:
In terms of footy talent, he is the only player with the chance of moving who is better than Lovett.

Lovett is a brilliant footballer, and if he played, the side would have been much much improved. But Davey is just as good, if not better.

The only other player on the table who might rival them is Sherman, but even then... Davey is lightning quick.

I'd much rather Davey than Winderlich who has been linked to us.

Armo seems to be the bait... The Bombers desperately need someone inside to help Watson out but then again we need someone to help & eventually replace Lenny.

We really are at a crossroads people... I think someone with a reasonable reputation may be put on the block.

FQF
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:
FQF wrote:

Armo seems to be the bait... The Bombers desperately need someone inside to help Watson out but then again we need someone to help & eventually replace Lenny.

We really are at a crossroads people... I think someone with a reasonable reputation may be put on the block.
Think about what the Bombers would have given up for Ball...

SaintTom
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
FQF wrote:

Where abouts has Winderlich been linked to us? If we could get Davey OR Winderlich OR Houli for Armo, we should do it. But I doubt they'd give up Winderlich?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
FQF wrote:

Where abouts has Winderlich been linked to us? If we could get Davey OR Winderlich OR Houli for Armo, we should do it. But I doubt they'd give up Winderlich?
Winderlich is a good player when fit... his long history of a bad back & the related hammys should be enough to scare anyone off.

I like Houli but not for Armo... Armo POTENTIALLY gives us more than Houli does IMO.

Davey gives us almost everything we need.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Alwyn Davey is an awful footballer...

Runs fast into traffic.... Cant dispose.... And doesnt get enough of it.

I hope we dont get him.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:

I hope we dont get him.
Same, can't see why people seem to be all over him. I would prefer Sherman.

Unless people are getting mixed up with Alwyn's brother Aaron, who is a genuine star.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Armo signed a New 1 year deal recently (was offered 2). To me that suggests that he wants to get his body right and have a real crack in 2011 !!
Contracts don't always mean a lot come trade time. :wink:

Also didn't like his 'I will take 1 year and see how many opportunities I get' line that he threw out at the GF Post Match Function. Why not take the 2 if he wants to have a real crack?
I would have thought that would have been standard....

If he has a good year and stays... gets a decent contract.

If he has a good year and wants to go.... gets a decent contract.

If he has a bad year... Can go elsewhere but may stuggle to find a team.

The two year contract offered would have been peanuts. I would have thought he's decision would be standard managament.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like there's a few opportunities around this year. Interesting to see what the price tags are. Guys I'd be interested in:

Everitt: The guy we were after a year ago still couldn't crack the dogs. I can't quite work out why, watching him this year, I liked him a lot and thought he'd fit our structure really well.

Winderlich: I'd be hesitant here... One week he's a star, the next week he's nothing. While not over the hill, he's not young and with the number of players we have of that age, I'd worry he'd become a clogger.

Tambling: Suspect the price is going to make the risk unnacceptable. The tigers are likely hoping someone like the Saints or Cats will gamble a devalued 1st, I'd be appalled at paying more than a 2nd.

Thursfield: Maybe I'm only interested because I remember the job he was doing on Roo when he hurt himself. I wonder what the price is.

Sherman: What's the price? I suspect he's a guy living in the shadow of his early showings, and inability to repeat. Quick, nose for goals, can play a tag... sounds like a Lyon player to me. He'd be my pick of the bunch.

As an aside, I wonder if people in this thread think Alwyn Davey is younger than he actually is... not that he's ancient (26), but he was a mature age pick before mature age picks were cool. He's a known quantity, great chase player, going to give you a few goals, but might well struggle in any role but Milne's and his chase doesn't add enough to cover the goals lost IMO. Not physically strong enough to cover Mini's role.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Bardon Saint
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Looks like there's a few opportunities around this year. Interesting to see what the price tags are. Guys I'd be interested in:

Everitt: The guy we were after a year ago still couldn't crack the dogs. I can't quite work out why, watching him this year, I liked him a lot and thought he'd fit our structure really well.

Winderlich: I'd be hesitant here... One week he's a star, the next week he's nothing. While not over the hill, he's not young and with the number of players we have of that age, I'd worry he'd become a clogger.

Tambling: Suspect the price is going to make the risk unnacceptable. The tigers are likely hoping someone like the Saints or Cats will gamble a devalued 1st, I'd be appalled at paying more than a 2nd.

Thursfield: Maybe I'm only interested because I remember the job he was doing on Roo when he hurt himself. I wonder what the price is.

Sherman: What's the price? I suspect he's a guy living in the shadow of his early showings, and inability to repeat. Quick, nose for goals, can play a tag... sounds like a Lyon player to me. He'd be my pick of the bunch.

As an aside, I wonder if people in this thread think Alwyn Davey is younger than he actually is... not that he's ancient (26), but he was a mature age pick before mature age picks were cool. He's a known quantity, great chase player, going to give you a few goals, but might well struggle in any role but Milne's and his chase doesn't add enough to cover the goals lost IMO. Not physically strong enough to cover Mini's role.
Sherman has nominated the dogs which would reduce our chances, Source: HSun

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Couple of players have nominated the dogs now, they still have to get the deals done, maybe paves a way for Saints to get involved and still get Everitt?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade week talk

jonesy wrote:So it's underway.

Heard them talking on the footy heads hour last night on SEN about talk of Armo to Essendon for Houli or Winderlich.

I'd do the deal on both,doubt we'd get Winderlich though
Why not offer Essendon a guy called Lovett instead.

After all James Hird owes us for our pick 16 of last year..

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Couple of players have nominated the dogs now, they still have to get the deals done, maybe paves a way for Saints to get involved and still get Everitt?
Do we want Everitt? Not so sure. I am still keen on Mitch Clark. Word is he won't leave Brisbane, but if we could get him, would be after him in a heartbeat.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
goods
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

I hope we dont get him.
Your joking right???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will have a guess and if we do get a person in a trade that no one will have guessed beforehand who it is so in other words who people want are more likely not to be coming to us.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saint75 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Couple of players have nominated the dogs now, they still have to get the deals done, maybe paves a way for Saints to get involved and still get Everitt?
Do we want Everitt? Not so sure. I am still keen on Mitch Clark. Word is he won't leave Brisbane, but if we could get him, would be after him in a heartbeat.
What would you offer?

goods
Club Player

Anyone that thinks Alwyn Davey is not a good footballer need to get their head checked. HE creates turnovers, he applies pressure on the ball carrier he is super quick he is everything we need up forward

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Kosi to GC for a high pick for us to on-trade?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Kosi to GC for a high pick for us to on-trade?
Just signed a 3 year deal. Means another club would have to be willing to take on his contract. I know Kosi took a pay cut, but how much of one would be interesting.

Don't think he is going anywhere.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
goods
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I hope we dont get him.
Same, can't see why people seem to be all over him. I would prefer Sherman.

Unless people are getting mixed up with Alwyn's brother Aaron, who is a genuine star.
Froggy is his name and his is a ripper of a player, I watch every dons match as my best mate is their supporter and he is a little star.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Alwyn Davey makes melting butter look tough.

The guy is a squib.

Not suited to Saints Footy (contested possessions, hard ball gets etc.)

We should be looking at guys who will complement a fairly successful game plan, not turning our back on a system that has got us to multiple top 4 finishes and grand finals.

Saint4Eva
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Alwyn Davey makes melting butter look tough.

The guy is a squib.

We should be looking at guys who will complement a fairly successful game plan, not turning our back on a system that has got us to multiple top 4 finishes and grand finals.
Mate we need pace! How many fast and tough players are up for trade????

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

I hope we dont get him.
Was just going to post this.

He's terrible.

What people are seduced by is his defensive work, which is outstanding.

Offensively though, he is not a patch on his brother.

A lot of people I reckon would be surprised just how poor his skill level is.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Saint4Eva wrote:
St Chris wrote:Alwyn Davey makes melting butter look tough.

The guy is a squib.

Mate we need pace! How many fast and tough players are up for trade????
I totally agree. But there has to be a better way, like could we use Miles as a defensive forward, or something like that. Alwyn Davey goes against everything RL has instilled into this group.