Big calls needed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

lennylegend wrote:Rooey should be asked to stand down as captain for BJ. Rooey has to just concentrate on winning us GF I feel BJ has become a better leader than Rooey, (this is a BIG CALL POST)
Not a big call at all, has already been floated.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
lennylegend wrote:Rooey should be asked to stand down as captain for BJ. Rooey has to just concentrate on winning us GF I feel BJ has become a better leader than Rooey, (this is a BIG CALL POST)
By whom? People on here. It is just a ridiculous call.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
By whom? People on here. It is just a ridiculous call.
You been asleep plugger?

Surprised you're not up to scratch on what's been posted in the last 48 hours. It is your full time job after all.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Another forward would be handy too.
wouldn't it just - been four years now wondering when we'd get a decent target that can mark AND kick. lost 2 gfs now where one would've been handy.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:gardi is going again.........
Hard to see how we'd fit Gardi, McEvoy and Kosi into one team, with only 3 and one "sub" on the bench from next year. Very hard indeed.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Tom_Sainter wrote:
i've heard a few people mention this to me. However i feel Roo has stood up when counted in previous finals. I think he has a big GF in him
It's not just all about that and he can still have a big GF and inspire the team without being "captain".
I agree that it is time for big calls/big balls, as this team needs to be shocked back to life, if Saturday's game is any indication.
Sure we were one good bounce away from winning the flag, two weeks ago, but we've slipped a hell of a long way since then.
They will now surely have one massive mental hurdle to overcome, as if winning a premiership hasn't proven to be difficult enough.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bendigo bob
Club Player

Should consider offering Kosi to bulldogs for everitt. would be a win/win for both clubs.

Then we should shuffle the team around

B: Miles Dawson Blake
HB: Smith Fisher Gwilt
C: Montagna Hayes Dal Santo
HF: Gilbert Stanley Everitt
F: Schneider Roo Steven

R: Gardner BJ Armitage

I\C: Mcevoy Gram ??(Trade/draft)

Sub: McQualter

This would give us an injection of pace and youth and skill

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone else concerned that the one game Gardnier needed to be fit for.... He did a hamstring...

He was always going to be in the top five important players going into the finals... Especially against Jolley.

Now I havnt seen the replay... But i suspect the differential between jolley and mcevoy was the massive, and the most influential on the ground.

Just made their midfield click... and our inop.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Is anyone else concerned that the one game Gardnier needed to be fit for.... He did a hamstring...

He was always going to be in the top five important players going into the finals... Especially against Jolley.

Now I havnt seen the replay... But i suspect the differential between jolley and mcevoy was the massive, and the most influential on the ground.

Just made their midfield click... and our inop.
Yep, very much so....was crucial to our chances.

Our midfield had no read at all when it came to the tap work at the centre, Jolly dominated that, and his mids cleared it more often than not.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Big calls needed

Tom_Aus wrote:I know it is still raw after the GF loss, however i believe if we are to keep our so called premiership window open, a few big calls need to be made.
We have a few players who have performed really poorly in the past 2 or 3 GF's and even though a few of these guys are new at the club, the question has to be asked, if you cannot perform on the big stage then you are not required at the club. It may sound like a big call to delist some players after 2 bad GF's but if we are fair dinkum about having a crack at it next year, these players from saturday must go IMO.
Delist: Peake, McQualter, Eddy
Trade: Gram, Koschitzke
Retire: Baker, Gardiner

Required: Ready made ruckman, inside midfielder, midfielder with pace (and skill!!!)
The closest thing to a "big" call in this post is the idea of trading Gram... and I'd still call it more "reactionary" than "big" (meaning brave, bold etc etc.) I'd also expect Gram to turn a trade down, and such a move to mess with the groups chemistry.

That's okay, because big calls really aren't needed. We needed big calls mid 2008. We made big calls mid 2008 (dropping Dal and Milne). They worked. Right now we need to turn the advantage back our way in our games against the Pies.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Re: Big calls needed

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Tom_Aus wrote:I know it is still raw after the GF loss, however i believe if we are to keep our so called premiership window open, a few big calls need to be made.
We have a few players who have performed really poorly in the past 2 or 3 GF's and even though a few of these guys are new at the club, the question has to be asked, if you cannot perform on the big stage then you are not required at the club. It may sound like a big call to delist some players after 2 bad GF's but if we are fair dinkum about having a crack at it next year, these players from saturday must go IMO.
Delist: Peake, McQualter, Eddy
Trade: Gram, Koschitzke
Retire: Baker, Gardiner

Required: Ready made ruckman, inside midfielder, midfielder with pace (and skill!!!)
The closest thing to a "big" call in this post is the idea of trading Gram... and I'd still call it more "reactionary" than "big" (meaning brave, bold etc etc.) I'd also expect Gram to turn a trade down, and such a move to mess with the groups chemistry.

That's okay, because big calls really aren't needed. We needed big calls mid 2008. We made big calls mid 2008 (dropping Dal and Milne). They worked. Right now we need to turn the advantage back our way in our games against the Pies.
So you don't think de-listing 3 players who played in the GF a big call?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

what about Adam Crappison??

He is about as useful as tits on a bull, and when you consider Stanley's likely development next year, do we need a list clogger like Patto?

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:what about Adam Crappison??

He is about as useful as tits on a bull, and when you consider Stanley's likely development next year, do we need a list clogger like Patto?
Agreed, reminds me of that hack Charlie Gardiner we picked up with Kingy from geelong, when will they realise if they are shite with a shite club they will be rubbish for us as well..

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:what about Adam Crappison??

Agreed, reminds me of that hack Charlie Gardiner we picked up with Kingy from geelong, when will they realise if they are shite with a shite club they will be rubbish for us as well..
You mean like David Rodan?
Delisted by Richmond, picked up by PA - has never produced anything for them.

So how do we get the 'good ones' (as distinct from the shyte ones) to come to us for nothing?
Like James Clement?