Mcqualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If you want to bring in a young player or two in the 22......some one or someones have to be squeezed out.

You can't have you cake, and eat it too.

Steven, Miles, A Smith, Armo and Stanley are all strong chances.

Heyne, Simpkin and Lynch ar maybes as well...

......and Geary too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mc qualter is worth a try as a replacement for Bakes in the long term, you can't complain about his commitment to the contest just doesn't have the ability to score regularly enough. Small back role could be worth a try and if Baker plays you could even give him a switch into the forward line. He would probably do well up there, at least the umpires might leave him alone if he wasn't a defender.

kaos theory
Club Player

gringo wrote:Mc qualter is worth a try as a replacement for Bakes in the long term, you can't complain about his commitment to the contest just doesn't have the ability to score regularly enough. Small back role could be worth a try and if Baker plays you could even give him a switch into the forward line. He would probably do well up there, at least the umpires might leave him alone if he wasn't a defender.
Mini does not have the pace or skill of baker.

He needs to make way for better players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Mini is a good player.

he is doing exactly what was demanded off him.

sacrifice his own game to be a defensive midfielder.

now bitching because he is exactly what the coach demanded off him is a bit unfair >< :/
Well im certainly in no mood to be bagging any players. And Mini does play the (extrmely negating) role given to him to a high standard. What I will question is the importance of that role. In other words mini is good at that role, but has that role become semi-redundant? I think the coaching staff need to adapt the role a bit. And see if he can adapt a little. Footy players re-invent themselves to suit changing patterns and he might have the talent to do that. Some players are only good at one thing and cant adapt. So 2011 will be big year for him one way or another. Can he re-jig his game and hurt more as an attacker? I dont know the answer. Im open minded on it.

What I do know is we cant have the team full with negating players that cant hurt the opposition when we have the ball. You must be able to play both ways these days and we have too many one-way players.

We are kind of the opposite of the Bombers and the Blues. They have too many one way players that are good when they have the ball but terrible when they dont.

onlooker
Club Player

Well im certainly in no mood to be bagging any players. And Mini does play the (extrmely negating) role given to him to a high standard. What I will question is the importance of that role. In other words mini is good at that role, but has that role become semi-redundant? I think the coaching staff need to adapt the role a bit. And see if he can adapt a little. Footy players re-invent themselves to suit changing patterns and he might have the talent to do that. Some players are only good at one thing and cant adapt. So 2011 will be big year for him one way or another. Can he re-jig his game and hurt more as an attacker? I dont know the answer. Im open minded on it.

What I do know is we cant have the team full with negating players that cant hurt the opposition when we have the ball. You must be able to play both ways these days and we have too many one-way players

We are kind of the opposite of the Bombers and the Blues. They have too many one way players that are good when they have the ball but terrible when they dont.[/quote]

I agree. The days of having a player as a defensive forward without contributing to the scoreboard are gone.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

A 74 kg player needs to be very quick , skillful and a line breaker... not a dour tagger/negator, you need strength for that role and he's really not suited to it - although you can't deny his courage.

groupie1
Club Player

onlooker wrote:Well im certainly in no mood to be bagging any players. And Mini does play the (extrmely negating) role given to him to a high standard. What I will question is the importance of that role. In other words mini is good at that role, but has that role become semi-redundant? I think the coaching staff need to adapt the role a bit. And see if he can adapt a little. Footy players re-invent themselves to suit changing patterns and he might have the talent to do that. Some players are only good at one thing and cant adapt. So 2011 will be big year for him one way or another. Can he re-jig his game and hurt more as an attacker? I dont know the answer. Im open minded on it.

What I do know is we cant have the team full with negating players that cant hurt the opposition when we have the ball. You must be able to play both ways these days and we have too many one-way players

We are kind of the opposite of the Bombers and the Blues. They have too many one way players that are good when they have the ball but terrible when they dont.
I agree. The days of having a player as a defensive forward without contributing to the scoreboard are gone.[/quote]

The point has gone missing here. We all saw how easy Collingwood got it out of our forward 50; we all saw Reiwoldt squeezed in between numerous defenders. You all argue about Mini not doing the offensive stuff. Fact is he's not even doing the defensive job he's supposed to be doing. We need to open our eyes and watch the game and not just crap on about Herald-Sun opinions. Watch the game!
Mini is a poor player who had one good year.

So there's 2 issues - yes, agreed, he doesn't hurt 'em going the other way, but i disagree with the premise that he performs a role. he doesn't perform that role very well at all.

f*** Mini, f*** Peake, f*** Eddy, f*** structure, f*** team roles... we need to get talent on the park, Full f****** stop.

Anyone see the statistician's work published this year; verifies what many of us have known since day one - there are 2 - and only 2 - statistics that consistently matter in Aussie Rules: disposal efficiency and goal-kicking efficiency. if you can use the ball well more often than the opposition and you can also do the same in front of goal then you win. if not, you lose. TALENT ON THE PARK, ladies and gentlemen. only thing that matters.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
onlooker wrote:Well im certainly in no mood to be bagging any players. And Mini does play the (extrmely negating) role given to him to a high standard. What I will question is the importance of that role. In other words mini is good at that role, but has that role become semi-redundant? I think the coaching staff need to adapt the role a bit. And see if he can adapt a little. Footy players re-invent themselves to suit changing patterns and he might have the talent to do that. Some players are only good at one thing and cant adapt. So 2011 will be big year for him one way or another. Can he re-jig his game and hurt more as an attacker? I dont know the answer. Im open minded on it.

I agree. The days of having a player as a defensive forward without contributing to the scoreboard are gone.
The point has gone missing here. We all saw how easy Collingwood got it out of our forward 50; we all saw Reiwoldt squeezed in between numerous defenders. You all argue about Mini not doing the offensive stuff. Fact is he's not even doing the defensive job he's supposed to be doing. We need to open our eyes and watch the game and not just crap on about Herald-Sun opinions. Watch the game!
Mini is a poor player who had one good year.

So there's 2 issues - yes, agreed, he doesn't hurt 'em going the other way, but i disagree with the premise that he performs a role. he doesn't perform that role very well at all.

f*** Mini, f*** Peake, f*** Eddy, f*** structure, f*** team roles... we need to get talent on the park, Full f****** stop.

Anyone see the statistician's work published this year; verifies what many of us have known since day one - there are 2 - and only 2 - statistics that consistently matter in Aussie Rules: disposal efficiency and goal-kicking efficiency. if you can use the ball well more often than the opposition and you can also do the same in front of goal then you win. if not, you lose. TALENT ON THE PARK, ladies and gentlemen. only thing that matters.
[/quote]

Hey presto abracadabra [waves wand] erase our five or six years of high finishes so we can replenish our talentlessness with high draft picks...

Sweet lord, mate.

Prize for most inane bitch and moan of the year goes to you.

We've got what we've got mate. We have to build a plan around the skills of the players in the stable.

The talent you allude to don't just appear in a puff of smoke.

And as for your goal efficiency stat, how then did the Pies do so well?

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
JohnE
Club Player

"Mini is a poor player who had one good year." jeez!! Raph's been lauded and supported by some on here for playing 2 great games!!! WTF?

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society