Ban Paul Connors for Draft Tampering

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ban Demetriou and Anderson for allowing Connors to tamper with the draft yet again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way, if every player did this, there would be no need for trade week. Disgruntled player just chooses a club, tells all others he won't go there. The whole point of the draft is to even up the competition, it is completely compromised if the reigning premier (or another top team) has exclusive rights to good players that teams below them would draft if they had the chance.
Make no mistake, it is cheating. If this continues, Collingwood will continue to offer up very lame trades with the confidence that they will get the player regardless…
Luke Ball isn't Chris Judd however his CV reads pretty well, I think RL was right to expect more than pick 30 for a #2, AA, Club Captain.
If they want Chris Tarrant, then they simply have to offer something meaningful, like a starting 22 for a starting 22.
Their arrogance astounds me, when you enter the draft you play with whoever selects you, not the other way around.
The very fact that they are publicly stating he will retire if another team selects him should have the AFL deregistering him, it goes against the very essence of the draft system...

bob__71
Club Player

Plugger you are a flog! Luke bent every rule as far as he could to get his own way....He is obviously very used to getting his own way....You and Luke need to stop expecting that everyone else should always agree with you.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

what about the rule about Not training with other teams whilst still contracted.......

openly discussed by said player after he was caught- ' just running' with his private trainer-- btu was " very ready for High altitude" due to........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

bob__71 wrote:Plugger you are a flog! Luke bent every rule as far as he could to get his own way....He is obviously very used to getting his own way....You and Luke need to stop expecting that everyone else should always agree with you.
well you better include me in that list as well
Luke Ball broke NO rules

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:Plugger you are a flog! Luke bent every rule as far as he could to get his own way....He is obviously very used to getting his own way....You and Luke need to stop expecting that everyone else should always agree with you.
You seem such a nice guy. Lets catch up for a beer sometime and we can work on our friendship.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Luke Ball broke NO rules
Neither do many tax dodgers.

Doesn't make not paying tax right.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Luke Ball broke NO rules
No, just hearts

PaulieGa
Club Player

So we just ignore that Fraser Gehrig wouldn't speak to other teams and said that if they pick him up he will just retire? Seems awfully similar in a way to the Tarrant situation, maybe Tarrant actually believes that he would retire if he didnt get to play for the pies?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

PaulieGa wrote:So we just ignore that Fraser Gehrig wouldn't speak to other teams and said that if they pick him up he will just retire? Seems awfully similar in a way to the Tarrant situation, maybe Tarrant actually believes that he would retire if he didnt get to play for the pies?
I agree that the Gehrig situation is in the same boat and should have been investigated too.
Two main differences between Gehrig and Ball/Tarrant are:
• Gehrig was not leaving a club and so the receiving club (Us) could not offer a fair trade or pick.
• At 32, Gehrig was absolutely shot and never even remotely looked like making an impact. Luke Ball although not the gun we all hoped, at 25 was at the peak of his powers when he walked out on StKilda. Chris Tarrant just turned 30 and is widely regarded to be in the best form of his career, with many having him in their AA teams last year.
This scum of a team has been doing this for a long time, the footy-gods were out in full-force by not allowing Nathan Buckley to win a flag! thankyou god.
They missed out on Nick Stevens, but he ended up at an even bigger-cheating club.

I'm not sure how the AFL can police this one, but I don't want to be talking about it in 5 years in the same context as the bungled father-son (geelong) rule.
If you can't get a deal done, then enter the draft and except that you may end up anywhere. The pies can use their very last pick on Tarrant if everyone else is scared off. BS.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Hasnt broken any rules yet because he hasnt nominated for the draft. If he does and still has this opinion then he has broken a rule. Will be traded so end of story.
Yes he may well be traded.

Collingwood will offer a few sausages and say that each sausage is worth $1500 because that what sausages cost at grand final time.

Fremantle are going to get screwed over whether they accept a trade or not.

This will continue until Demetriou and his supporters are flushed.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

The dirty filth are now f*cking over fremantle big time. How can Tarrant sleep at night knowing his team are being reamed by collingwood. Freo are willing to accept pick 43 (Tarrant is surely worth more than that), however the filthy pricks down at scumland will only give pick 55. So they are gonna do what they did to us last year and hold out and get Tarrant for free.
Didn't think i could hate those scumbags more, but now i can

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Am seriously lost as to why people are stressing over Tarrant - spud of the highest order bar 4 or 5 games in 2009 and will add nothing to the Pies defence or offense.

pluggernaut
Club Player

Here's an idea - call his bluff and make him retire. If no one picks him up via a trade and he puts himself in the pre season draft, surely it is up to the clubs who picks him. Make a stand, select him, and if he won't play.......
SO LONG PRETTY BOY!!!!

ace
Saintsational Legend

pluggernaut wrote:Here's an idea - call his bluff and make him retire. If no one picks him up via a trade and he puts himself in the pre season draft, surely it is up to the clubs who picks him. Make a stand, select him, and if he won't play.......
SO LONG PRETTY BOY!!!!
Here's another idea.
Approach Fremantle, suggest that they screw Collingwood, Connors and Tarrant back.

We offer our 8th round draft pick no 120+, in return for Tarrant.
Fremantle agree to our offer, to spite Collingwood when Collingwood wont even offer a beer in return for Tarrant.
Tarrant either retires or sends Connors in to negotiate.
We offer base salary only.
Tarrant then has 3 choices, retire, stand out of football for 2 years, or take at least a one year contract for almost nothing.
He would probably sulk the season away at Sandringham just to stay in shape.

That would wreck Connors reputation and prevent Collingwood enticing players to behave in this manner again.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood and Connors have really screwed Fremantle.

Fremantle got to improve their 3rd round pick by one place and a got pick 55 for Tarrant.
That's about equivalent to getting pick 53 in this draft.

AND that is pick 53 in a draft that has been compromised by Gold Coast taking 12 players before the draft even starts and some clubs having compensation picks for players taken by Gold Coast.
That makes pick 53 really about pick 70.

In reality Fremantle has received the equivalent of an early 5th round pick in an uncompromised draft for Tarrant.

Fremantle chose to swallow dregs rather than nothing.

Meanwhile Demetriou will be counting his salary bonuses as Collingwood causes attendance records to be broken and Eddie McGuire tells Channel 9 cheifs they have to bid higher to win the TV rights.
Last edited by ace on Mon 11 Oct 2010 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Collingwood and Connors have really screwed Fremantle.

Fremantle got to improve their 3rd round pick by one place and a got pick 55 for Tarrant.

AND that is pick 53 in a draft that has been compromised by Gold Coast taking 12 players before the draft even starts and some clubs having compensation picks for players taken by Gold Coast.

In reality Fremantle has received the equivalent of an early 5th round pick for Tarrant.

Meanwhile Demetriou will be counting his salary bonuses as Collingwood causes attendance records t obe broken and Eddie McGuire tells Channel 9 cheifs they have to bid higher to win the TV rights.
Just explain to me what they have done wrong?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

They've done nothing wrong. That's why they're doing it. That they can do it without it being wrong is the problem.

There's no free agency yet. Players shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose.

I don't personally see how that is so difficult to understand.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:Collingwood and Connors have really screwed Fremantle.

In reality Fremantle has received the equivalent of an early 5th round pick for Tarrant.

Meanwhile Demetriou will be counting his salary bonuses as Collingwood causes attendance records t obe broken and Eddie McGuire tells Channel 9 cheifs they have to bid higher to win the TV rights.
Just explain to me what they have done wrong?
Already done previously , what a pity you never learnt to read.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:They've done nothing wrong. That's why they're doing it. That they can do it without it being wrong is the problem.

We can do it too. Lets face it a few on here are jealous of the trades the pies have done in the last 2 years and if that is what is required then we have to do it too. Any player can say they want to go to a club during the trade and good luck to them if they get there. What it proves is Paul Conners is a great player manager for his players.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:They've done nothing wrong. That's why they're doing it. That they can do it without it being wrong is the problem.

We can do it too. Lets face it a few on here are jealous of the trades the pies have done in the last 2 years and if that is what is required then we have to do it too. Any player can say they want to go to a club during the trade and good luck to them if they get there. What it proves is Paul Conners is a great player manager for his players.
I think people understand that. I also think the discussion has evolved from 'is it right?' to 'shouldn't be allowed' and now to 'why is it allowed? Surely its contrary to the spirit of drafting as a concept?'.

On the latter, Connor's behaviour on behalf of his clients is stinky and surely must raise eyebrows in high places.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
Luke Ball broke NO rules
You should include me on that list as well
What rule did he break :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
ace
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think people understand that. I also think the discussion has evolved from 'is it right?' to 'shouldn't be allowed' and now to 'why is it allowed? Surely its contrary to the spirit of drafting as a concept?'.

On the latter, Connor's behaviour on behalf of his clients is stinky and surely must raise eyebrows in high places.
The only thing it raises is Demetriou's bonus for higher attendances and bonus for higher TV rights.

Adolf Hitler was never convicted of a crime, clearly some on here would say he was innocent because he was never convicted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well if i was a player, the first manager I would contact is Paul Conners. Whether it is the spirit I really dont care but i suggest after getting to the last 2 GF's that the Saints say stuff any spirit and lets win the flag anyway we can as long as we dont actually break a rule but we can break any spirit we like. Being a nice club may make a few supporters happy but winning a GF will make all the supporters go off their heads.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I note that post trade Connors seemed to have changed his tune 180 degrees.
When pressed by Harford as to whether Tarrant would have retired if he couldn' get to Collingwood, Connors stated that if he had decided to nominate for teh Draft, he would have gone to whichever Club picked him.