Our Cap, No Trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Our Cap, No Trades

No trades is a result of the fact that we have used up our salary cap to sign up our players (who by the way have got us to the Grand Final 2 years in a row) so that Gold Coast and GWS cannot sign them. This has been excellent list management and reflective of our motto - Strength Through Loyalty.

We have asked the players to be loyal and we have remained loyal to the players.

It may have meant that we have had to pay a little over the odds for some players but we have not lost a key player through this period and it would seem extremely unlikely that we shall lose any to GWS as I believe everyone is tied up beyond 2011 into 2012. Can someone confirm that?

When I look at who was actually traded I cannot see a player that would have definitely made the difference for us in 2011. Essentially we were well stocked in those types with perhaps Sam Jacobs being the exception but he was only ever going to go to an Adelaide based club.

We have done very well keeping this list together.

Our kids WILL improve - Stanley, Miles, Steven, Armitage, Geary, Simpkin, Smith and Walsh are 8 players outside our Grand Final 23 (including McEvoy) that will put pressure on our bottom 6 and improve us as a team.

Our draft will bring in 3 new kids and 4 new rookies.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I remember an interview with Joey at the start of 09. He said on the decision not to draft Cousins- that if the team wanted to improve drafting a guy past 30 they are kidding themselves. It takes commitment from every player on the list to develop themselves an extra 5 to 10%. Or something along those lines.

We have despite what people say, played a group of young guys this year and would expect that those guys will contest for spots next year. Stanley, Miles, Steven, Armo etc. should be looking at cementing their spot, they have an opportunity now we haven't recruited anyone.

The future looks pretty good from what we already have, I'm not sure anyone that was available was outstandingly better than what we have on our list.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

On reflection that's my thinking too, gringo.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I think you are a bit rose-coloured glasses in your thinking.

The last two years were our chance, rebuilding would start now, if we were any other team.

However......

The theory behind Lyon's game plan is to win by not being beaten, rather than to win by being better. The over-arching theory is to win enough to get into the top four, and if we are there often enough, we'll jag a premiership. It was Sydney's philosophy too, and eventually they jagged one.

Don't expect any dazzling improvement from any of our young fellows. Just expect more of the same, dour low-scoring efforts, where our new guys will fit into the pattern already set.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Just expect more of the same, dour low-scoring efforts, where our new guys will fit into the pattern already set.
A mistake, I think, if this is the plan.

I'm all for us staying the top defensive team, but we've got to get better at scoreboard pressure. It should be given top priority.

Most recent premierships have been won by teams who are able to put opponents away ... not by attrition, but by landing the killer blow when the opportunity presents itself.

I've had enough of defensive forwards. To my mind if you don't impact on the scoreboard you shouldn't be in the forward line. Natural goal-kickers can be taught to defend. Not sure that natural defenders can be taught to kick goals.

B: Baker, Dawson, Clarke/Miles

HB: Fisher, Blake, Gwilt

C: Gram, Hayes, Goddard

HF: Dal Santo, Gilbert, Steven

F: Milne, Riewoldt, Schneider

Foll: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones

Int: Montagna, Ray, Armitage. Sub: Koschitzke.

If Walsh or Stanley really come on in the pre-season they could maybe take the other key forward position and use Gilbert on the flank. Steven would replace Armitatge on the interchange.

eppo67
Club Player

Lyon has already indicated GrumpyOne that quite a lot will change next year and the Summer will be very important for the team (ie Changes to game plan & structure)

Read Article in the Australian a few days ago very interesting quotes from Ross re above.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Read Article in the Australian a few days ago very interesting quotes from Ross re above.
I'd like to read that Eppo. Do you have a link?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

bigcarl wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Read Article in the Australian a few days ago very interesting quotes from Ross re above.
I'd like to read that Eppo. Do you have a link?
Ditto

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Ho does this sub thing work

As for Kosi, I have been a supporter of him but I am a little worried after thisd year that he is just not up to it. I would love to be proven wrong on that.

I love this club
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Lyon has already indicated GrumpyOne that quite a lot will change next year and the Summer will be very important for the team (ie Changes to game plan & structure)
The pre-season, particularly the period pre-Christmas will be very telling this year, having cut an extra week into the pre-season due to the draw. Effectively we're already five weeks behind the bottom eight clubs in terms of recovery, operations etc. and along with Collingwood are now two weeks behind the Cats and Dogs rather than the usual one.

By the time the players come back from their annual leave most clubs will have two to seven weeks of preseason under their belts. Enter Mr. Misson and crew.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't expect much of the same. We can all be guilty of wearing rose coloured glasses, but the reality is, we were dour because to some extent we needed to be.

Best defensive unit in the comp certainly, but without the zone defence, how would you have rated our backmen when isolated?

Keeping in mind that the development and growth in Gwilt and Dawson has only happened recently.

I think it's fair and reasonable to say that up until now, I am not sure we've had the luxury of being able to perhaps ease off on the pushing numbers back?

Our backline is now looking great one on one, because of guys like Gwilt and Dawson. I honestly couldn't say that with confidence previously, how about everyone else?

With this stability in the backline, allows our forwards to stay at home more. I am really looking forward to them leading to the ball from inside 50, rather than continually watching them run inside 50 towards it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The forward line needs rebuilding, so RL needs to look at the available talent to throw in there (and get the weaknessess out). I expect Stanley, Steven, Smith and Walsh will be given every opportunity. Heyne is probably competing against Geary and Eddy for that middle size all rounder spot. I'm not sure about Lynch, and Armo just needs to get in there and prove his worth to the team, as he has the talent.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Can Heyne run?

Does have any speed?

I've not seen enough to know.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
derby Street
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Can Heyne run?

Does have any speed?

I've not seen enough to know.
He can run - but doesn't chase (or want to at least)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:I think you are a bit rose-coloured glasses in your thinking.
The last two years were our chance, rebuilding would start now, if we were any other team.

However......

The theory behind Lyon's game plan is to win by not being beaten, rather than to win by being better. The over-arching theory is to win enough to get into the top four, and if we are there often enough, we'll jag a premiership. It was Sydney's philosophy too, and eventually they jagged one.

Don't expect any dazzling improvement from any of our young fellows. Just expect more of the same, dour low-scoring efforts, where our new guys will fit into the pattern already set.
i agree i think some poster on here may have rose coloured glasses.

by not trading Lyon has basically said, that talent and qualtity will rise from within. how do we know this? he may not be right? it didn't happen this year, and 3 out of 4 2009 draft picks didn't work (for whatever reason). therfore he is hanging his hat on the draft. and previous drafts.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't expect much of the same. We can all be guilty of wearing rose coloured glasses, but the reality is, we were dour because to some extent we needed to be.
I don't buy the argument that we are somehow less talented than other teams.

I think it is more that our focus is on negating rather than kicking a winning score.

For instance, McQualter, Eddy, Baker, Dempster. All solid players, but that is four guys who do not get a lot of the ball and whose role is primarily negative. That is a lot of armor plating at the expense of firepower.

I don't know why we didn't persevere with Steven. At least he looks likely to kick a goal or do something creative.

SainterK wrote:I am not sure we've had the luxury of being able to perhaps ease off on the pushing numbers back?
We started off 2009 without massive numbers behind the ball and hey presto. At the half way mark of the season we were 11-zip with a percentage of a zillion.

Somewhere between then and the end of 2010 we regressed to a back foot, defensive mentality.

I think we are extremely well coached and have a talented and solid core.

But we need to get the balance between defence and attack right.

Too often the priority seems to be how we match up on the opposition. How about make them match up on us occasionally.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 12 Oct 2010 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:I don't expect much of the same. We can all be guilty of wearing rose coloured glasses, but the reality is, we were dour because to some extent we needed to be.
I don't buy the argument that we are somehow less talented than other teams.

I think it is more that our focus is on negating rather than kicking a winning score.

For instance, McQualter, Eddy, Baker, Dempster. All solid players, but that is four guys who do not get a lot of the ball and whose role is primarily negative.

I don't know why we didn't persevere with Steven. At least he looks likely to kick a goal or do something creative.

SainterK wrote:I am not sure we've had the luxury of being able to perhaps ease off on the pushing numbers back?
We started off 2009 without massive numbers behind the ball and hey presto. At the half way mark of the season we were 11-zip with a percentage of a zillion.

Somewhere between then and the end of 2010 we regressed to a back foot, defensive mentality.

I think we are extremely well coached and have a talented and solid core. But we need to get the balance between defence and attack right.
Steven has been reported to have struggled with OP late in the season bigcarl.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Steven has been reported to have struggled with OP late in the season bigcarl.
I heard that, but then the word was that he's okay.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:Steven has been reported to have struggled with OP late in the season bigcarl.
No he wasnt. Either had an operation last week or this week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Ah, okay. I was misinformed

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i have told before. Only read what i say and forget the rest.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i have told before. Only read what i say and forget the rest.
I thought it was you that told me he was okay :wink: