Interesting comments by Ricky Nixon this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

Winmar wrote:It'd be nice if Steven could take his chance next year. If Armo doesn't do it in 2011 he never will. Stanley's shown a lot of potential, but needs to beef up a bit really. He's still very young though.
Armo just turned 22 in June. How old were Hayes, Joey and Gwilt when they started playing good football.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armo needs to knuckle down and work really hard IMO. He has ability but that alone will not get him there.

Winmar
Club Player

Hayes and Montagna in particular had shown more at the age Armo is now. I really want him to do well, but if he doesn't take his chances next year... He had a golden opportunity this year, but was restricted a bit with injury. If he can't get in the side ahead of Eddy next year he'll really need to take stock.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:kossi stated at the start of this year that heyne would be the next big thing......i'm waiting expectantly.......
I like the way Heyne moves and he is a good size but he needs to get more of the pill and be more assured in front of goal. Hopefully this will come with more game time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Armo, Steven and Co dont need to turn into Goddards next year...

All we need is for them to contribute in the manner Sidebottom/Beams did earlier on at Pies.......IMO IF they can do that our top 6-8 are better than most and they will have displaced Eddy/Mini et al and therefore improved our bottom end.

Anyway...that helps me sleep at night.....in between dreams replaying "what ifs" for GF1.

“Yeah….nah””
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I think if you look at what our deficiencies are currently thought to be, our up & comers fit the bill perfectly.

Jack Steven- is the quick goal kicking midfielder that will learn the craft playing as a small forward with brief runs in the midfield. He has already show a taste for performing well in big games. A huge future ahead.

Nick Heyle- is the medium marking forward who can kick the miraculous goal (that he regularly did in the U/18's), take a hanger and be a very good foil for Roo.

Rhys Stanley- is the quick tall forward/ruck that compliments Roo with his speed & height. As he fills out he can become a damaging ruck forward.

David Armitage- is the inside tackling machine that can help fill the gaping hole that Lenny will leave when his career comes to an end. Needs to improve on his disposal but when he is on song, his raking left foot is a serious weapon.

Alastair Smith- is the outside pacy wingman who is disciplined enough to shut down a player or can get the ball & use it well.

Luke Miles is the mid sized defender that has excellent pace, can play on smalls and mid sized forwards and is the ideal replacement for Bakes once he is done.

Tom Simpkin is a tallish defender that has good footy smarts, excellent overhead and may be an option to allow Gilby to go forward.

Tommy Walsh is a huge question mark. He has all the athletic attributes of a powerhouse player. He has picked up a foreign game amazingly well during his first year and is more advanced than where Jim Stynes was at the same time of his AFL career (Jimmy was dropped to play at Prahran after one year). Where he ends up is anybody's guess but in a best case scenario he is a power forward that has excellent mobility.

Tom Lynch is the 3rd marking forward that we crave. Anyone who saw Tom play in the U/18 champs 2 years back can attest to how hard working and smart he plays. He was likened to Ryan O'Keefe when drafted and that's how he plays at his best... continual leads, presents beautifully and has crisp skills.

Nick Winmar is probably about 18 months away but his underage footy showed his talent as a hard running, quick and reasonably skilful wingman, with above average height that he uses well.

Now most of these blokes have only shown glimpses of their POTENTIAL. What I think is exciting is that we have these young players ready to go, Ross has indicated that they will be given opportunity and now it is up to them to show the promise and talent that they undoubtably have.

Make no mistake, our currently identifiable weaknesses (speed, disposal, depth) can be rectified very quickly with 3-4 of these kids becoming best 22 players. We have an outstanding senior group that needs some speed, skill and youthful exhuberance around them.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot do to the AFL what the filth did this year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think if you look at what our deficiencies are currently thought to be, our up & comers fit the bill perfectly.

Jack Steven- is the quick goal kicking midfielder that will learn the craft playing as a small forward with brief runs in the midfield. He has already show a taste for performing well in big games. A huge future ahead.

Nick Heyle- is the medium marking forward who can kick the miraculous goal (that he regularly did in the U/18's), take a hanger and be a very good foil for Roo.

Rhys Stanley- is the quick tall forward/ruck that compliments Roo with his speed & height. As he fills out he can become a damaging ruck forward.

David Armitage- is the inside tackling machine that can help fill the gaping hole that Lenny will leave when his career comes to an end. Needs to improve on his disposal but when he is on song, his raking left foot is a serious weapon.

Alastair Smith- is the outside pacy wingman who is disciplined enough to shut down a player or can get the ball & use it well.

Luke Miles is the mid sized defender that has excellent pace, can play on smalls and mid sized forwards and is the ideal replacement for Bakes once he is done.

Tom Simpkin is a tallish defender that has good footy smarts, excellent overhead and may be an option to allow Gilby to go forward.

Tommy Walsh is a huge question mark. He has all the athletic attributes of a powerhouse player. He has picked up a foreign game amazingly well during his first year and is more advanced than where Jim Stynes was at the same time of his AFL career (Jimmy was dropped to play at Prahran after one year). Where he ends up is anybody's guess but in a best case scenario he is a power forward that has excellent mobility.

Tom Lynch is the 3rd marking forward that we crave. Anyone who saw Tom play in the U/18 champs 2 years back can attest to how hard working and smart he plays. He was likened to Ryan O'Keefe when drafted and that's how he plays at his best... continual leads, presents beautifully and has crisp skills.

Nick Winmar is probably about 18 months away but his underage footy showed his talent as a hard running, quick and reasonably skilful wingman, with above average height that he uses well.

Now most of these blokes have only shown glimpses of their POTENTIAL. What I think is exciting is that we have these young players ready to go, Ross has indicated that they will be given opportunity and now it is up to them to show the promise and talent that they undoubtably have.

Make no mistake, our currently identifiable weaknesses (speed, disposal, depth) can be rectified very quickly with 3-4 of these kids becoming best 22 players. We have an outstanding senior group that needs some speed, skill and youthful exhuberance around them.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot do to the AFL what the filth did this year.
very bullish forecasting animal enclosure. hope u are correct.

is there any actual evidence that steven is quick?? the rumour is that OP slowed him down last year - which i hope is true. Because from what I saw in 2010 he cant run out of sight on a foggy night. really slow.

what was his 30m sprint result at draft camp?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Mate I needed to be a bit confident after the last few weeks!

Steven has plenty of toe but he did look proppy at times. He does have a funny gait that makes him look a bit awkward though.

You, me & every other Saint wants these boys to come on, I suppose my point is to many, don't write them off... I've seen enough of them at both junior & senior levels to give me confidence that a few will be very good senior players and few will be good & a few will inevitably fall by the wayside.

The doom & gloom on here is not doing anyone any good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I think if you look at what our deficiencies are currently thought to be, our up & comers fit the bill perfectly.

very bullish forecasting animal enclosure. hope u are correct.

is there any actual evidence that steven is quick?? the rumour is that OP slowed him down last year - which i hope is true. Because from what I saw in 2010 he cant run out of sight on a foggy night. really slow.

Steven is quick and was quick this year. He was injured late in the year but that didnt effect his running when playing in the seniors. I think you are confusing a funny running style with pace.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:very bullish forecasting animal enclosure. hope u are correct.

Steven is quick and was quick this year. He was injured late in the year but that didnt effect his running when playing in the seniors. I think you are confusing a funny running style with pace.
Agree p66...interesting misconception that Steven is slow! :shock:

Maybe it's a jumper thing, like all Geelong players look fat in horizontal stripes? Put Alwyn Davey in a St Kilda jumper and there would still be people on here who think he's slow.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:very bullish forecasting animal enclosure. hope u are correct.

Agree p66...interesting misconception that Steven is slow! :shock:

Maybe it's a jumper thing, like all Geelong players look fat in horizontal stripes? Put Alwyn Davey in a St Kilda jumper and there would still be people on here who think he's slow.
Correct, same thing happened with Stephen Powell.

Oh hang on a sec.......