G Games - Honestly, as a Spectator? 10 reasons.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

G Games - Honestly, as a Spectator? 10 reasons.

As a spectator I find games at the G to be a bit of a pain in the arse.
I know, it's selfish of me to feel this way.
We're told the guys like games at the G, because let's be honest it's where they plan on playing the GF.
But as a spectator, selfishly, I find the whole procedure frustrating.

1. My free parking at Etihad is a sweet rort.
2. I'm coming from Frankston, to get to Etihad all I do is hop onto Citylink, with the G I have to go the Eastern and deal with Punt Rd.
3. If it's raining, I don't generally get wet at Etihad unless the roof at Livewire caves in.
4. I get a better view at Etihad.
5. I get closer to the action with GenAd at Etihad.
6. I can get into Etihad early.
7. I know sometimes that I have to buy a Reserved Seat Ticket at Etihad but I don't mind as I know that every ticket held by me and other Saints is a ticket not held by the opposition.
8. Southern Cross hits Richmond Station for six.
9. We generally dominate games at Etihad.
10. Etihad is pain for Collingwood.

How do other GenAd spectators feel?

saintlee
Club Player

I like both. I think you get a better view at Etihad, and its easier to walk around, but I like the grand feel of the MCG....buts it horrible when its cold and wet....

From a footy point of view, I would prefer us to be an MCG tenant. Its gotta be an advantage playing all our home games there when it comes to finals.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I hate losing your car in the carpark on a wet and muddy night :x

St Lenny
Club Player

Im not a massive fan of the G. Living interstate I am selective about what games we go to and I would always choose Etihad. I find the G to be to big, cold and the viewing not as good. Im glad we have more games there though this year, anything if it helps the boys.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saintlee wrote:I like both. I think you get a better view at Etihad, and its easier to walk around, but I like the grand feel of the MCG....buts it horrible when its cold and wet....

From a footy point of view, I would prefer us to be an MCG tenant. Its gotta be an advantage playing all our home games there when it comes to finals.
personally can't see any benefit in us playing our first two games there to be quite honest.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I hate losing your car in the carpark on a wet and muddy night :x
nothing worse hey.

saintlee
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:I like both. I think you get a better view at Etihad, and its easier to walk around, but I like the grand feel of the MCG....buts it horrible when its cold and wet....

personally can't see any benefit in us playing our first two games there to be quite honest.
No, I meant if we were a MCG tenant, playing all our home games, as in all 12. That has got to be an advantage. Its a very different ground to Etihad.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:Im not a massive fan of the G. Living interstate I am selective about what games we go to and I would always choose Etihad. I find the G to be to big, cold and the viewing not as good. Im glad we have more games there though this year, anything if it helps the boys.
cold as bro. it's like doing time in stateville.
then you have to climb up a muddied bank, dodge to riverlettes and into your ride before negotiating your way through a poorly lit tree-lined exit without your foot slipping off the clutch.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:I hate losing your car in the carpark on a wet and muddy night :x
nothing worse hey.
Haven't had to drive to the footy since we (and the AFL) abandoned VFL Park. :D

From a purely selfish point of view I prefer Etihad due to the ease of getting there from Geelong on the train and the comfort factor. On that last point I couldn't care less about tradition and muddy ovals etc - I've been wet and cold enough times to last me the rest of my life.

But I understand why we're playing more games at the G and quite frankly, as long as our team remains based in Melbourne, and plays in Melbourne, I'm not fussed about it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Being an AFL member my mates and I go to a lot fo random games. Nearly one a week.

There have been multiple times a season where If the game had been at the G, we would have gone.

In fact we target games at the G.

In the elements and just a better all round atmosphere!

Love it!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

i prefer Etihadfor the following

better seats as a reserve seat member.
closer to public transport
undercover,

snowdelisaint
Club Player

I hate Etihad and love the G. Very happy to have 6 games there in 2011

1. Sitting in the dark at Etihad when it is bright sunshine outside, is horrible
2. The G is the home of football
3. The larger capacity of the G creates a better atmosphere for big games
4. The weather (wind, rain) plays a factor at the G making the games more interesting
5. The announcements and music at Etihad feel like a basketball game

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

snowdelisaint wrote:I hate Etihad and love the G. Very happy to have 6 games there in 2011

1. Sitting in the dark at Etihad when it is bright sunshine outside, is horrible
2. The G is the home of football
3. The larger capacity of the G creates a better atmosphere for big games
4. The weather (wind, rain) plays a factor at the G making the games more interesting
5. The announcements and music at Etihad feel like a basketball game
From what I can tell, Saintsational has been going since 2004.

C'mon people, we'll never wrap up this forum if everyone keeps having different views! :wink:
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Mon 01 Nov 2010 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

MCG is definetly better for me as I'm an AFL Member and the benifits there far outweigh the benifits at Etihad.

You can definetly get a better view at Etihad for GA than you can at the 'G though, because after all, the stadium is half the size.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ethihad for me...i hate being wet and cold at the footy or the game being decided on a flip of the coin.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:ethihad for me...i hate being wet and cold at the footy or the game being decided on a flip of the coin.....
This is footy, not cricket. Games are never decided by the toss of the coin.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

snowdelisaint wrote:1. Sitting in the dark at Etihad when it is bright sunshine outside, is horrible
this is the only argument against docklands, for mine, and it comes into play only about three times a season. and even when it does, at least you're not getting sun in your eyes. i far prefer docklands most of the time.

The_Merchant
Club Player

As an MCC member, it is no contest for me. 'G everytime.
I do enjoy games at Etihad, particular when it is cold and wet outside, and getting there from Ballarat is a lot easier. You just can't go past the home of football though.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Etihad for me simply because I enjoy the creature comforts it provides. I hate getting wet at the footy. The G is fine when it is fine, but I don't control the weather !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Etihad for me simply because I enjoy the creature comforts it provides. I hate getting wet at the footy. The G is fine when it is fine, but I don't control the weather !!
Agree Eastern. Had enough days getting soaked at Moorabbin & VFL Park (and especially one day at Optus Oval :x )

The other side of that is the game itself. While the grounds have improved and a bit of drizzle doesn't really affect things, torrential rain totally destroys the spectacle IMO.

Unlike some games (eg soccer) heavy rain totally changes the game itself ie, players unable to mark, players unable to pick up the ball, players kicking the ball off the ground etc.

It's still a game but it's a totally different game - and not the game I wait all week to see!

St Lenny
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Im not a massive fan of the G. Living interstate I am selective about what games we go to and I would always choose Etihad. I find the G to be to big, cold and the viewing not as good. Im glad we have more games there though this year, anything if it helps the boys.
cold as bro. it's like doing time in stateville.
then you have to climb up a muddied bank, dodge to riverlettes and into your ride before negotiating your way through a poorly lit tree-lined exit without your foot slipping off the clutch.
:roll: Forget your medication today.

SaintDebi
Club Player

For me Etihad wins hands down. There is not a single thing about the G that I like better than Etihad. I think the viewing is better at Etihad, access for me is far easier at Etihad, I prefer the atmosphere at Etihad and the amenities (food/drinks/toilets/parking) are all way better at Etihad.
Having said all that though, I'm very happy with 6 games at the G next year. As the home of finals there are definite and obvious advantages to being familiar with playing there. It can only do our finals campaign good, and I'd go watch at the Werribee sewerage farm if it would help us get that elusive GF.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:It can only do our finals campaign good, and I'd go watch at the Werribee sewerage farm if it would help us get that elusive GF.
NO, that's just going too far SaintDebi! :shock:

Just couldn't do that; not if the game was being televised anyway :wink:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon weve got the best of both worlds in 2011

Love my MW reserved seat at Etihad..awesome atmosphere and dry as a bone...but...

The G is what footy in this town is all about..and theres soemthing pretty special about arriving for a big game there..as all of ours will be next year.

Those who sook about the cold and wet at the G (and we did get a very high % of crap weather there in 2010 until GF2) should remember Moorabbin on a cold winters afternoon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm not a big fan of the modern MCG......

and i think i've been spoiled by Etihad...that's a great place to watch footy..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.