Polo v Bakes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Polo v Bakes

I know Lyon said Polo would be used as support/back up for lenny. But given the impact small fwds have at the moment is there any chance polo can play on a defensive fwd (gartlet, dids, le cras, stokes) types?

I know dempster has been used to some effect on small fwds recently and I dont know a lot about Polo so excuse my ignorance on the matter. But sooner or later and maybe sooner we will need a replacement for Bakes to cover all these goal scoring fleas.

rexy
SS Life Member

I wonder whether Polo could replace Jones as a tagger but with better skills and a more damaging offensive game?

Maybe this year?
ben_fff
Club Player

Why would Jones be replaced as a tagger, his last 2 years have been on the better side of good.

I don't think much should be expected of Polo, unlike most I'm happy to have him on our list but he has a long way to go before he can pin down a spot in the 22.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Polo v Bakes

Con Gorozidis wrote:But sooner or later and maybe sooner we will need a replacement for Bakes to cover all these goal scoring fleas.
yep, i reckon you just might be right on this one.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I know Lyon said Polo would be used as support/back up for lenny. But given the impact small fwds have at the moment is there any chance polo can play on a defensive fwd (gartlet, dids, le cras, stokes) types?

I know dempster has been used to some effect on small fwds recently and I dont know a lot about Polo so excuse my ignorance on the matter. But sooner or later and maybe sooner we will need a replacement for Bakes to cover all these goal scoring fleas.
Guess Armo should start looking for somewhere else to go now then. He hasn't been told he will be used for anything. I thought he was supposed to be back up for Lenny.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I know Lyon said Polo would be used as support/back up for lenny. But given the impact small fwds have at the moment is there any chance polo can play on a defensive fwd (gartlet, dids, le cras, stokes) types?

Guess Armo should start looking for somewhere else to go now then. He hasn't been told he will be used for anything. I thought he was supposed to be back up for Lenny.
share your frustration mate.......and i'm not related to any sainter......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
shmic_s
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:

I think he has potentional to make the team in his own right. Not a back up to anyone.
Hopefully he can stay injury/niggle free and he can show us how good he can be consistently.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:

in my best 22 - i have armo first rover. just thinking polo might work as a small defender cos there are so many small fwds these days and they have a habit of cutting us up and as great a warrior as he has been bakes might be almost baked.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote: Guess Armo should start looking for somewhere else to go now then. He hasn't been told he will be used for anything. I thought he was supposed to be back up for Lenny.
Do you think the recruitement of Polo will help Dave feel motivated DW, same as all the other players and roles that we seem to have good depth for now?

I remember reading an article at the start of this year, where David was interviewed and said he wasn't under any pressure, that the spot was there for the taking.

Now his competitive juices may start flowing, knowing that there is someone breathing down his neck?

Nothing like a bit of pressure for spots to keep a team motivated.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Jonesy as been outstanding for the last 2 years.

His GF2 was a bad a numerous others.

He is a lock for best 22... Polo or no Polo.

On the original point, Polo could be very useful as a small defender... whether or not he can dislodge a fit and firing Bakes is another matter.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:But sooner or later and maybe sooner we will need a replacement for Bakes to cover all these goal scoring fleas.
That makes two forward structures we need to be able to account for. Collingwood's tall timber (Dawes/Cloke/Brown) or Carlton's mosquito fleet (Betts/Yarran/Garlett).

Which one is most likely to be around at the pointy end of September?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:
That makes two forward structures we need to be able to account for. Collingwood's tall timber (Dawes/Cloke/Brown) or Carlton's mosquito fleet (Betts/Yarran/Garlett).

what? i don't have to tell you that collingwood still have smalls (beams/sidebottom/macaffer/blair/etc) in the same way carlton still have talls. we'll always need one or two small defenders. bakes is aging fast and with the delisting of miles there's no obvious replacement. dempster could be close, as could polo. surely that's the original point?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:

what? i don't have to tell you that collingwood still have smalls (beams/sidebottom/macaffer/blair/etc) in the same way carlton still have talls. we'll always need one or two small defenders. bakes is aging fast and with the delisting of miles there's no obvious replacement. dempster could be close, as could polo. surely that's the original point?

agree - have u heard of didak?
anyway we need both littles and bigs anda flexible defence or are u just conceding to carlton and essendon every year cos we only care about september? with that kind of attitude we wont see september.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe I gave you the wrong idea. Where did I say we don't need to account for both types?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Sainterman
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
DWOODROW wrote: Guess Armo should start looking for somewhere else to go now then. He hasn't been told he will be used for anything. I thought he was supposed to be back up for Lenny.
Do you think the recruitement of Polo will help Dave feel motivated DW, same as all the other players and roles that we seem to have good depth for now?

I remember reading an article at the start of this year, where David was interviewed and said he wasn't under any pressure, that the spot was there for the taking.

Now his competitive juices may start flowing, knowing that there is someone breathing down his neck?

Nothing like a bit of pressure for spots to keep a team motivated.
Geez, Armo needs to work hard, play some good games consecutively in the lower grade and force (demand) his way into the side. Being ear marked for a role, or thinking it is there for the taking is BS. These guys are lucky to be on an AFL list and need to work hard and repay the faith the clubs have shown in them by choosing them in the first place. I for one like Armo, and the games he has played for us have been ok, none have set the world on fire. But really getting sick of this discussion every time we talk about an in and under role, or some role he might be able to play. Work hard and make it impossible not to select you in the side! If he is thinking like you DWOODROW he will never bloody make it!

1600 nominated for the AFL draft and about 100 make it. Lucky to be there and need to work as hard as humanly possible to make it to the senior side once on a list.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Maybe I gave you the wrong idea. Where did I say we don't need to account for both types?
the rhetorical question "which one is most likely to be around at the pointy end of september" seems to suggest a focus on countering one over the other.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:

Or, he could go about demanding a spot by training the house down over summer and producing the form that many believe he is capable of during the pre-season/nab cup !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:

agree - have u heard of didak?
anyway we need both littles and bigs anda flexible defence or are u just conceding to carlton and essendon every year cos we only care about september? with that kind of attitude we wont see september.
Not to mention Krakouer. But I'm not sure Polo is the answer to the "smalls". He's not really "small", or particularly quick, himself, I wouldn't have thought. Maybe the only chance Mini has of playing a long career is to play that role once Bakes moves on. And maybe that's the role we got Cripps to play.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.