I finally watched THAT match.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I finally watched THAT match.

The first Grand Final that is. With all that has been going on, I thought it was time to get back to footy.

As I have said a few times on saintsational, I have been going to Saints games for 50 years, and I have seen most of the Grand Finals over the years. Although it can be easier to remember the recent times more vividly that the past, I must say that I have never seen two better games from two individuals than those from Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard. I reckon that they were, both individually and collectively, the greatest performances from Saints players, or any other players, in the game that really matters. In some ways, this is small consolation, but we must never let these performances be forgotten in the telling of our history.

We dared to dream for two minutes in the last quarter of that game. The pain of the following week will stay with us, and them, until a flag is raised. Let it be 2011.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: I finally watched THAT match.

perfectionist wrote:reckon that they were, both individually and collectively, the greatest performances from Saints players, or any other players, in the game that really matters. In some ways, this is small consolation, but we must never let these performances be forgotten in the telling of our history.

We dared to dream for two minutes in the last quarter of that game. The pain of the following week will stay with us, and them, until a flag is raised. Let it be 2011.

Hear, hear!

Best wishes for Xmas and NY's to you too, perfectionist.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it is on again Christmas day- afternoon- ( but don;t watch longer- go out to the BBQ
and again on Boxing day if the test is going backwards.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintphantom
Club Player

Nope can't watch it.

it is like sex without the prize.

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

saintphantom wrote:Nope can't watch it.

it is like sex without the prize.
We know you're a troll don't we?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Saint Pete

Well I have about 40 years of Saints viewing and I couldnt agree more with the post. Never have I seen a last quater by 2 individuals like that of Lenny and BJ that day. These 2 alone almost dragged us over the line. One cruel cruel bounce was all it was. I agree it must never be forgotten the effort of those two that day. I cannot believe the football Gods are doing this to us. I know that when we finally win the damn thing there will be celebrations that will surpass anything this town has ever seen.

Shaggy
Club Player

Saint Pete wrote:Well I have about 40 years of Saints viewing and I couldnt agree more with the post. Never have I seen a last quater by 2 individuals like that of Lenny and BJ that day. These 2 alone almost dragged us over the line. One cruel cruel bounce was all it was. I agree it must never be forgotten the effort of those two that day. I cannot believe the football Gods are doing this to us. I know that when we finally win the damn thing there will be celebrations that will surpass anything this town has ever seen.
Lenny and BJ played the game of their lives. They nearly got us over despite Collingwood being better. Its amazing what they did.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Yes it's really quite sad isnt it? Seeing two heroic gladiators like Lenny and BJ give every last bit of guts and skill and heart and play brilliantly, yet not be rewarded. It reminds me of the great sir R. Harvey. Did anyone in football deserve to win a flag more than him? No. Remember when he single handedly carried us across the line against Adelaide at AAMI park in the qualifying final of '05, only for the team to let him down against Sydney in the prelim. And instead of Harvs getting a flag, bloody Nick Davis gets one. It's not fair. Are we frigging cursed, or what?

I realised the other day that since I started going to the footy at age 8 in 1990, in those 21 seasons, I've seen every side win a flag except Footscray, Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle (doesn't really count though, does it?) and us. Geelong has 2, Essendon 2, Adelaide 2, Hawthorn 2, Collingscum 2, North Melbourne 2, Brisbane 3, West Coast 3, and singles to Carlton, Sydney and Port Adelaide. Of course, Melbourne won one in '88? or '87, Richmond won one on '80, and as for Fremantle, well, they've only been around a bit over a decade, so they've got nothing to complain about.

That really only leaves us and the doggies as the most bereaved fans in the game. And yes, it happened again this year. AGAIN. :evil: '97 should have been ours, and i reckon '05 was ours for the taking, too, if not '04. I hate to say it, but this club has built a strong losing culture over its history that just makes it all the harder to win a flag. We need breakthrough, by crickey, we need a bloody drink.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne hasn't won one since the early 60's

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep I reckon could watch GF1 again now :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
AP Erebus
Club Player

Re: I finally watched THAT match.

perfectionist wrote:The first Grand Final that is. With all that has been going on, I thought it was time to get back to footy.

As I have said a few times on saintsational, I have been going to Saints games for 50 years, and I have seen most of the Grand Finals over the years. Although it can be easier to remember the recent times more vividly that the past, I must say that I have never seen two better games from two individuals than those from Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard. I reckon that they were, both individually and collectively, the greatest performances from Saints players, or any other players, in the game that really matters. In some ways, this is small consolation, but we must never let these performances be forgotten in the telling of our history.

Well said.

I still maintain that that GF1 was the best game of AFL i've ever seen and that the spirit shown by my club fills me with pride every time I think about it.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Game 1 was chosen 3 biggest moment of 2010 by ALPHA magazine

well up on Grand final 2

although I was surprised that BJ's mark was down at #47

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
spert
Saintsational Legend

That GF loss really did me in and I can't watch a replay- I was there expecting a real shoot-out, and instead saw a total capitulation. All I got from the 2010 finals campaign was that Goddard, Hayes, Gwilt and maybe Zac, have the necessary drive and cool-heads to succeed at finals level, the rest need a lot of work- captain included, and thats a lot of players.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:That GF loss really did me in and I can't watch a replay- I was there expecting a real shoot-out, and instead saw a total capitulation. All I got from the 2010 finals campaign was that Goddard, Hayes, Gwilt and maybe Zac, have the necessary drive and cool-heads to succeed at finals level, the rest need a lot of work- captain included, and thats a lot of players.
I'd say Dawson yes not a maybe, and Dempster too IMO.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Goddard and Hayes were absolutely exceptional, not to mention inspirational! I thought we had it in GF1. So bloody close!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I should have added Hayes to my list, though they did run him off his feet in the replay, and no one stood up to help out sadly.

saint64
Club Player

BJ and Lenny were brilliant in GF1 - no doubt about that. But we shouldn't forget the efforts of Sam Fisher and Riewoldt as well. Sam Fisher was super solid all day and Riewoldt's mark on the half back flank in the last quarter when seemingly out of the contest was crucial in allowing us to get the ball moving forward. The Pies were looking to knock the ball out of play and could have bottled things up there for quite a while.