Disappointed with the Herald Sun.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

philtee
Club Player

Well, I guess I'm guilty of keeping my own thread going, but a relevant
defamation case here is the famous Andrew Ettinghausen one.
From Wikipedia -
"During the 1991 NSWRL season Ettingshausen filed a lawsuit against the Australian HQ magazine and photographer Brett Cochrane.
Cochrane had taken a photo of Ettingshausen while he was in the shower undressed on the 1990 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain.
The magazine ran the shot in 1991 without his permission. ET successfully sued the magazine for originally $350,000 which was later reduced to $100,000 after appeal".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yes the herald sun are a disgrace. Only people on here should be able to have negative opinions about our players. They obviously hate us because the age sponsor us. I am cancelling the paper. That will really teach them a lesson.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes the herald sun are a disgrace. Only people on here should be able to have negative opinions about our players. They obviously hate us because the age sponsor us. I am cancelling the paper. That will really teach them a lesson.
It's nothing new but that paper's reportage is disgraceful. Facts are interspersed with gossip to make the latter seem relevant to the former and angles are slanted heavily towards the scandalous.

That we are always in it as a club for often the wrong kind of news is simply equally annoying.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes the herald sun are a disgrace. Only people on here should be able to have negative opinions about our players. They obviously hate us because the age sponsor us. I am cancelling the paper. That will really teach them a lesson.
It's nothing new but that paper's reportage is disgraceful. Facts are interspersed with gossip to make the latter seem relevant to the former and angles are slanted heavily towards the scandalous.

That we are always in it as a club for often the wrong kind of news is simply equally annoying.

It is very easily fixed. Dont read it as i dont read the age. Better still the club needs to do the right things.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

It is very easily fixed. Dont read it as i dont read the age. Better still the club needs to do the right things.
I actually don't seek it out anymore but glance its way enough to know the standard's slipped in a steep and rapid downward spiral.

The most annoying aspect for me is that the sport is choc full of gossip dressed as comment or news and they think if Sheahan churns out 150 words of fence sitting puff then that gets them over the quality line. It's transparent as.

What irks you about The Age? God if Emma Quayle, Jake Niall or Greg Baum get on your goat you're gonna be a hard one to please...

Or is it the front bit that s***s you?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:... I am cancelling the paper...
I doubt it. Where would you be able to get your daily dose of bile, prejudice and hate?
... i dont read the age...
I'm shocked. Not enough pics I suppose.

Perhaps we should have a Christmas competition. Find a post of yours, longer than three words, that doesn't contain either a spelling or grammatical error. Despite my age, I continue to be amused by those who criticise others for accuracy and yet are amongst the worst spellers on earth. That's buyers of the HUN for you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I actually don't seek it out anymore but glance its way enough to know the standard's slipped in a steep and rapid downward spiral.

The most annoying aspect for me is that the sport is choc full of gossip dressed as comment or news and they think if Sheahan churns out 150 words of fence sitting puff then that gets them over the quality line. It's transparent as.

What irks you about The Age? God if Emma Quayle, Jake Niall or Greg Baum get on your goat you're gonna be a hard one to please...

Or is it the front bit that s***s you?
No sporting part of a paper s***s me. The Age is just far to big. Anyway i like Herals Sun. Sorry am allowed to say that here. It seems amazing that a paper that out sells the other 3 to 1 doesnt seem to be read by any Saints supporters. I think a few need to come out of the closet.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint1974 wrote:Just cancelled my subscription, absolutely a gutter trash paper this has become.
I too shook my head in amazement at the stories written today,not balanced what so ever.
Did any of these so called journalists go to the Nicks press conference.
I suppose truth does not sell papers.
No longer a reader of gutter trash journalism if you wrote a story present both sides.
Would you have canceled if the photos had of been of Didak ?
Personally I would have extended my subscription.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

Perhaps we should have a Christmas competition. Find a post of yours, longer than three words, that doesn't contain either a spelling or grammatical error. Despite my age, I continue to be amused by those who criticise others for accuracy and yet are amongst the worst spellers on earth. That's buyers of the HUN for you.
I don't bother with the Age because I'm sick of rapping my knuckles on the dunny walls.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

people should know better than to buy the herald scum in the first place.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:... I am cancelling the paper...
I doubt it. Where would you be able to get your daily dose of bile, prejudice and hate?

You really are a fool. When do ever criticize spelling? As for bile prejudice and hate, you must have me confused with someone else. I am never any of those. Anyway i dont know why I am answering you. You quit this site with one of the sookiest efforts ever. What was it again. Someone else started doing the coaches voting. I must say that is hilarious especially since it seems you are not a young person.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 22 Dec 2010 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:people should know better than to buy the herald scum in the first place.
Is it ok to read someone else's? or the one at McDonalds?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Sainternist wrote:people should know better than to buy the herald scum in the first place.
Is it ok to read someone else's? or the one at McDonalds?
yep, read it for free when there's nothing else to read. i did it just this evening as i was waiting for my chinese take-away haha...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I buy the H/S once a week. It's printed with soy based inks, so you can shred it and add it to your compost. It attracts worms, and adds great texture and fibre to your humus.

However, when I want accurate journalism, I scrape the s*** out of the chook shed, and wait for it to talk to me. There's a far greater chance of success.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately for us on this occasion but;

SEX SCANDALS SELL NEWSPAPERS

SEX SCANDALS INVOLVING AFL PLAYERS SELL EVEN MORE NEWSPAPERS

I would suggest that the HS has acheived their objectives. The only thing that would make it better for them would be of it was Collingwood players involved !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:I buy the H/S once a week. It's printed with soy based inks, so you can shred it and add it to your compost. It attracts worms, and adds great texture and fibre to your humus.

However, when I want accurate journalism, I scrape the s*** out of the chook shed, and wait for it to talk to me. There's a far greater chance of success.
Very good. :D

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

satchmo wrote:I buy the H/S once a week. It's printed with soy based inks, so you can shred it and add it to your compost. It attracts worms, and adds great texture and fibre to your humus.

SOY- BASED INKS - now I have heard everything.
:P :roll: :lol: :lol:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Unfortunately for us on this occasion but;

I would suggest that the HS has acheived their objectives. The only thing that would make it better for them would be of it was Collingwood players involved !!
Funnily enough Easty I agree. Not a good era to be an AFL player so it seems. You guys this week, who knows next week.

Im sure Collingwood is in the barrel.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

dals_da_bomb wrote:there is no thruth currently.

there is her truth, Roos truth, your truth, my truth.
The reporters truth, the readers truth.

the only fats are what appears in the photos. Given that there seems to be no agreed truth on Roos photo, lets have a stab at the truth of Dals.

I dont miss that point at all. As far as im concerned there is no point at all.
Very good...was that a Freudian slip...did we see any 'fats' in the photos?
Won't say anything about mongrels, or half a mongrel.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:

Funnily enough Easty I agree. Not a good era to be an AFL player so it seems. You guys this week, who knows next week.

Im sure Collingwood is in the barrel.
Absolutely right eastern...

but johnpeterbudge...

Collingwood may be in the gun but I somehow think we won't see any C'wood players nude (Thank G*D...who would want to see Beames with his ugly tats?). Eddie has either paid everyone or got his connections to put the frighteners on the people involved or both.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Re: Disappointed with the Herald Sun.

philtee wrote:The HS is loving the nude pics story, and is riding it for all it's worth.
Well, it's a Murdoch paper in a competitive environment, and any story that combines footy, sex and social media is irresistible to
a certain type of newspaper.

But three things in today's HS are very unfair -
Susie O'Brien's column - "I can't help thinking that once again this is another example of well-paid high-profile sportsmen acting like
little boys." That is - this is all the players' fault.

Patrick Carlyon's on-line opinion piece -
"But what the photo does imply is a mindset better associated with the antics of 13-year-olds, at boarding school". That is - it's all Nick's fault.

And the uninformed comments from "Gorgeous" Ruby Rose at her talent agency's Xmas bash, printed as being an
authoritative comment - "I don't want to see (those photos) again,
and why did he let someone do that ?". That is - it was Nick's fault.

It would appear that the HS has chosen sides in this affair, and they are certainly not with St Kilda.
Yeah saw the HS...the Ruby Rose thing almost made me hurl. I can't stand her. I mean who is she anyway? Someone who spins a few disks...so what?
Everyone knows she bats for the other team so of course she wouldn't like the pics.It'd be different if it was the Melbourne Vixens or the NSW Swifts!
Anyway with all those ugly tats she probably favours Collingwood anyway.

avid
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:balanced reporting? How an you possibly find anythng balanced in this mess.

and can i stop reading that they wont to rip us a new one.
The have confirmed as well as this girl that they refused to publish the photos we they were offered to them.
Even though the public seem to love it.
again you miss the point

WANT balanced and truthful reporting

but todays media that appears irrelevent
I thought Karen Kissane in the Age today (Wed) was a pretty impressive example of balanced reporting.
-- Not ridiculing any point of view in the matter, not privileging any player. And not bland but insightful.
This is rare in any media today (and non-existannt at the Hun).
It was good, fair-minded, informative analysis. We can then make up our own minds down the track as to who's "truth" in the matter we actually side with.

(I thought Roo's explanation of events was pretty impressive too.)

SirDog
Club Player

Bingo Eastern - right on the money! The HS is the highest-circulating daily newspaper in Australia and have got there for a reason. Successful media outlets are interested in one thing - to make money. If they don't do that, journalists, editors etc are out of a job. How do they make money? By utilising whats called a media beat up. Get the story, spin it, inflame it or build it up in order to sell papers at all costs.

The complaint about balanced reporting or lack of, is valid but is of little interest to the HS. Balanced reporting is like a rare diamond these days, it really is more about opinion, tilt or bias. The HS would abide by the motto "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story".

This rubbish will eventually disappear as the story will get stale and become a shadow to another scandal or saga of some shape or variety that will feed the ignorant masses.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
Furphy
Club Player

Two things the media love, sex scandals & trapped underground after landslide stories. They can milk 'em endlessly!