Caroline Wilson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

resaintlee
Club Player

Could the treatment we receive from the hun be due to the fact we are sponsored by The Age? This has happened before.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Could the treatment we receive from the hun be due to the fact we are sponsored by The Age? This has happened before.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-saints

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Never forget this about Derryn Hinch: in one of his innumerable autobiographies (has anyone tried to mythologise himself as much as this gasbag mediocrity?) he admitting to wanking so often as teenager that his wizzer bled.

Methinks he's still hard at it.
No doubt that hinch has blood on his hands.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:What she is pointing out, is not whether the club is under seige or not, but how far removed this message was from both Greg and Rossy's speeches at the AGM.
Not exactly. She is painting Riewoldt's stance as a myth and paranoid, and her argument about a division only works if you buy into her half-baked claims that the club has a problem.

In the end it's a mud-slinging exercise on her behalf, proving Riewoldt correct.
Last edited by InkerSaint on Sat 05 Feb 2011 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
resaintlee wrote:Could the treatment we receive from the hun be due to the fact we are sponsored by The Age? This has happened before.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-saints
People continually raise this point but it's pretty irrelevant.

99.9% of people wouldn't even know there was any connection between the club and the paper. Most Saints supporters wouldn't know if not for the subscription offers. I can't even see any recognition on our website (at a quick glance)

If "The Age" was emblazoned across the back of our jumper, and were pouring in millions of dollars, then maybe they might be tempted to show us in a better light.

As far as I can tell the are a minor sponsor, and for all I know may have similar arrangements with some of the other AFL clubs.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It doesn't bother people that the Saints have denied wrongdoing regarding the other NZ incident for days, even to the point of mentioning it at the AGM, radio.

Yet now days later, have launched an internal investigation into it?

The admin just go about things back the front, and it hurts the external image, might not bother Saints fans....you've already been won over for your Saints life.

This kind of backflip hurts the brand, and is well in the clubs control.
what were they supposed to do. one person makes an accusation. The club then asks the players if it was true, they say no, so they do not investigate. That sounds ok to me.

But now that there is more witnesses. Something now is not right. Were the players lying or not? So now there is an investigation. It does not seem backwards to me. yYu have to trust your players and belive in them, but only so far. Now they have to find out what the hell happened. Maybe it is not gilbert and some other player and is now too scared to tell the truth. who knows.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:What she is pointing out, is not whether the club is under seige or not, but how far removed this message was from both Greg and Rossy's speeches at the AGM.
Not exactly. She is painting Riewoldt's stance as a myth and paranoid, and her argument about a division only works if you buy into her half-baked claims that the club has a problem.

In the end it's a mud-slinging exercise on her behalf, proving Riewoldt correct.
I don't agree here Inkersaint, she is painting Roo's speech as far removed from the other senior club officials, and it was.

It is unfortunate that captain Nick Riewoldt chose Thursday night's annual general meeting to contradict the mood of the club's leaders and that of the AFL community.

It was disappointing coming after the club - certainly the chairman and the chief executive - had finally admitted it had a problem and the senior players themselves had come down hard on the four who showed so little regard for the Saints' reputation, not to mention the business end of the pre-season.

If you maintain the club has made no error of judgement or made any mistakes, why on earth did Ross (correctly) acknowledge such?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

I don't agree here Inkersaint, she is painting Roo's speech as far removed from the other senior club officials, and it was.

It is unfortunate that captain Nick Riewoldt chose Thursday night's annual general meeting to contradict the mood of the club's leaders and that of the AFL community.

It was disappointing coming after the club - certainly the chairman and the chief executive - had finally admitted it had a problem and the senior players themselves had come down hard on the four who showed so little regard for the Saints' reputation, not to mention the business end of the pre-season.

If you maintain the club has made no error of judgement or made any mistakes, why on earth did Ross (correctly) acknowledge such?
You read it one way I another.
Ross and Greg acknowledge players within the group need to improve their behaviour, Roo doesn't dispute this but merely states the obvious by saying the media is making mountains out of molehills, and calls the players to arms. It's a footy club, and it's his opinion.
And then Caro and other paid commentators (read gossip columists) connect the dots however wildy, add some unsubstantiated BS and here's the article. She's quite irrelevent really, i read two lines, went to the end and shook my head I wouldn't get the 30 seconds back into my life.

Ross, Greg and Roo were all good and all appropriate.
The real media stands up when big Mike states, that only when you win the premiership does this all then not matter, puts their integrity into perspective IMO.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The reality is Caro used to be an AFL journo heavywieght... She used to have sources that were deep and spot on, and her articles were factually sound, accurate and hard hitting....

Her time in the sun has passed.. Many of her sources arn't as secure as they used to be, and she has had a few stuff ups in recent times, with 2010 being a particularly poor year for her...

She has now resorted to the attention grabbing, gutter tripe that is in todays paper... This was always below her, but she is a smart(ish) lady, and realises that she has to move with the times, and stoop to this level...

Bad luck for her...

With regard to the arugment about the Saints being treated unfairly, I tend to be from the Johnny Member's school of thought of the media talk being overrated rubbish that is irrelevant to the team I love to watch and support, mixed with a bit of plugger66's 'the world is fair and balanced and we bring everything on ourselves' position...

However, it is difficult to justify the brushing over of the Collingwood rape scandal, which in comparison to us, got such little attention, it might not even have occured...

For such a serious allegation/issue, it was a blip on the radar compared to the 'schoolgirl' rubbish, and then disappeared as quickly as it came (paron the pun), whilst ours continues to drag on...

This media anomaly really does make me wonder?!!.....

GSG
Club Player

Scottish Saint wrote:Caroline Wilson reckons we're paranoid and then demonstrates why by mentioning that Gilbert and Armitage had sex with The Teenager but forgets anout Dayne Beams.

This week a Richmond player tested positive for a performance enhancing drug - surely far worse than anything the Fab Four did in NZ. Imagine if that had been a St Kilda player. Drunk Richmond players were fighting each other in a Sydney hotel last year. Where are the stories about Richmond's cultural problems?
I could add a few more things. Have you noticed that Brendan Fevola is always referred to as Brendan Fevola, never as the Brisbane Lions player/former Carlton player Brendan Fevola. Yet when they talk about Andrew Lovett it is always the former St. Kilda player, even though the guy has never played a game for St. Kilda. From that perspective it should be the former Essendon player, where he play a lot of games and the club who could not control him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Funny that 90% of the media are against us at the moment afterall we have done nothing wrong. The other thing that is funny is I have been told only the Herald Sun hate us. I reckon it is about time some of us here got those chips off our shoulders and realise if the club hadnt stuffed up there would be nothing to write about.

Maybe if we stop looking for excuses and blaming others we would walk straighter instead of going around in circles because of the chip.

I thought the naming of the two player and stating they had sex with a 16 year old was pathetic.

Maybe she should look at the law... They werent named originally because they did nothing wrong... Maybe she wants the law changed...

The article begins attacking the club for their speeches thursday night, and quickly turns into a feminist pointed attack - clearly she couldnt help herself.

And I would like to ask all those proposed that the situation should have been handled better (one being wilson)... How would you have handled it better... It got to a point where she finially stopped once threatened with legal action.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The reality is,they're all f*****,and you're just going to get angry reading there articles. Same with talk back radio.

My SEN addiction has been cured,and I save $1.30 a day on papers now.

I actually even enjoyed it when this place was down. I can't help myself though when it's back online..

It's going to be a very angry year for saints fans, the heckling will be intense,and we have zero to come back at them. People need to find a way to distance themselves from all the media and bogan public spotlight thrown at us atm and this year,otherwise you'll blow a woofer valve!! We can't win this one...not until we hold aloft the cup,and I won't hold my breath waiting

Bring back the Lockett era
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

This week he called the bloke in NZ and without knowing anything about him, immediately took the view that he was telling the truth and that the grubby Saints were covering it up.

He then took calls from people with the same agenda and basically attacked the club's sponsors and those who may seek to become sponsors. He even had a direct dig at Linen House, their support of Nick and that advertising campaign of "sleep like a Saint".

What really p..sed me off was he then said that our sponsor is now known around the traps as "Dirty Linen House" and started snickering. Now maybe I have been on the moon myself but I have not heard this to be the case.
If that's true (of Hinch) then it's a radio blowhard with a substantial audience purposely trying to inflict financial damage on a sponsor-less AFL club.

It's outrageous. It's happening on the very station to which Caroline Wilson contributes.

And it's proof -- unfortunately but indisputably -- that what Riewoldt said was right.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

As fans, we sure know how to play the victim.

I thought Caroline Wilson's editorial explained her point of view quite well.

Some things I agreed with, others I didn't.

But it's her view. It's not a report; it's her take on the situation. You can disagree with it, you don't even have to read it. But it's her view and she's entitled to have it.

We need to get over this ridiculous victim mentality. It's time we, as a club, grew up once and for all.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
This week he called the bloke in NZ and without knowing anything about him, immediately took the view that he was telling the truth and that the grubby Saints were covering it up.

He then took calls from people with the same agenda and basically attacked the club's sponsors and those who may seek to become sponsors. He even had a direct dig at Linen House, their support of Nick and that advertising campaign of "sleep like a Saint".

What really p..sed me off was he then said that our sponsor is now known around the traps as "Dirty Linen House" and started snickering. Now maybe I have been on the moon myself but I have not heard this to be the case.
If that's true (of Hinch) then it's a radio blowhard with a substantial audience purposely trying to inflict financial damage on a sponsor-less AFL club.

It's outrageous. It's happening on the very station to which Caroline Wilson contributes.

And it's proof -- unfortunately but indisputably -- that what Riewoldt said was right.
It's 100% true!

I nearly ran off the road in rage listening to this idiot! This goes far beyond any excuse of keeping clubs honest. His terse response and cutting off of a woman who rang to defend the club, and who dared to suggest his project girl (KD) may not always tell the truth was appalling. Later when Greg Hutchinson rang to explain the club's position he attacked him aggressively, dismissing all that GH said before cutting him off for the News.

I can't speak for all the media however Hinch undoubtedly has a vendetta against the Saints, fueled by his desperate desire to once again be relevant in a world that has long gone past him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Funny that 90% of the media are against us at the moment afterall we have done nothing wrong. The other thing that is funny is I have been told only the Herald Sun hate us. I reckon it is about time some of us here got those chips off our shoulders and realise if the club hadnt stuffed up there would be nothing to write about.

Maybe if we stop looking for excuses and blaming others we would walk straighter instead of going around in circles because of the chip.

I thought the naming of the two player and stating they had sex with a 16 year old was pathetic.

Maybe she should look at the law... They werent named originally because they did nothing wrong... Maybe she wants the law changed...

The article begins attacking the club for their speeches thursday night, and quickly turns into a feminist pointed attack - clearly she couldnt help herself.

And I would like to ask all those proposed that the situation should have been handled better (one being wilson)... How would you have handled it better... It got to a point where she finially stopped once threatened with legal action.
I just read the article, and actually thought it was reasonably fair. People talk about the saints bubble, but I am convinced that most of our supporters live in the same bubble. The article is far more measured than say Hinch or Walls and several others that have been written. All she's basically saying is that Riewoldt is out of step with how most in society view the saints at the moment. Painting us as the victims in all this, is not winning us any friends, and the broader footy public now view the saints not only as misbehaved but a bunch of sooks as a result of Roo's little speech.

You ask Spinner how the club could have handled the situation better? Well there was robust debate at the time on this very site about how the situation was handled. Standing on the steps of the Supreme Court threatening to make her pay until she is past 30yrs of age did exactly what CW said it did. Shifted the sympathy straight from the players involved to the club and made us look like bullies. She's a 17 year old kid - I fail to understand why the club couldn't have just taken out an injunction about the pictures being shown and sought immediate mediation.

The players have been crucified in the past 3 months - some unfairly some not. People have taken bits and pieces from the article that they haven't liked, but overall I thought the article was well written. I didn't agree with everything in it, but I didn't disagree with everything in it. Whether we like it or not, her opinion reflects what many average punters are saying about us. I've always believed that it's very rare that EVERYONE is wrong.

Interesting point too about our player welfare manager and other resources not being able to cope with these issues as they have been stretched in other areas. Makes sense considering how we have probably been putting all our eggs into the basket of footy and don't have the finances to adequately cope with everything like say the pies. No shame to admit that we have poss got a few things wrong in the last 2 years. I have been a big wrap for Lyon and the footy admin in the past 3 years, but why can't we admit that not everything's perfect at the saints? The only place we seem to be able to admit it is on here where arguments flame. Heaven help anyone not connected to the club who has the audacity to attack or even comment negatively of our club (especially a woman)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Just a quick point on Hinch.

He's not a journalist, he's paid to be sensationalist. Who cares what he says? Rational people don't. Idiots listen to commercial talkback radio and shock-jocks.

Are you an idiot?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I just read the article, and actually thought it was reasonably fair. People talk about the saints bubble, but I am convinced that most of our supporters live in the same bubble. The article is far more measured than say Hinch or Walls and several others that have been written. All she's basically saying is that Riewoldt is out of step with how most in society view the saints at the moment. Painting us as the victims in all this, is not winning us any friends, and the broader footy public now view the saints not only as misbehaved but a bunch of sooks as a result of Roo's little speech.

You ask Spinner how the club could have handled the situation better? Well there was robust debate at the time on this very site about how the situation was handled. Standing on the steps of the Supreme Court threatening to make her pay until she is past 30yrs of age did exactly what CW said it did. Shifted the sympathy straight from the players involved to the club and made us look like bullies. She's a 17 year old kid - I fail to understand why the club couldn't have just taken out an injunction about the pictures being shown and sought immediate mediation.

The players have been crucified in the past 3 months - some unfairly some not. People have taken bits and pieces from the article that they haven't liked, but overall I thought the article was well written. I didn't agree with everything in it, but I didn't disagree with everything in it. Whether we like it or not, her opinion reflects what many average punters are saying about us. I've always believed that it's very rare that EVERYONE is wrong.

Interesting point too about our player welfare manager and other resources not being able to cope with these issues as they have been stretched in other areas. Makes sense considering how we have probably been putting all our eggs into the basket of footy and don't have the finances to adequately cope with everything like say the pies. No shame to admit that we have poss got a few things wrong in the last 2 years. I have been a big wrap for Lyon and the footy admin in the past 3 years, but why can't we admit that not everything's perfect at the saints? The only place we seem to be able to admit it is on here where arguments flame. Heaven help anyone not connected to the club who has the audacity to attack or even comment negatively of our club (especially a woman)
Excellently written.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Just a quick point on Hinch.

He's not a journalist, he's paid to be sensationalist. Who cares what he says? Rational people don't. Idiots listen to commercial talkback radio and shock-jocks.

Are you an idiot?
No I'm not an idiot Professor Highbrow and thank you very much for the unsolicited insult!

I was listening as I knew he would be talking crap and I wanted to hear it first hand. It's called being interested in what's going on.

And while you're quick to dismiss him as a shock jock, which of course he is, he has a fair profile and audience and his comments can still potentially hurt our chances at signing/retaining sponsors.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Just a quick point on Hinch.

Are you an idiot?
Would have thought the same idiots read editorials in sports sections, pretty much the same views.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 1ah0w.html

go flower yourself ms wilson...because i'm f****** sure no-one else will..... you're just another scum reporter....and a pretty lousy one at that.... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

oh ffs.....stfu would you.....your continued defence of the scummie press in this town is actually pathetic.....no saints supporter would go on and on with the rubbish you trott out on a daily basis......why don't you f*** off to eddie park..... :roll: :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Even if one was to take the plugger view on this, that it is all the club's fault and that the media is simply reporting it, a reasonable person, IMO, would at least have to accept it's overkill.

These stories are out there, and unless you've been living on the moon, you would know every minute detail of the allegations.

Surely there is no need for a dozen new articles, from a dozen different "journos" every single day. We don't need to get the views of everyone from Barack Obama to Barry the butcher. Without blindly supporting everything the club has or hasn't done in recent times, this IS overkill.

On the otherhand the Hinch stuff is pure crap and I simply cannot justify his commentary as anything else. He has got it in for us ever since he took up the crusade for KD. This week he called the bloke in NZ and without knowing anything about him, immediately took the view that he was telling the truth and that the grubby Saints were covering it up.

What really p..sed me off was he then said that our sponsor is now known around the traps as "Dirty Linen House" and started snickering. Now maybe I have been on the moon myself but I have not heard this to be the case. The bloke is just a dirty piece of s..t who will not stop until we sack our Board, our coach, half our players and lose all our sponsors!

A dirty piece of s..t :evil:
the prick's terminally ill......but i won't be saying any prayers for him....or shedding a tear when he meets his maker....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:

What if our boys are correct...Gilbert and co did not know her from school, thought she was a 19yr old model and she was impregnated by another man or worse she was not pregnant....

Where's our voice plugger as you appear to be negating all things positive st kilda

Walk straighter?? you mean walk straighter when copping it up the rrrs
Something you never do....always responding to critizism of yourself hypocrit

you are pretty spot on bb...

from her own mouth....she said she was 19...lived in canberra and was attending the ais.....how the f*** could they think she was a school girl they met a couple of weeks before.... :roll:

she also said that an afl player coersed her into having group sex.....NOT either of the saints players......so more than 3 afl players have had sex with her.....
Last edited by stinger on Sat 05 Feb 2011 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

oh ffs.....stfu would you.....your continued defence of the scummie press in this town is actually pathetic.....no saints supporter would go on and on with the rubbish you trott out on a daily basis......why don't you f*** off to eddie park..... :roll: :roll:
Havent heard from you in a while old man cleaner. The most hilarous thing about you is that you pretend to be lawyer and they have even less respect then any press person. At least if you were honest and told everyone you were a very older cleaner you may get more respect.

By the way old person what has Eddie got to do with me?