The Fallout of the 'Off-Season From Hell'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The Fallout of the 'Off-Season From Hell'

Looks like we're getting another major sponsor, and that the exiting one is signing up for another few years.

I think we've got 30,000 members.

No players have left.

So from all this 'trouble', what's been the impact? Have I missed something or has yet another off-season media frenzy got everyone worried for no reason?

I always wonder that the media and the public mean when they use the term 'trouble' in relation to off-field stuff.

Why is it trouble?

Apart from the papers being on your case, and every other team's wanker supporters teasing you, what is ever the actual consequence of this stuff?

People seem to react as if it's going to be the end of the club and the joint will fold. West Coast, Carlton, Collingwood and just about every club in the AFL has had big 'trouble' off-field, but nothing has ever come of it.

So what do you guys think? Did everyone overreact? Or will there be an impact down the track that I've missed?

St Lenny
Club Player

The media definately over reacted and opposition supporters never need much fuel to react, but don't under estimated the damage done. Its been a very bad summer for the Saints, in fact it started Christmas Eve 2009.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:The media definately over reacted and opposition supporters never need much fuel to react, but don't under estimated the damage done. Its been a very bad summer for the Saints, in fact it started Christmas Eve 2009.
So what do you think the damage is?

I assume you're not talking about on-field damage?

Or are you just referring to the general image of the club?

saintlee
Club Player

Lets not kid ourselves, the past 2 pre-seasons have been shocking for the club's image, especially this years.... We are basically a laughing stock at the moment, and I think it will take some time for our image to be repaired.....I suspect our membership numbers will be down on last year's too....

spert
Saintsational Legend

We have to recover and then build a lot of respect- not winning any of our three consecutive GFs is bad enough, but all our stupid player behaviour leaving themselves wide-open to scrutiny, is just a bit too much. These guys are being paid huge sums of money as professional sportsmen in the public spotlight, and just don't seem to get it. We have to start this season by making a statement on the field and hope that puts the other crap in the background.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Fallout of the 'Off-Season From Hell'

Johnny Member wrote:So what do you guys think? Did everyone overreact? Or will there be an impact down the track that I've missed?
not everything can be measured in dollars and cents. the impact is one of public perception. if you don't care about that, then there's no impact. but let's not pretend that everything that's happened around the club in the last couple of years has been positive.

Finna
Club Player

My only concern is that the players preparation might be disrupted by all the BS.

As for image, public perception and all that stuff - I dont think it matters a bit.

So long as the players are up for the challenge and they havent lost any pre-season preparation that might effect rounds 1-GF due to this utter ridiculous nonsense then I dont see any negative at all.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

It could be worse.

There's a team up North with a million dollar forward in rehab, who has just had to sack another one of their players for bad behaviour. On the balance, I'd prefer our cultural issues and coverage the their (current) lack of coverage.

For the Saints, a lot of this will disappear as soon as the games start.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
matrix
Saintsational Legend

because we will dominate!

nothing will be heard about the incidents from the off season...until it all gets dragged up in special edition GF look at the road to the GF on the tube

we'll win the flag and wont give a rats 8-)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

But surely the only reason public perception matters if it means that it negatively impacts sponsorhip and/or membership.

And I don't think either has happened.

The only other reason public perception would matter is because we as supporters will cop s*** from other supporters. If that worries us, then we need to toughen up a bit!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Lets not kid ourselves, the past 2 pre-seasons have been shocking for the club's image, especially this years.... We are basically a laughing stock at the moment, and I think it will take some time for our image to be repaired.....I suspect our membership numbers will be down on last year's too....
While I certainly wish these events had not occured, I'm not yet convinced that it will drastically affect our membership levels.

Sure some may drop off due to what some of the boys have got up to. However others, who may not have been going to sign up, may do so now in response to the relentless media attacks. Some will see this a "call to arms".

Saints fans will want to be members, not think about members, if we get off to a flyer :wink:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

matrix wrote:because we will dominate!

nothing will be heard about the incidents from the off season...until it all gets dragged up in special edition GF look at the road to the GF on the tube

we'll win the flag and wont give a rats 8-)
PLEASE Let this be the ultimate Truth!! :D :D :D

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Over the past few years, particularly the past two, the Club has been highly successful both on field and off field which, to our opponents and sections of the media, places us in the "tall poppy" category. That being the case, one will always cop the negatives on an inflated basis in order to denegrade success and knock us off the "tall poppy" pedestal.
As long as the Club, players and coaches see it this way and take little or no notice of the crap talk and all put in 100% for 2011, I believe we will once again be up there fighting for the flag.
Have faith fellow supporters I say just as Ross has, the players have and administration and Board have.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else feel like a little firre has been lit beneath them, over the past month?

Everyone was pretty flat after the GF loss. I was, and to be honest wasn't really looking forward to the new season that much.

But now it's like I've been poked and prodded to the point of being quite fired up about it!

I wonder if the players may have been handed some free motivation aswell by all this?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

WE start winning and everyone will shut up.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

And if we lose ... our off season issues will be raised constantly!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
PJ
SS Life Member

These guys are being paid huge sums of money as professional sportsmen in the public spotlight, and just don't seem to get it.
Apart from Zac and even he won't be on massive amounts I don't think these guys are in that "huge sums" category.

nude photos - pfft

School girl scandal - she's done most of the work to disarm that story

NZ -

a general "young guys" in the AFL story. Who cares about NZ anyway?

Urinating in public - unsubstantiated

Punch up - unsubstantiated

All of this will blow away once the footy starts - there'll be the odd reference to it but even journos will want to run with a fresh kill.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Does anyone else feel like a little firre has been lit beneath them, over the past month?

Everyone was pretty flat after the GF loss. I was, and to be honest wasn't really looking forward to the new season that much.

But now it's like I've been poked and prodded to the point of being quite fired up about it!

I wonder if the players may have been handed some free motivation aswell by all this?
I hope that you're right!
I have felt the same way. I was so pumped after being so close in 2009 over the summer. However I haven't given a rats ar$e until a few weeks ago. Very flat after the GF and the off field nonsense just perpetuates this feeling until a light bulb goes off.. Hmm, we've done f0ck all wrong really. Some sillyness sure. The media craves anything over the offseason to fill their papers. It's been blown up big time.

It sounds like Ross understands that he has to give some younger players more of a crack. We have some real go-ers who if they take the next step, may enable us to take the next step. Eg. Smith, armo, stevens, stanley, simpkin, mcevoy + a fit gram, raph, kosi and gardi. We also have some smokies in polo, gamble and walsh. We need that culture that if you are a senior player and you don't perform, than you're out. It has been done once or twice but we have a few fringe players who are not quite consistent enough OR are unable to play a more attacking style of footy which has been touted as what we require. An injection of goalkicking mids such as armo and stevens rotating through half forward would be great. Our younger brigade are just starting to give as some real depth across the ground for all positions except for maybe ruck.

Not even sure what this thread is about now, just having a rant :wink:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:Lets not kid ourselves, the past 2 pre-seasons have been shocking for the club's image, especially this years.... We are basically a laughing stock at the moment, and I think it will take some time for our image to be repaired.....I suspect our membership numbers will be down on last year's too....
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

St Kilda Football has hit a milestone 30,000 members, as the Club continues its quest for 45,000 Strong in 2011.

Ahead of what looks to be another huge season for the red, black and white, support for the Saints continues to grow, with 1,500 more members already signed up than at the same time last year.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter if our back six are a pack of crack addicts, just so long as they keep the opposition to five goals a game, they're heroes.

FFS. That used to be my attitude but not any more.

You are well paid to represent this outstanding football club. If you can't abide by our levels of professionalism, you aren't welcome to play for us.

And I'm a member, so this is MY club.

I'm not a pusher of ethics and morals at the best of times but some players are now blatantly showing disrespect to the members.

Our membership dollars pay for those trips to NZ, to help the players get the best from themselves. I don't want my money going to quasi-drug binges.

I want a premiership. I'm paying money to support the club I love, but in return for that, I want 100% commitment.

It's what the club demands from the members. It's now time for the members to demand that from the club.

100% commitment 100% of the time has to cut both ways.

We'll support you through thick and thin. But if the players aren't prepared to go the distance, seriously, **** off back to the local leagues and work as a plumber on the side.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Let's be honest, it doesn't matter if our back six are a pack of crack addicts, just so long as they keep the opposition to five goals a game, they're heroes.

You are well paid to represent this outstanding football club. If you can't abide by our levels of professionalism, you aren't welcome to play for us.

I'm not a pusher of ethics and morals at the best of times but some players are now blatantly showing disrespect to the members.

Our membership dollars pay for those trips to NZ, to help the players get the best from themselves. I don't want my money going to quasi-drug binges.

I want a premiership. I'm paying money to support the club I love, but in return for that, I want 100% commitment.

It's what the club demands from the members. It's now time for the members to demand that from the club.

We'll support you through thick and thin. But if the players aren't prepared to go the distance, seriously, **** off back to the local leagues and work as a plumber on the side.
Im not sure about that. If they are crack addicts they need to spend time with kids to explain why they are. If it is only dope then they are fine.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Let's be honest, it doesn't matter if our back six are a pack of crack addicts, just so long as they keep the opposition to five goals a game, they're heroes.

The sooner the game's played by robots, the happier you'll be.

Humans are untameable, mate. Regardless of the colour of their jumpers, they never have been.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

Gees a couple of kids take some sleeping pills with booze and it's "lynch 'em to the nearest tree". They got caught and good for us because now we have chance to scare the crap out of them to make better choices. What about the clubs who haven't caught their kids doing sh*t, and if you think there aren't wake up and smell the coffe. They'll go unnoticed and think they can get away with it. Our players are getting used to life in the fish bowl (bubble) and will adjust. These guys (Dawson, cahill et al) will be back and better for it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

what's wrong with being a plumber?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches