Greg Baum from The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Greg Baum from The Age

In my opinion, the best sportswriter in the business. He has this to say today:

...Ms X is the young woman at the centre of AFL football's current scandal. She is also called ''the St Kilda schoolgirl'', but should not be. She is not from St Kilda and she is not a schoolgirl. The effect of the two words together is a pejorative undertone, a dog whistle. That is the context for this whole sordid saga.

Ms X has used media, but even more has been used by media. She had a grievance, and set about gaining redress in a way that was at once highly knowing (about the power of new media) and exceedingly naive (about how she could not control that power when it was turned against her).

She thought she knew what she was doing, but she could not have understood all the likely consequences. Now, they are cruelly apparent. I can't say what she, St Kilda and the AFL should have done, but I'm certain that it would have been better done out of the spotlight. She has done herself no favours, nor any future complainant against the AFL...

Alas, the sweet voice of reason usually gets drowned out by the loud mouth rednecks who dominate our media.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Baum from The Age

perfectionist wrote:In my opinion, the best sportswriter in the business. He has this to say today:

...Ms X is the young woman at the centre of AFL football's current scandal. She is also called ''the St Kilda schoolgirl'', but should not be. She is not from St Kilda and she is not a schoolgirl. The effect of the two words together is a pejorative undertone, a dog whistle. That is the context for this whole sordid saga.

Ms X has used media, but even more has been used by media. She had a grievance, and set about gaining redress in a way that was at once highly knowing (about the power of new media) and exceedingly naive (about how she could not control that power when it was turned against her).

She thought she knew what she was doing, but she could not have understood all the likely consequences. Now, they are cruelly apparent. I can't say what she, St Kilda and the AFL should have done, but I'm certain that it would have been better done out of the spotlight. She has done herself no favours, nor any future complainant against the AFL...

Alas, the sweet voice of reason usually gets drowned out by the loud mouth rednecks who dominate our media.
Yup, the proper road is usually the middle and moderate one... but that doesn't sell papers or get people noticed.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Won't get a lot of attention on this site either - not controversial enough. However, good on ya Greg Baum

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, good on you Greg Baum.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

fantastic. Thats the point I have tried to make to anyone I know who brings up the issue. Also pointed out to media watch about how bad the media have done the hatchet on both stkilda and the women

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Best writer in the business.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

We shouldn't have to thank a journalist for being thoughtful and balanced ... but thank you, Greg Baum. You're a beacon.

The trail of destruction wrought by "Ms X" now includes a small army of sleazy, gullible, dog-whistling, pimping, super-hypocritical, self-righteous and self-aggrandizing media blowhards and barrel-scraping muck-rakers.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Surprised there's not more comment on this site.

Then again, on the money pieces don't really suit the rabble-rousers or the I-quite-like-being-offended brigade, does it?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I liked it so much, I quoted it in one of the multiple other threads the other day. :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Surprised there's not more comment on this site.

Then again, on the money pieces don't really suit the rabble-rousers or the I-quite-like-being-offended brigade, does it?
same with Neil Mitchell broadcasts over the last week..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:We shouldn't have to thank a journalist for being thoughtful and balanced ... but thank you, Greg Baum. You're a beacon.

The trail of destruction wrought by "Ms X" now includes a small army of sleazy, gullible, dog-whistling, pimping, super-hypocritical, self-righteous and self-aggrandizing media blowhards and barrel-scraping muck-rakers.
i love your turn of phrase... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Greg B*m is one of the best going round.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
beebarry
Club Player

Who will be next for crazy Kimmy Duthie ....vote here now !!

and soon to be quite a large number of police, and a leading player manager
( unless he is included as a muckraker ...which is likely unfair - hes a frizzy headed f*ck-up atm but not a dirty raker )

Who else can she drag in ? It was amazing to most that RN found himself in this situ....imagine if ....oh I dont know .. ....Nathan Buckley was to do her ....or even better ...golden boy Jim Hird .......Fev ? probably too good to be true although he IS back in Melbourne ..I would even buy the Herald Sun so I could laminate the front page if this was to happen ...Maybe we twitter a fake message to Charlie Sheen to come down and do KD .....hes at a loss and the publicity would certainly stop her being called the StK schoolgirl ....she would be Sheens death chick ...

straw poll ....who do you most want to see KD shag and ruin next ?

Demetriou ?
Malthouse ?
Macaveney ?
Cometti ?
Tony Shaw ?
Gerard Healy ?
Mark Robinson ?
Caroline Wilson ?
Lou Richards ?
Alan Didak ?
Mark Harvey ?
Brian Taylor ?
Bono ?
Obama ?

other ? ( please describe )

Go Sainters ....

BBB

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Kudos to Baum. Great article - he never disappoints.

If anyone continues to read the Herald Sun after this whole saga then they really need to think again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Kudos to Baum. Great article - he never disappoints.

If anyone continues to read the Herald Sun after this whole saga then they really need to think again.
I will be reading it and probably at least half on here whether online or buying the paper. They will say they dont but somehow know every article in the paper.

ThePunter
Club Player

There are good writers rather than good papers.

Wilson also writes for The Age.