Ross's ponderings...H-S and AGE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross's ponderings...H-S and AGE

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 6020780355...

Lyon said Alistair Smith, Jamie Cripps and Archer were the most likely to debut against the Cats.

seems likely that Daniel will be elevated for gardi's LTI

same info
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1bszv.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Its weird and pre season and all but I share hos concerns already.....we looked sluggish against Bombers and had enough quality in there to be better than what we dished up.

To me it underlines after 3 GF attempts why this team needs a fresh injection of youth, something that reignites the core and that says depth is their....

Cripps, Ledger, Smith, Stanley, Steven, Armitage....your time is NOW - sure for the younger ones thats managed and rotated...but those others have to become regular 22 players now.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:To me it underlines after 3 GF attempts why this team needs a fresh injection of youth, something that reignites the core and that says depth is their....

Cripps, Ledger, Smith, Stanley, Steven, Armitage....your time is NOW - sure for the younger ones thats managed and rotated...but those others have to become regular 22 players now.
Yep, there's got to be pressure and competition on for every spot. Get a few guys out of their comfort zones.

My hope is that it will be all right on the night, so to speak, but the signs are a little concerning thus far.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lyon throws up more smoke screen than any other coach.

From that article I read between the lines that:

Kosi won't be back before round 7.

Archer will be lifted off the rookie list.

Stanley, Steven etc. will not get a game until he feels they were punished.

He doesn't give a s*** about preseason form.

He expects them to play better in the real season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Lyon throws up more smoke screen than any other coach.

Dont think many of those things will happen or are true especially the first 3 and maybe even the fourth.

PJ
SS Life Member

On the topic of Archer it's interesting watching him go about it. It seems to me he has the potential to play a Sammy Hamill type role. He's still only young yet and has a lot of growing but with that size and aggression I wouldn't mind seeing him play a few games this season.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'm not concerned, the preseason means nothing.

I'll be concerned if we are 0 - 3 at the bye.

saintnick12
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:I'm not concerned, the preseason means nothing.

I'm not overly concerned at the moment either.

But I'll be concerned well before 0-3.

I'll be a bit concerned at 0-1 if we don't play well

If we lose to the Tigers in round 2, i'll be very concerned then..

But I'm thinking we'll be 2-0 and it will be a big match against the Bombers in round 3. We need to win that game.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shame ledger has a hammy.

will have to be at least one debut in round 1 youd think. no way they will rush kosi back. ross way too experienced for that. hes just being cagey.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:

But I'm thinking we'll be 2-0 and it will be a big match against the Bombers in round 3. We need to win that game.
More important to beat Geelong than Essendon. One will most certainly play in the finals where as the Dons will not so if we lose it is 4 points lost but no problem come finals time.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

More important to beat Geelong than Essendon. One will most certainly play in the finals where as the Dons will not so if we lose it is 4 points lost but no problem come finals time.
Don't agree that it's a given that bombers won't play finals. I think they could sneak into the bottom half of the 8 and I'd hate to play them in a final with them having beaten us so many times in a row. Even when we beat them in 2009 early they were coming home strong. We need to beat them.
Agree we need to beat Geelong in round 1 and I think we will. I

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's horses for courses. Geelong are a big bodied and experienced team. Our first game selections need to made with this in mind.
A different approach may need to be taken for the Essendon game. 8-)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

Don't agree that it's a given that bombers won't play finals. I think they could sneak into the bottom half of the 8 and I'd hate to play them in a final with them having beaten us so many times in a row. Even when we beat them in 2009 early they were coming home strong. We need to beat them.
Agree. Essendon could easily make the finals, especially if they continue to play mostly like they have so far this year.
With Fletcher, Pears and Hooker down back, Hille and Ryder in the ruck and Hurley and Gumbleton, with the other of Hille/Ryder, up forward, they have quality "talls" all over the ground, which is a great start, plus one of the best in the centre in Watson, plus heaps of running power.
They made the finals just 18 months ago and they look to have a much better and much better balanced game-plan now.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think Smith is the only chance of a debut.

Has really improved his size. Very impressed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

Agree. Essendon could easily make the finals, especially if they continue to play mostly like they have so far this year.
With Fletcher, Pears and Hooker down back, Hille and Ryder in the ruck and Hurley and Gumbleton, with the other of Hille/Ryder, up forward, they have quality "talls" all over the ground, which is a great start, plus one of the best in the centre in Watson, plus heaps of running power.
They made the finals just 18 months ago and they look to have a much better and much better balanced game-plan now.
I dont get it though. The pre season doesnt count when we lose but we count the form of Essendon in it. If they are to make it firstly they must replace a side and secondly sides above them that missed out must improve less than Essendon like Melbourne for example.

saintnick12
Club Player

Not saying they will definately make it, just saying you can't rule it out. They made it in 09 and got smashed. Seem to have developed a few of their younger players since then.
Definately think they could sneak into the bottom half and I certainly wouldn't want to play them in a final.

Round three will be a big game. Roo's 200th as well if all goes well

defacto
Club Player

reality is archer will get a game in round 1 before stanley. i cant believe how many saints supporters have pumped him up to be the messiah. dont get me wrong, i think he has the potential to be a superstar. but he has not shown it yet. he also hasnt had any of the pre season prep that archer has had.

lyon will play archer before stanley for the first couple of games in the season.

rushing kosi back is a concern. it tells me lyon is worried about archer's ability to ruck and support mcevoy.

sluggish start i have to agree with but at this stage theres nothing to worry about. if anything he is putting the rocket up the players by putting it in the paper. if there was a real problem he wouldnt have mentioned it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugg the only person you ever agree with is yourself

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

I dont get it though. The pre season doesnt count when we lose but we count the form of Essendon in it. If they are to make it firstly they must replace a side and secondly sides above them that missed out must improve less than Essendon like Melbourne for example.
The only thing is I don't agree that our pre-season form "doesn't count". I very much doubt we've intended to play as poorly and score as little as we have in the last two weeks. In our game against them we put up the white flag after a while, but initially they blew us away, again.
As for Essendon making the finals and who would have to drop out, from last year, etc, anything can happen. If they win enough games they'll make the 8. They have the advantage over teams like Melbourne that they're more used to winning and have Hird in charge, with Bomber Thompson next to him, and they know all about winning. Melbourne are still learning how to do it, so to speak.
A lot will depend on how Hurley and Gumbleton progress at Essendon. Hurley, especially, has the tools to have a career like a Chris Grant, or even Carey (less likely, though) and if he starts to produce on a regular basis this year and they don't get too many injuries, they could certainly make the 8, especially with the wave of excitement pushing them along. Hurley marks strongly, is aggressive and strong and has the ability to kick it 50m plus, on both feet, like Carey. He also has the confidence to produce the goods, which is something that can hold back those who don't have it, like Kosi. Gumbleton also has plenty going for him.
I think losing to Collingwood on the weekend will also be a lot better for them this season than if they'd won. Winning may have taken away some of their hunger, at least for those supporting them, but now they'll still have it. Their difficult draw at the start of the year may derail them, though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

The only thing is I don't agree that our pre-season form "doesn't count". In our game against them we put up the white flag after a while, but initially they blew us away, again.
As for Essendon making the finals and who would have to drop out, from last year, etc, anything can happen. If they win enough games they'll make the 8. They have the advantage over teams like Melbourne that they're more used to winning and have Hird in charge, with Bomber Thompson next to him, and they know all about winning. Melbourne are still learning how to do it, so to speak.
A lot will depend on how Hurley and Gumbleton progress at Essendon. Hurley, especially, has the tools to have a career like a Chris Grant, or even Carey (less likely, though) and if he starts to produce on a regular basis this year and they don't get too many injuries, they could certainly make the 8, especially with the wave of excitement pushing them along. Hurley marks strongly, is aggressive and strong and has the ability to kick it 50m plus, on both feet, like Carey. He also has the confidence to produce the goods, which is something that can hold back those who don't have it, like Kosi.
They may have good talls with potential but their midfield is average at the very best and IMO that is the area that wins enough games to get into finals and then win finals.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Surely it's better than the midfield they had 18 months ago, that got them into the finals? I don't remember anyone in there retiring or leaving and the ones that were there then are now two years more advanced/experienced. And I haven't suggested that they'd win a final.
On paper their team is a fair bit better than 2 years ago, IMO, plus they look to have a much better game plan, plus the momentum, hype, etc pushing them along.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Lyon throws up more smoke screen than any other coach.

Dont think many of those things will happen or are true especially the first 3 and maybe even the fourth.
A+

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was just suggesting Ross talks in riddles. He is cagey and often sends misinformation out for his own amusement or just to confuse supporters and media.

When he says Kosi may be rushed back, I take that as meaning he is a fair way off.

Stanley hasn't had any preseason games and unless he has come out this year and torn the ruck up at Sandy, he is not playing.

Anyway I was just rossing with you, just amusing myself with translating from the book of Lyonisms.

Quixote
SS Life Member

If anyone thinks Archer is currently up to AFL standard they should have their heads read.

Stanley is playing Rnd 1 no doubts about it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
defacto
Club Player

anyone who thinks stanley is ready to ruck at an AFL standard needs to get their head checked. theres no much difference between a stanley and an archer. in fact at this stage, archer probably is a head on match conditioning.

i dont know why people pump stanley up as the messiah. he has potential but he is by no means a superstar yet or a best 22.