I was asked this question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I was asked this question

The lovely lady at the ANZ Bank at Werribee Plaza who I usually go to on a Thursday evening to do some banking knows i'm a passionate Saints fan.
She asked me if I was looking forward to the football season?
I actually had to think taking into account the results of the last 2 seasons and replied, ask me again at the end of September, though technically I should have said after the first Saturday of October.
I'm sure I will enjoy our wins, hopefully starting this Friday night, but in reality, until we win that last game of the season, I can't see myself really enjoying a season after the agony of being so close two years in a row.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Probably an understandable emotion.

But for me I've never needed a flag to enjoy watching the Saints. Don't get me wrong; I want one; I want one real bad. And I wish certain events over the last 2 years hadn't happened.

But the GF is one game in a six month season and Ii personally enjoy the experience of going each week. I love meeting my mates before the game and downing a few pots. And then the enjoyment or walking to the ground and awaiting the first bounce. The fact we've won far more games than we've lost in recent years only adds to the enjoyment.

Each to their own of course but I eagerly await next Friday night for the footy, and the enjoyment, to start again :D

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you Doc, I enjoy all Saints games. Obviously wins increase the enjoyment.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

same
its the journey thru the year for me
booking every friday night game off from work
getting the fire lit and cracking a bottle of red with the girl maybe.
donning the saints tshirt and cranking the bigscreen
counting down the weeks till the finals and planning the drive over to catch up with peeps and have a few beers and a feed before the games

obviously the journey being topped off with lenny and roo holding up a prem cup would be the cherry on the top.

ahhh
bring it on...im looking forward to it, the highs and the lows. 8-)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Probably an understandable emotion.

But for me I've never needed a flag to enjoy watching the Saints. Don't get me wrong; I want one; I want one real bad. And I wish certain events over the last 2 years hadn't happened.

But the GF is one game in a six month season and Ii personally enjoy the experience of going each week. I love meeting my mates before the game and downing a few pots. And then the enjoyment or walking to the ground and awaiting the first bounce. The fact we've won far more games than we've lost in recent years only adds to the enjoyment.

Each to their own of course but I eagerly await next Friday night for the footy, and the enjoyment, to start again :D
Spot on :wink:

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. Whilst I was not brought up here in Australia watching the Saints, I spent many a Saturday afternoon (and foggy Tuesday evening) traipsing along to lower division soccer matches in Yorkshire with my Dad and best mate. Loved it. Nowadays I go along with my mates from here to watch the Saints.

For me, watching sport is a quintessentially male tribal thing. Nothing against others for whom it is more of a family affair, and I do like the fact that there are plenty of female AFL fans, but for me, it's about discussing the team line-ups and tactics in the week before; catching up for a beer before and during the game; spilling my drink and spitting my pie when something amazing happens on the field; having a bit of banter (sometimes abuse :oops: ) with other fans around me both Sainters and otherwise; and then piling out of the exits afterwards with all the other rabble who come along for their weekly footy fix; and then looking forward to the next weekend when we get to do it all again.

A heady and intoxicating brew.

Go Saints.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Leo.J
SS Life Member

I just take one week at a time.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Agree with original post. Am I looking forward to the season as much as collingwood or Geelong this and the previous years? Absolutely not.

Because of the emotional pain.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have to agree with the Doc. Enduring year after year of under-performance in the past, cannot be called "enjoying your football."

Take the recent years of success and treasure it - unlike those at Richmond. Trust me, winning far more than you lose, is most enjoyable, as at least you turn up to each match knowing that on any given day, "we can win."

Only one team can win the GF each year. Just to be in the final series is exciting. To win a GF would of course be the ultimate, but there is more to life than winning a GF. :roll:

saintnick12
Club Player

I agree with you Dr Spaceman.

As disappointing as each GF loss has been (and I was at all 3), I got over it much quicker than I thought I would. I thought about that a lot this past summer and realized that as much as to win the premiership would be amazing (and we had a glimpse of that when BJ marked and we hit the front), the reality is that it's as much about the journey. We spend six months of the year (7 if you count the NAB) going to games. It's the experience of going every week. I go with my parents and 15 year old son, and I'm starting to take my 3 year old son and watch his love of the Saints grow. I love all the footy shows during the week. Even my husband who doesn't come to many games loves all the shows and Saints talk. I love waiting for the teams to come out on a Thursday night and the discussions of who should be in or out. If anyone asks us to do anything, we have the check the fixture first. :wink:

The experience of going together is fantastic. I love our special seats, clapping the boys off after a great win, singing the song and going to social club for drink before heading home. it's all part of the experience. I love the fact that 10 years ago we went every week knowing we would most likely lose, then came a period where we were 50/50, then in 2009 and 10 to an extent, we turned up every week expecting to win.

I don't know what 2011 brings, but what I do know is that we'll be there, cheering the boys on, and hopefully singing the song at the end after another great saints win. Then watching the replay and reading and hearing all week about how great we were :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I'm with 8/10 so far

for me it's the experience- and a cahnce to feel highs and lows that are not my responsibility, to get emotional and emotive and know that the result will not be the last one-- there will be next week

and like saintnick12- these days there's a fair chance the saints will prevail

2010 last game has hit me harder than I expected and retribution is required....
BUt I beleive the team and club will do what they can..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GRAMophone
Club Player

2009 - Clearly the best team with almost the perfect season - still hurts - A LOT

2010 - Rising above unremitting adversity to progress to the most dramatic sporting event I've ever witnessed - then to ultimately lose to the hated filth - will hurt FOREVER

I thought I might try to be a bit more dispassionate this year - watch from a distance, maybe not go as much BUT the hope and excitement are back as usual and the thrill of the journey wins over again.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
wasaintsfan
Club Player

watching the saints is watching the saints... even on replay im vocal :P

i honestly cant wait.. this year is the year people

2011 the saints go to heaven =D
2010 lets do it again =P

cant wait for round 5:P first game i get to attend =D =D =D =D =D im so happy :'(

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I ten to agree with the OP.

However, I have been thinking. We have been up for....this will be 8 years. Much much closer to the end than the beginning. And without being a pessimist, its going to be a quick hard fall. Im going to enjoy it while I still can. I look at teams like Melbourne,Essendon etc and think back 2003. Would love to have that future to look foward to again. I just hope to god we have one big last effort left in us, thats about what we have left.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

since 04 weve lost guys like hamill gehrig harvey jones hudgton ball maguire voss

even guys like penny shwarze etc

but yet we still keep contending

thats our enforcer
a dual coleman medalist
a dual brownlow medalist
one of the most creative players in recent history
one of the best fullbacks to ever play the game
one of the toughest in and under players we've had
a talented kid who had the world ahead of him
and a player capable of being even better then his brother a 3 time premiership player/captain

there are a fair few more guys then that aswell

but yet we are still major contenders

just sit back and enjoy the ride and be sure that 2011 we will be right up there again :)

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I'm not. I'm dreading it.
Can't bear the thought that the first few weeks may show that our window has closed and that we will be mid table obscurity for another 10 years.

Hope I'm wrong but when I see the improvement Collingwood has made I just don't see it in us.
Hope I'm wrong x 2.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
linz
Club Player

Sorry guys, i just want to win one.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Sorry guys, i just want to win one.
We ALL do linz.

The question is whether we are going to enjoy the footy this year and I'm looking forward to it as much as ever despite the GF losses and the various scandals and dramas.

saintnick12
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
linz wrote:Sorry guys, i just want to win one.
We ALL do linz.

The question is whether we are going to enjoy the footy this year and I'm looking forward to it as much as ever despite the GF losses and the various scandals and dramas.
I think all the scandals and dramas are making me look forward to the "real stuff" even more

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
St Lenny
Club Player

Re: I was asked this question

3rd generation saint wrote:The lovely lady at the ANZ Bank at Werribee Plaza who I usually go to on a Thursday evening to do some banking knows i'm a passionate Saints fan.
She asked me if I was looking forward to the football season?
I actually had to think taking into account the results of the last 2 seasons and replied, ask me again at the end of September, though technically I should have said after the first Saturday of October.
I'm sure I will enjoy our wins, hopefully starting this Friday night, but in reality, until we win that last game of the season, I can't see myself really enjoying a season after the agony of being so close two years in a row.
Yep, I know what you mean. The last two seasons, though two of our most successful in our sad history mean little. I cant watch any of the replays, cause it all led to ...................... nothing but heartbreak.

Maybe its harder for some of us who have been doing it for such a long time. For me its a daunting task to back up again. No question about whether I will, just all the uncertainty and this summer we have had so much shyte to take. It makes me worry how the boys will cope. But most of all, when we win the bloody thing, I know I wont enjoy it the way I would have had we of won in 09.

Superboot
SS Life Member

I'm not sure how to feel.

I started last season still somewhat angry at having been the best team throughout the season only to blow the chance due to poor kicking for goal. Nothing less than a GF place would have done.

Starting this season feeling very disappointed after such a poor GF replay performance, but still feeling that we did well given the problems faced during the course of the season only ultimately to lose to what was clearly the best team. To reach the GF in 3 successive seasons would be a mighty effort, but to lose 3 in succession would be horrendous.

I also have the feeling that the club has decided that a few changes are in order and that if we were simply to keep plugging away in the same style then we would fall short again. I've no sense of how this is going to work out, but we'll know soon enough.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

When I see footage from our recent grand final apperances I get a horrible lump in my throat and I want a flag for our club so bad its crazy, but I cant help but be amped to watch our sainters play. I am going to take it one week at a time and enjoy the good as it comes.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
spert
Saintsational Legend

By not winning any of 3 consecutive grand finals, and putting up an uninspiring poor performance in the replay, we are justified in not being totally enthusiastic. Apart form Goddard, Gwilt, Zac, Lenny and maybe a couple of others, the rest of the playing group including the captain need to make quite a big statement on-field this season after letting the club down.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Have to be honest,most if not all home and away enjoyement has been sapped from me,last year was bad,this year is worse it appears.

It's been a long long heart breaking journey that's taken it's toll. I just feel the home and away season is a waste of time now until we win one,or we have a new up and coming list. We have nothing else to prove through the season proper,we've beaten everyone over and over again in the past 8 years,but still haven't won a flag,and opposition supporters have this all over us

This squad don't play the most inspiring footy throughout the year,which is fine when you're after a premiership,but it's just making the season itself less enjoyable after the three heartbreaks.

Don't get me wrong,a loss each week will still be as frustrating as ever,if not more so,but a win just won't have the excitement it once did

Sorry,but that's how I feel

Bring back the Lockett era
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Into my 52nd successive season of barracking for the Saints, and can honestly say I have looked forward to every one of them.

Mind you, I have been guilty in the past of wishing the end of certain seasons as early as June 1. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.