The Challenge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:absolutely love the youtube page. I feel much more connected to the club than I have in recent years.
agreed. the crappy old saints.com.au video which was unwatchable for many people sucked. but this is a more more endearing and useful initiative.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not knocking old school, but memory stops you from feeling the pain of balancing on your toes for three hours on the muddy terraces.

The experience was authentic but painful, I was at Cardinia park a few years ago standing and can tell you a bit of comfort doesn't go astray.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm not knocking old school, but memory stops you from feeling the pain of balancing on your toes for three hours on the muddy terraces.

The experience was authentic but painful, I was at Cardinia park a few years ago standing and can tell you a bit of comfort doesn't go astray.
With you on that gringo.

I'm extremely glad I had the experience of Moorabbin, the Social Club, the suburban grounds and even VFL Park. It is something the younger generation will never know. It will forever live in my mind as something to cherish, despite the lack of team success.

Having said all that, I love things they way they are today.

And at least on most occassions I can take a toilet break and not come back with my footwear covered in urine :)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I'm extremely glad I had the experience of Moorabbin...
yeah, where else was i going to see my first couple of real fights?
Dr Spaceman wrote:And at least on most occassions I can take a toilet break and not come back with my footwear covered in urine :)
you've got better aim than i do, then.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:And at least on most occassions I can take a toilet break and not come back with my footwear covered in urine :)
you've got better aim than i do, then.
It's not my aim I'm talking about :wink:

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Video now been removed from their YouTube page aswell.... WOnder if it isnt going to air tonight....

The Mullet
Club Player

After two weeks of filming within the walls of the St Kilda Football Club, the compelling Saints documentary, ‘The Challenge’, will be seen for the first time tonight on Channel 9, following the network’s telecast of The Footy Show. The documentary will also be aired simultaneously on saints.com.au.

And the great news for Saints fans is that if you miss the inaugural airing of ‘The Challenge’ tonight on Channel 9 after the Footy Show, it will be broadcast online at saints.com.au so you can watch it whenever you like from 11.30pm tonight onwards!
Interesting.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Video now been removed from their YouTube page aswell.... WOnder if it isnt going to air tonight....
it will be airing on Channel 9 after the footy show, also on the saints page

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

I finally got a reply from the club on their facebook page about the length of the doco.
St Kilda Football Club The entire documentary is around 25 minutes in duration.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Wonder why it's not on 7 or 10 as the Footy Channels - maybe they wouldn't give the Club airtime because it's a Club Positive.
Any way, great for 9 to show it following the Footy Show.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
SteveStevens66
Club Player

Does anybody know if the doco will be put on youtube? I can't watch anything on the website because I'm overseas.

Carna Saints!!!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

SteveStevens66 wrote:Does anybody know if the doco will be put on youtube? I can't watch anything on the website because I'm overseas.
Id assume it would be as they are posting all their "SaintsTV" videos on there. If not im sure it will find its way up there 8-)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I want to watch it .. But I don't want to feel miserable if it brings up memories from last or the year before....

asiu
Saintsational Legend

prepare to start feeling miserable again then.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:Wonder why it's not on 7 or 10 as the Footy Channels - maybe they wouldn't give the Club airtime because it's a Club Positive.
I'd say someone at nine saw it, realised the potential audience, and perhaps offered to buy the right to air it?

Would be good if the club got some $$$ for their trouble.

Yep Bernie, membership commerical is forgiven. :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Go Sainters Go wrote:Wonder why it's not on 7 or 10 as the Footy Channels - maybe they wouldn't give the Club airtime because it's a Club Positive.
I'd say someone at nine saw it, realised the potential audience, and perhaps offered to buy the right to air it?
Don't really trust Eddie's mob.

What's the bet they get Kimi to introduce it and comment on it :shock:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I understand the GC Suns pulled out of a doco deal with nine fairly recently.

I wonder if this is the spakfilla?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Just found this article hidden away on the AFL website

Behind The Challenge

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
IT'S FASCINATING to consider how brand works. There are brands that are created, manipulated, marketed, advertised and spun. Often these brands are mere myths, created to sell rather than to be believed.

This story is about one such coach, and how the ever-present media had coloured my view of his brand, and how one radio interview, and then one meeting more than 12 months later, have turned that initial negative view on its head.

That coach is Ross Lyon.

When he took over the reins at St Kilda in 2007, he was clearly uncomfortable with the media, despite many years as a player and assistant. He came across as introspective, uninterested in the key role of communication to his supporters, and he looked gruff and grumpy, almost monosyllabic. I gained this view from the same place as any other follower of the game - via TV, and radio, the first point of brand-building.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Don't really trust Eddie's mob.

What's the bet they get Kimi to introduce it and comment on it :shock:
I posted my original comments in jest but the more I think about this the more nervous I get.

Are Channel 9 simply going to run this as it is? Unlikely. I suspect there'll be some sort of intro. It may be done by Eddie, maybe by Garry Lyon. It had better not involve Kimi or Liz Hayes and it better not involve any excerpts from the 60 Minutes snow job!

The Saints have obviously commissioned this film to give something back to the fans who have "stuck fat". I will take most unkindly to any attempt to hijack this film for 9s own distasteful motives.

I'm a very level headed, easy going person but I will be p1ssed off beyond
belief if there's any attempt to Duthify this screening.

As I said I've developed a very bad feeling about this. I really hope I'm wrong!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's a big risk on their behalf if they did Doc.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Obviously Channel 9 has brokered some sort of broadcast deal with the club - there's no other reason why the original webcast time would have been pushed back.

For example, we give you x-amount and promise not to allow any sl**ts to sabotage it, and you make sure no one sees the whole thing until we're ready so we can stick a big "exclusive" watermark over it.

The club's gone to a lot of trouble to produce this thing, I'm confident they wouldn't give it up to Channel Eddie to "tabloid-ify" it.

I just dont want my alarm to go off in the moring with the news on the radio being all about the Saints again.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gee I hope you guys are right but it's really hard to trust any media outlet these days :(

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I understand the GC Suns pulled out of a doco deal with nine fairly recently.

I wonder if this is the spakfilla?
Like a GC doc is going to be a ratings winner.....BTW, have you been living under a rock the last 18 months?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ando051
Club Player

Just seen Gary Lyon do a plug for "The Challenge" to be shown tonight after the footy show. All he mentioned was a doco about "The Saints preseason with all the saint including Nick R, Sam G, Nick Dal and Zac D".

Channel Eddie better not stuff this up and just show the doco and not bang on about the pre season.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:Just seen Gary Lyon do a plug for "The Challenge" to be shown tonight after the footy show. All he mentioned was a doco about "The Saints preseason with all the saint including Nick R, Sam G, Nick Dal and Zac D".

Channel Eddie better not stuff this up and just show the doco and not bang on about the pre season.
My point exactly.

I'll be madder than I've ever been if they put a twist on this!