Our youngsters, who are the most likely to get an early game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our youngsters, who are the most likely to get an early game

Our youngsters, who are the most likely to get an early game?

We have the following who ar eyet to play a game.

Tommy Walsh

Nich Winmar

Will Johnson

Paul Cahill

And this years recruits.

For me it will be out of Winmar and Cripps.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Al Smith? He'd be a chance ...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah gotta agree with Smith. Looks ready.

Still waiting for an elevation for Gards....if it actually happens.

Walsh of course is still a rookie and I doubt it will happen for him.

Nick Winmar needs more time IMO and he will get it.

Jack Steven will get a shot I reckon.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I forgot about Al. Jack Steven has already played. He would have been in for Schneider I would have thought, butg must be lacking match fitness. Interesting the clubs lack of action re Gards. They were quick enough to put Gards on the long-term-injury list, but have done nothing since.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Interesting the clubs lack of action re Gards. They were quick enough to put Gards on the long-term-injury list, but have done nothing since.
Probably used as a carrot for the boys on the rookie list (particularly Archer and possibly Walsh) to see there was an opportunity available. It's given them 4 or so weeks to really finish the pre-season strongly and give it a real crack to first get onto the senior list, and then into the senior team.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

for me it is in order of probablity to debut:

T Ledger
N Winmar
T Walsh (rookie)
J Cripps
A Smith

Thats about it for 2011. Im still weirded out by Miles de-liting.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

In order:

Al Smith
Tom Simpkin
Jamie Cripps
Tom Ledger
Tommy Walsh
Sam Crocker
Will Johnson
Nick Winmar

Purely based on being "AFL ready".

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hard to argue with that Chris, although I think I'd have Winmar ahead of Crocker, now, as he has a much bigger body, as far as I can tell and seems to be showing a lot.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 23 Mar 2011 2:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Interesting the clubs lack of action re Gards. They were quick enough to put Gards on the long-term-injury list, but have done nothing since.
Maybe Walsh injured himself just after they did that, so they may now be waiting to see how Tommy is, fitness-wise, before making the call. A bit like how Australia waited till Mike Hussey got through his Shield game, before announcing who would go over to replace Bollinger at the World Cup.
The other thing of course is that the earlier they got Gardi on to the long-term-injury list the sooner he is eligible to play again, so that needed to happen as early as possible. There's no need to name anyone to replace him until someone is actually going to play that week, which keeps our options open.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Maybe Walsh injured himself just after they did that, so they may now be waiting to see how Tommy is, fitness-wise, before making the call. A bit like how Australia waited till Mike Hussey got through his Shield game, before announcing who would go over to replace Bollinger at the World Cup.
The other thing of course is that the earlier they got Gardi on to the long-term-injury list the sooner he is eligible to play again, so that needed to happen as early as possible. There's no need to name anyone to replace him until someone is actually going to play that week, which keeps our options open.
Still leaves open the option to play Archer early if, as expected, Kosi isn't ready and Stanley, for whatever reason, is not considered suitable.

Unlikely to happen yes; but option is available and may still be used.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly, they're keeping their options open, which makes sense. There's no need to rush into anything.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Archer plays on Hawkins Friday night (in the absence of Kosi/Gardiner)

Not saying it's gonna happen, just wouldn't shock me.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Archer plays on Hawkins Friday night (in the absence of Kosi/Gardiner)

Francis Leach on Twitter saying Archer is just about to be elevated.....so despite not being gospel, it is seeming more likely he will play....

Not sure he's sharp enough for a pretty fit-looking Hawkins though. Dawson is probably a better match-up, with Jimmy Gwilt to pull Mooney's pants down again.....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
SainterK wrote:You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Archer plays on Hawkins Friday night (in the absence of Kosi/Gardiner)

Francis Leach on Twitter saying Archer is just about to be elevated.....so despite not being gospel, it is seeming more likely he will play....

Not sure he's sharp enough for a pretty fit-looking Hawkins though. Dawson is probably a better match-up, with Jimmy Gwilt to pull Mooney's pants down again.....
Really? Well there you go... :shock:

Dawson (if he's right to play) on Mooney, Gwilt really needs less responsibility than minding a key forward as a lot of the ball is being fed through him now with Gilbert forward.

Taylor will probably be on Roo, Lonergan on Gilbert....

Archer and McEvoy can rest forward and give Scarlett some headaches if he tries to drift off (Gamble?) and double team Roo too much?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
St Chris wrote:

Dawson (if he's right to play) on Mooney, Gwilt really needs less responsibility than minding a key forward as a lot of the ball is being fed through him now with Gilbert forward.

Archer and McEvoy can rest forward and give Scarlett some headaches if he tries to drift off (Gamble?) and double team Roo too much?
I think we're giving Mooney too much credit. As Jimmy proved in the home and away game at the 'G last year, Mooney's not great at chasing his opponent. I still think that was Gwilt's best game for the club, and Mooney barely touched it. I dont think it will restrict Gwilt's creative ability.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Dustin Fletcher and Matthew Scarlett seem to struggle when their playing on physically imposing opponents. Think Brown, Kosi, Hale, Buddy and Bazza.

I'ld be thinking play Archer.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
SainterK wrote:
St Chris wrote:

I think we're giving Mooney too much credit. As Jimmy proved in the home and away game at the 'G last year, Mooney's not great at chasing his opponent. I still think that was Gwilt's best game for the club, and Mooney barely touched it. I dont think it will restrict Gwilt's creative ability.
Wasn't he on Pods that night?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
St Chris wrote:
SainterK wrote:
St Chris wrote:

Wasn't he on Pods that night?
Didn't Pods roll his ankle and go off early???

Dunno. You might be right though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:

Reckon Archer's more likely to play as our version of Hawkins rather than play on him.

Gershwin
Club Player

Zac plays on the Geelong tall closest to goal.
Gwilt on the tall at CHF, then its all about zone and hopefully free up Fisher.

2nd ruck is a real headache - can't see RL going with Archer - Kossie or Stanley for mine.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Zac plays on the Geelong tall closest to goal.
Gwilt on the tall at CHF, then its all about zone and hopefully free up Fisher.

2nd ruck is a real headache - can't see RL going with Archer - Kossie or Stanley for mine.
zac definite on tall close to goal. then id have j blake on other tall. jimmy and fisher and gram zoning off. raph and dempster to play tight on small fwds.

2nd ruck. has to be stanley. just has to be. whether hes ready or not i have no idea. but playing kosi would be an act of desperation and everyone else is just too short. plain and simple.

To the top
SS Life Member

Just to state the obvious :-

Sippos 75
Steven 41
Crocker 43
Winmar 32
Heyne 48
Stanley 47
Lynch 13
Simpkin Rookie elevate
Cripps 24
Ledger 59
Johnson 64
Smith 62
Cahill 74

These are the Draft pick numbers at which we obtained the 13 players on our list who have yet to debut at AFL level or have under 10 games of experience at AFL level.

These 13 represent 1/3rd of our list.

Hopefully there are a few Sam Fisher's amongst them!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'd expect to see a bit of Blake in the ruck.
It would surprise me if Stanley or Archer play.
I wouldn't be shocked if Kosi plays.
I'd like to see Armo and Smith out there.
Following Smith I'd put money on The Ledge being first out there this season for the newbies.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Looks like Winmar's very much in the running. Was named tonight in our squad for Friday night. Was one of about 10 on the bench, along with Rhys and Kosi. Gamble named at FF.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Looks like Winmar's very much in the running. Was named tonight in our squad for Friday night. Was one of about 10 on the bench, along with Rhys and Kosi. Gamble named at FF.
That is completely made up by the Fox show. They had Byrnes in the Geelong side and he is out injured.