SANDRINGHAM v Frankston report...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SANDRINGHAM v Frankston report...

Sandringham won but were out played by a quicker Frankston team in the second half.

List most likely to be play Senior footy in the near future (+ to -) -

Jamie CRIPPS is one player who looks like he is ready to play AFL. Ran the game out well and is all class when he has or doesn’t have the ball. Should play against Richmond.

Adam SCHNEIDER is the other player who appeared a class above. Reads the play so well and is a great decision maker with the ball. SAINTS will miss him until he returns.

Robert EDDY played really well from the back pocket - no turnovers and great by foot, looks a different player and is the general down back. Class above most senior listed SAINTS. I have said it before that they should have been playing him down back for the SAINTS. They cruelled him trying to turn him into a forward.

Nicholas WINMAR another player whose skills are AFL level. Runs to the right areas offensives and finds space - needs to do the same the other way. Needs to add size and he will be an AFL regular.

Will JOHNSTON has become a real tank. Kicks the ball a mile and attacks the ball and player with aggression . Gave the Zebras some real grunt up forward and will be vying with Archer for senior call up.

Daniel ARCHER played a really solid game - rucking and playing forward. Either he of Will JOHNSTON need to come in this week in KOSI’s absence. People have suggested he is a plodder but I see him as a lot more than that ala Travis Cloke - Stewart Leowe.

Tom SIMPKIN real solid down back and rarely gets beaten in one on one contests. He doesn’t take a backward step either which is a good asset for a backman. Is ready to go when required.

Paul CAHILL kicked 6 goals. . Seems very Simon BEASLY type to me. Takes a nice mark and is a great kick for goal but not much else to his game. I wonder if he will be ever be big, strong or quick enough to play FF in the AFL.

Alistair SMITH played well in the first half but then ran out of legs. Needs to put on some size to hold his own against the larger bodies. Is a bit of a touch player - but should get there.

Jarryd GEARY gees he is a goer but absolutely slaughters the ball and has no game vision at all. Maybe a reasonable option for an out of form Clinton JONES.

Nick HEYNE can play and does do some nice things, but doesn’t inject himself into the game. Is not prepared to work hard enough to really put his hand up. Must be frustrating because he can play. He may be another player who would benefit with run with midfield roles.

Sam CROCKER has all the tools except for a mans physique. Give him time and be patient ala Montagna.

Rhys STANLEY has obviously lost confidence. You can tell he has a basketball background when rucking or jumping for marks, he doesn’t jump into his opponent or through the fall of the ball. It is all straight up and down stuff. He dropped marks and missed shots at goal. Had a poor game and IMO is a long way off a recall but stranger things have happened.

Jack STEVEN obviously coming from a long way back with little preseason. Did some nice things but consistently got caught with the ball and didn’t play most of last quarter On the pine with groins iced. Is managing injuries and is a long way off AFL return.

Tom LYNCH is just a GOP at VFL level - not what you would expect from a 1st round draft choice. (ordinary selection IMO) They persist in playing him forward and he got towelled up by the Frankston captain - looked better when moved back. If he does make it will be as a Sam FISHER replacement not as a forward.

Spoke to Tommy LEDGER who said he was two weeks away - they are managing his injury conservatively.

Similar to the SAINTS game, Sandringham struggled for winners at the fall of the ball and players to extract the ball.

Ross LYON, Robbie HARVEY, David WHEADON, Steve KING, Paul HUDSON and Greg HUTCHINSON were all present. LYON is very relaxed in his approach to watching Sandringham. He doesn’t look like a coach who was there assessing his reserves with the intent of making changes to the Senior side that’s for sure!

Another was big BLAKE was rucking for Frankston. Wow I cant believe he was on our list Rookie or not he has not footabll ability what so ever.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 27 Mar 2011 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Excellent report.

We should have played Jamie Cripps against Geelong. I hope they remedy that this week. It's a pity about Tom Ledger. I'd stick him straight in too. Stephen Milne is finished. We need a replacement pronto.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sun 27 Mar 2011 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the extensive report Winmeister :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

much appreciated 8-)

so steven looks a way off, no puff from lack of preseason
eddy sounds promising ,maybe a back pocket instead of dempster.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Excellent report.

We should have played Jamie Cripps against Geelong. I hope they remedy that this week. It's a pity about Tom Ledger. I'd stick him straight in too. Stephen Milne is finished. We need a replacement pronto.
No doubt Milne is finished. Afterall we have played one game.

backit
Club Player

Another was big BLAKE was rucking for Frankston. Wow I cant believe he was on our list Rookie or not he has not footabll ability what so ever.

Was this Blake McGrath and does what you are saying is he is pretty much useless at the game? So an investment in attempting to make a footballer out of an athlete from another code that failed miserably, is this correct?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Great report. It will be appreciated by many readers.

With all coaches present, I see a change or two coming for next week.
Without panicking, let's hope so. :idea:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cripps didn't play out last week due to illness so realistically couldn't be selected.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Cripps didn't play out last week due to illness so realistically couldn't be selected.
Correct but it doesnt matter. He should have played anyway and the same with Steven.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Don't like the sound of things regarding Lynch. Saw him in the NAB cup and wasn't impressed. Doesn't seem to have any presence

Another opportunity awaits!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You are correct...

backit wrote:Another was big BLAKE was rucking for Frankston. Wow I cant believe he was on our list Rookie or not he has not footabll ability what so ever.

Was this Blake McGrath and does what you are saying is he is pretty much useless at the game? So an investment in attempting to make a footballer out of an athlete from another code that failed miserably, is this correct?
I couldn't remember his last name.

As an example Blake and another Frankston player were standing together at CHB. A Frankston player kicked the ball to Blake who must have thought his team mate was going to catch it, as it hit Blake on the chest and bounced off before he knew what had happened.

He is still pencil thin and has nothing else but height. A very poor Rookie selection - sh.t half of us on this forum could do better just by keeping an eye on the internet information available on players.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

But if he and his mates keep playing like that they wont have to worry about
playing one game in October...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
sasaint
Club Player

Just wondering what has happened to Walsh? Sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere but I was hoping he would help out Roo at some stage.

Patience young grasshopper
backit
Club Player

Re: You are correct...

WinnersOnly wrote:
backit wrote:Another was big BLAKE was rucking for Frankston. Wow I cant believe he was on our list Rookie or not he has not footabll ability what so ever.

I couldn't remember his last name.

As an example Blake and another Frankston player were standing together at CHB. A Frankston player kicked the ball to Blake who must have thought his team mate was going to catch it, as it hit Blake on the chest and bounced off before he knew what had happened.

He is still pencil thin and has nothing else but height. A very poor Rookie selection - sh.t half of us on this forum could do better just by keeping an eye on the internet information available on players.
Agree on that , I remember umpiring Scott Selwood as a junior and when as a 15 year old he went up to under 16 1/2 comp captaining the team he was a footballer with nous and skills (bad attitude sometimes) and now reading that some commenatators believe he will be the best of the Selwood Brothers (jury still out on that for me) but he is a footballer first not an athlete first who you can make a footballer. I think some clubs and recruiters got caught up in the fanatasy of Trent Croad making it or looking for the next Kouta when there are some very good players running around in leagues throughout the country who with the right resources behind them at a professional club who will make it, ie Michael Barlow and some of the other mature age players who are now being recruited, not every 15 - 17 year old who is an athlete will be a footballer.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: SANDRINGHAM v Frankston report...

WinnersOnly wrote:Sandringham won but were out played by a quicker Frankston team in the second half.

Jason CRIPPS is one player who looks like he is ready to play AFL. Ran the game out well and is all class when he has or doesn’t have the ball. Should play against Richmond.
Not bad for a 35 year old bloke but I thought he was happy as an assistant coach for Port... :P

Jokes aside, thanks for the report. I wonder did anyone catch the reserves game?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Sandringham won but were out played by a quicker Frankston team in the second half.

Jason CRIPPS is one player who looks like he is ready to play AFL. Ran the game out well and is all class when he has or doesn’t have the ball. Should play against Richmond.
Not bad for a 35 year old bloke but I thought he was happy as an assistant coach for Port... :P

Jokes aside, thanks for the report. I wonder did anyone catch the reserves game?
I caught second half - posted a couple of comments in the other thread.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bardon Saint
Club Player

One of Eddy or Polo for Baker's spot when he retires? PS. I haven't seen Polo play yet though :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
LYON is very relaxed in his approach to watching Sandringham. He doesn’t look like a coach who was there assessing his reserves with the intent of making changes to the Senior side that’s for sure!
Well he sure as heck should be. Great post. Thanks for that report. Bakes career is effectively over. We should try Eddy or Jones as a replacement for Bakes down back. Maybe try Armo in Jones run with role and inject Cripps and Ledger into the side. Our fwd line needs serious surgery. 6 goals from 50 inside 50's says it all.

Ross needs to have that hard chat with Bakes and for now Mcqualter and Peake need to do some time in the VFL while Cripps and Ledger get every opportunity to learn AFL footy. Bakes should spend the year in the VFL unless we get lots of injuries. Give him a farewell game later in the year as hes earnt it. Winmar also should play some games in replace of Dempster from time to time starting sooner rather than later.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well he sure as heck should be. Great post. Thanks for that report. Bakes career is effectively over. We should try Eddy or Jones as a replacement for Bakes down back.
what? why? was bakes really that bad on friday? who was he playing on?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well he sure as heck should be. Great post. Thanks for that report. Bakes career is effectively over. We should try Eddy or Jones as a replacement for Bakes down back.
he wasnt that bad. was on stevie j for a bit. i just think hes a bit off the pace.
i understand why people want to defend. obviously hes a saints legend.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
he wasnt that bad. was on stevie j for a bit. i just think hes a bit off the pace.
Pretty sure he played on Stokes nearly all night. SJ was in the midfield more than forward.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Plugger im not sure whether you know the answer to this but why do some posters seem to think a player is finished after 1 game? :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Pretty sure he played on Stokes nearly all night. SJ was in the midfield more than forward.
Thought Baker did well fri. Didn't look to have lost much... Competed real well against varcoe a few times and he is a quick unit!

Interesting re Stanley jumping upwards.. Now mentioned i have noticed it...
Last edited by Spinner on Sun 27 Mar 2011 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger im not sure whether you know the answer to this but why do some posters seem to think a player is finished after 1 game? :roll:
I think it is because footy supporters are illogical after a disappointing loss. I am sure most dont mean it and by the next game they are starting to think logically again.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we should be planning ahead on Bakes replacement but he looked ok on Friday. Al Smith is his long term replacement imo.

Lynch was ok and got better by the game in the nab. Glad to see some of the guys I'm really hoping come on play a good game for Sandy. Simpkin, Winmar, Smith, Cripps and Archer all are on my radar- they all have something about them that is intangible. Maybe that footy player before athlete thing. Johnson was my stand out player in the Nab though, he really looked like the penny had dropped for him, so good to see him keep it up, I feel Stanley might need to get to the same point, all the skills and little application.

Good to see Cahill have a few goals hope he works his arse off and becomes a player- 6 goals in any comp is a good achievement. I can't wait to see Siposs get a game at Sandy, I think the confidence players move up to a higher standard easier.