First the Bulldogs now the Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

First the Bulldogs now the Bombers

Interesting to hear in recent weeks, the media giving the Bulldogs and the Hawks a real chance to knock off Collingwood this year, now they get their backsides kicked and it the Bombers who are the big challengers -All this after one round!!!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Reactionary news articles that lack foresight sell more copies.

....maybe?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: First the Bulldogs now the Bombers

spert wrote:Interesting to hear in recent weeks, the media giving the Bulldogs and the Hawks a real chance to knock off Collingwood this year, now they get their backsides kicked and it the Bombers who are the big challengers -All this after one round!!!
media is desperate for a challenger. but pies look set for an essendon 2000 season. they are miles in front in reality.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who watched Essendon play us will know that they are the big improvers this year. Mind you, they did seem to play their best games against us in the last few years. Once again, it is the cleanness of their disposal which has improved almost overnight. It is no real surprise given that Mark Thompson is now back at the club. Couple this with their pace and they are a difficult team to corral. However, they are a very young team and rely very much on Jobe Watson, who will soon find himself AA.

If our window is almost completely closed, the Dogs' is slammed shut. I guess they know that too. Their best chance was on a fluky night in September 2009. Nick stole their dream. Alas, it wasn't to be ours either.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Whooa. It's early days yet and a very long season to boot.

Clearly, Essendon have been heavily trained for a good season's start (membership & fan credibity). Let's see how things setlle. If Jobe Watson is heavilly tagged each week, how will that impact on them?

For the Bulldogs and Hawks (and us), it shows how close/tight the competition really is - a couple of % off your game each week and you lose. It's hard to compete all year at that level - there will be a few that can't maintain the early pace. :!:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: First the Bulldogs now the Bombers

spert wrote:Interesting to hear in recent weeks, the media giving the Bulldogs and the Hawks a real chance to knock off Collingwood this year, now they get their backsides kicked and it the Bombers who are the big challengers -All this after one round!!!
Round one and round 22 results don't count.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It's funny when the media overstate things after one round. It is a long way from September, no one knows who will be injured who will do a Freo last year.

The Dons may be temporarily buoyed by the new coaching panel, who knows after the half way point you can usually see a theme, until then it's best to avoid writing off or declaring anyone.

The pies may even get a couple of key injuries, so just sit put and observe the season until you look like a genius for seeing the way it unfolds.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Dons were great yesterday. I've watched all their games to date NAB inclusive and they look a genuine improver, wouldn't be surprised if they push for the Top 4.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Crows looked magnificent also, but it was imprtant to note that their opposition (the Hawks) were playing an almost identical 'free-flowing' game, that resulted in the difference between the two sides being Buddy having a good day or not. The Crows might not be as impressive a prospect against a defensive unit...or they might be great. I said the same thing about the Pies last year.

I didn't see the game, but couldn't imagine the Dons encountering a lot of opposition, from a Western Bulldogs team that is badly down on personneldue to injury, retirement and departure (no Johnson, Harbrow, Minson, Hargraves, Gilbee, Lake, etc). Of course, they obviously did very well, but you can only measure them against their opposition at R1.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

After round 4 2010, Michael Voss was a coaching prodigy, the Lions could do no wrong, and the Pies were treading water at 3-1 having narrowly beaten Melbourne (1 pt) and lost to us.

The last 2 sure things I recall were Geelong in '08 and Essendon in '99.

Hmmm... Excuse me, off to put some money on Collingwood for 2012.... :twisted:

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bulldogs will still challenge....

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

As pissed off as I am about the way we played it is so early on its not funny.
Remember we beat Collingwood in round 3 (?) last year and then they turned the corner and beat us two times and a draw.
I just hope we don't all bloody die trying.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:...The last 2 sure things I recall were Geelong in '08 and Essendon in '99...
Yes, but in both cases, they won the flag the following year. I'd take that.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bulldogs will still challenge....
For 8th, I agree.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

IMO

Coll, haw, wb, carl, ess, stk, adel, geel, any order with coll at the top

Then

Freo, syd

Then

Kang, mel

Wce, port, rich in the next group

Bris, gc last two

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
For 8th, I agree.
I had them 9th :wink:

Reckon they loathe their coach, just a vibe.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
degruch wrote:
For 8th, I agree.
I had them 9th :wink:

Reckon they loathe their coach, just a vibe.
In reckon the only bloke who likes Eade is Eade.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'