Dear Ross FFS Leave Goddard at CHF or FF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

Dear Ross FFS Leave Goddard at CHF or FF

How many backmen do we need for God's sake.
ATM we have; BAKER, DAWSON, BLAKE, FISHER, GILBERT, GWILT, GRAM, CLARKE, DEMPSTER, GEARY,SIMPKIN, WINMAR & GODDARD.

IMO if ROSS is fair dinkim about his new attacking brand of football Goddard must be left at CHF or FF for an extended period NOT for half a game here and there. Can you see the opposition leaving Goodard alone off the ball to go triple team ROO I don't think so.

Cannot one of Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt or Clarke fill the roll of course not as well BUT are we playing attacking new branded football or what?

We have one of the top 5 footballers in the code and he plays a sweeping role across half back. Its got to go we need to start kicking 12 to 16 goals a game not 6 to 8.

Con keeps telling us with Jack ROO we would have one 2 flags by now well I bet my left nut Goddard would become a better FWD if Ross leaves him there to learn the spot and I further reckon it wouldnt take him too long to learn either. For God's sake leave him there for an extended period Ross please!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This thread needs more

8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. The forward structure (plus delivery) is the current problem. Put your best down there, or even rotate through there to make an impact/difference.

A player of Goddard's stature will certainly release blanket coverage of Riewoldt.

It's early days and a few things tried now, will be better than leaving it until it's too late. :!:

eppo67
Club Player

SainterK wrote:This thread needs more

8-)
And where was he next week across back plugging up holes. Well l reckon I'm not the only one who thinks are FWD line is our biggest hole.
Godarrd is a game winner ATM Ross has him as a goal saver just another defensive cog in a wheel that is already too defensive.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nice video..I would really like to see Goddard and NDS deep played in the forward line where they would do most damage. A forward line of Roo, Goddard and NDS would provide a lot of defensive headaches for opposition teams...clearly RL has no concept of attacking footy looking at Round 1, so maybe we will see a sudden turnaround against Richmond? anymore of that low scoring tripe and I will be losing a lot of interest very early in the season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Depends if you're talking 2010 or 2011 eppo.

Last year towards the end of the season, we could of had a forward line of Jack, Roo Buddy and BJ and it wouldn't of mattered much.

Need to get the ball in there, and quickly.

I still reckon we're working on increasing the entries, that appears to be the focus for mine.

The tinkering to the forward line personnel will come you'd think.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Goddard Roo Schneider

Gamble Kosi Milne

Should IMO be a 12...14 goal forward line,good in theory but you still need your mids hitting the score board also.Back line to me is and hasnt for a while been a problem

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Your set-up looks good to me Bergsone. Can't wait to getting them all on the park. However, Gamble is still a gamble to me.

Let's see what the coaches do this week :!:

eppo67
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Depends if you're talking 2010 or 2011 eppo.

Last year towards the end of the season, we could of had a forward line of Jack, Roo Buddy and BJ and it wouldn't of mattered much.

Need to get the ball in there, and quickly.

I still reckon we're working on increasing the entries, that appears to be the focus for mine.

The tinkering to the forward line personnel will come you'd think.
Good points but its not like there isn't numerous players who can't play Goddards current role ie Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt & Clarke and others on the way Simpkin & Winmar. Fwd 50 entries mean jack if they are not converted as friday night clearly showed.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup.

The improvement in accuracy of kicking for goal would give us a couple more goals a game alone... compare that to the prospect of Gilbert.

rexy
SS Life Member

Goddard is a midfielder, best field kick in the side, a general around the stoppages and a good decision maker coming out of the back line.

Why put him at FF wher he will only touch it a dozen times a game?

Maybe this year?
eppo67
Club Player

rexy wrote:Goddard is a midfielder, best field kick in the side, a general around the stoppages and a good decision maker coming out of the back line.

Put him at CHF and Roo at FF then.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Goddard is a midfielder, best field kick in the side, a general around the stoppages and a good decision maker coming out of the back line.

He's the guy in our team I'd choose to kick for goal if my life depended on it... can take a hanger too I'm told.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post!!!!!

rexy
SS Life Member

Midfield resting forward, not permanant forward. Just my opinion and Im sticking to it. You dont have superstar mid sitting idle.

Neil Elvis winmar could have been a champion forward too, but he was our best wingman!

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Excellent post!!!!!
Against the Dockers in rd 4 he had 21 disposals, 17 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 marks, 5 goals, 2 behinds, 3 tackles, 6 inside 50's, 1 assist.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Excellent post!!!!!
Against the Dockers in rd 4 he had 21 disposals, 17 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 marks, 5 goals, 2 behinds, 3 tackles, 6 inside 50's, 1 assist.
Presumably he wasn't at Full Forward for the whole game.

If he was, 5.2 is a pretty average return from 17 kicks :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dear Ross FFS Leave Goddard at CHF or FF

eppo67 wrote:How many backmen do we need for God's sake.
ATM we have; BAKER, DAWSON, BLAKE, FISHER, GILBERT, GWILT, GRAM, CLARKE, DEMPSTER, GEARY,SIMPKIN, WINMAR & GODDARD.
good point.

you reckon we'd be able to spare some quality resources for use up forward.

i was looking forward to seeing how gilbert would go, but apparently he doesn't feel "comfortable" in the forward line. :roll:

goddard would be magnificent as a forward (just as he is everywhere else) but I doubt we'll see it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
good point.

i was looking forward to seeing how gilbert would go, but apparently he doesn't feel "comfortable" in the forward line. :roll:

goddard would be magnificent as a forward (just as he is everywhere else) but I doubt we'll see it.
Maybe Goddard doesn't want to spend too much time up forward either :shock:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
good point.

since when do the lunatics run the assylum?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Nothing wrong with "rotating" him through the forward line. At CHF he could still have a prescence around the mid area.

He's a gun and will take pressure off Roo. Give it a try for a couple of quarters. The rest of the side's back structure won't collapse. :idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Correct. Plugger could have been FF on Friday and it wouldnt have made a difference. He would be a waste there and by the way he played forward for probably 30-40 minutes on Friday and had little impact.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
good point.

since when do the lunatics run the assylum?
And apparently Al Smith doesn't feel comfortable playing in the seniors so Ross is acceding to that request also :D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Excellent post!!!!!
I dont understand the relevance of this post....

Were the statistics for all Goddards other 140 odd games unavailable?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:since when do the lunatics run the assylum?
Correct. Ross, please ignore this thread. :wink: