Clinton Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't think he has been that bad, not what he was at his best but still worth persisting with. As I said in another post, a Richmond fan that I went to the footy with suggested we use him as an in and under player now Lenny is out. It does play to his strengths and minimises his deficiencies. He would be able to concentrate on getting the ball out to guys who use it well, no one could deny he puts his head over the ball.
With Schneider in for Leonard, that may well be the plan.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

even a badly out-of-form McQualter (ie, McQualter in his post-2009 mode) would actually be better than CJ. At least McQualter generally disposes of the ball pretty well by both hand and foot.
McQ is not a midfielder - has never succeded in the role and probably never will. Get the idea out of the ball park right now.

I would much rather see CJ trying to extract the pill from the bottom of the pack, poor skills or not, than McQ any day, sorry it's reality. McQ is just invisible for long periods now and we can't afford that.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
even a badly out-of-form McQualter (ie, McQualter in his post-2009 mode) would actually be better than CJ. At least McQualter generally disposes of the ball pretty well by both hand and foot.
McQ is not a midfielder - has never succeded in the role and probably never will. Get the idea out of the ball park right now.

I would much rather see CJ trying to extract the pill from the bottom of the pack, poor skills or not, than McQ any day, sorry it's reality. McQ is just invisible for long periods now and we can't afford that.
mcqualter seriously went mr invisible for 12 weeks straight last year. a few times ive had to look for him and been unable to find him yet i know hes in the team. so the disposal argument isnt a real strong one. he just doesnt touch leather most of the time. in fact he doesnt go near it for very very long stretches.

but cj is also in a bad place. has been way off his tucker for 12 months.

PJ
SS Life Member

but cj is also in a bad place. has been way off his tucker for 12 months.
His form has been poor carrying over from last year and I don't think a stretch in the 2's would hurt but I wouldn't give up on him yet. He has played games where he was able to get serious leather poison but I think Sandy is the place to find that form. I'm not sold on Gilbo either at the moment.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Dont think CJ has ever tagged Jobe Watson types... Pretty sure we let the in and unders go head to head...
That might be ok with Hayes as the head to head......not now.

Id tag Watson he is their engine. Stop him you go a long way to stopping them.

Also, we'd want a fair go at clearances cause they dismantled us last time here.

We'd also want to inject some run cause they will once again flood our fwd half, release the quick kick before storming downfield in a foot race leaving us behind.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:In form howver CJ did play some great games when he was not tagging.
agree. he was a key to our 2009. hasn't been the same since those collingwood guys ganged up on him like a pack of mongrel dogs.

personally I'd free him of tagging responsibilities and tell him to get the pill and move it quickly. very good player when on song.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:In form howver CJ did play some great games when he was not tagging.
agree. he was a key to our 2009. hasn't been the same since those collingwood guys ganged up on him like a pack of mongrel dogs.

personally I'd free him of tagging responsibilities and tell him to be creative. very good player when on song.
I suppose to be fair he was injured at times last year and has played one and a bit games in 2011.

Let's not be too hasty in declaring him "gone".

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

personally I'd free him of tagging responsibilities and tell him to get the pill and move it quickly. very good player when on song.
He needs to go to Bunnings and get a bag of cement.

Another opportunity awaits!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What for? :?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moccha wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What for? :?
Maybe he's building a patio :?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

rapid set???

Sainterone
Club Player

concrete shoes for the wobbles players?

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jones tags runners.....harvey, simpson, stanton, ablett, mcveigh, cooney...

He would be pushed aside by grunt inside mids......jobe would be too strong....cj is a strong runner..

....ie.if he played stk he would tag joey/dal not lenny or bj