starts with the ruck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

starts with the ruck

Man, we got smashed in the ruck, absolutely smashed.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, we have missed Gardiner a lot. Not sure if he'll have the same impact anymore. That's providing he does return.

Hopefully Kosi can add a little extra in helping out Mac.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

A rare glimpse of sanity amongst the madness... good call doggerel.

28 hitouts to 56. Bellchambers tore us a new one. Hope this isn't a long term problem.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We should be offering Bellchambers a contract now. We need a RUCK we should be looking at others that are already at clubs with big ruck brigades.

He is behind Hille and Ryder at the dons would be our first ruck.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Might be wrong, but I reckon Tom Bellchambers will be the No 1 ruck very soon, and not just at Essendon. Will command big bucks. Not bad for a pre season stab (the last taken). Someone must have known something. He certainly smashed our No 9 draft pick.

kaos theory
Club Player

I have yet to be impressed with mcenvoy.....

I appreciate big guys take longer, but he just ok atm....

We badly miss gardiner.....just like in the second half of the first gf when he went off injuried....

Ruck is one position we have not had a high-quality player for a long, long time...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Didnt think Mac was our worst today

Id love to see the hitout stats of Mac vs B'chambers and Stanley v B'chambers

Stanley was monstered but I reckon Mac went much closer to holding his own

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't just Bellchambers hitouts, he had a huge amount to advantage.

We don't just miss Gardiner for his excellent ruckwork, I reckon we miss the big guy because he is a barometer and his on field leadership and spark was underrated.

Cro
Club Player

Stanley's timing at centre bounces was laughable, really can't see him cutting it as a ruckman, he may be learning, but with some of his efforts you may as well have put Steven in there.

McEvoy is pretty good around the ground, but most of the time he gets beaten to it in the ruck contests, can't tell if he just doesn't have the leap, or he's just not great at the taps. The amount of times Bellchambers put it down the throat of a Bombers player or atleast to their advantage was a major reason we got beat so bad.

I think we need Kozi asap.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: starts with the ruck

doggerel wrote:Man, we got smashed in the ruck, absolutely smashed.

Yep. Most important and influential position on the ground.

Key to Collingwoods massive improvement.

You'll notice the only people that dont rate ruckmen and rate them on their ruck work are all forwards ie Gary Lyon.

This has been an issue for 10 years. McEvoy is developing well. But I dont understand for the life of me why clubs dont just trade a high draft pick(s) (ie collingwood, ie geelong) for a proven dominate ruck.

St Lenny
Club Player

Big Mac is not good enough to be No 1 rukcman at this stage and is a long way off. Gardy, not up to it, so we have a massive problem as there is no one else.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Stanley in the ruck was a joke, he was jumping 3 metres away from their ruckman, he was so terrified of making body contact.
Ben tries hard but has no vertical leap. It shows how important Gards is to our team.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Big Mac is not good enough to be No 1 rukcman at this stage and is a long way off. Gardy, not up to it, so we have a massive problem as there is no one else.
No leap and too slow of mind

Another opportunity awaits!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:We badly miss gardiner.....just like in the second half of the first gf when he went off injuried....
Yes we were terrible that half :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Liam_G
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Id love to see the hitout stats of Mac vs B'chambers and Stanley v B'chambers
McEvoy had 17 HO's with 4 to Advantage when rucking against B'Chambers. B'Chambers had 20 HO's, with 10 to Adv. against McEvoy

Stanley had 1 HO and 0 to Adv against B'Chambers. In turn, B'Chambers had 13 HO's with 3 to Adv.

Stanley got destroyed. McEvoy not as bad, but still soundly beaten.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is currently a B grade ruckman at best. Therefore, the better strategy would be to place himself in a position where the opposing ruckman has only one directional option available to him. This is what Trent Knobel used to do, and our guys would crumb to the opposing ruckman, knowing that the ball would spill to rougly the same area each time.

McEvoys biggest weakness is his inability to really get off the ground, and this is where guys like Kreuzer, Natinui, and Ryder have a field day against him.

I hope to God he improves, because beyond an elderly and battles-scarred Gardiner we have a big fat zero in the ruck department ( I mean real ruckmen, not pinch hitting tall forwards)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I think we should go back in time and get Dean Cox. Problem solved.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
PJ
SS Life Member

Sorry McEvoy has had his opportunity to develop and hasn't IMO he was by far the worse. Stanley can be developed due to his mobility, leap, speed - McEvoy has none of these qualities, in fact he reminds me a little of Kingy in his decline, slow and heavy. All McEvoy has is potential as a tall forward. It's interesting that he was our key ruck in both our recent floggings. Nothing personal he's just not up to it at this time. Next week Kosi and Stanley.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Sorry McEvoy has had his opportunity to develop and hasn't IMO he was by far the worse. Stanley can be developed due to his mobility, leap, speed - McEvoy has none of these qualities, in fact he reminds me a little of Kingy in his decline, slow and heavy. All McEvoy has is potential as a tall forward. It's interesting that he was our key ruck in both our recent floggings. Nothing personal he's just not up to it at this time. Next week Kosi and Stanley.
Big Ben is a thousand to one to get dropped. He wasnt that bad at all yesterday considering his workload. Because of Stanley's inexperience he had to ruck more than he should of. It will be him and Kosi next game. Stanley may play as a forward but probably not.

PJ
SS Life Member

Best ruck combo last year

Gardy to hayes 10/10

this year

McEvoy to armo 3/10

If we go with McEvoy we are going to get pounded, especially without Lenny so someone better come up with a better plan than what we've currently got - if that's our best ruck option I'd say we're looking at about 11th or 12th for a finish on the ladder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Best ruck combo last year

Gardy to hayes 10/10

this year

McEvoy to armo 3/10

If we go with McEvoy we are going to get pounded, especially without Lenny so someone better come up with a better plan than what we've currently got - if that's our best ruck option I'd say we're looking at about 11th or 12th for a finish on the ladder.

Dont get those figures at all. Maybe you can explain.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Mc Evoy is copping a bit here...

i remember during preseason some were carrying on about mac winning a few time trials...i think he's proven time trial results are good for shite when it comes to playing footy....and playing it well....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

Where I would rate their effectiveness as a ruck combination.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Where I would rate their effectiveness as a ruck combination.
Well that will be unbiased then considering you want one dropped. And then to use Hayes and Armo makes it seem even fairer afterall they are both of the same standard.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

silly thread

McEvoy is hardly the problem. He's hardly a problem.

He's competing at a reasonable standard and gradually improving.

People need to keep a level head. Just because we're losing doesn't mean everything is wrong with everything.

Lets get Rix back ffs